Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News 4D10 Risen 2 Will Be Using Steam

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Tags: Piranha Bytes; Risen 2: Dark Waters

<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>On the World of Risen forums, Deep Silver rep doberlec has posted that Risen 2 will be using Steam for copy protection.&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<blockquote>
<p>I&rsquo;d like to give you an update on copy protection for Risen 2. We know that this topic is important for you which is why we want to be as transparent as possible. As mentioned before on several occasions, we regularly evaluate copy protection systems on the market for our product portfolio. In our role as publisher for entertainment software, a set of basic requirements has to be met by the technology we deploy:</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Security: The copy protection scheme in question has to be very secure for the customer as well as the publisher.</p>
<p>Compatibility: The technology has to be compatible with all hardware components out there.</p>
<p>Comfort: The protection has to add value to the player aside to its protective behaviour.</p>
<p>Support: The technology has to provide us the means to help customers if the product is not behaving in the expected manner.</p>
<p>Reliability: The scheme has to be proven stable over multiple years and many products.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>We diligently reviewed many solutions in the last couple of years and in the case of Risen 2 we decided to use the Steam-Plattform from Valve on a worldwide basis.The reasons we decided to go with Steam are:</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Steam offers an automated update system which allows all customers to play the latest version of Risen 2 since all patches will be delivered automatically to their PC. Steam has been running stable on millions of PCs out there, so it provides the reliability we need. The digital copy of Risen 2 will also not require two different copy protections on Steam (compared to Risen 1).</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Risen 2 will be playable without a DVD in the drive if the product has been added to a Steam account (Steam accounts are free) and will be available for download on other PCs if you&rsquo;re on the move and still want to play Risen 2. The Steam account itself has been further fortified by the optional Steam Guard system which adds another layer of security. Steam also offers a big array of community features: chats, game groups, achievements and the player can even upload up to 1000 screenshots to share his/her experience in the world of Risen 2. All those features convinced us that Steam offers the right package of features, reliability and security for us.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Naturally we also wanted to keep the restrictions, which are part of any copy protection, as unobtrusive as possible. You will only be required to be online once &ndash; to link your game to your Steam account and afterwards you will be able to play offline and without DVD in the drive. You will also be able to install Risen 2 from your Steam account on as many systems you like.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>The post can be found <a href="http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/showthread.php?t=1030435">here</a>.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14330">RPGWatch</a></p>

ortucis

Prophet
Security: The copy protection scheme in question has to be very secure for the customer as well as the publisher.

Yeah, Witcher 2 developers even added another layer of protection in a patch to make the game securererererer.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Whew! Thanks, Deep Silver, I'm glad you guys are around to keep my games secure.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Better than SecuRom or Tages. Of course... here's hoping it doesn't contain those above and beyond Steam.

Shannow

Waster of Time
:x
As if Securom and TAGES weren't bad enough.
The first PB game I'll not be buying... :(
Oh and:
Security: The copy protection scheme in question has to be very secure for the customer as well as the publisher.
Nope. Cracked within days. Usually also leaked and released before the real product.
Compatibility: The technology has to be compatible with all hardware components out there.
The cracks usually are...
Comfort: The protection has to add value to the player aside to its protective behaviour.
Bloat/spy/malware, oh how comfortable you are... :roll:
Support: The technology has to provide us the means to help customers if the product is not behaving in the expected manner.
Read: If you don't behave according to our wishes we'll not only cut you off from playing Risen 2 but from all those other games you legally bought rented.
Reliability: The scheme has to be proven stable over multiple years and many products.
Reliably preventing a second hand market of legally bought rented products.
Steam offers an automated update system which allows all customers to play the latest version of Risen 2 since all patches will be delivered automatically to their PC.
Even if the patches are broken or change stuff the player didn't want changed.
Steam has been bloating, spying, maling more or less stably on millions of PCs out there, so it provides the control and information we need.
Fuck you very much.
The digital copy of Risen 2 will also not require two different copy protections on Steam (compared to Risen 1).
Yay, only the worst of two useless "copy protection schemes". Skipping copy protection and going straight for DRM.
Risen 2 will be playable without a DVD in the drive if the product has been cracked (cracks are free) and will be available for download from TPB on other PCs if you’re on the move and still want to play Risen 2.
Or you could just take the DVD with you...
The Steam account itself has been further fortified by the optional Steam Guard system which adds another layer of security. Steam also offers a big array of community features: chats, game groups, achievements and the player can even upload up to 1000 screenshots to share his/her experience in the world of Risen 2.
Useless shit *puke*

Fuck, I can't even buy the product and then crack it because I'd still be supporting motherfucking steam(ing pile of shit).

Suchy

Arcane
That's it then. I bought Risen 1, but I don't have Steam account and I won't have Steam account. I just won't physically remove it from an inventory.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I must say, Steam is probably the least crappy DRM out of all of them. Still a crappy DRM system though.

I had a nice LOL at this:
Comfort: The protection has to add value to the player aside to its protective behaviour.

What bloody value does a DRM system add to the player? It only takes things away. Like the ability to re-sell the games. And quick start-up times.

hakuroshi

Augur
If one already uses Steam, I see no problems beyond one's already having.
If, on the other hand, one doesn't want to do anything with Steam, regardless of his reasons, that's bad news.

Norfleet

Steam is value-added in your game in the same way dysentery is value added in your water.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
I can kinda see where they are coming from. I recently purchased Risen on ebay after playing the demo on steam. It was ten dollars cheaper and I get a box, a manual and whatever cool stuff. I'm liking the game so far and I would like to give the devs some money.

This is why they should just drop some 5.99 DLC twice a year. So far Risen is a fun experiance and I am left wanting. As of now I would pay for DLC.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Kaanyrvhok said:
This is why they should just drop some 5.99 DLC twice a year. So far Risen is a fun experiance and I am left wanting. As of now I would pay for DLC.

Replay G2. :M

I was a bit disappointed with the length but, then again, it's about as long as G1: 30ish hours.

SoupNazi

Good. Can't wait for the Codex butthurt.

Oh wait I'm already late.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
No biggie for me. I had to install Steam for New Vegas. It's a shitty piece of software, as e.g. the offline mode NEVER works for me, but it's not the devil some make it to be.

torpid

Liturgist
Will pirate
captainpirate.gif

That's too bad, because along with KOTC2 it was the RPG I was looking forward to this year (AoD is for 2020). If I'm feeling super conscientious I'll donate to Piranha Bytes or something.

Also, am I the only one who has the urge to call them Piñata Bytes? It must be my inner Mexican.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I'll still play it. Hurray, I get to have lotsa lotsa fun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom