Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter ATOM RPG - Wasteland Soviet style! - now with Dead City update

Will you back?

• I will consider it!

Votes: 39 54.9%
  • No! I would never!..

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • kingcomrade

Votes: 23 32.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
I'm currently on my first proper playthrough after trying the game for a while at release. Enjoying mostly so far. Just got Hexogen to join my crew which already had Fidel and the dog. Which brings me to ask is there a way to respec a companion. I know there's an option for player character, but no info if it's also possible to reset your companions skills. Kind of regret how I picked up the first 5 levels for Fidel.
The fuck did you get a dog? I want a dog.

Doggy farming

Toffeli

Atomkrieg, ja bitte
Patron
Wasteland 2
I'm currently on my first proper playthrough after trying the game for a while at release. Enjoying mostly so far. Just got Hexogen to join my crew which already had Fidel and the dog. Which brings me to ask is there a way to respec a companion. I know there's an option for player character, but no info if it's also possible to reset your companions skills. Kind of regret how I picked up the first 5 levels for Fidel.

Doggy farming
It's random encounter as far as I know. Might require survival check but not that high, I had around 45-50. E: Luck doesn't affect I guess since I had 3 at that point. :P

Bergblatstein

Novice
Hey! It says КРЯЖ! It's a geological thing.
1) babushka companion unlikely
2) two-handed melee weapons most likely
3) crafting component likely!

Buttstocking works with melee skill, what I meant when writing was that you'll get a perk (I always mix up the English for perks, skills and distinctions, forgetting which one is which) that makes the buttstock attack available. When it's available, you'll be able to buttstock people with great success and okay AP loss. At least that's how it is now. And firing while buttstocking is a visual glitch we already removed!
Right now, there are no radiation spots in the game. Cold is basically Radiation 2 Electric Boogaloo. However, things might change before the release. Perks aren't ready yet! Only on paper. We still need design! As for closed beta, first of all, because all of my translations go to an editor before we even think about adding them into the game, this testing will be totally in Russian on the first stage. If you're okay with Russian, I'll ask the QA guy who is in charge of forming the testing team. There might be a form to fill out on our VK in a while if he's still looking.

*Bold text*: I would have been willing even to make Comrad Facebookov account for this... Goddamn school language quotas! :argh: Any of you Russian-speaking thread watchers willing to jump on the chance to join testers?

Thanks for clarifying the points dude. I'm really looking forward to this game. Give regards to whole team!

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron

Doggy farming
It's random encounter as far as I know. Might require survival check but not that high, I had around 45-50. E: Luck doesn't affect I guess since I had 3 at that point. :P

It is not just "a dog", it is Mr. Julbars, sir. He is a very good boy!

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
My dog was repeatedly killed in the encounter with the serial killer and his master in Dead City...I've tried, but I just can't get over it! I can't go on without this dog, Mr. Julbars, sir, very good boy. So I had to reload. Need to keep dog alive. Doggy dog.

WTF, I don't even own the dog IRL.

I have four cats though

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Well, 48 hours in I managed to get to the pre-final fight near the elevator (Mushroom Cult Bunker). Aaaaand it is game-breaker, cause no way I can beat this crowd which is one-shoting me. :negative:

nice ride though

Murk

Arcane
I used a combination of set up dynamite + burst mode machine guns to clear that fight.

I was playing a "sniper" character but it wouldn't work there.

Deleted Member 22431

Well, 48 hours in I managed to get to the pre-final fight near the elevator (Mushroom Cult Bunker). Aaaaand it is game-breaker, cause no way I can beat this crowd which is one-shoting me.

nice ride though
Leave the location. Do a few more quests (or fights) to level up, get better equipment, etc. Then you get back, pump yourself with drugs and plan a way to kill them.

You will find the best equipment with the headhunters, but they are harder than this. LOL

Tip: if you get inside a room in the corridor, it becomes way easier, because you can shoot them and go back inside a few times.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
The dog will eat your XP and die easily, even with armor. Not worth the hassle.

I disagree with this completely. If you're going into this game blind without any metaknowledge and you're playing it on Normal or harder, having as many companions with you as possible is about the only way to survive even the earliest combat encounters. If you got lucky and happened to choose the exact right skills and found a good weapon right away it might be different, but it becomes clear almost immediately that you have to sink everything you've got into Speechcraft, Technology, Lockpicking, etc. This doesn't leave much room for the solo character to survive most fights.

If you find the dog, his reliability and consistent performance in combat is a Godsend.

Murk

Arcane
Dog's fine, but you don't need to metagame at all to have a viable build.

I just picked rifles and pistols and it was fine, mostly used guns I crafted until the latter part where I went into the Dead City. I had high speech and decent lock picking too.

I used a combination of set up dynamite + burst mode machine guns to clear that fight.

I was playing a "sniper" character but it wouldn't work there.

Is there any other way to finish the gaem?

I think you have to get through hat fight, my char had very high speech and I was unable to talk it out. Could bring a bunch of party members to soak up damage, it is the end anyway.

Deleted Member 22431

I disagree with this completely. If you're going into this game blind without any metaknowledge and you're playing it on Normal or harder, having as many companions with you as possible is about the only way to survive even the earliest combat encounters.
I disagree with your disagreement. The dog is useful in the beginning when you are weaker, but it becomes a burden later on. To maintain the damn dog is an additional challenge that you have to endure just for the sake of larping. Most players will simply give up and let it die. That's if you manage to find the dog armor in the shop, which is a rare and random event. I played the game one time and beat everything, including the headhunters, which is the hardest fight in the game. I didn't look under the hood to have the perfect build, because I'm not a munchkin player. It breaks immersion. I dropped the first companion after a few fights, used the dog for a while and dropped. Your character will progress three times faster. There is no comparison.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
The dog is useful in the beginning when you are weaker, but it becomes a burden later on.

You never specified this in your first statement, and people coming into the game early like I just did could have been sorely misled by your advice.

Be happy you found the dog. Keep it until apparently, according to "Politician" here, you're tired of "LARPing".

Deleted Member 22431

You never specified this in your first statement, and people coming into the game early like I just did could have been sorely misled by your advice.

Be happy you found the dog. Keep it until apparently, according to "Politician" here, you're tired of "LARPing".
But even then it is not worth the investment. You can hang in there and level up in no time. I like the idea of having a dog, especially for larping reasons since I hated the companions. But maaaan, what a hassle.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
i 100 percent want to larp as a russian mad max guy in atom. you can even get a cool car to go with your dog

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Well, 48 hours in I managed to get to the pre-final fight near the elevator (Mushroom Cult Bunker). Aaaaand it is game-breaker, cause no way I can beat this crowd which is one-shoting me. :negative:

nice ride though

You can beat them...just drink a lot of alcohol. 2 of each type till your luck is 10.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom