Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alan Wake 2 - new survival horror experience from Remedy

Ash

Arcane
cult favorite IP
That's certainly not Alan Wake. Any "cult status" for this game was at best made up by shills.
Most likely. Yet I know from experience to still SLAM X TO DOUBT. There's a lot of cum dumpster consumers out there. It was also an Xbox exclusive for a time, and that demographic generally has the lowest standards of them all.

I love this game but because I always have soft spot for remedy and poets of the fall and a new poets song always get me excited.
Here you go. Peak modern age consumer. Purchases out of illogical emotion and because there is a single song within that you can just listen to on youtube for free without a giant stinking piece of shit attached.

Last edited:

Krice

Arcane
Developer
I think Saga Anderson is quite funny name, I bet they took it from a finnish pole vaulter chick Saga Andersson (with two s's). Devs been watching those pole vaulting videos like gentlemen they are.

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Oh, this is the fuck that's responsible for Quantum Break. I kept thinking about that fake "game" while watching a LP of this one. The exact same "ostensible video game that desperately wants to be a movie" vibe.

Also he's Finnish in real life, which explains the preponderance of Finnish people in this game. Really, his wikipedia page explained a lot, he's a real David Cage 2.0 type of "auteur".

dbx

Arcane
Patron
Holy shit, the camera is trash. Why is it centered on the fucking shoulder. Hell, it's even lower than the shoulder.
In order to center people's head when talking i have to rotate it to almost ground height basically

GrainWetski

Arcane
I think Saga Anderson is quite funny name, I bet they took it from a finnish pole vaulter chick Saga Andersson (with two s's). Devs been watching those pole vaulting videos like gentlemen they are.
Anderson is a retarded name. What the fuck is Anders on? Drugs?! Disgusting!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulta...urs-gate-3-goty-favorite-lose-to-alan-wake-2/

Could ‘Baldur’s Gate 3,’ GOTY Favorite, Lose To ‘Alan Wake 2’?​

This has been an insane year for game releases, and a horrible year for predictions, as I keep trying to figure out what’s going to win or even be nominated for GOTY, and I keep having to erase the entire chalkboard and start over again.

Earlier in the year, I defiantly declared that obviously The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom was going to win GOTY with its ultra-high critic scores and brilliant physics puzzles. But then a new favorite bowled over all its competition, Baldur’s Gate 3, one of the most elaborate, intricate, engaging RPGs of all time, and then it seemed like a clear favorite.

Recently we had Super Mario Wonder and Spider-Man 2, likely nominees, but I wouldn’t say winners. But now? One last time folks (I think), we have Alan Wake 2, a Dark (Place) Horse that could come along and win it all.

Again, we have to remind ourselves that when it comes to the “big” awards like The Game Awards, the voters are critics, game developers and other industry figures. This is why I think Baldur’s had a big advantage even if it was a somewhat niche genre compared to something more bombastic and accessible like Spider-Man 2. Or even Tears (though obviously yes, a ton of people have also been playing it).

But now? I am hearing critic after critic say that Alan Wake 2 is likely their game of the year, and developers are saying they wish they could work something as wild and revolutionary as what Remedy has done here, a blend of TV, books and video games that combines into a final product that’s instantly iconic and unlike anything else out there.

At this point, I don’t think it can be ruled out as a serious GOTY contender. In addition to all the praise, recency bias is a thing, and it has that going for it as what is likely to be the last big GOTY contender before the end of the year (sorry Modern Warfare 3).

That said, Alan Wake could win other awards that are not GOTY, best direction, performances, narrative, lord knows it would probably deserver any of them, but a lot of those can be linked together with the actual GOTY winner.

What is clear is that there are going to be games that in any other year, might have won GOTY themselves, and in 2023 they might not even be nominated or win a single award. So to rise to the top you have to be the best of the best and I think only a few games are landing in that stratosphere right now. Before it was Tears and Baldur’s. Now, I do think we have to include Alan Wake 2 in the conversation, even if that means shoving down more games that absolutely deserve consideration.

Alan Wake 2 doesn’t even have the highest metascore around this year at 88, with a bunch of games at 90+. But the innovation it brings and the types of people who like it make me believe that a few points under 90 isn’t going to matter when it comes to nominations and the eventual winner. My gut still says that Baldur’s Gate 3 is going to take it all, but Alan Wake 2 is a contender I can’t say I saw coming to this degree.

Oh my god Lois, this is going to be more rigged than that time Last of Us 2 won the game awards 2020.

• 1 - Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  • 2 - Doom Eternal
  • 3 - Final Fantasy VII Remake
  • 4 - Ghost of Tsushima
  • 5 - Hades
  • 6 - The Last of Us Part II

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Having the strong black female kill Alan Wake. In his own game.
Granted, it's a convoluted plan to save a third guy, and Alan doesn't really die, sort of, but it's quite symbolic of having the new strong female protagonist literally taking over Alan's own stuff. Similar stuff tends to happen in recent movies, repeatedly.
My interpretation of that scene was that Alan finally embraced his role as the Champion of Light as he was willing to sacrifice himself for other people (everyone, in his own words). Saga is still mostly stuck wanting to only save her immediate family though she did realize that she kind of just left Alex Casey hanging when he needed help. They don't really hide the fact that Saga is a relatively selfish person and only gets a bit better toward the end of the game.

And if not then maybe Remedy wants to hire me as a writer.

toughasnails

^So is Alan akshually a Gunslinger just like the dude from Salem's Lot and the dudes from The Stand?

lightbane

Arcane
My interpretation of that scene was that Alan finally embraced his role as the Champion of Light as he was willing to sacrifice himself for other people (everyone, in his own words). Saga is still mostly stuck wanting to only save her immediate family though she did realize that she kind of just left Alex Casey hanging when he needed help. They don't really hide the fact that Saga is a relatively selfish person and only gets a bit better toward the end of the game.
If that was the case, shouldn't Alan be the one sacrificing himself, and not be shot by Saga? Although I still have to watch a LP of this "game", so perhaps that was the idea but it's conveyed very pooerly.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
If that was the case, shouldn't Alan be the one sacrificing himself, and not be shot by Saga? Although I still have to watch a LP of this "game", so perhaps that was the idea but it's conveyed very pooerly.
She shot him with a Bullet of Light, it wasn't just a regular old gun shot. The scenes leading up to that are about Alan writing a story beat into the story where the hero must sacrifice themselves so everyone else can survive (though this was alluded to earlier in the story as well). The greater the sacrifice the bigger the effect/benefit.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
cult favorite IP
That's certainly not Alan Wake. Any "cult status" for this game was at best made up by shills.
Most likely. Yet I know from experience to still SLAM X TO DOUBT. There's a lot of cum dumpster consumers out there. It was also an Xbox exclusive for a time, and that demographic generally has the lowest standards of them all.

I love this game but because I always have soft spot for remedy and poets of the fall and a new poets song always get me excited.
Here you go. Peak modern age consumer. Purchases out of illogical emotion and because there is a single song within that you can just listen to on youtube for free without a giant stinking piece of shit attached.
Enjoyment of art is always subjective, you're just a loser who's miserable that people are having fun. I enjoy ad much as the average codexer mechanic heavy games but to limit the games created to that subset is just lame. Nevertheless enjoyment of art is subjective and should be as diverse as possible

ADL

Prophet
OP what the fuck? If this game is anything like the first, you don't classify this shit as "survival horror". Alan woke is an action game for starters, secondly it is a terrible action game. Popamole with a horror theme. That should be the thread subtitle.
It plays like Resident Evil 2 remake. Sam Lake debuted it as Remedy's first survival horror game when they announced it.

Also for what it's worth I love AW2 and thought the first game was incredibly mediocre aside from the atmosphere. If Control and AW2 are the level of quality I can expect from Remedy's one new game a year plan, we're in for a treat and I want to see what they're doing with Max Payne 1&2 on their Northlight Engine.

OttoQuitmarck

Educated
cult favorite IP

Bro it's a video gama, aka some code and pixels, not a fucking car. You're acting as if buying a game is supposed to be some highly intellectual perfectly rational act.

OttoQuitmarck

Educated
Oh, this is the fuck that's responsible for Quantum Break. I kept thinking about that fake "game" while watching a LP of this one. The exact same "ostensible video game that desperately wants to be a movie" vibe.

Also he's Finnish in real life, which explains the preponderance of Finnish people in this game. Really, his wikipedia page explained a lot, he's a real David Cage 2.0 type of "auteur".
Uhm...yea. Of course he's finnish. The entire studio is...

OttoQuitmarck

Educated
https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulta...urs-gate-3-goty-favorite-lose-to-alan-wake-2/

Could ‘Baldur’s Gate 3,’ GOTY Favorite, Lose To ‘Alan Wake 2’?​

This has been an insane year for game releases, and a horrible year for predictions, as I keep trying to figure out what’s going to win or even be nominated for GOTY, and I keep having to erase the entire chalkboard and start over again.

Earlier in the year, I defiantly declared that obviously The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom was going to win GOTY with its ultra-high critic scores and brilliant physics puzzles. But then a new favorite bowled over all its competition, Baldur’s Gate 3, one of the most elaborate, intricate, engaging RPGs of all time, and then it seemed like a clear favorite.

Recently we had Super Mario Wonder and Spider-Man 2, likely nominees, but I wouldn’t say winners. But now? One last time folks (I think), we have Alan Wake 2, a Dark (Place) Horse that could come along and win it all.

Again, we have to remind ourselves that when it comes to the “big” awards like The Game Awards, the voters are critics, game developers and other industry figures. This is why I think Baldur’s had a big advantage even if it was a somewhat niche genre compared to something more bombastic and accessible like Spider-Man 2. Or even Tears (though obviously yes, a ton of people have also been playing it).

But now? I am hearing critic after critic say that Alan Wake 2 is likely their game of the year, and developers are saying they wish they could work something as wild and revolutionary as what Remedy has done here, a blend of TV, books and video games that combines into a final product that’s instantly iconic and unlike anything else out there.

At this point, I don’t think it can be ruled out as a serious GOTY contender. In addition to all the praise, recency bias is a thing, and it has that going for it as what is likely to be the last big GOTY contender before the end of the year (sorry Modern Warfare 3).

That said, Alan Wake could win other awards that are not GOTY, best direction, performances, narrative, lord knows it would probably deserver any of them, but a lot of those can be linked together with the actual GOTY winner.

What is clear is that there are going to be games that in any other year, might have won GOTY themselves, and in 2023 they might not even be nominated or win a single award. So to rise to the top you have to be the best of the best and I think only a few games are landing in that stratosphere right now. Before it was Tears and Baldur’s. Now, I do think we have to include Alan Wake 2 in the conversation, even if that means shoving down more games that absolutely deserve consideration.

Alan Wake 2 doesn’t even have the highest metascore around this year at 88, with a bunch of games at 90+. But the innovation it brings and the types of people who like it make me believe that a few points under 90 isn’t going to matter when it comes to nominations and the eventual winner. My gut still says that Baldur’s Gate 3 is going to take it all, but Alan Wake 2 is a contender I can’t say I saw coming to this degree.

Oh my god Lois, this is going to be more rigged than that time Last of Us 2 won the game awards 2020.

• 1 - Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  • 2 - Doom Eternal
  • 3 - Final Fantasy VII Remake
  • 4 - Ghost of Tsushima
  • 5 - Hades
  • 6 - The Last of Us Part II
Nah there's no universe Alan Wake 2 will win the game awards. Just not happening. Bear sex 3 and zelda fanboys are way too big of a force to ignore in that sense.

dbx

Arcane
Patron
cult favorite IP

Enjoyment of art is always subjective, you're just a loser who's miserable that people are having fun. I enjoy ad much as the average codexer mechanic heavy games but to limit the games created to that subset is just lame. Nevertheless enjoyment of art is subjective and should be as diverse as possible
What is art, if not a subjective thing used to embezzle and launder money?

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

If Control and AW2 are the level of quality I can expect from Remedy's one new game a year plan, we're in for a treat and I want to see what they're doing with Max Payne 1&2 on their Northlight Engine.
:notsureifserious:
Hey, maybe guy just enjoys following a quest marker and complaining about magical whites who are responsible for all his issues?

911 Jumper

Educated
So first they race swap Saga turning her from white to black, and then they give her a line where she uses the term “white asshole”.

And the game's director and co-writer is Sam Lake, a huwhite man.

Imagine paying for this kind of racial humiliation prop, lol

Edit: just noticed I've been quoted. Sorry can't react to replies as I'm still a new-ish member

Iucounu

Educated
So first they race swap Saga turning her from white to black, and then they give her a line where she uses the term “white asshole”.

So the black heroine being racist is considered something normal by the writer? Sounds like the white writer has racial prejudice...

911 Jumper

Educated

So the black heroine being racist is considered something normal by the writer? Sounds like the white writer has racial prejudice...
I think for men like Sam Lake it's the expression of a kink. They get off on the idea of a world where black people humiliate white people.

DemonKing

Arcane
Finally got round to giving this a spin and I'm enjoying it so far for the most part. The first boss was a bit spongy but the atmosphere, voice acting, sound design and graphics have been excellent so far. I wasn't a big fan of the original (mainly for the repetitive combat) but this seems much more up my alley, although I'm not sure about the headspace mechanic where you magically teleport into an imaginary research facility and come up with remarkably accurate non-evidence based deductions.

I would say that it certainly helps to have played all the previous Remedy games though as the amount of meta-referencing is off the charts.

Iucounu

Educated

I think for men like Sam Lake it's the expression of a kink. They get off on the idea of a world where black people humiliate white people.
Or more specifically, where black people humiliate other white people?

911 Jumper

Educated

Yep, while whites like Sam Lake watch from a safe distance. All this stuff has been happening for decades, though.
The fetishization of blackness is something that's unique to the white population – the Arabs and Asians aren't doing this.

Iucounu

Educated

Yep, while whites like Sam Lake watch from a safe distance. All this stuff has been happening for decades, though.
The fetishization of blackness is something that's unique to the white population – the Arabs and Asians aren't doing this.
True. Some of the fetishization might be deserved, after all black Americans have made a huge contribution to Western popular music in the 20th century. But apart from that I suspect they're just being used as pawns by whites against other whites. After the 20th century Marxists failed to recruit Western workers for their cause, they've instead turned to women and minorities in order to create division in society, all the while pretending to be the women's and minorities' only real friends (they're not).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom