Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

The voice acting is extremely offputting and animation is disgusting. Why did they even bother?
The game has often excellent voice acting.
This simply wasn't one of the most accomplished moments in EA.

But frankly, aside from the IDEA behind this "hilarious" gag being garbage to begin with, this clip highlights an even worse issue.
The fact that Larian has often a HORRENDOUS sense of cinematography and more than anything they can't get the "silent protagonist" right to save their own lives.

We talked about this even months ago in this thread, but to reiterate the point: every time the camera lingers on your mute main character reacting to something, the effect is almost unintentional comedic.
You often tend to over-act and overreact like an alcoholic street mime on the verge of a stroke.

Gradenmayer

Learned
The voice acting is extremely offputting and animation is disgusting. Why did they even bother?
This simply wasn't one of the most accomplished moments in EA.

But frankly, aside from the IDEA behind this "hilarious" gag being garbage to begin with, this clip highlights an even worse issue.
The fact that Larian has often a HORRENDOUS sense of cinematography and more than anything they can't get the "silent protagonist" right to save their own lives.

We talked about this even months ago in this thread, but to reiterate the point: every time the camera lingers on your mute main character reacting to something, the effect is almost unintentional comedic.
You often tend to over-act and overreact like an alcoholic street mime on the verge of a stroke.

That’s because you play a pussy that does conversation checks instead of immediately escalating into physical violence.

That’s because you play a pussy that does conversation checks instead of immediately escalating into physical violence.
It's actually WORSE when you attempt to play a silent tough guy like, say, a big barbarian, because seeing your character being all squeamish and acting absolutely terrified when a puny undead skeleton raises to attack you is more than a bit out of character.

On an unrelated note, I know some people enjoy this shit, but every time I read D&D players (and roleplayers in general, really) writing detailed backstories about how AWESOME their character already was way before hitting level 1 I feel this strong mixture of pity and contempt.

Gradenmayer

Learned
On an unrelated note, I know some people enjoy this shit, but every time I read D&D players (and roleplayers in general, really) writing detailed backstories about how AWESOME their character already was way before hitting level 1 I feel this strong mixture of pity and contempt.
Well, even level 1 player characters are way stronger than average folks. Makes sense that they have some background and expertise.

But Wyll, Shadowheart and Githgirl being level 1 is still nonsense.

At least the other 3 explain it with their power dropping due to some occurrence.

Edit: nvm, Shadowheart has been brainjumbled and lost memory, so she makes sense too.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Well, even level 1 player characters are way stronger than average folks. Makes sense that they have some background and expertise.

At least the other 3 explain it with their power dropping due to some occurrence.

Explaining Minsc and Jaheira is even worse consider near-demigod powers at the end of ToB. But I mean, who really gives a fuck.

guess all the people sperging out about companion respec

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
acnihaxwexeb1.png

sorcerer + scalie = fully customizable character

Gradenmayer

Learned

Explaining Minsc and Jaheira is even worse consider near-demigod powers at the end of ToB. But I mean, who really gives a fuck.

guess all the people sperging out about companion respec
I guess levels don’t have any lore relevance here. But yeah, it’s not a big deal.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Given that Jaheira and Minsc reappear, I would be surprised if Larian didn’t try to work in Imoen or Viconia in somehow (e.g., Viconia having some part to play in Shadowheart’s quest).

Last edited:

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Given that Jaheira and Minsc reappear,
I would be surprised if Larian didn’t try to work in Imoen or Viconia in somehow (e.g., Viconia having some part to play in Shadowheart’s quest).

At least Korgan is far too prestigious for Larian's shenanigans.

...right? :hmmm:

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
I'd rather my henchmen from BG1&2 be dead than suffer the Larian treatment. They'll end up suffering some perverse physical comedy spout irreverent larianesque dialogue.

At least if they're already dead you don't have to watch them have their character assassinated by a pack of homos.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I'd rather my henchmen from BG1&2 be dead than suffer the Larian treatment. They'll end up suffering some perverse physical comedy spout irreverent larianesque dialogue.

At least if they're already dead you don't have to watch them have their character assassinated by a pack of homos.
It is not so much a want for BG1 and BG2 characters to return, but if Larian had to bring back some characters for nostalgia I am surprised they chose Jaheira or Minsc over some others.

Aphex81

Scholar
That's level scaling for you.

Shaki

Arbiter

It is not so much a want for BG1 and BG2 characters to return, but if Larian had to bring back some characters for nostalgia I am surprised they chose Jaheira or Minsc over some others.
Minsc is absolutely not surprising, he was by far the most beloved companion from BG 1/2. Jaheira is a weird choice tho

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

Minsc is absolutely not surprising, he was by far the most beloved companion from BG 1/2. Jaheira is a weird choice tho

Jaheira doesn't feel like a weird choice for me. She's a common companion that is almost always taken by normies in BG1 & BG2 and has a habit of letting her partners die and then shacking up with someone new.
Plus she's elfish so the huge time gap is justifiable. For all the human companions they have to make up some crazy shit about why they are alive.

--

That said..

What would be really weird is if a company came in and tried to make characters like Safana or Skie the focus.. God.. You'd have to be PRETTY retarded to do that.

Shaki

Arbiter

Jaheira doesn't feel like a weird choice for me. She's a common companion that is almost always taken by normies in BG1 & BG2 and has a habit of letting her partners die and then shacking up with someone new.
Plus she's elfish so the huge time gap is justifiable. For all the human companions they have to make up some crazy shit about why they are alive.

--

That said..

What would be really weird is if a company came in and tried to make characters like Safana or Skie the focus.. God.. You'd have to be PRETTY retarded to do that.
Yeah, but I really expected them to bring back Viconia or Aerie for the coomers

MerchantKing

Learned
The narrator is intentionally trying to go for this edgy ASMR-like whisper with a melodramatic cadence almost like an ameteur trying read Poe and make their voice sound dark and edgy. 100% cringe. And then when other characters chime in with a similar kind voice acting, especially with the unnaturally flamboyant gay vampire. Don't worry! he'll be extra flamboyant though after he's tied to the stake in the government district! Voice acting was a mistake.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

--

That said..

Yeah, but I really expected them to bring back Viconia or Aerie for the coomers

Viconia is likely to be Shadowheart's mistress.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom