Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Reinhardt

Arcane
Yes.

Larianshill

Arbiter
Thanks Larianshill - for the first point, any plans to address? How would you describe itemization?
Who knows. Everyone is telling Larian that their rest system sucks. Even loads of "casuals". But at this point you should know how stubborn they are when it comes to stick to bad design they already committed to.

About the itemization. In principle so far it's the typical D&D stuff: some "standanrd" magical +1 available from notable vendors, some unique items placed around the world as loot, treasures or reward, in line with what your average DM guide would suggest, etc.
I don't particularly like the way it's presented, as it's in "tiered colored levels" like your average shitty MMO, but that's just a cosmetic side note. Functionally it's typical D&D loot, period.
Now, how GOOD the itemization will be overall across the entire game is still too soon to tell, at this point.

agris

Arcane
Patron
That colorized shit still matters tho Tuco Benedicto Pacifico , aesthetics / art direction are an important part of games. Think about BG1 item info popups vs something like WoW or Diablo 2/3/69.

edit: also, I have no idea how stubborn they are. All their modern games have had such a repugnant aspect[1] about them that I bounce off it before experiencing the more nuanced mechanical flaws.

[1] aesthetic, itemization, writing - not necessarily all 3, but at least 1

jackofshadows

Magister
you should know how stubborn they are when it comes to stick to bad design they already committed to.
They did change the atrocious "I raised a sword" dialogue thing after all. But yeah, I don't think they'll change the rest game's logic one bit, at least for casual's sake. For itemisation seems that they're looking for some middle-ground and so far it looks passable.
  • how is the writing?
Questionable. Better than it was in D:OS games for sure but it had some utter shit developments ("evil" path, mostly) until they've promised to change it.

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
Thanks but I’m not optimistic. Life’s too short for passable modern RPGs when there’s so many better options.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
On a side note, I’ve spotted a bunch of guys on the Larian forum who boldly claimed PoE II was their favorite game EVER.
PoE2 isn't even the greatest game in it's own series...
"Shh..shittty DOS gamezzz!! Hururrdduurrr"

agTuAnZ.png

RUQlxRr.png
"Someone please tell me what is good and what I should like. I really need people's approval. I can't think for myself."

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
On a side note, I’ve spotted a bunch of guys on the Larian forum who boldly claimed PoE II was their favorite game EVER.
PoE2 isn't even the greatest game in it's own series...
"Shh..shittty DOS gamezzz!! Hururrdduurrr"

agTuAnZ.png

RUQlxRr.png
"Someone please tell me what is good and what I should like. I really need people's approval. I can't think for myself."
He even went for that journo's rating lol,what a sad fuck.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
There are countless reasons I always preferred the way D&D handles itemization compared to a lot of these loot-focused computer games.

You forgot the major one. It is degrading and humiliating for my pants to have more intelligence than my wizard, or for a pair of boots to have more strength than our strongest warrior.
I think Mount&Blade has the right idea about RPG itemization. All weapons and armor are pretty comparable, and you pay ever increasing amounts of cash for ever more minor boosts.

THIS is what peak itemization looks like:
zidoehzm83k11.jpg

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
You forgot the major one. It is degrading and humiliating for my pants to have more intelligence than my wizard, or for a pair of boots to have more strength than our strongest warrior.

Yep. This games "everyone is a clone, but the unique way to become stronger or more intelligent is by finding fancier boots" is the worst form of bastardization of attributes. Larian games is full of this modern game mechanics which makes zero sense. Ideally, magical gear which boosts attributes should be rare and give a minor boost. And just like you can dispel the magic spells, you should be able to dispel the magic spells on magical gear. With spells like disjunction. It can transform a belt of giant strength into a normal belt.

And M&B has the right idea of itemization. Crossbows aren't expensive however, masterwork siege crossbows are. You pay much more for a bit less quality. And that bit less quality makes difference when dealing with top grade armor. Even the mods which makes M&B a high fantasy game, doesn't have this BS "you are what you wear" which kills the power fantasy and kills the immersion.

Shitposter
Guys I have a new idea for a character for Larian's Successor to Le epic DOS2: Balder gate 3
RUQlxRr.png

It's like this:
Imagine, a big ol stack of BACON:
P6Ldl9j.jpg

BUT you can TALK to it if u get the "talk to le epic bacon" trait in character creation!
And the bacon says:
"I AM LE EPIC BACON!!!!! FOR THE WIN!!!!" and does a cool funny BACON dance
:dance::dance::dance::dance:
and you get a steam gamer achievement that's like "LE EPIC BACON!!!!!!!"
Then u can make a reddit post like "LARIANS BALD GATE 3 IS THE BEST GAME EPIC EVER I FOUND LE EPIC BACON FOR THE WIN!!!!!! POGGERS POGGERS POGGERSS!!!!" and everyone's like:
OCL9tbP.jpg

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Pity that true Larian cultists are destined to stay unaware of such an excellent example of brave trolling. Seriously guys, while you here try your hardest at squishing your humor gland, those gimmicks loving, soy eating Halsin’s chest admirers bully our boy Tuco who silently fights till the bitter end. Shame.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I criticized BG3 for having a low level epic campaign a lot, but found a game which did the opposite. On DDO, they ported some classic adventure packs to the mmo like the Keep on the Borderlands and they scaled the module to epic level. So here is my epic level pale master spamming maximized/empowered/intensified tier 9 spells like meteor swarm and SLA like necrotic blast on ... Kobolds and Gnolls. I honestly don't know if it is more ridiculous than lv 1 wizards with ancient Netherese magical nukes.

But a honest question. I played BG3 one weak after the EA launch. Did the uodates changed anything besides the Druid class?

Shitposter
Did the uodates changed anything besides the Druid class?
Few things,
  • they added a number of genders and sexual orientations you can select at character creator and they let you change these at any time
  • there's a permanent button in the UI that links to the official discussion forum for BG3, reddit.com, where you can discuss all the epic adventures your party experiences. This cannot be disabled
  • they've completed one of the party member's storylines (it has to do with how they were bullied for being transgender and getting revenge on the bully, but the quest can't be completed unless you use the proper pronouns throughout)
  • they added some of the narrator's lines (he's a goofy british accent guy who uses trademark british wit and sarcasm, HILARIOUS!)
  • new party member, Pickle Rick from Rick and Morty. A walking, talking, pickle that follows you around and interrupts dialogues with fun facts about science and the world of balder's gate. This party member cannot be removed from your team as he's central to the storyline but he doesn't take up party space (since he doesn't do anything in combat except occasionally remark on your tactics)

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I criticized BG3 for having a low level epic campaign a lot, but found a game which did the opposite. On DDO, they ported some classic adventure packs to the mmo like the Keep on the Borderlands and they scaled the module to epic level. So here is my epic level pale master spamming maximized/empowered/intensified tier 9 spells like meteor swarm and SLA like necrotic blast on ... Kobolds and Gnolls. I honestly don't know if it is more ridiculous than lv 1 wizards with ancient Netherese magical nukes.

But a honest question. I played BG3 one weak after the EA launch. Did the uodates changed anything besides the Druid class?

The updates aren't anything earth shattering - expect about the same game with a bellcurved D20.

Being a level 1 weeb trying to escape an illithid ship is okaaaay.. I guess, since you only ever find brainy-boiz and other losers who are mind controlled.
AKA, You are sort of falling through the cracks as the Scary Illithid deals with the much more pressing issue of the nine hells.

I think just the whole intro is off putting to me though.. It's too awesome button.. Why can't I just start in a tavern? I like taverns.

Poseidon00

Arcane
Being a level 1 weeb trying to escape an illithid ship is okaaaay

It's not okay, it's a fucking crime and always has been. You should be insta-dead from a single trap rather than be allowed to escape alive in the middle of a battle lol.

I think just the whole intro is off putting to me.. It's too awesome buttony.

Very much so.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
just thought i'd peak in to see how the fire is raging. few questions:
  • has larian demonstrated it "gets" IE-style itemization, or is it divinity original shit-tier itemization?

Sven looked so sad in that interview. "Well.. DnD is different from DoS.. so itemization has to be handled differently"

You just know that crazy fuck wanted to have Diablo 3 items exploding out of every chest.
Why the fuck does Larian love that shit?

expect about the same game with a bellcurved D20
buncha_shit.jpg

why?

?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom