Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Assassin's Creed Shadows - Yasuke confirmed Samurai, cope and seethe - coming February 14th

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Couldn't that be any old Torii gate that is broken?

Mauman

Scholar
Couldn't that be any old Torii gate that is broken?
To my understanding, no as there are no broken Toril gates other than that one in Japan. Evidently those gates have religious meaning and they tend to get fixed if they have a problem, or taken down if they can't be fixed. This one was kept that way because of the bomb.

Also evidently the act of having someone sitting on one in itself is offensive if I'm understanding some of the things I've read correctly. It's like having someone take a seat on the top of a statue of Jesus or a Crucifix or something.

Regardless, probably not something you'd want to make a toy of :P

Modron

Arcane
To my understanding, no as there are no broken Toril gates other than that one in Japan. Evidently those gates have religious meaning and they get tend to get fixed if they have a problem, or taken down if they can't be fixed. This one was kept that way because of the bomb.

Also evidently the act of having someone sitting on one in itself is offensive if I'm understanding some of the things I've read correctly. It's like having someone take a seat on the top of a statue of Jesus or a Crucifix or something.

Regardless, probably not something you'd want to make a plushy of :P
Maybe just maybe it's a hypothetical Torii gate that has been damaged during the conflict in the game and not modeled after a currently standing, fallen, or repaired one? Specially since it's a wooden and not concrete one for starters.

Mauman

Scholar
To my understanding, no as there are no broken Toril gates other than that one in Japan. Evidently those gates have religious meaning and they get tend to get fixed if they have a problem, or taken down if they can't be fixed. This one was kept that way because of the bomb.

Maybe just maybe it's a hypothetical Torii gate that has been damaged during the conflict in the game and not modeled after a currently standing, fallen, or repaired one? Specially since it's a wooden and not concrete one for starters.
The shape of it is a bit on the nose if you ask me. It looks like they traced over it and gave it a wood texture.

Much like how they took a One piece sword, modified it slightly, and claimed it was special AC merchandise.

Who knows though.

jaekl

CHUD LIFE
Patron
It doesn't matter. Ubisoft is an enemy of good video games so they should be dragged through the mud for every blunder and faux pas that they stumble into. Never give the enemy the benefit of the doubt. Buncha phony french fuckers are doing all types of sneaky dishonest marketing schemes anyways, they deserve to have it done right back at them.

Fargus

Arcane
It doesn't matter. Ubisoft is an enemy of good video games so they should be dragged through the mud for every blunder and faux pas that they stumble into. Never give the enemy the benefit of the doubt. Buncha phony french fuckers are doing all types of sneaky dishonest marketing schemes anyways, they deserve to have it done right back at them.

They should keep these fuck ups coming on a daily basis just cause it's hilarious to watch them dangle in agony like a chimp trying to climb over electric fence.

gooseman

Educated
To my understanding, no as there are no broken Toril gates other than that one in Japan.
Why do you assume the design is based on some gate that actually exists? It could be entirely fictional.
The shape of it is a bit on the nose if you ask me. It looks like they traced over it and gave it a wood texture.
They look completely different.
The design is likely mostly the work of the toy company with very little involvement from Ubisoft.
I get you just want to be outraged at something (who does this remind me of...), and I also am not a fan of Ubisoft, but this is just pathetic.
Are you going to shit on doom for satanic imagery next?

Mauman

Scholar
To my understanding, no as there are no broken Toril gates other than that one in Japan.
Why do you assume the design is based on some gate that actually exists? It could be entirely fictional.
One Piece sword debacle. Stolen flag debacle. I'm sure there's more, but I just don't care enough to look them up.

As for the shape. Ok. Whatever.

edit - as for being outraged....I'm not? I'm apathetic. One implies I care. I don't. I just talk about it because I'm bored.

Necrensha

Educated
I wouldn't deny the possibility of some random manager feeling vindictive over the negative response and going out of their way to try to insult Japan. They've already done so several times in recent times, surely they were all accidents and not intentional eqsdee.

Elttharion

Learned
They shoud have hired a few diversity consultants, like our friends at SBI, they would have helped make sure that things like this wouldn't happen.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Watching Ubisoft squirm as it's slopware is headed for Concord 2.0

1727195303688.png

deuxhero

Arcane
I don't think it will sell as bad or cost as much (a few thousand copies on 400 mil budget). Concord 2.0 will be Fairgame$ or Marathon (whichever comes out first)

ind33d

Learned
Press previews cancelled

assassin's creed shadows is disturbing because it is political propaganda created for a target audience that is illiterate

this is like rewriting history books, except now the average person not only doesn't read but can't, so they have to make shitty Canadian video games instead

Wasteland

Educated
I wouldn't be surprised if this played a part in the cancellation.

This might be people reading too much into what is just Ubisoft's ineptitude. They probably just thought it looked cool.

Yeah, that's the most likely explanation: Ubisoft's Reddit-tier "Japan experts" picked the coolest looking example without regard for what it signified. This gaffe wouldn't be a big deal on its own, but Ubisoft already signaled their disrespect for Japanese history with the Yasuke thing, so they don't get a pass here.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent

This game is cultural nuclear bomb meant to be dropped on spirit of Japan. One legged Torii gate that looks EXACTLY the same as that one, every detail matches, is THE ONLY Torii gate in history of Japan that was left unrepaired after damage. Why? Because it was only thing still standing proudly and tall after nuclear bomb was dropped on Nagasaki. Symbolism is very strong

One of the reasons why right wing or centrist CHUDS keep losing culture war is because you again and again and again fall into autism hole where you overthink, overanalyze, submit everything even your naked life to the virtue of being 1000% fair and balanced and always always always giving your enemies benefit of the doubt regardless how many thousands of times they have made their intentions, especially in this case, loudly clear

They hate you. And want you worse then dead. Their target is now Japan, because it can't be allowed to exist as monoethnic country and be compared to western multiracial shitholes. Unironically. Do you think they are ironic or anything that's happening is coincidence? Anyone who still thinks that, doesn't think

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom