Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
FAKE NEWS
10 minutes ago

mediocrepoet

Gale: A Human Wizard, Gale has one ambition: to become the greatest wizard Faerun has ever known. Yet his thirst for magic led to disaster. A Netherese Destruction Orb beats in his chest, counting down to an explosion that can level a city. Gale is confident he'll overcome it, but time is not on his side.

https://baldursgate3.wiki.fextralife.com/Companions

Don't ever doubt me again, fucker.
The fake news was about you caring, you old senile bastard.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
... I just want to meet some adventurers in a tavern, explore dungeons, kill monsters/people and take their treasure.
Then play Solasta.

Solasta was a good 5e combat sim, but failed at basically everything else.

Also, it shat on melee martials even more than normal by making everything fly or climb in the name of verticality, which was interesting for all of 5 minutes before it became frustrating.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
... I just want to meet some adventurers in a tavern, explore dungeons, kill monsters/people and take their treasure.
Then play Solasta.

Solasta was a good 5e combat sim, but failed at basically everything else.

Also, it shat on melee martials even more than normal by making everything fly or climb in the name of verticality, which was interesting for all of 5 minutes before it became frustrating.
Try that melee ranger archetype with a wood elf (high movement) and a decent athletics skill for jumping and climbing. It's crazy.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I should really go back to Solasta and actually finish the campaign, but it really didn't grab me in terms of plot and writing quality.

From what I've seen of BG3, it seems like the same issue here.

The original BG games weren't exactly great in the writing department, but they were serviceable. I'm assuming all the good writers in 2023 are smart enough to leave video games alone.

Gargaune

Arcane
So much buyer's remorse right now. Fucking Troika, if they hadn't made ToEE so good I'd have never bought this miserable EA and I'd be happily shitting on it from a distance.

Bg3 will be like what the witcher 3 was for CDprojekt red, the game that makes Larian and shoots me into epic stardom alongside Miyamoto and Carmack.
Thank God you're still here, Swen, you're the best thing Larian's ever made. Don't you ever leave us!

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
You failed your perception checks. This has been an ongoing issue so I'm inclined to believe @Terenty's post.
I'm willing to accept that. This is why I asked for a citation.
I thought the game looked much worse than it did in patch 6, turns out I was right: https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=819163

Great job breaking it, Larian.
Looks like they installed a bad ENB mod yeah.

That said, I think the colors looked washed out before. Surely there had to be a happier medium though.

kouOlBC.jpeg

Shadowheart looks sunburned. What were they thinking?

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Maybe codex is right and adding narrative to RPGs was the greatest decline...

hushed voice: "What... is he doing?"

focused voice: "He is beginning to believe."

Storyfags are cancer.

Hmmmm... I'm going to take entirely the wrong lesson from this.

Storyfags + combatfags = codex unity greater profit

:philosoraptor:

Has there even been a RPG that both liked?

I do think the game tends to look way darker than it did in early patches, and they seemingly change companions and npc's appearances in between every single patch. Gotta thank that SCRUM schedule I guess.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
What would combatfags like in MoTB again?
The way the "curse" influences gameplay, and how you choose to deal with it mechanically. The hard barriers in the Temple to make sure you get to the Gate when you're at a specific level. You get a mech battle. I don't know. I'm a storyfag. I've just been told that combatfags like it as well. XD

S.torch

Liturgist
The way the "curse" influences gameplay, and how you choose to deal with it mechanically.

Combatretards don't care about gameplay, they only care about their trashy metagaming power building theorycrafted after reloading the game 20 times and knowing full well what is ahead.

In this sense they should be very happy with Baldur's Gate 3. Because I can't fathom someone seeing this clownfest and thinking "wow, what atmosphere! these ugly uncanny valley faces and butchered lore really immerse me in the experience!".

Gromoer

Educated
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I may be one of the very few who overall liked or better say got what they intended to do in their 8th patch regarding visuals. They tried to tone down the cartoon-y overly saturated colors by introducing some kind of homogenous volumetric filter. They also got rid from the overly spiked contrast, which of course makes the picture less entertaining, but dare I say more realistic.
On the other hand, this brought some drawbacks such as the Underdark has become an Underbright. They have also added more colors variances here and there probably to compensate for the striped down overall palette.
So I guess the intention was good, implementation could be better.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
700 pages of off topic talk and 0 relevant development. Laffo.
I've done my best to divert this thread toward discussion of classic D&D/AD&D! +M

zdes09.jpg

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Singular, epic narratives take least advantage of RPGs as a medium but unfortunately because of precedent they are most likely to be used. Real RPGs generally exist in the space that is outside of "main quest" within RPGs. That is why some of the best RPG experiences are either DLCs or found in exploring the game's content. Even in BG2, the ultimate epic RPG, the best parts are found in side quests and exploration. Nobody remembers BG2 for the slog towards the end.

Epic scale are befit action games like Dark Souls or God of War, RPGs are at their best when you are doing tasks for local lord or adventuring after taking a job posting from the inn's notice board.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Just a quick FYI. I've just received a reply at the Steam forums concerning my issues with spells causing environmental hazards almost every time. Apparently, I am not the only one who doesn't want this DoS-like behavior, many (?) people have been railing at Larian about it for quite some time. There's reputedly already a mod removing spells' surface-lasting effects on GitHub.

Shrimp

Liturgist
Just a quick FYI. I've just received a reply at the Steam forums concerning my issues with spells causing environmental hazards almost every time. Apparently, I am not the only one who doesn't want this DoS-like behavior, many (?) people have been railing at Larian about it for quite some time. There's reputedly already a mod removing spells' surface-lasting effects on GitHub.
I thought this already had been patched out?
I've only played the first EA build from when the game came out in 2020, but I was certain that I had seen posts where people mentioned they quickly removed the surfaces left behind by spells. Did they only tone them down or did they only remove surface effects from cantrips or is it something else?

Gromoer

Educated
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I thought this already had been patched out?
I've only played the first EA build from when the game came out in 2020, but I was certain that I had seen posts where people mentioned they quickly removed the surfaces left behind by spells. Did they only tone them down or did they only remove surface effects from cantrips or is it something else?
They have removed surfaces caused by cantrips — obviously op stuff. Surfaces that are currently in game are either those that caused by barrels or some other preexisting spills I guess.
Imo barrels should be removed completely, except for very rare occasions where it feels natural.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire

How can I enjoy a game if my whole screen isn't on unholy blood fire at all times?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom