Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

There's achievements now but they seem to be just placeholders. Noticed it just now. Some have already been unlocked.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
So, we now know, Larian bots, have low expectations. The bar they set is from a 25 year old game made by a completely inexperienced game developer.
He said "the series always had a great array of companions", and that's clearly not true.

Baldur's Gate 2 had great companions, and a lot of them with a lot of dialog. It fleshed out the BG1 companions far beyond what the original did.

I don't look back on all the RPGs I've played and wish I could bring Shar-Teel or Branwen along, nor was I even the least bit upset over not bringing them over to BG2. It would have been better to see my choices in companions reflected in the sequel, but that doesn't mean that the characters weren't generic and barely serious half the time.

The difference in BG3 is obviously the difference in production cost between a bunch of text with the first line occasionally voiced and having an actor voice and/or mocap every line.

Of course, we all know this and we've known it's been this way for 10+ years now, but you're still gonna concern troll over it, so whatever.

It'd be like saying, "It's not gonna be realtime with pause! I'm really worried guise, the series always had such great combat!"

Oh wait, that's the other broken record you all won't shut up about.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Weird. I don't think I've brought up RT with pause kn this thread much if at all. I'm fine with tb. But your spam us proof. You have low standards for an expensive sequel to a 25 year old game made by inexperienced developers. Lmao

After bg1 bio realized that players wanted more from theur companions so they set out to give them that. But, you think it's acceptable if Larian does it bg1 style. Lmfao

Glop_dweller

Prophet
I prefer turn based mechanics—but not in BG or Planescape of course; those were RT/w pause games. That their sequels are not is unconscionable IMO. It's just as bad as Bethesda did with FO3. :argh:

That said, I don't dislike the mechanics that I saw in BG3, they look good—just not in a sequel to Baldur's Gate.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
I don't think I've
"You all". As in, as a group. English.

I hardly care enough about your individual gripes to track them per account.
I prefer turn based mechanics—but not in BG or Planescape of course; those were RT/w pause games. That their sequels are not is unconscionable IMO.
Case and point.
But, you think it's acceptable if Larian does it bg1 style. Lmfao
As I said, it was in reference to his post. I said nothing about BG1 style, which is a retarded argument, since BG1 didn't have anywhere near the NPC depth of BG3.

Last edited:

Jackpot

Learned
That said, I don't dislike the mechanics that I saw in BG3, they look good—just not in a sequel to Baldur's Gate.
Yeah, I was thinking while playing that this game makes more sense as a different property from Baldur's Gate. Keep the setting and mechanics, but don't link it with a game it clearly isn't super mechanically or narratively similar to.
Call it something stupid like "Dungeons and Dragons: Mind Over Matter" or some shit. But of course I know whatever suit greenlit this needed it to be associated with an existing property like everything has to nowadays.

And I mean, come on. A Baldur's Gate game without a large selection of companions or RTwP combat? That's as insulating as a Baldur's Gate game where you don't enter the city of Baldur's Gate!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Retartet to put someone in a group they don't actually belong in. Are you retartet? Yes, yes you retartet. Hence your retartet fanboy lackism over allowing Larian to have low standards.

Lol

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
You belong on the slow bus with the rest of the spergs concern trolling the thread. Nothing odd about saying that.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Says the guy who claims he's not edgy but every post is a lame attempt to be edgy. Lolz

Last edited:

Glop_dweller

Prophet
It's been months since I looked at the game's progress, but what I saw last year was a Dragon Age clone with grafted combat mechanics, sporting the famed Baldur's Gate IP name. Good cutscenes, with really out of place gameplay. A bit like combining Mortal Kombat with Farmville for branding sake.

Edit: [To put a visual on that... ]

MK-harvest.jpg

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's been months since I looked at the game's progress, but what I saw last year was a Dragon Age clone with grafted combat mechanics, sporting the famed Baldur's Gate IP name. Good cutscenes, with really out of place gameplay. A bit like combining Mortal Kombat with Farmville for branding sake.

MK-harvest.jpg
As we all know, Dragon's age is a turn based rpg.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
IE. Dragon Age Clone. ;)

_______
Addendum: Mechanical similarities with NPC / party selection, reconfiguration, with adapted D&D combat mechanics, relationships, and probable (possibly opinion altering) input from present companions during NPC conversations... essentially Dragon Age, though it was present to some extent in BG1&2. The presentation is more like Dragon Age.

Be honest, Larian's BG3 could pass for a Dragon Age title with sparse changes to the fiction only.

Just like Bethesda's FO3 is derrivitive of FOBOS; it could pass for a Brotherhood of Steel sequel in both fiction and partial gameplay.

Last edited:

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2

MK-harvest.jpg
As we all know, Dragon's age is a turn based rpg.

Yeah, and it's turn have passed.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
Wrong Its.
Also, if you mean TB gameplay is dated, or obsolete (??), it's simply a fact that TB and RT—and FPP, Isometric, top-down, ...etc... all of these seek to offer different gaming experiences; they don't compete, each can't best the other, as neither is better at any other's intended experience.

If it's the gaming experience that you —don't— like, then it's the wrong game for you, or a chance to experience the unfamiliar. In any case it is bad form to intentionally sour the experience of a franchise by stripping out its integral mechanics. Imagine Elderscrolls 6 if it played like Pillars of Eternity; would you seriously accept that as a valid sequel? Imagine if Diablo 6 played like King's Bounty or Might & Magic? Same fiction, same art, different mechanics... it will have lost a main draw of the series, and be a terrible sequel —no matter how good (or enjoyable) a game it might be.

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't think I've
"You all". As in, as a group. English.

I hardly care enough about your individual gripes to track them per account.
I prefer turn based mechanics—but not in BG or Planescape of course; those were RT/w pause games. That their sequels are not is unconscionable IMO.
Case and point.

If you're going to try and seem intelligent and also chide people for not using proper English, you should learn a bit yourself.

Here you go, consider it my PSA for the week: https://writingexplained.org/case-in-point-case-or-case-and-point

RTwP is (finally) dead pretty much every game that comes out as RTwP gets turn-based eventually.
More options are actually a good thing.

I have tried turn-based in Kingmaker and Wrath of the Righteous, but it is a complete waste of time IMO. I prefer trash mobs to go down quickly, anything else is sleep inducing, so I am happy that the games also have real-time combat.

I honestly don't think that Owlcat's next game will sell as well, because it is exclusively turn-based, and many gamers absolutely despise turn-based, but we shall see.

Last edited:

vitellus

the irascible
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Goldschmidt

Learned
You can have tactical in real time as well but that fact never enters the codex simple minds.

Just look at how the camera jumps from one node to the next: it makes me vomit. Neverwinter Nights has better production values than BG3!

Dont know why I am complaining. This game is targeted for 12 year olds and they will love it.

vitellus

the irascible
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
This game is targeted for 12 year olds and they will love it.
yeah, most of the codex is going to (if they haven't already) buy it and they're going to bitch and moan as they put 150 hours into it and enjoy it while they play it, virtue signaling and all. this whole thread tells me that.

vitellus

the irascible
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
i should also note that RTwP and TB is pretty much the same as whether you wipe your ass standing or sitting. there isn't enough arguing to change a mind on that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom