Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
I thought this already had been patched out?
I've only played the first EA build from when the game came out in 2020, but I was certain that I had seen posts where people mentioned they quickly removed the surfaces left behind by spells. Did they only tone them down or did they only remove surface effects from cantrips or is it something else?
They have removed surfaces caused by cantrips — obviously op stuff. Surfaces that are currently in game are either those that caused by barrels or some other preexisting spills I guess.
Imo barrels should be removed completely, except for very rare occasions where it feels natural.
From what I understand, only those surfaces caused by cantrips went. Most of elemental spells still cause it :( But if you prove the contrary, I'd be happy to hear it. Who knows how old are those gameplay videos on YT for real...

cpmartins

Cipher
I've only played the first EA build from when the game came out in 2020, but I was certain that I had seen posts where people mentioned they quickly removed the surfaces left behind by spells. Did they only tone them down or did they only remove surface effects from cantrips or is it something else?
They have removed surfaces caused by cantrips — obviously op stuff. Surfaces that are currently in game are either those that caused by barrels or some other preexisting spills I guess.
Imo barrels should be removed completely, except for very rare occasions where it feels natural.
From what I understand, only those surfaces caused by cantrips went. Most of elemental spells still cause it :( But if you prove the contrary, I'd be happy to hear it. Who knows how old are those gameplay videos on YT for real...
But is it in the 5e rules that they should cause environmental effects or not? I could see they letting it stay if it is.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
But is it in the 5e rules that they should cause environmental effects or not? I could see they letting it stay if it is.
No, this is pure Larian.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
No, this is pure Larian.

Is Larian bringing their elemental map painting to 5e?

:argh: :argh: :argh: :argh:

But more seriously, there are a number of spells in 5e that cause environmental effects, but they are relatively rare (especially at the level range of BG3's EA campaign). Having cantrips paint surfaces in fire or whatnot is hilarious, overpowered, and the most Larian thing I could think of. Does Eldritch Blast paint surfaces in force?

:smug:

I'm sure 5e purists are outraged, so it's a surprise they weren't removed earlier (like during internal testing).

Delterius

Arcane
I was assuming that people were just using cantrips to electrify water or whatever, not that cantrips all left a trail of flames wherever you pointed them at. Sure its a hold out from DiVOS. But its also the sort of environmental interaction that D&D RPGs always lack. Maybe your level 1 mage wouldn't have to sleep every fight if they could use their spells creatively. And don't get me started on martials being limited to auto attacks.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I was assuming that people were just using cantrips to electrify water or whatever, not that cantrips all left a trail of flames wherever you pointed them at. Sure its a hold out from DiVOS. But its also the sort of environmental interaction that D&D RPGs always lack. Maybe your level 1 mage wouldn't have to sleep every fight if they could use their spells creatively. And don't get me started on martials being limited to auto attacks.
I kind of agree and wouldn't mind interactions if it was that sort of creative casting, such as throwing a flask of oil and then using a fire spell to ignite it. As it was implemented though, they just created additional effects wherever you launched them, making cantrips REALLY good. It didn't feel D&Dish at all at that point.

Delterius

Arcane
I kind of agree and wouldn't mind interactions if it was that sort of creative casting, such as throwing a flask of oil and then using a fire spell to ignite it. As it was implemented though, they just created additional effects wherever you launched them, making cantrips REALLY good. It didn't feel D&Dish at all at that point.
Unfortunate then, yeah. Sven... DA:O had the grease+fire combo. Can the Belgian not compete with that?

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Is your computer ready for all this diversity? They thought the original system requirements were going to be lowered over time. Instead they raised them. It must be all those fancy shiny skin tones they added in to please the west.

MINIMUM:
Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
Processor: Intel I5 4690 / AMD FX 8350
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia GTX 970 / RX 480 (4GB+ of VRAM)
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 150 GB available space

RECOMMENDED:
Processor: Intel i7 8700K / AMD r5 3600
Memory: 16 GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia 2060 Super / RX 5700 XT (8GB+ of VRAM)
Storage: 150 GB available space

a18a4b2da7718c2b05f3885863d923538a175539.gif

Here are the old ones from 2020

MINIMUM:
Processor: Intel i5-4690 / AMD FX 4350
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia GTX 780 / AMD Radeon R9 280X
Storage: 70 GB available space

RECOMMENDED:
Processor: Intel i7 4770k / AMD Ryzen 5 1500X
Memory: 16 GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB / AMD RX580
Storage: 70 GB available space

A note from the steam announcement

A note on Minimum System Requirements
One last thing: Baldur's Gate 3's graphical fidelity and complexity has improved quite a bit as it's grown throughout Early Access. We've been keeping an eye on its minimum system requirements, and as the game nears release we've raised the minimum system requirements listed on Steam to better reflect the realities of the launch version.

Baldur's Gate 3 may be playable on systems below these minimum suggested specifications, but we believe this may hinder the player experience. Check our store page for the latest specs.

ferratilis

Magister
My specs are exactly the recommended ones, but tbh I never thought this game looked that good, even though it runs smooth at high settings. There is an issue with visual clarity, everything looks cluttered and it's hard to distinguish details, whether you're zoomed in or out. I might get blasted for saying this, but something like Pathfinder Kingmaker has so much more charm and nicer art style compared to this game. And the budgets are vastly different.

Ryzer

Arcane
You read it here first: BG3 will be better than BG1 on release and close to BG2, other RPGs (coming out) will be ridiculed in comparison.

Last edited:

coldaqua

Novice
The character creation sequence sure was odd. I noticed a few things upon closer inspection.

Black Elf - Body Type 2 - Identity Male
Black Tiefling - Body Type 1 - Identity Female
Puke Githyanki - Body Type 1 - Identity Female
Black Mixed Dwarf - Body Type 2 - Identity Male
The only black person in that sequence is the tiefling. The rest are tan, green, and brown respectively.

It looks like the villian of the game is an aged White man.
And three out of the five available companions helping the PC stop him are white.

Cael

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
You read it here first: BG3 will be better than BG1 on release and close to BG2, other RPGs (coming out) will be ridiculed in comparison.
It will never be as good as either because 5th Ed.
Yes but it will be turn based, so that compensates.
Turn based is a big fucking waste of time especially in retardedly long games like bugfinder: wokemaker

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Three people at Steam forums have responded that elemental spells don't create surfaces on their own at this moment (unless specifically designed that way). However, if there already is a surface effect, combinations occur, e.g., Blizzard freezing water, Fireball igniting webs, oils, greases, etc. I find that pretty okay.

FriendlyMerchant

The character creation sequence sure was odd. I noticed a few things upon closer inspection.

Black Elf - Body Type 2 - Identity Male
Black Tiefling - Body Type 1 - Identity Female
Puke Githyanki - Body Type 1 - Identity Female
Black Mixed Dwarf - Body Type 2 - Identity Male

Is Black and puke colored people their core audience? It looks like the villian of the game is an aged White man.

Timestamped

Lariantrannies. You kept saying this wasn't a tranny game like WotR. It's almost like we were right all along. What politically influenced leftwing material is there going to be next?

copebot

Learned
Imagine how many times that they have had to intensify the trannification content within this game purely because of its long development time. They've probably had to revise quite a lot to keep it up to date.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Character creation with full body customisation was a big mistake.
Bring back portraits and focus on attributes, skills and traits/backgrounds.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Has there even been a RPG that both liked?
A full one? Not sure. The only thing that came close was MOTB. So... there is a DLC. A full RPG? Probably not.

MotB is loved by combatfags and storyfags but is hated by "low level fags", the guys who believe that D&D should never be played above lv 3. RtWP haters also hate it.

Character creation with full body customisation was a big mistake.
Bring back portraits and focus on attributes, skills and traits/backgrounds.

This without considering mods. You can play as a minotaur in BG3 with mods

AGGMWJY.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom