Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Cyclopean is an upcoming Lovecraftian dungeon crawler from the creator of Islands of the Caliph

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Cyclopean (Schmidt Workshops); Schmidt Workshops

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2958790/Cyclopean/

Trapped in the Vaults of Zinn!
You are Randolph Carter, old dreamer and friend of cats. The spiteful and mischievous zoogs, after making an unholy alliance with the ghasts, have imprisoned you and several cats in the haunted, cyclopean Vaults of Zinn. You must find the exit of the vaults and rescue as many cats as you can, or die trying.

Rogue-Like Dungeon Crawler
The game is a grid based dungeon crawler, with a procedurally generated dungeon and rogue-like gameplay. Each play-through is unique, with perma-death, and a summary of your play-through will be presented at the end. The game currently stores your top 10 play-throughs for review.

Turn Based Combat
The gameplay and combat is all turn based, allowing you to make strategic decisions.

Upgrades
The current build of the game has a simple upgrade system. You can gain levels by fighting monsters and thereby gain "life" and "skill". Life is just health (but it fits into the UI better) and skill effects your ability to hit enemies.

You can also find swords which increase your damage and shields which increase your defense. This feature was very much a product of the limited time of the game jam, and I will be thinking about ways to enhance it.

New Features
I am considering some new features to add to the full release. Among them are a larger dungeon, more monsters, better upgrading system and having the cats join your party in some way. I do hope to do this without diminishing the simplicity and ease of access that the current version has.​

Hellion

Arcane
gJgtJmH.png

GOTY confirmed.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Its from a game jam so I'm guessing nil. Such things are generally barebones with a single gimmick, and this one's gimmick is clearly the aesthetic. Still, some of these things do go on to become interesting later on after many updates.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
yea i agree

its a shame all we have nowadays are small artsy gimmicks like this and Hibernaculum

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
That might be the worst aesthetic I've ever seen. Looks like viewing a game through shitty nightvision goggles. Somebody tell the dev to stop before it's too late.

Contagium

Savant
Patron
I didn't care for Islands of the Caliph at all, with PRAISE ISLAM constantly screamed by the NPC's, along with the boring combat and exploration. And now another Lovecraft tale...yawn

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Damn I thought this was going to be the other Cyclopean game that Vic talked about :(

almondblight

Arcane
Does anyone remember the dialogue demo for Iron Tower's/Scott's Cyclopean? It was pretty cool, even a simplified game built like that would have been better than most of the stuff out there. Scott - apparently Scott Hamm - ended up doing work on a bunch of other games at least, and seems to be still active as a freelance RPG writer going by his LinkedIn profile.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Video compression cannot deal with graphics like that.

This game would be a complete nightmare to stream, watch videos of, etc.
Obviously of no impact for playing, but if the dev wants to spread the word the way that words are spread nowadays, this art style is an absolute hindrance.

Arvennios

Educated
I thought the Islands of the Caliph looked somewhat decent, so why the awful 2-color palette graphics from the late 70's ? God, what an eyesore, it's so bad it could permanently damage your vision.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom