Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Wonders 4

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I hate the cartoon looking world. Looks like a downgrade compared to the 9 year old AoW3.

ageofwonders4-screenshot-1.jpg

ss_2d31515d9eb07d2bd429b63a43f6dbf0707b18ca.1920x1080.jpg

Last edited:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
The UI/controls are always terrible in this series. Whoever designs it should get aids.
Haven't heard of any aids ridden team making a good UI, have you heard different?
I heard people like that typically spends time by pushing penis into butt of his coworker. Thus yea, health problems on top of that will not improve theirs work quality.

However I'm not really sure what are his problem with AoW3 UI, because I was able to play AoW3 without problem. Games that are designed for controllers have far worse controls.

Norfleet

I was watching a stream where the guy set the player distance setting to far and he actually played for like an hour and a half without encountering any other players on the map... after which his game crashed during end of turn processing and bricked his save, forcing him to restart. :lol:
And that's the other problem: If you have few opponents, the map will be huge an empty, if you have many opponents, the map is too small, because you can't adjust the map size to the size of game you're trying to play.

See, this is what I mean by too small. It's been barely a few turns and someone is already surrounded on all sides by 3 or 4 different factions.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It depends on what you mean by "DRM". You need to have a Paradox account to use their servers, but iirc there's no authentication required to get it, you just have to register as if you are registering on the 'Dex. You don't need a Paradox account to play singleplayer/hot-seat or any form of LAN.

Absinthe

Arcane
So it's more like old Battle.NET than the Triumph servers bullshit AoW 3 pulled? If so, that's okay then. AoW 3 full-on directs you to a website to "purchase AoW 3" from the game if you decline to use a Triumph account tied to your serial while trying to do multiplayer, so that tells you their attitude towards this shit. They went out of their way to neuter PBEM and LAN modes and initially blocked off singleplayer too before GOG told them to knock it off, but GOG is too willing to let multiplayer functionality get completely DRM-walled. I can understand not being able to connect to official servers, but if you make the official servers the only multiplayer option (no direct IP, LAN, PBEM, etc.) then it's just full-on DRM crippleware.

Last edited:

Late Bloomer

Scholar
It depends on what you mean by "DRM". You need to have a Paradox account to use their servers, but iirc there's no authentication required to get it, you just have to register as if you are registering on the 'Dex. You don't need a Paradox account to play singleplayer/hot-seat or any form of LAN.

Did you link your Steam account?

Reality

Learned
I don't normally care about lore, but Inioch not being part of the first generation of elves anymore is really lame ... Who does he keep the highmen secret if their are elves older than him?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath

Did you link your Steam account?
I have AoW3 on GOG. That's what I'm basing this on.

Reality

Learned
Watching a stream and within 10 minutes he's rushed buyed , rally of lieges, independent vassal city, unit, and city population...

Funny that there's like 6 resources on top of screen and gold can just instantly be used in place of just about all of them.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
So how is it? Any reason of getting this over AOW1 or Shadow Magic?

No, Both are so excellent that you should not be getting for 4 "over" them, however it will most likely a decent addition to the series, as was 3, not so much PF in my eyes,

So how is it? Any reason of getting this over AOW1 or Shadow Magic?
They were never that good, for one.
An overwhelming amount of options that hardly mattered past the most superficial flavor and a glacial pacing were two recurring issues.
If we were going to stick for "old school" I always liked Master of Magic better.

Anyway, updating you guys in few days, MAYBE, because I already bought this one on CDKeys.

Skorpion

Educated
A pretty decent showcase of 1v1 multiplayer pvp using simultaneous turns

Make of it what you will but it has me a bit intrigued

Reality

Learned
My main worries about this game

Races of play-doh men with no gameplay difference between them

The 6 culture (dark, high, mystic , feudal, industrial, barbarian) look like the 'real race / variety ' at first but they only add tier 1 and 2 units to your recruitment options and tier 3,4,5 are all tome units ... So it's kinda inevitable that two cultures use units that other cultures have same access too after turn 30 ... At best the cultures have age of empires like tech tree differences between them

Economy vety player favored in the quick boom style and every early streamer seems to float hundreds of mana/ all non gold resources

Passive ai is back

Norfleet

That map looks tiny. No way you'd be able to fit a full roster of players on it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom