Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The latest iterations of Battletech/mechwarrior have also not been great on the "technical" side, it being streamlined to ass with Hardpoints. (BattleTech Advanced 3062 is good though)
Right, but heavily modded, they can be pretty good (except BattleTech will never not have abysmal loading times and slow AF turns).
Because what they lack mostly is meat on the bare bones.

I don't think AC could ever be modded into something I'd really enjoy playing for more than a few hours.

Did few missions of this. Looks like a fun little game but remains to be seen whether this will get dull later on. I guess it depends on how well customization and difficulty progression is handled.

Did not expect it to be such undemanding game performance wise. Running stable 60 fps at 2880x1620 (Nvidia DLDSR 2.25x on 1080p screen), if uncapped it usually stays in 70s on a i5 8400 / RTX 3060 12 GB. Fucking Elden Ring cannot even run at stable 60 in open world parts on 1080p, thanks to its CPU "optimisation". And Sekiro is harder to run than this too, can only do 2560x1440 there.

Any way made it past the elicopter and i can see why people are having an hard time with it if they never played an AC game before.

I never played AC game before and that boss looked hard until I finally got the idea to try boosting up and melee it on third attempt. Got a bit too excited when I saw how much damage that did and still died on that attempt but next try it was down in what seemed like not much more than half a minute. Haven't done any other bosses so far but I expect next ones to be tougher than this.

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
Anyone know tricks to make this run on win7? Dx12 to Vulcan dll or something?

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
feels like a Playstation 2 era game, only with better graphics
Barely better graphics...
It looks pretty nice with ray tracing and and other other settings maxed. Still nothing impressive in terms of world or character complexity, but the effects are nice (especially the explosions). From has come a long way with their pc ports now that they can release a game and it plays fine day 1. Even AAA studios who have been releasing pc games for decades can't seem to do that anymore. I don't remember having any issues with Elden Ring day 1 either, although I think some did.

Did few missions of this. Looks like a fun little game but remains to be seen whether this will get dull later on. I guess it depends on how well customization and difficulty progression is handled.

Did not expect it to be such undemanding game performance wise. Running stable 60 fps at 2880x1620 (Nvidia DLDSR 2.25x on 1080p screen), if uncapped it usually stays in 70s on a i5 8400 / RTX 3060 12 GB. Fucking Elden Ring cannot even run at stable 60 in open world parts on 1080p, thanks to its CPU "optimisation". And Sekiro is harder to run than this too, can only do 2560x1440 there.
I think it's because the levels are basically just square boxes with square buildings in them and almost no other objects other than enemies. No grass, or trees, or fire, or fancy water, or anything like that. The mech is supposed to be huge, which gives them an excuse to not bother rendering small details. In terms of polygon count, the levels very much feel like PS2 era levels, only with 2023 era textures on them.

Last edited:

deama

Prophet
Finished the last mission, then went onto NG+ and currently stopped at beginning of chapter 2.

It's a decent game I think. I've never played any of the other armoured core games before.
The FOV is a bit too low for me, could be a bit higher.
I was not expecting it to be this short and have this little customization, I was also expecting there to be some sort of "economy", like if you buy something, you can only resell it at 10%, or there'd be some panalties, but there isn't even much to spend money on. By chapter 3 I was swimming in millions and didn't have anything to spend it on that I liked or wanted to use.

I was hoping there'd be a lot more parts to unlock on NG+, but so far I only unlocked like 2 or 3 new parts.

Also, I was hoping the customization would get crazier, like being able to make ACs 2x or 3x the size of the starting ones and with more unique crazier parts like chainsaws, giant swords, maybe some wheels, idk...

I also didn't like how you can only have blades on your left side.

The plot I didn't like that much, I was actually hoping for more of a "mercenery" quest style where you just do missions for various factions, and after a while you pick one of them and stick with them. That is actually what was sort of happening here, but the part about gaining "rep" felt very, very short, it needed to be the core of the game I think.

Overall, it was ok, was expecting something much more vast in terms of customization, and something more grounded in plot.

It looks pretty nice with ray tracing and and other other settings maxed. Still nothing impressive in terms of world or character complexity, but the effects are nice (especially the explosions). From has come a long way with their pc ports now that they can release a game and it plays fine day 1. Even AAA studios who have been releasing pc games for decades can't seem to do that anymore. I don't remember having any issues with Elden Ring day 1 either, although I think some did.
Sadly the ray tracing doesn't work outside the garage.

Anyone know tricks to make this run on win7? Dx12 to Vulcan dll or something?
There's that dx12 to vulcan thing, you'll have to google around for it.
I know it doesn't work on windows 8, but I haven't tried it on windows 7 before.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Damn the movement feels good once you get a hang of it.
Lame that the normal weapons on shoulders are a swap instead of 4 gun galore :argh:

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Defeated Smart Cleaner and Sea Spider yesterday. It took less time to beat them than i did baltheus..

I REALLY loving the game, but i really dislike stagger mechanic. Other ACs , normal enemies and mini bosses? Really good cool to fight, Big Bosses? Fucking amazing, but i just feel i need to default using Heavier builds to get Songbirds to stagger them because they're SO FUCKING TANKY.

Zlaja

Arcane
How good is the customization in this game, exactly? I've heard conflicting reports on this. Some say it's good, but some others say they're dissapointed and were expecting to be able to modify their mech more radically.

grim1234

Novice
How good is the customization in this game, exactly? I've heard conflicting reports on this. Some say it's good, but some others say they're dissapointed and were expecting to be able to modify their mech more radically.
Tbh, even as a newcomer I find it a bit lacking. I mean, if you played games like Earth Defense Force - then you know the drill, but I gotta say, that game has more customization than AC6 (because it has a bazillion weapons, often whacky weapons, and 4 classes).

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There are a lot of weapons and I guess a good amount of customization otherwise. The legs are lacking though, like there's 2-3 tank legs, 2 tetrapod legs, etc. The legs could have used a bit more variety.

It just doesn't look interesting to me at all. Mechs go zoom, but not even the weighty, technical stuff like MechWarrior or BattleTech.

These games have always existed in tandem. And both iterations have something worthwhile to give, like a TB and a Real-time blobber.

The latest iterations of Battletech/mechwarrior have also not been great on the "technical" side, it being streamlined to ass with Hardpoints. (BattleTech Advanced 3062 is good though)

Given the sales, maybe Microsoft will rethink how they’ve been handling the MechWarrior series. They’ve just been licensing the series out to other people for almost 20 years now, but if they think there’s money to be made then maybe they do something with it again.

Elthosian

Arcane
I wish there were more missions where you had allies, that one near the beginning with the Redguns felt fun even though they did fuck all.
The banter for that mission was rather fun tbh.

I'm about to finish chapter 3 and still loving it. Game knows how to throw some variety at you and despite some small reutilization of a couple bosses the experience remains fresh. The only thing I hate is the music, so I have the ol' good Furi soundtrack on my second screen for every mission I replay. Makes it even better.

Played a lot more, and I can't believe I'm going to say this about a From game, but it's kind of dull. It very much feels like a Playstation 2 era game, only with better graphics. The levels are overly simple and short. You just just go in, kill some stuff or a boss, and it ends. Usually From games grab me and I can't stop, but there's no sense of exploration in this. It's just a bunch of short, shitty, levels. The only fun thing is the bosses.

It's a combat-based game and thus gives utmost priority to that aspect, and even then there is some exploration to be done in around 1/3 of the levels to get data logs, combat logs or unique equipment pieces. Anyway, not all games need to be an all-encompassing experience.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Personally, i think the main value of this game is that at least it's different form Souls. I think people swear by Sekiro for that reason alone.

CoronerZg

Augur
Personally, i think the main value of this game is that at least it's different form Souls. I think people swear by Sekiro for that reason alone.
There is much much more to Sekiro than that. But the biggest reason is the combat itself. No other Souls game
comes close to speed, precision and pure fun of mastering the combat in Sekiro. And the boss design is second to none.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
So don't know much about this game but as an AC fan was interested...until i saw the reviews and the steam discussion threads.
Tell it to me straight codex bros who have been playing AC since the early titles... Is it actually an AC game or is it a souls clone with some AC trappings?

Because all the GIT GUT!! OMG I DIED 32 TIMES TO THE TUTORIAL BOSS THIS IS AWESOME! OMG THE BOSSES ARE SO HARD!!!!!!! comments are a real turn off, my memory of AC games was definitely not butting my head against bullet spongey bosses (i remember a handful of those at best and they were not hard), the real challenge came from managing attrition accumulated over the level rather then having to memorise attack patterns or dodge/roll in time some big fuck you attack that kills you in a few hits regardless of how tough your AC is built.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
It's clearly a merger between AC and Sekiro. I only played a bit but from what i've seen the bosses require you to be constantly on the offensive, which isn't particularly Souls-like. There's a stagger mechanic with that little Sekiro bar thingy too.

I can't comment on how it compares with previous AC games since i only played AC1. Compared to that, the one thing i'm probably going to miss is other pilots, since bosses are going to overshadow AI controlled player mechs one way or another.

Jinn

Arcane
Tell it to me straight codex bros who have been playing AC since the early titles... Is it actually an AC game or is it a souls clone with some AC trappings?
This is absolutely an AC game. It just has some very difficult bosses too. If the difficulty is offputting, the game won't be for you, regardless of how Armored Core it is.

DonGabo

Novice
the real challenge came from managing attrition accumulated over the level rather then having to memorise attack patterns or dodge/roll in time some big fuck you attack that kills you in a few hits regardless of how tough your AC is built.
All the challenge comes from the bosses. There's no attrition, since there's a very generous checkpoint system that recovers health and ammo on death (you can even assemble a new mech on a checkpoint).

Prince(ss)

Literate
the real challenge came from managing attrition accumulated over the level rather then having to memorise attack patterns or dodge/roll in time some big fuck you attack that kills you in a few hits regardless of how tough your AC is built.
All the challenge comes from the bosses. There's no attrition, since there's a very generous checkpoint system that recovers health and ammo on death (you can even assemble a new mech on a checkpoint).
Sounds great then. I've finished almost every game in the series and I particularly hated Last Raven because of the running-out-of-ammo clownery that happens constantly unless you abuse the best weapons.

Jinn

Arcane
I just have a rule of restarting the entire mission if it's non-boss sorties. It's what you need to do in order to S rank missions. If you S rank a mission, I feel that was the "intended" way to complete it, with no checkpoints being part and parcel to that. Eventually if you want to S rank boss missions, you'd have to do the same.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom