Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming November 12th(?)

scytheavatar

Scholar
Also its funny journos keep asking them if they are afraid when they haven't questioned them not really delivering what people expected when they got bought out. Or are they asking all the MS studios? Since they haven't made a real flop yet like Redfall they are pretty safe imo. Soulless, barely meeting industry standtards in prod quality but safe.

Avowed right now looks like it has a high chance of being a gigantic flop. Hype for the game is low and for how long the game has been in development it can't possibly be a cheap game to produce. It probably wouldn't be a Redfall level flop but I am not sure they will be far from that.

Lemming42

Arcane
Was TOW really that bad? I heard it's fun to shoot around in, just don't expect New Vegas or much of an RPG in terms of mechanics.
It's a very bland game wrapped in incredibly frustrating and abrasive writing. It genuinely isn't worth playing. It took me like three playthroughs over 5~ years to really get off the first planet because boredom killed every other playthrough, and it actually turns out it gets worse when you leave the boring-ass starting area.

If you like this type of game you'd be doing yourself a big favour by just replaying NV instead, or even the likes of Skyrim.

Was TOW really that bad?
It wasn't bad. It's a Good game that isn't culturally important.

It's worth to play once if you haven't.

Anyone else think Avowed could be cool? Promise I'm not trying to farm fabulously optimistic reacts
I think it's going to be good. It's just not going to be 15 out of time game or the 2nd coming of Jesus which is what our collective hive mind want it to be.

Not sure what is "reaction farming" means.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's probably not a dealbreaker for anyone but it is confusing that they've gone with this system; I don't think anyone really appreciated it in TOW and Starfield has got to be the final nail in the coffin for anyone having the inexplicable idea of "we should make a Bethesda game but cut the map up into smaller disconnected chunks, some of which are virtually empty". It makes everything feel weird and disconnected, and it only takes one shitty hub to bring the game to a horrible screeching halt (TOW went one step further by ensuring every hub was the worst one).

They made an honest attempt at making an open world game and failed. It's not something you can just easily do (especially in UE5), Bethesda owes everything to starting with Morrowind and Gamebryo.

no involvement of Urquhart,
Pretty confident he's been meddling. The Microsoft babysitter may have put a stop to it.

Spike

Educated
Was TOW really that bad?
It wasn't bad. It's a Good game that isn't culturally important.

It's worth to play once if you haven't.

Anyone else think Avowed could be cool? Promise I'm not trying to farm fabulously optimistic reacts
I think it's going to be good. It's just not going to be 15 out of time game or the 2nd coming of Jesus which is what our collective hive mind want it to be.

Not sure what is "reaction farming" means.
Thank you for the reasoned response, this was the impression I got in both cases. Temper your expectations, Codex, lol. There are countless great RPGs out there, one that is sufficiently "good" or "solid" is fine.

EDIT: Oh, and by reaction farming I meant trying to get you to react to my message with a built-in Codex emoticon.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I miss MCA.
I think it's pure shit that he was raked through the mud over some bullshit texts.
and whatever shitty South Park games they pump out
They only did Stick of Truth. It wasn't bad, particularly if you're a fan of the show... but the sequel was better.
So, no involvement of Urquhart, Sawyer, Cain or Boyarsky in Avowed.
Not that it looks interesting to me, but Silent Hill was made by a group of developers Konami didn't have any faith in and people that they only hired just to keep any other studio from hiring them. They put them in a room in the basement to make a game they didn't really care anything about and it was one of their biggest hits ever and something they never could manage to replicate once that team left the company. I'm not even sure the moral of that story, but I'm sure it isn't that games these days just might suck because of corporate interference and design-by-committee.

But none of those guys were stars until Silent Hill was a hit.
TOW is a 6.5/10 game, it doesn't suck as much as it is aggressively mediocre.
This is my take as well.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
What's up with the color purple in general?
It is the year of purple brains producing purple prose for purple-colored games.

Same as how Nature uses bright and saturated colors to warn us of danger. Purple warns us of bad writing.

Add Wrath of the Righteous to the list too, along with DA: PurpleNotWolf.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
TINA AMINI: And we just saw a quick flash of ourselves, actually, and we are-- actually, if you could explain, too, because we are a Godlike.

CARRIE PATEL: Yes.

TINA AMINI: We are almost the opposite of Yatzli in that way. So what does that mean in the world of-- the universe in general, and why we look the way that we look here.

CARRIE PATEL: Sure, so in the world of Pillars of Eternity, a Godlike is a member of any kith species whose soul has been touched in some way by one of the gods. You can play as a Godlike in Pillars one or Deadfire. In Avowed, you are definitely a Godlike, and being a Godlike will manifest in a number of different ways. But one of them is you usually have a unique physical appearance that manifests in some way on your face and/or head.

Now, with Avowed, you can choose exactly what that manifestation looks like. This lichen-like growth is one of your options, but you will have some that are a lot bigger and more dramatic, and you'll also have some that are a lot subtler.

But either way, you have a connection to one of the gods. The thing that's unique about you is you don't know which one, and most Godlikes of Eora, it's very well known which god they share a lineage with. For you, it is a mystery, and that's one of the things you'll get to explore in your journey through Avowed.

I think this is new information? Earlier this year they said you could only be a human or elf (which I guess is still true in a fashion).
Yes, and it's pretty close to dissuading me from even trying the game out.

Should be renamed to Aghast.

Avowid.

Last edited:

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
I don't think it will be bad, just kind of forgettable. I don't get the impending sense of doom that I get from watching the DAVe promos but none of the companions sound interesting to me and the little we've heard of the story doesn't seem very inspired. I'm open to being proved wrong and I'll probably still get it, either at release if nothing else good comes out around the same time or in the digital bargain bin somewhere down the road, but I'm not particularly optimistic about it.

Lemming42

Arcane
Yeah, jokes aside I would probably be mildly optimistic about Avowed were it not for TOW, which I genuinely despised so much that it put me off anything this team make in the immediate future. I'm open to the possibility of Avowed being a decent Skyrim-lite, and it turning out to be an enjoyable enough way to spend 20~ hours.

It is, however, way funnier for the purposes of this thread to rip it to fucking shreds and complain intensely about every new piece of information, and there's about a 30% chance that the game will be bad enough that all the hate will be entirely justified anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom