Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Mortmal

Arcane
Infinitron If I am wrong, I will sacrifice your left nut to Thor.
They will make an indie game of the year category just to give it some award, and even like that nothing is guaranteed as something super good can come out of nowhere. Else BG3 will win by far or starfield.

Modron

Arcane
Colony Ship will be GOTY, the contest is over second place.

a quality hardcore game played by few getting GOTY, when's the last time this happened on Codex?
They always seem to come in second and third to popular game number 4,327. Granted polls were open to the public and even if closed to just codexers they would suffer from too many zoomers zoom zooming around the place anyways.

Mortmal

Arcane
Guys GOTY is already going to be Tears of the Kingdom.
That would be the correct choice at this current juncture in time. I have a feeling that Codex will not allow it though, simply because Elden Ring won the last one. They wont stand for two jRPGs winning it two years in a row. My prediction is there will be a large pre-emptive backlash and the game will get disqualified from competing, on some sort of technical grounds like "it was never officially released on PC" or "it's not really a RPG". That is what will happen, and then either Baldur's Gate 3, Hogwarts Legacy, or possibly even Diablo 4 will win by default. Basically the 2020 presidential election all over again.
Tear of kingdom is for people who really love gameplay and video games, this is not for this place. Also there's always that weird stance ,set in stone, to not give awards to console games. Of course it makes no sense as everyone use their pc as a glorified consoles and many people here played zelda on emulator.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I guess people don't remember the GOTY 2015 ranking anymore? Iron Tower's games aren't just random hardcore indies, they're the closest thing there is to official Codex-branded RPGs. I'm sure that Colony Ship will be played by a very large percentage of the active userbase.

Delterius

Arcane
Is tears of the kingdom that different from breath of the wild? I've been playing Zelda since the SNES and still don't think the series really counts as RPG. Or even JRPG for that matter. They are Action/Adventure.

same as skyrim :troll:

Nintendo games' evaluation is overstated because Nintendo gamers have a sense of brand loyalty that borders zealotry. They only need the switch and are more than OK with it. It's likely that Switch people are only playing that system. So it's a cycle of Mario, Zelda, Fire Emblem, etc for every new system when it comes to them.

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
I guess people don't remember the GOTY 2015 ranking anymore? Iron Tower's games aren't just random hardcore indies, they're the closest thing there is to official Codex-branded RPGs. I'm sure that Colony Ship will be played by a very large percentage of the active userbase.
I remember well the day when the unwashed undertale, or whatever that croatian game is called, fans unfairly outnumbered the AoD loyalist and elected their game as the GOTY.

Colony Ship should be a mandatory purchase for any codexer, but it simply is not a better game than bg3, it is also much closer to it in form and structure than AoD was to any of the competition. Colony Ship is going to be a great game but AoD was one of a kind.

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
Like honestly, find me one person that played both of the EA versions and can form a coherent argument in what ways Colony Ship is the better RPG or in what ways it seems that the final version will be a better RPG.

Delterius

Arcane
'there was a baldurs gate 1 and 2??'

- the world, after august
Baldur's Gate is "that game my dad used to play when I was a kid" (i've seen such posts online), so I doubt it until you're really fond of posting "funny" baits online. It was a much bigger event than Fallout ever was.
i remember a glorious time when the codex hated baldur's gate as the second coming of diablo

but then we started believing BioWarian REVISIONISM about how the prequel to the spiritual successor to the spiritual predecessor of Baldur's Gate 3 was 'classical' and 'grognard'

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
a quality hardcore game played by few getting GOTY, when's the last time this happened on Codex?
They always seem to come in second and third to popular game number 4,327. Granted polls were open to the public and even if closed to just codexers they would suffer from too many zoomers zoom zooming around the place anyways.
This is an intrinsic property of the Bayesian rating system employed for the Codex's Game-of-the-Year rankings. A game with a higher average score but relatively few ratings will receive a larger adjustment toward the average, advantaging the games that are played by a large portion of voters and have a decent average rating. :M

Perkel

Arcane
Colony will not be GOTY. It's a toss up between Starfield and Baldur's Gate III. There are too few codexers that give a crap about Colony Ship.

If Ostranauts will get release this year it will sweep the floor with RPGcodex goty much like neoscavenger did back then. Playing EE version from time to time and it seems like it is really great stuff.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Sadly, the Codex feels very different than it was in 2015. I'd be surprised if Colony Ship wins, even though I suspect many of us will play it and justifiably enjoy the experience.

If I'm wrong though, I'll gladly sacrifice Abu Antar's left nut.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
1685686416670.png

I mean, unless Colony Ship wins, of course.

Scifi is meh. Once projectile weapons enter the equation, it's all the same unless you have LOS considerations. I will probably pick up Colony Ship a year after release if the hype endures. This thread is a huge pity party though.

While BG3 is not going to resemble my beloved franchise, it's still probable to be a good RPG. I'll look forward to PnP rebalancing mods, if critics are to be believed on Larian's tweaks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom