Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
This is still one of my favored maps in the game, but as expected, s-ranking it just involved pretty much skipping everything:

Got really good at hovering above the boss, and compared to the puny missiles i had on my first fight, those songbirds just wrecked his shit. Slightly harder to hit him dead center into the chimney compared to the missiles but still worth it.

TedNugent

Arcane
My final review of Armored Core 6 - became bored halfway through chapter 5 and never played it again. No idea what was going on in the storyline which was often delivered by staring at your screen while listening to an answering machine, causing frequent daydreaming. It's still one of the best games released this year due to abysmal competition. :4/5:
100% agreed on the story presentation.

From makes really great gameplay experiences combined with reasonably interesting settings and great artistic presentation, and total shit narrative/storyline elements. e.g. 10/10 games, eat it storyfags! :lol:
Dark Souls has pretty sick voiceovers though.

It does a lot more with the same level of density, and better yet, most of it is either a flavor dump in the intro cutscene or in-game experience.

I found the Starcraft and Warcraft 2 briefing screens had more character and substance than this game's mission interludes. It's a definite weak point. Once you're in the cockpit it's all good, however. I think it more serves as a break in between sorties than anything.

This is still one of my favored maps in the game, but as expected, s-ranking it just involved pretty much skipping everything:

Got really good at hovering above the boss, and compared to the puny missiles i had on my first fight, those songbirds just wrecked his shit. Slightly harder to hit him dead center into the chimney compared to the missiles but still worth it.

I liked how you ended up with the same fat bitch dual grenade launcher loadout as everyone else on YouTube, but I appreciate that you're holding on to the sword.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
BTW, speaking of the story in this game. I haven't gotten far enough yet to really judge it (waiting for the inevitable "big" twist towards the end) but i'm kinda of shocked at how... easy it is to actually follow.
My final review of Armored Core 6 - became bored halfway through chapter 5 and never played it again. No idea what was going on in the storyline which was often delivered by staring at your screen while listening to an answering machine, causing frequent daydreaming. It's still one of the best games released this year due to abysmal competition. :4/5:
100% agreed on the story presentation.

From makes really great gameplay experiences combined with reasonably interesting settings and great artistic presentation, and total shit narrative/storyline elements. e.g. 10/10 games, eat it storyfags! :lol:
Dark Souls has pretty sick voiceovers though.

It does a lot more with the same level of density, and better yet, most of it is either a flavor dump in the intro cutscene or in-game experience.

I found the Starcraft and Warcraft 2 briefing screens had more character and substance than this game's mission interludes. It's a definite weak point. Once you're in the cockpit it's all good, however. I think it more serves as a break in between sorties than anything.

I liked how you ended up with the same fat bitch dual grenade launcher loadout as everyone else on YouTube, but I appreciate that you're holding on to the sword.

I didn't actually check what other people are doing and i have no idea what's "popular". It's just that some options are clearly more powerful than others and it's so patently obvious there's no need to check out what everybody else is doing.

In fact, i have half a mind of getting rid of those songbirds, at least for single boss fight. For s-ranking all bets are off so i'll use whatever is best lest i get burned out trying to do a mission over and over.

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
[...] I found the Starcraft and Warcraft 2 briefing screens had more character and substance than this game's mission interludes. It's a definite weak point. Once you're in the cockpit it's all good, however. I think it more serves as a break in between sorties than anything. [...]
Starcraft and Warcraft 2 are top of the crop in that area though. The voice acting and writing of the mission screens in these games are second to none. That's where Blizzard got its reputation from (in addition to the cinematic cut scenes). They were neither too long long nor too short, and explained the mission objectives perfectly.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I haven't got far enough to really judge the story yet i'm just shocked at how easy to follow it is in this game. Really unusual for a FromSoft game usually i still have no idea WTF is going on even after finishing their games multiple times lmao.

I haven't got far enough to really judge the story yet i'm just shocked at how easy to follow it is in this game. Really unusual for a FromSoft game

Because you haven't played Sekiro. Actually this is harder to follow for me than Sekiro story because it is a lot more boring and I just can't stay focused during these messages. I should really just skip all that shit because it adds nothing of value to the game for me.

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
Sekiro has probably the best story of all modern (PS3/X360+) FromSoft games.
Still subtle and easy to ignore if you don't give a shit, but worth exploring if that's your kind of thing.

And Armored Core sounds worse and worse the more I read this thread.

TedNugent

Arcane
Sekiro has probably the best story of all modern (PS3/X360+) FromSoft games.
Still subtle and easy to ignore if you don't give a shit, but worth exploring if that's your kind of thing.

And Armored Core sounds worse and worse the more I read this thread.
Why? The gameplay is solid.

Have you even played it yet?

Dude doesn't seem to understand where he is. Codex is a place where people come to whine about games, not praise them. All games seem like shit if you just read about them on Codex and not try them yourself. All except few old classics and some actually shit ones.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Dude doesn't seem to understand where he is. Codex is a place where people come to whine about games, not praise them. All games seem like shit if you just read about them on Codex and not try them yourself. All except few old classics and some actually shit ones.
Even if not whining, at least belittling someone else for their shit taste and trying to set them off for the lulz.

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
Even if not whining, at least belittling someone else for their shit taste and trying to set them off for the lulz.

I've been playing games for 3 decades. I know what I'm looking for, and the dex is very helpful in determining whether I'll 'buy, rent, buy in sale, or never touch' a game. But it's not my only source and neither is it the most important. After 30 years of gaming, I know what I like, and Armored Core is not worth full price for me.

mediocrepoet

Patron

I've been playing games for 3 decades. I know what I'm looking for, and the dex is very helpful in determining whether I'll 'buy, rent, buy in sale, or never touch' a game. But it's not my only source and neither is it the most important. After 30 years of gaming, I know what I like, and Armored Core is not worth full price for me.

Well thank God you came in to the Armoured Core thread to tell us that you are not interested in Armoured Core games or the thread about them. What else have you got, forky?

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
I would be interested in a good AC game.
I played the Playstation titles to death.
But this isn't it.

This is a shitty souls game with mechs, without the good parts of Souls games and without the good parts of Armored Core.

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
Nah, Sekiro has way more in common with this than Souls. It's just that Sekiro is 10 times better than Armored Core.
Sorry, I realise that this is not a satisfactory reply, but I'm falling asleep as I type. I may elaborate tomorrow, but right now I really don't see the need for that. AC6 is From's laziest and worst "modern" game I can spontaneously think of. They simply hoped to ride on the Elden Ring success train, which was undeserved in the first place, and I don't think AC6 met their expectations..
As I said though, I'm falling asleep. gn

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Patron
nah, Sekiro has way more in common with this than Souls.

This is just a shitty Souls game with mechs but Sekiro has way more in common with this than Souls. Finally it makes sense. I was mistaken, you are definitely a Codexer.
Sekiro is just Armoured Core with ninjas. And fewer rockets. Uh...

homer-simpson-goodbye.gif

Crayll

Liturgist
Honestly it feels like they decided to make a modern AC game and did that, I don't pick up any Souls influence. You can argue whether they succeeded but the claim that it's Souls with guns now is bizarre.

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
It controls more like Souls than it does Armored Core.
From Software was once a very talented dev studio which made thematically and mechanically very diverse games. Kuon, Otogi, Armored Core, King's Field, Tenchu etc...
Now they're becoming the Ubisoft of Dark Souls...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom