Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Yosharian

Arcane
I get that no computer can "act" as a above genius lich, but the devs should at least try.
It actually can. The problem of writing AI is not whether it can destroy us, that's easy because the computer can counter anything we do perfectly (an example is the Mortal Kombat AI), it's reeling it in enough for it to present a challenge without it being impossible.
Utter nonsense.

Larianshill

Arbiter
What happened during the previous one?
A very, very stretched out presentation, during which boring patch notes were revealed, along with a druid class. Then Swen tried beating the hag with various gimmicky strategies, and none of them worked out.

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
It actually can. The problem of writing AI is not whether it can destroy us, that's easy because the computer can counter anything we do perfectly (an example is the Mortal Kombat AI), it's reeling it in enough for it to present a challenge without it being impossible.

In a relatively simple arena, sure, this is technically true. But the real reason almost all the AI in gaming is garbage and has only worsened in the last 20 years is because any AI engineer worth a damn is working on advertising algorithms and augmented reality.

Thonius

Arcane

In a relatively simple arena, sure, this is technically true. But the real reason almost all the AI in gaming is garbage and has only worsened in the last 20 years is because any AI engineer worth a damn is working on advertising algorithms and augmented reality.
No real ai of any extreme complexity needed at mortal combat. System is glorified rock paper scissors with xy movement on top. Ai inmi doesn't have to be smart, just have a reaction. Same with shooters. Devs cut corners and instead of building on fear foundation they just boost HP and acc with diff settings.

Larianshill

Arbiter
Here's an interesting bit of trivia. Do you know why the creature AI in Black and White is so much better than in Black and White 2? That's because Demis Hassabis worked only on the first one. He's now CEO of DeepMind.

Here's an interesting bit of trivia. Do you know why the creature AI in Black and White is so much better than in Black and White 2? That's because Demis Hassabis worked only on the first one. He's now CEO of DeepMind.
Demis is one of the best AI minds in the world, he was wasted in the video game industry tbh.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
How many times did you Larian cultists played BG3 EA?

After I wasted 1h and 13 min fighting goblins, I lost my interest, downloaded some mods to test, uninstalled never touched again. My last time played was oct 19, 2020.

Is not just presenting a challenge. IMO RPG's should be immersive and fun experience and seeing a enemy with 20+ INT mindless walking into a death zone is against both. A ancient dragon should be something that requires coordination of many high level nobles to take him down, and since he has high INT, act intelligently. Same with other legendary creatures. I loved the Vordakai's Tomb on Pathfinder Kingmaker, but the Vordakai's fight it self was terrible. Too easy.

One Lich fight which I liked was on DDO. I don't remember his name or the name quest. Only that was close to house Jorasco. You "climb" a tower with a lich in top and when I was in the top, he dispels your protections and open a "trap" in the floor, sending you to the ground. If I din't had memorized the feather fall spell, the damage from falling would have killed me. Outpower him with magic was not a option too since he can cast magic far greater than a mid level player.

Other thing which I really miss on modern games is deadly traps. DDO also did difficulty right. Enemies level up on higher difficulty, getting access to higher level spells, higher level gear and a lot o traps which aren't present on normal become not only present but deadly on elite/reaper. I probably got killed more by traps on DDO than by mobs.

-----

Honestly, there is a good thing about DOS2 and BG3. After playing a bit of both, my standards for RPG's are now much lower. Before I could't enjoy epic level DDO due bad mechanics(having to level less optimal epic destinies for reincarnation, number bloat, too many boring cooldowns to manage), now I an enjoying a thing which I never enjoyed before. Because DOS2 is so shit on game mechanics that everything else that isn't total trash looks great in comparison.

Thanks Larian for lowering my standards. DOS2 game mechanics is on the shitest tier with arcania, diablo 3, wow and the 666 trillion clones, dragon age inquisition, etc. I can't wait to play BG3 wiht 666 mods to remove all larienism from the game.

Last edited:

Shrimp

Liturgist
Why do I have a feeling that their LARPing is going to take up a majority of the stream time and that "exploring patch 5's content" will be a five minute endeavour

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

After I wasted 1h and 13 min fighting goblins, I lost my interest, downloaded some mods to test, uninstalled never touched again. My last time played was oct 19, 2020.

Is not just presenting a challenge. IMO RPG's should be immersive and fun experience and seeing a enemy with 20+ INT mindless walking into a death zone is against both. A ancient dragon should be something that requires coordination of many high level nobles to take him down, and since he has high INT. Same with other legendary creatures. I loved the Vordakai's Tomb on Pathfinder Kingmaker, but the Vordakai's fight it self was terrible. Too easy.

One Lich fight which I liked was on DDO. I don't remember his name or the name quest. Only that was close to house Jorasco. You "climb" a tower with a lich in top and when I was in the top, he dispels your protections and open a "trap" in the floor, sending you to the ground. If I din't had memorized the feather fall spell, the damage from falling would have killed me. Outpower him with magic was not a option too since he can cast magic far greater than a mid level player.

Other thing which I really miss on modern games is deadly traps. DDO also did difficulty right. Enemies level up on higher difficulty, getting access to higher level spells, higher level gear and a lot o traps which aren't present on normal become not only present but deadly on elite/reaper. I probably got killed more by traps on DDO than by mobs.

-----

Honestly, there is a good thing about DOS2 and BG3. After playing a bit of both, my standards for RPG's are now much lower. Before I could't enjoy epic level DDO due bad mechanics(having to level less optimal epic destinies for reincarnation, number bloat, too many boring cooldowns to manage), now I an enjoying a thing which I never enjoyed before. Because DOS2 is so shit on game mechanics that everything else that isn't total trash looks great in comparison.

Thanks Larian for lowering my standards. DOS2 game mechanics is on the shitest tier with arcania, diablo 3, wow and the 666 trillion clones, dragon age inquisition, etc. I can't wait to play BG3 wiht 666 mods to remove all larienism from the game.
You should wait and see their arcanum 2 game,then you will think that dos and baldur's gape 3 were amazing games.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
By those very small hints Fanta provides us in his posts you can notice he’s still in search of a tranny that will straponize his gypsy ass.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1086940/view/2970669042943132348

Pre-Patch Announcement
518ae5a594cb838ebe0dc3b97ee9165ca8eeceda.jpg

Hello everyone! How are you doing?

It’s been a few months since we last spoke. Our lockdown hair is a little longer, our quarantine gut is a little rounder, and with every cubic inch that Adam Smith’s beard grows in volume we get ever closer to releasing our next patch. After calculating its weight and circumference, we can safely say that day is right around the corner.

Patch 5 is heading to you next week, and we’ve got an epic Panel From Hell planned to showcase all the updates coming your way. Make sure you join us July 8th at 11am PT on Twitch where our team of Baldurian devs and magic wielders will introduce all the new the contents of Patch 5, then vote on what happens next as they scour a wizard’s tower in search of an ancient artifact in: Panel From Hell 3 - Twitch Plays: A Most Noble Sacrifice.

Of course, with Patch 5 imminent, we want to remind you that any saves made Patch 4 or prior will no longer be compatible when updated.

So we’re once againbranching out with the same solution as before. There are options for you if you want to continue your Patch 3 or Patch 4 saves, or if you instead want to make sure you’ve got the most up-to-date content. Have a gander below and follow the directions for whichever solution suits you best.

1. How to Update Your Game to Patch 5: If you want to play the most up to date version of the game and have never opted into any beta branches in the past, then good news: You don’t need to do anything! When the patch releases, you will receive the most updated version of the game as long as you have automatic updates enabled. To enable automatic updates, please follow the steps below:
  • Right click on the game in your Steam library
  • Select properties
  • Click the Updates tab
  • Select "Always keep this game updated" in the drop down menu

ba7430cffada8435eb86aeb563aebcd9a25002c3.gif

2. How to Update to Patch 5 If You’ve Opted into an Earlier Beta Branch: If you previously opted into any beta for either Patch 2 or Patch 3 and want to ensure you get the most up to date content when Patch 5 goes live, then please follow the steps below:
  • Select properties
  • Click the Betas tab
  • Select "None" in the drop down menu

0577000f5e6e81647aba0d24ebb1b8b20fb5618d.gif

3. How to Continue Your Patch 4 Save: If you want to continue your progress on Patch 4, then take the following steps. Alternatively, if you just want to update your game from Patch 4 then follow the very first set of instructions laid out at the top of the page.
  • Select properties
  • Click the BETAS tab
  • In the list under "Select the beta you would like to opt in to", select Patch 4
  • Close the properties menu

5ab0e90083b62fd72c0456faa68368ddf5bab335.gif

If you’d like to continue your save file on the current version, you can move to the Patch 4 beta branch now. Save files are not ‘deleted’ from your computer; they’ll remain in your folder, but you’ll only be able to load saves specific to their respective versions.

Important Note: If you want the option to go back to the previous patch, it’s best to make a new in-game profile and backup your local saves from the previous patch. You can do the following before or after you update to the latest version:
  • Before starting a new playthrough, create a new profile by clicking the profiles button on the top left of the main menu. All your progress in the new patch will then be saved under this profile while your old saves are safe in the previous profile.
  • As an extra safety measure, you can manually back up your savegames:
    Go to /Documents/Larian Studios/Baldur's Gate 3/PlayerProfiles/
    Find the folder that is named after the profile you used in the previous patch
    Copy and paste this entire folder into a backup location
  • If you want to revert back to the previous patch, follow the instructions above and activate your old profile
  • If you have somehow lost your progress by overwriting savegames and want to restore your old backed up savegames simply copy over your old profile folder into its original location again: /Documents/Larian Studios/Baldur's Gate 3/PlayerProfiles/
    Sync back to the patch2 beta branch with the instructions above and load your old savegames

Thonius

Arcane
OH BOI OH BOI! PATCHIE! NO WAIT It's EVEN BETTER it's PATCH ANNOUNCEMENT! I HOPE I'll have enough good boi points with my wife's boyfriend so he'll let me play it!
:roll:
State of industry gents. What they are going to add I wonder... meaningful features? :hahano:

Shrimp

Liturgist
Since this patch is supposedly more about QoL and system changed rather than adding new content (content such as classes and quests) this is likely their biggest chance at showing whether or not they've been listening to feedback from the players.

Codex Year of the Donut
Since this patch is supposedly more about QoL and system changed rather than adding new content (content such as classes and quests) this is likely their biggest chance at showing whether or not they've been listening to feedback from the players.
as the head of the official rpgcodex larian fanclub, I think most of you will still be butthurt either way so I will make no official statement on the matter

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
as the head of the official rpgcodex larian fanclub, I think most of you will still be butthurt either way so I will make no official statement on the matter
As the head of the official rpgcodex anti-larian fanclub, I think you shouldn't be surprised that people will be butthurt over such a crime against the humanities despite anything those inept larian cunts do.

Zeriel

Arcane

Is not just presenting a challenge. IMO RPG's should be immersive and fun experience and seeing a enemy with 20+ INT mindless walking into a death zone is against both. A ancient dragon should be something that requires coordination of many high level nobles to take him down, and since he has high INT, act intelligently. Same with other legendary creatures. I loved the Vordakai's Tomb on Pathfinder Kingmaker, but the Vordakai's fight it self was terrible. Too easy.

-----

Sounds like you got further in it than I. I took one look at the level up screen, saw how dumbed down character details were, and just noped right on out of there. I don't know enough about 5E D&D to know whether that is a decline inherent in the system now or whether it was Larian's doing, but it's really quite something that they got the D&D license and somehow ended up with a simpler system than their already casualized homebrew Divinity systems designed for fun and accessibility first of all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom