Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter ATOM RPG - Wasteland Soviet style! - now with Dead City update

Will you back?

• I will consider it!

Votes: 39 54.9%
  • No! I would never!..

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • kingcomrade

Votes: 23 32.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
rk47 from your experience can you tank bursts in late game?with armor perks and the best armor?

What kind of burst we're talking about?
There's 4 round burst, 7 round burst, and the infamous LMG full burst.

The first 2..you might survive it with high HP pool and good armor. But I doubt you'll survive a second attack.
There's just way too many NPCs taking turns before you can heal up to matter. It's kill or be killed. Which is why a high sequence character is a must so you can plan your party's move and neutralize the biggest threat.

A low Sequence is like an automatic loss for most encounters. :lol: Which is why most backgrounds traits with Sequence penalty SHOULD BE AVOIDED LIKE THE PLAGUE.

Also the idea of a defensive character means you're sacrificing offensive abilities for tanking ones. Let's just accept that some fights are not tankable.

You can't make yourself a tank because if you're knocked down, you cannot command your team.
I recommend just making Hex a tank since he gets 3 ability picks the moment he joins and a Level 9 HP pool. Just give him a lot of super stim and pump him with 2 onions for every battle.

I actually used the Dog simply for 'bait'. He can outrun almost every melee and if you move dog closest to enemy, they will always target it. Just tell it to withdraw after one turn. The biggest downside to Dog is that it cannot heal itself like human tanks with Superstim.

Last edited:

razvedchiki

Erudite
in the steam forums people are claiming that with painikillers/best armor and lvl 30 you can tank solo late game encounters,and complain about lack of viable builds since they claim that armor perks are a must.
the english written steam guides are a joke,havent seen before people making so many mistakes about games mechanics:lol:

RK47

Patron
in the steam forums people are claiming that with painikillers/best armor and lvl 30 you can tank solo late game encounters,and complain about lack of viable builds since they claim that armor perks are a must.
the english written steam guides are a joke,havent seen before people making so many mistakes about games mechanics:lol:

They must've clicked 'Attack' on every encounter.

razvedchiki

Erudite
"you cant survive burst enemies late game"

answer
"If you survive the turn you open inventory and heal to full. Sequence only matters 1st turn and 16-17 that any character has is enough. Again. Tanking shots is not optional. You do have to do it. Your companions literally suck at tanking as they don't use stims enough in combat. and in solo it's not even an option. Not to mention low End is either a time wasted for reloads or survival game ruined depending on what difficulty you play. What I described consistently works late-game and nothing else does. I don't have to like it for it to be true. And it's not up to me to decide how it should be.

I have 3 full playthroughs and 237h under my belt."

Jrpgfan

Erudite
I've been somewhat enjoying the game so far but I'm getting burned because of the writing. I don't think I like it, I find it pretty weak and at the same time verbose, making it tiresome sometimes.

I just got a quest from the mushroom cult that leads me to the same bunker the ATOM expedition disappeared(I've been delaying this quest since the beginning of the game btw) and the stalker ruins. Somehow I feel I'm getting close to the end of the game. Can anyone who finished the game confirm it? If that's not the case I might drop it soon. Got also a couple of quests from the chamber of commerce(the head asked me to slaughter the circus) and from Shinshank partners(I slaughtered them with a LMG after getting the quest and location of Syoma Voronok... it's stuff like this that keeps me going I guess).

razvedchiki

Erudite
for those interested what loot do the mobsters in krasno drop

- the 15.000 you get from the debt collector quest.
- 11.500 from the safe in the mobsters office plus a few hundred more from the mobsters bodies.
- various drugs,food etc.
- 5-6 clean pistols/smgs worth 8-10000 rubles.
- a few dozen bullets of various calibers.
- the taiga machete/knife,the only place i have it found so far.
till far its the best loot galore i have found in the game,obviously you are cut off whatever quests the mobs had.

RK47

Patron

- 11.500 from the safe in the mobsters office plus a few hundred more from the mobsters bodies.
till far its the best loot galore i have found in the game,obviously you are cut off whatever quests the mobs had.

They have way too much HP IMO. I think they may as well be level 13+
Basically end-game encounter. I collected their loans and just left them alone.

Jrpgfan

Erudite

I gave the debt money I collected hoping I'd get it back from their corpses after killing them but the money simply vanished. I think the dev should add it in the next patch(you should be able to find it in the safe atleast IMO).

Last edited:

razvedchiki

Erudite

i wacked them with bursts from the hk33,started outside with the guard then run at the corner of the bulding.they dont seem to have many stimpacks/kraspamids.

krilcebre

Learned
Well you can always use one burst and then a single bullet. I combined m-16 and rpk-74. Only used rpk in tight situations, as it uses a hell of a lot of ammo.

Still waiting for that patch that's supposedly improving melee (defense buff is absolutely needed for melee specs). :bounce: It would be much easier to spec for a good melee char with 3 points per level, but it's only for easy. I think every difficulty should have 3 points per level for perks, as it would open up a tree for much more interesting builds than what we have right now. You spec into one branch and that's pretty much it for the whole game. Can't call it building a character.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
damn just saw that the ak47u does 5 ap bursts,i have 9 ap.it uses though 5.45 ammo that the rpg-74 also uses.

Vintorez does 4 AP bursts. I think It's the most efficient weapon for bursting besides the LMG full burst(which can kill anyone but takes a shitload of ammo, although it's 7.62x39 ammo which is way more common and cheaper than the SP5 used by the vintorez). This weapon ruined my paladin playthrough when I found some guy carrying a modded one with a sight attached on the Roaring Forest.

RK47

Patron
I think every difficulty should have 3 points per level for perks, as it would open up a tree for much more interesting builds than what we have right now. You spec into one branch and that's pretty much it for the whole game. Can't call it building a character.

They're following this:
"In Fallout, Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics, the player character can choose a perk every three levels"

Except Fallout perks are usually not inter-connected with each other. Unlike ATOM, you could simply pick a defensive perk in early game and then go for offensive ones in late game as long as you meet the Level & Skill prerequisite. In ATOM there's no attribute / skill requirement, but you must follow a pre-set path to unlock the next tier.

Still waiting for that patch that's supposedly improving melee (defense buff is absolutely needed for melee specs).

:lol: I still can't imagine how a melee character would actually perform well on the open ground. He'd have to sacrifice 1.5 turn just trying to maneuver himself into range and puts himself at risk of being knocked down or crippled. Even high Sequence doesn't do much for melee because the closer you are, the higher the chance they'd hit you. You can't 'wait' to take your turn after everyone has taken their shots at maximum range like in Heroes of Might & Magic 3.

Also, was gonna try Low INT but I get this instead:

85CHLlv.jpg

Last edited:

krilcebre

Learned
I think every difficulty should have 3 points per level for perks, as it would open up a tree for much more interesting builds than what we have right now. You spec into one branch and that's pretty much it for the whole game. Can't call it building a character.

They're following this:
"In Fallout, Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics, the player character can choose a perk every three levels"

Except Fallout perks are usually not inter-connected with each other. Unlike ATOM, you could simply pick a defensive perk in early game and then go for offensive ones in late game as long as you meet the Level & Skill prerequisite. In ATOM there's no attribute / skill requirement, but you must follow a pre-set patch to unlock the next tier.

Still waiting for that patch that's supposedly improving melee (defense buff is absolutely needed for melee specs).

:lol: I still can't imagine how a melee character would actually perform well on the open ground. He'd have to sacrifice 1.5 turn just trying to maneuver himself into range and puts himself at risk of being knocked down or crippled. Even high Sequence doesn't do much for melee because the closer you are, the higher the chance they'd hit you. You can't 'wait' to take your turn after everyone has taken their shots at maximum range like in Heroes of Might & Magic 3.

Yep, and that's why I think they should be giving 3 points per level instead of 1 or 2. Here you can only really do some kind of specialization if you want a viable build (as in you either go for burst, or rifles, or whatever, since best perks are usually at the end of the tree branch).

And regarding melee, that's why I'm waiting for a patch right now, I'm curious to see how they'll solve that problem. An lmg burst late game will take you down without you being able to even reach a target, let alone kill it, so I'm not exactly sure what they are gonna do to buff melee to be at least somewhat viable.

RK47

Patron
Yep, and that's why I think they should be giving 3 points per level instead of 1 or 2.

I disagree with this.
Keep the skill point gain per level the same, but remove the pre-requisite ability. Instead change it pre-requisite level. Meaning some is only accessible at Lvl 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 so on. And yes, you can save ability points. It should be more interesting what kind of build people can come up with that flexibility.

Also, forgot not playing Ironman anymore, quit without saving. Blyat.
Anyway, let's do a bad distinction review. Because they really need balancing IMO.

The Bad ones:

Cannibal
+ 15 Survival
+ Gains 3 x meat off human kills
- 2 Personality

Review: This is a very mediocre perk even if you dump Personality. The +15 Survival isn't gonna help much in early game and it doesn't really give you much use elsewhere. The developer really neglected this skill in dialogue checks. The meat DOES give you additional resource for healing/experience when consumed or money when sold.

Recommended fix: Lose the Survival bonus replace it with +10% damage to humanoids.
Now that's something that catches the eye of a character builder.

Sex Appeal
+/- 2 Personality based on Gender
+/- 15 Barter based on Gender

Review: Absolute garbage.

Recommended fix: Switch the name to Misogynist (Man) or Misandrist (Woman).
Double the Penalty and bonus
Add speech craft bonus & penalty on top of it
Then increase and decrease damage based on gender by 10%
Then post this on social media for publicity

Child prodigy
+ 1 Intellect
+ 1 Personality
+ 1 Attention
- 50% EXP gains

Review: Horrible. Really gimps your character advancement. Probably the worst of the lot.

Recommended fix: The bonus / penalty doesn't remind me of a prodigy. More like of a stubborn learner who wants to stick to his own ways and does not listen to others.
Rename this to Stubborn Learner, give the character more intellect but penalize his personality. Lower his EXP penalty because 50% loss is too massive for the minor benefit it brings.
Change name to 'Stubborn Learner'
+ 3 Intellect
- 2 Personality
- 20% EXP gains

Ascetic
+ Twice the time to get hungry
+ 10 Survival
- 1 Strength
- 7 kg Carry weight

Review: What a bare bone perk. I can't see any value at all in picking this.

Savage Hunter
+ 20% damage vs Animals
+ Skins without knife
- 2 Personality
- 15 kg Carry weight

Review: The bonus is very small. Unless you're fighting Alpha wolf pack at low level, you won't feel much benefit, especially after you've unlocked the Witcher Ability by mid game. So you lose 15 carry weight, but don't need to carry a 0.5 kg knife in your backpack to skin animals. Yay, very happy for you lah. :lol:

Recommended fix:
Add a buff 'Thrill of the Hunt' whenever you kill an animal / mutant, you gain +1 Attention + 4% Critical Chance for 2 hours

Circus Education
+ 1 DEX
+ 15 Sneak
+ 10 Lockpicking & Pickpocketing
- 20 kg Carry weight
- 7 Sequence

Review: No way I'm taking that huge penalty. A net loss of 6 Sequence is too much.

Cursed Sniper
+ 2 Attention
+ 7% Aimed shot chance
- 2 Luck
- 7 Sequence
- 10% Normal shot chance

Review: Nope. It's a net loss of 5 Sequence for small accuracy bonus that doesn't matter once you get to mid game.

Lone Wolf
When alone
+ 2 Attention
+ 5 Sequence
+ 10 kg Carry weight

When with follower
- 2 Attention
- 20 Survival
- 7 Sequence

Review: I don't hate this perk too much cause there's no penalty as long you don't bring any follower. But let's consider the fact you lose around 2 attacks per round, 2 source of damage absorption and additional 100 kg worth of carry weight when traveling alone. It needs to be way better than this.

Recommended Fix:
+ 5 Maximum HP per level up to survive better
+ 30% EXP Gain for faster leveling

Leader
For every follower you get:
+ 7 Speechcraft
+ 5 First Aid
+ 5 Barter
- 1 Attention
- 1 Dexterity

Followers gain
+ 1 Dexterity
+ 1 Endurance

Review: :lol: With this perk, you can't even give command to your followers in the first turn. This is a bad choice if you want to be a leader. With 3 followers, you lose 6 points of attributes. Better to just treat your pals to one sweet roll and onion than taking this perk.

Last edited:

Deleted Member 22431

Lone Wolf
When alone
+ 2 Attention
+ 5 Sequence
+ 10 kg Carry weight

When with follower
- 2 Attention
- 20 Survival
- 7 Sequence

Review: I don't hate this perk too much cause there's no penalty as long you don't bring any follower. But let's consider the fact you lose around 2 attacks per round, 2 source of damage absorption and additional 100 kg worth of carry weight when traveling alone. It needs to be way better than this.

The companions in this game are a chore to have around and terrible in combat. The perk doesn't need any fix. Lone Wolf all the way.

Sex Appeal
+/- 2 Personality based on Gender
+/- 15 Barter based on Gender

Review: Absolute garbage.
I disagree. It's perfect if you play with a woman. 90% of the NPCs are men. You profit a lot from this.

Last edited by a moderator:

krilcebre

Learned
Cursed sniper is absolutely great for snipers, especially when combined with lone wolf. It will give you 5% critical hit chance with luck set to 1, meaning you are pretty much getting +4 luck for free, and you can invest in some other abilities. If you go full stealth, sequence won't matter much, so you'll be easily shredding through enemies once you get a good scoped rifle. Tbh it quickly became boring as all my fights ended up with me being on the other side of the map just one hit killing every enemy.

Technomancer

Liturgist
Savage Hunter
Along with default bonuses more chance for hunt encounter and +1 on parts from creatures.

Leader should not affect the dog. The dog already benefits from lone wolf synergy but dog and "leading people" doesn't make sense.

RK47

Patron
Cursed sniper is absolutely great for snipers, especially when combined with lone wolf. It will give you 5% critical hit chance with luck set to 1, meaning you are pretty much getting +4 luck for free, and you can invest in some other abilities. If you go full stealth, sequence won't matter much, so you'll be easily shredding through enemies once you get a good scoped rifle. Tbh it quickly became boring as all my fights ended up with me being on the other side of the map just one hit killing every enemy.

I have to try Stealth build sometimes. Looks interesting. I had a taste when clearing Mt. Pass Bunker but never really bothered with random encounters after getting speech high enough to talk my way out of fights.

But why does it give you critical hit chance though?

krilcebre

Learned

I have to try Stealth build sometimes. Looks interesting. I had a taste when clearing Mt. Pass Bunker but never really bothered with random encounters after getting speech high enough to talk my way out of fights.

But why does it give you critical hit chance though?

To be honest, I have no clue hahaha. I was just trying out distinctions and noticed it gave you critical hit chance. Might be because of the aimed shot chance, or the tooltip isn't good. Or maybe it's just a bug, but for now it remains a great perk for snipers. :lol:

RK47

Patron
Hmm looks like you trade live explosive for fun and profit. :lol:

Too bad they still know it's you who killed their friend.

razvedchiki

Erudite
black belt is good for melee builds,morphine doctor ok if you want 11 int for that extra skillpoints.
glutton is very good,+2 endurance and a penalty you dont really care about.
unlucky optimist is good if you have already dumped luck and you need the extra 2 endurance.
shooting gun gallery fan is tempting but only worth it you want to play with rifles/automatics from the start (and you know the shortcuts to the good weapons).

lone wolf is ok as it is,going solo is the actual hard mode in this game so the +2 to att and the extra carry weight and sequence are nice but not op enough to ruin solo.

krilcebre

Learned
I don't like glutton because I'm lazy and can't be bothered to eat every 2 minutes spent in game. :shittydog:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom