Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It’s incredible how strong opinions people who’re allegedly not going to use these options have about them.
:bro:
it is very likely the game accounts for that at hardest difficulty so you still end up being affected by it.
Take my word, it's much more likely the game doesn't account for respec than that it does :)

Yosharian

Arcane
That's sensible. A player's desire to modify Shadowheart's starting Dexterity is definitely analogous to wanting her to change into an automobile.
The original argument was about changing the starting class. Making Wyll not have any levels of Warlock, even though his quest is about his patron demon and his dialogue is about making a pact.
Changing Wyll into a Wizard is also not analogous to changing him into a vehicle with wheels, dude.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
The difficulty argument is such bullshit lol. If you change all companion builds so that you have 4x broken meta builds with optimal stats, sure that cheapens your difficulty, but how is that different to just cheating?

The rest of us who are capable of not doing that and still want control over our party’s builds shouldn’t be hampered because you’re afraid someone else is going to cheat. Why do you even give a fuck?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
That's sensible. A player's desire to modify Shadowheart's starting Dexterity is definitely analogous to wanting her to change into an automobile.
The original argument was about changing the starting class. Making Wyll not have any levels of Warlock, even though his quest is about his patron demon and his dialogue is about making a pact.
Changing Wyll into a Wizard is also not analogous to changing him into a vehicle with wheels, dude.

I’m going to make my Wyll a Druid/Paladin just to spite these pearl-clutchers

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
The tadpoles already cause the characters to share thoughts. Why not share abilities too? And skin as well. One classless, raceless, sexless, amorphous blob both divine and profane. Is that what you want? Is that what Divinity Original Sin means?
Swen wanted to pursue this concept, but Larian was deterred by a lawsuit brought by the estate of Harlan Ellison.

3969917-harlan-ellison-i-have-no-mouth-and-i-must-scream-dos-front-cover.jpg

what is really the beef against respecing, if you ignore lore issues?

there must have been tons of people that gave up on Underrail due to early build breaking content, and with no way to change it than to start over completely, so that part of respec in BG3 makes total sense to me.
this, and the fact that devs tend to shit on the keyboard when they assign attributes etc to npc's, makes it a lot more user friendly than having to use cheat engine/save editing to correct their mistakes.

Saravan

Savant
It’s incredible how strong opinions people who’re allegedly not going to use these options have about them.
:bro:
it is very likely the game accounts for that at hardest difficulty so you still end up being affected by it.
Take my word, it's much more likely the game doesn't account for respec than that it does :)
That’s even worse because the hardest difficulty will be trivialised even more by removing sensible restrictions.

Saving these quotes for when you all come here to cry about how easy the game is and combat being boring.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Both will be similarly removed from his dialogue and the overall game narrative. Though you are being autistic about my comedic exaggeration.
At any rate, minmaxing the PERFECT AMOUNT OF DEXTERITY for Shadowheart could've been done by editing files or console commands or mods, and didn't require the ability to change companions in a way that breaks their plot. The border is arbitrary too. I can change Frog to be a wizard, but I can't change her to be an elf? Why, changing her to a wizard already breaks all her dialogue, which is heavily based on her being a hotheaded fighter. Why can't I change her to be a dude, too? Plot is already broken by changing her class. Why can't I make her a naga with 6 hands, so she can sextuplewield great swrods? I could on the tabletop. And the plot is already broken anyway.

Its obviously a designer giving in to whiners. Its obviously not what they wanted. Its obviously not good, and would make the game less fun if you change starting classes of companions.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
NPCs should be locked to their classes and stats, since it's a campaign and they're characters with a backstory etc.

If there's some way to cheat, then that's fine. I don't care. But making the cheats part of the game is a little odd.

The whole thing seems like an unimportant issue though.

so this is what the haters were referring to as good writing/voice acting when shitting on bg3? :lol:

Are you unironically watching this stupid spoiler narration, done by someone who hasn't even played the end of the saga (ToB)?

listened with half an ear while browsing the net. is there a better summary? i don't wanna play RTWP so playing the games myself is out of the question.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Both will be similarly removed from his dialogue and the overall game narrative. Though you are being autistic about my comedic exaggeration.
At any rate, minmaxing the PERFECT AMOUNT OF DEXTERITY for Shadowheart could've been done by editing files or console commands or mods, and didn't require the ability to change companions in a way that breaks their plot. The border is arbitrary too. I can change Frog to be a wizard, but I can't change her to be an elf? Why, changing her to a wizard already breaks all her dialogue, which is heavily based on her being a hotheaded fighter. Why can't I change her to be a dude, too? Plot is already broken by changing her class. Why can't I make her a naga with 6 hands, so she can sextuplewield great swrods? I could on the tabletop. And the plot is already broken anyway.

Its obviously a designer giving in to whiners. Its obviously not what they wanted. Its obviously not good, and would make the game less fun if you change starting classes of companions.

Nothing is broken for me. I literally don’t give a fuck about the discrepancy, I don’t even think about it while I’m playing. What’s weird here is you being so concerned about my immersion when I know from experience that it isn’t affected in the slightest.

Saravan

Savant
Again what’s the point in designing a character around their class if you can just delete it? Might as well make all characters a question mark for you to completely redesign. Why stop at class, can’t I change Wyll into a Dragonborn? Why you wanna stop my freedom?

Also it’s much more satisfying overcoming bad stat distribution than just starting every character with optimised stats.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Lots of games overcome this by including achievements that only pop up if you don't respec or class change or whatever. Since 99% of zoomers are addicted to achievements, usually that works pretty well

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
That’s even worse because the hardest difficulty will be trivialised even more by removing sensible restrictions.

Saving these quotes for when you all come here to cry about how easy the game is and combat being boring.
1. You plan to look for some sort of tactical challenge in this game? With mods, maybe.

2. Please do. But if I don't come to cry, I'll remind you of this as well.

Saravan

Savant

1. You plan to look for some sort of tactical challenge in this game? With mods, maybe.

2. Please do. But if I don't come to cry, I'll remind you of this as well.
What’s your plan? To immerse yourself in bear fuckery?

Everyone is autistic about rule changes, builds and whatnot because they presumably are looking for fun combat. Or are all your previous posts in this thread about Larian barrelmancy a talking point about how the story will play out?

Saravan

Savant
Also it’s much more satisfying overcoming bad stat distribution than just starting every character with optimised stats.
thanks for your opinion dawg :salute:
Ok? Your take on freedom is also an opinion. What even is your retarded point?
i jut think that instead of getting up in the morning to cry online about video games, maybe you should suck a black cock about it instead. :lol:
You are also here in the morning to respond. These takes never work when you engage in the shit too retard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom