Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

minsc has been the face of d&d in recent years, far more prevalent than drizzt actually. drizzt seems to be boomer stuff at this point tbh.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
When I said goty, I said in reference to game journo's goty. Of course, in codex, there are lots of great games who own goty. Anyway, this year I believe that in codex, the goty will be disputed between BG3 and Wh40k Rogue Trader. Two Turn Based games. The RtWP haters will gonna love it. At moment, with only the chapter 1 of this game and chapter 2 of RT, is hard to decide which one is the best.

Skorpion

Educated
When I said goty, I said in reference to game journo's goty. Of course, in codex, there are lots of great games who own goty. Anyway, this year I believe that in codex, the goty will be disputed between BG3 and Wh40k Rogue Trader. Two Turn Based games. The RtWP haters will gonna love it. At moment, with only the chapter 1 of this game and chapter 2 of RT, is hard to decide which one is the best.
Hate to break it to you but Rogue Trader is not coming out this year, if for some weird reason it does release it will be so broken and buggy it wont be in contention.
Dont get me wrong Ive sunk retarded amounts of time in both Owlcat games but lets be real.

Rhobar121

Scholar
Hate to break it to you but Rogue Trader is not coming out this year, if for some weird reason it does release it will be so broken and buggy it wont be in contention.
Sounds like standard Owlcat though.
To be fair wrath released decently, compared to kingmaker.
They just kept breaking things with each subsequent patch :shredder:
To do something more broken than Kingsmaker at premiere, they'd have to do it on purpose.
WotR was also broken at launch. I won't even mention the broken class functions. If a core game mechanic like respecialization was causing a gamebreaking bug, that says a lot about quality control.
Why try to test the game if they will buy it anyway.
Whoever buys a game from Owlcat at launch right now is an idiot.

ropetight

Savant
Sounds like standard Owlcat though.
To be fair wrath released decently, compared to kingmaker.
They just kept breaking things with each subsequent patch :shredder:
To do something more broken than Kingsmaker at premiere, they'd have to do it on purpose.
WotR was also broken at launch. I won't even mention the broken class functions. If a core game mechanic like respecialization was causing a gamebreaking bug, that says a lot about quality control.
Why try to test the game if they will buy it anyway.
Whoever buys a game from Owlcat at launch right now is an idiot.
To be honest, it is hard to trainwreck game with bugs like Kingmaker.
So they made special tools to test sequel, some kind of RPG automated tests.
Since I haven't played sequel and I haven't seen Owlcat's PatchProgressQuest for WotR, can't say if they reduced number of bugs.
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...starter-update-19-qa-automation-tools.131946/

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
minsc has been the face of d&d in recent years, far more prevalent than drizzt actually. drizzt seems to be boomer stuff at this point tbh.
Well Drizzt is actually still avidly being written, post time-skip, highly emphasized. Merely featuring Drizzt in the game really doesn't say much about Drizzt because he's being treated as his own franchise.

Again I emphasize they are writing Drizzt books RIGHT NOW.

So let's consider Drizzt's role in Neverwinter Online. Does he bring in profit due to being in the game? Only from the boomer stuff, nostalgia.

But consider how much $$$ WotC makes when treating Drizzt as a franchise - in fact, worse than his original Mary-Sueness. It makes more sense, then, that Drizzt's role in Neverwinter Online is an advertisement.

Another way of saying it... Larian may be somewhat own the means of production but it's WotC who is the true owner. WotC is the top manager and Larian manager's are more like middle-management, given the strength of the IP, as well as the financial resources WotC can use in court.

When Jaheira and Minsc were announced, the community made a collective sigh and went "yes, this is Baldur's Gate", even if it makes no sense at all to have them alive in the time frame of the third game.
Desperation kicking in to make Original Sin 3 at least remotely resemble Baldur's Gate...

Honestly, Larian should have just named the game Tales of Faggotry on the Sword Coast or something, but Swen just couldn't resist those nostalgia bucks.

Blutwurstritter

Learned
even if it makes no sense at all to have them alive in the time frame of the third game.
Blame 5E.
No. Blame marketing. Jaheira and Minsc bring in more attention and thus more $$$$. In other words... franchise icons matter more than reality.

Larian really should just be continuing its own games.
I agree and would have preferred getting the tactical-combat focused Divinity:Original Sin spin-off, Fallen Heroes, instead of a game that probably only has its name in common with its predecessors.

Rhobar121

Scholar
even if it makes no sense at all to have them alive in the time frame of the third game.
Blame 5E.
No. Blame marketing. Jaheira and Minsc bring in more attention and thus more $$$$. In other words... franchise icons matter more than reality.

I agree and would have preferred getting the tactical-combat focused Divinity:Original Sin spin-off, Fallen Heroes, instead of a game that probably only has its name in common with its predecessors.
As if that matters. Even if the game was named differently, you still wouldn't get a significantly different game.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Blame 5E.

As if that matters. Even if the game was named differently, you still wouldn't get a significantly different game.
Of course you would.

Larian owns its own Divinity games.
WotC owns Larian's Baldur's Gate 3.

Everything goes according to the top owner's motives. Note that WoTC level motives are to please shareholders. Which means, in this case, it's not good gameplay that matters, not good narrative that matters.

What matter are
  • cool graphics and cool animation that do not affect gameplay;
  • using nostalgia as advertisement;
  • injecting as much Forgotten Realms stuff as possible in order to support IP rights if taken to court,
    • not to mention cross-advertising other Forgotten Realms games/novels (like how Neverwinter Online features Minsc and Drizzt prominently)

Otherwise you get canned and the top owner finds a substitute. This goes for everything in life. It's why the MSM/corporate-world sucks - The owners of the MSM are entities like G.E., Comcast, AT&T, with most entities being subsidiaries. Same with Silicon Valley, Disney, any Fortune 500 company. All subsidiaries must fall into line otherwise they get replaced.

Welcome to oligopoly aka economic oligarchy.

Edit: This is, btw, an analysis of strategy.. And I love strategy and tactics. In other words, I'm describing what I would do if I were heading these companies. This isn't even an analysis of the market. This is pure strategy, and strategy depends on context.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Yes yes, it's all about the money. No agenda at all beyond making fat stacks.
It is not agenda......it is lifestyle.

il_570xN.3606898097_7eo8.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom