Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Drakortha

Liturgist
And a D/N cycle problem would't be only for NPC schedule/routine. Stealth at night, how certain monsters behave at night and so on, to do a proper D/N cycle, would require too much resources.
Why do you even call D/N cycles a "problem"? You lowered your standards.

Sure, maybe it's Larian's problem but it's not mine. I want D/N cycles. I don't care how they do it, just make it happen because I expect nothing less from a game calling itself Baldur's Gate. I'm not going to lower my standards because developers have decided to be a bunch of lazy fucks who don't want to crunch!

I'll get the whip myself if I have to! "You want to call yourself a developer? DEVELOP, BITCH!"

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
And a D/N cycle problem would't be only for NPC schedule/routine. Stealth at night, how certain monsters behave at night and so on, to do a proper D/N cycle, would require too much resources.
Why do you even call D/N cycles a "problem"? You lowered your standards.

Sure, maybe it's Larian's problem but it's not mine. I want D/N cycles. I don't care how they do it, just make it happen because I expect nothing less from a game calling itself Baldur's Gate. I'm not going to lower my standards because developers have decided to be a bunch of lazy fucks who don't want to crunch!

I'll get the whip myself if I have to! "You want to call yourself a developer? DEVELOP, BITCH!"
Nobody cares phaggot. We have night time in the camps

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
. I want D/N cycles.

And I want AD&D ruleset and a option to speed up animations so the combat can flow as quickly as Dark Sun : Shattered Lands + wake of the ravager. We can't have everything that we want.

t. We have night time in the camps

TBH the way that BG3 handles camping is a huge problem. You just teleport to camp and teleport back. What is the point of having "short rest" based classes like Warlock into the game?

zapotec

Liturgist
What happeend to the flaming fist? I bet one euro there will be a joke between a flaming fist and anal intercourse

Varnaan

Augur
I just finished a playthrough on the latest build and I have to say, the UI is fucking trash especially the character sheet and the level up screen.
Available feats are unclear, you autoselect a feat on level up and the button to switch is small and almost hidden, character sheet is unreadable and lacks proper display of information.
I don't know if it's BG3 specific or if 5E is like that since I haven't played D&D in more than a decade but still.

Also inventory management.
I tried to play it like Ultima with bags and boxes but it was a nightmare.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
I just finished a playthrough on the latest build and I have to say, the UI is fucking trash especially the character sheet and the level up screen.
Available feats are unclear, you autoselect a feat on level up and the button to switch is small and almost hidden, character sheet is unreadable and lacks proper display of information.
I don't know if it's BG3 specific or if 5E is like that since I haven't played D&D in more than a decade but still.

Also inventory management.
I tried to play it like Ultima with bags and boxes but it was a nightmare.
Get glasses grandpa

Kem0sabe

Arcane
If all of the city they featured in pics is an open world, that's truly impressive, especially if they fill it with content. I hate their writing in previous games, and their companions in this one are some of the worst and most detestable I have seen in an rpg, but on the technical side this is one the most ambitious AAA releases in the last few years.
d2f2764b4bafed343e8886ea668c7083.gif

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Well, Swen whined about day and night having to have some profound differences, gameplay wise.

But what if... a game called Baldur's Gate actually confined itself to Baldur's Gate?

:philosoraptor:
Larian don't want to have day-night cycles that are purely cosmetic and don't want to invest the time and effort necessary for every NPC in the game to have a daily schedule with their own bed etc. It's simply not something they want to prioritize at the cost of other things.

I know. But those 'other things' might not have priority if the game was entirely set in the city, that's my point.

Varnaan

Augur
Why would they do that though ?
Baldur's Gate is maybe 30% of BG1 at most and 0% of BG2.

Idk, novelty? :lol: Literalness/ honesty in advertising? Having the guts to make an RPG with a very distinct setting and gameplay? The last proper RPG set entirely in one city was Realms of Arkania 3 AFAIK
Well from what we've seen with their recent devpost the city itself seems to be a pretty huge part of the game.
I think it's better to have varied environments in that kind of games especially considering Baldur's Gate is not a very interesting city in the first place.
Would be another story if they made a Waterdeep game or even Menzoberranzan. But I guess the stigma is still too strong.

scytheavatar

Scholar
Why would they do that though ?
Baldur's Gate is maybe 30% of BG1 at most and 0% of BG2.

Idk, novelty? :lol: Literalness/ honesty in advertising? Having the guts to make an RPG with a very distinct setting and gameplay? The last proper RPG set entirely in one city was Realms of Arkania 3 AFAIK

The entire Realms of Arkania series is aimed at hardcore RPers, the ones who care more about learning dancing or becoming a jester than combat. A game set completely in a city will probably be aimed at the same audience and will be difficult to sell to the wider audience who cares mostly about combat.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
honesty in advertising
Are you saying Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2 dishonestly advertised themselves, because they weren't entirely set in the city of Baldur's Gate?
Maybe Legend of Zelda also dishonestly advertises itself, since you don't actually play as Zelda most of the time.

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
…especially considering Baldur's Gate is not a very interesting city in the first place.
Would be another story if they made a Waterdeep game or even Menzoberranzan. But I guess the stigma is still too strong.

I have never understood why anyone would be interested in Waterdeep. Always seemed to be a colorless, tasteless Mary Sue city.
At least Baldur’s Gate or Athkatla weren’t that. If you want something ~different~, Zhentil Keep would be cool.

scytheavatar

Scholar
…especially considering Baldur's Gate is not a very interesting city in the first place.

I have never understood why anyone would be interested in Waterdeep. Always seemed to be a colorless, tasteless Mary Sue city.
At least Baldur’s Gate or Athkatla weren’t that. If you want something ~different~, Zhentil Keep would be cool.

Waterdeep is supposed to be a very corrupt but safe city, it will be difficult to make a game set completely in Waterdeep interesting in a CRPG environment. While Baldur’s Gate is the most interesting city because it is one where it is functionally no different from a wilderness. Where you can get stabbed walking down the streets.

Varnaan

Augur

Waterdeep has (Descent to) Undermountain and Waterdhavian creatures.

La vie sexuelle

Learned

Waterdeep is supposed to be a very corrupt but safe city, it will be difficult to make a game set completely in Waterdeep interesting in a CRPG environment. While Baldur’s Gate is the most interesting city because it is one where it is functionally no different from a wilderness. Where you can get stabbed walking down the streets.
It was. Now it's a place when your children could play safe.

Last edited:
Waterdeep used to be a setting in many D&D related stuff back in the day, mostly to exploit its path into the Underdark and those evil, terrible, extremely sexy drow priestess.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom