Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Younger generations and retro gaming.

Viata

Arcane
Thank you for selling it. The Japanese retro video game stores were healthy because people would buy a game, play it until finish it and then sell it back, so more people could play those retro games(on a real video game, instead of emulators). Then the foreigner collector's fag learned about it and decided to buy all those games and making those japanese video game store sell those games even more expensive since they know foreigners are killing their retro buying-selling back system.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I don't think kids have been getting dumber because that makes no sense, but i do belive that they have been strongly conditioned to follow orders and being told what they should do.

This.
I don't think people are getting dumber. It's conditioning, as you say.

I love using myself as an example, because I know I was the kind of moron who kept getting killed by the skeletons in Dark Souls without realizing that maybe they were too strong for me and I was meant to go somewhere else. Or when I first played Skyrim after only playing Final Fantasy linear JRPGs, so the idea of an open world was too much for me to bear at the time (meanwhile, casual players were familiar with games like GTA which, although not 1:1 the same, were still based on the idea of "go around and make your own fun").

Palomides

Augur
I'm sort of going through this experience. A friend of mine, around 30, decided to dive into Baldur's Gate 2 after expressing an interest in RPGs. He mostly plays games like Alpha Centauri, so I thought it honestly wouldn't be a big deal. It's been 2 weeks and he's still in the fucking Chateau Irenicus. I have told him to read the manual; he has glanced through it. He's a fucking single-class cleric trying to be a warrior, and he was stuck for hours in the room near the very beginning where you have to turn the machine off or whatever. He just could not grasp it, I had to tell him to examine everything. Instead of moving his character next to the switch, he just kept clicking on it and was wondering why nothing was happening. He's given up for now.

People can see, people can read, but they cannot learn.

Hobknobling

Learned
I'm sort of going through this experience. A friend of mine, around 30, decided to dive into Baldur's Gate 2 after expressing an interest in RPGs. He mostly plays games like Alpha Centauri, so I thought it honestly wouldn't be a big deal. It's been 2 weeks and he's still in the fucking Chateau Irenicus. I have told him to read the manual; he has glanced through it. He's a fucking single-class cleric trying to be a warrior, and he was stuck for hours in the room near the very beginning where you have to turn the machine off or whatever. He just could not grasp it, I had to tell him to examine everything. Instead of moving his character next to the switch, he just kept clicking on it and was wondering why nothing was happening. He's given up for now.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

Humbaba

Arcane

Tbf, BG2's ruleset is really unintuitive and the game explains nothing. Before I first attempted BG1 I looked up a couple of guides because I knew nothing about 2ed ADnD. Fallout maybe would've been a bit more accessible for a newcomer to the genre. Or just BG1, Candlekeep is a much better general tutorial than the Irenicus dungeon.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut

Tbf, BG2's ruleset is really unintuitive and the game explains nothing. Before I first attempted BG1 I looked up a couple of guides because I knew nothing about 2ed ADnD. Fallout maybe would've been a bit more accessible for a newcomer to the genre. Or just BG1, Candlekeep is a much better general tutorial than the Irenicus dungeon.

You know a cure for not knowing the ruleset is? Reading AD&D 2E's rules. Wow that's so hard to do...

Narushima

Cipher
That's the difference between playing a game made in 2000 and 1989, for your old brain to understand.
Given the exponential change video games have know over the course of their history, that's not really a fair comparison.
There is far more difference between Arkanoid II (1989) and Delta Force (2000) than between the original Skyrim and something released today.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
You know a cure for not knowing the ruleset is? Reading AD&D 2E's rules. Wow that's so hard to do...
...Jim, I literally just said I did that. Those guides weren't just for finding out how to roll and store stats.

I'm literally looking at the user manual for BG2. It is 266 pages long with about 200 dedicated to the rules of the game. You were saying what exactly? That you are too stupid for AD&D 2E?

Pound Meat

Prophet
One of the greatest lies that were perpetrated is that zoomers are technologically proficient on any level (mostly propagated by the ridiculous notion that OMG THEY WERE BORN WITH CELLPHONE ON THEIR HANDS SO CLEVURRRR). That entire generation is completely inept when it comes to anything tech-related that doesn't involve swiping in one of the four cardinal directions.
This is obvious to ANYONE who has ever interacted with a kid in the last 10 years. I've known hundreds of 14/15-year-olds who didn't know how to turn on and off a computer, didn't understand the difference between your local OS and Google Drive, and couldn't differentiate between a computer and a monitor.

Little geniuses.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
I'm literally looking at the user manual for BG2. It is 266 pages long with about 200 dedicated to the rules of the game. You were saying what exactly? That you are too stupid for AD&D 2E?
:codexbabies:

That's more accurate. I'm not sorry that you're a retard that can't understand a simple pen and paper RPG. Stick to Chutes and Ladders since it seems more your speed.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
...Jim, I literally just said I did that. Those guides weren't just for finding out how to roll and store stats.

You shouldn’t have to read a manual in order to understand a game, it’s an archaic game element.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck

You shouldn’t have to read a manual in order to understand a game, it’s an archaic game element.

Here I thought you were smart, but I guess not. Gee willikers retard, but BG2 was released at a time when people were literate and could think. They didn't need in game hand holding to show people how to play the game. You'd hate the fact that there wasn't any quest markers or any other childish hand holding to make you special snowflakes succeed in the game.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
No, I said that I knew nothing about ADnD going into BG, which is why I read up some guides, which explained the ruleset.

No, this is what you said that I replied to.

Tbf, BG2's ruleset is really unintuitive and the game explains nothing.

I proved you wrong with the game manual that it does show you how to play the game and explains it. Did you play a pirated copy per chance? If so then that's your failure and not the game's.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
When I first played BG2 I did so on a pirated copy from Romania. It was the original English version, but my English wasn't even fluent yet at that time. And it didn't come with a manual, because pirated CD.

I still managed to play it just fine. I didn't understand that negative AC is better so I didn't equip armor on my dudes lmao, but I still managed to get pretty far into the game. Most spell effects are self-explanatory. The interface is very good and easy to read, I learned most of the mechanics by doing, like how to memorize spells etc. Managed to defeat Firkraag and the Shadow Dragon despite not fully understanding the D&D rules, just by looking at what happened on the screen and reading the combat log and making decisions accordingly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom