Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
I wonder if you can change companions attributes after recruiting there are few awful distributions (class and stuff would most likely require mod)
oh well I have read too much wiki figuring out builds going to chill now until there is more information
none of the companions looked too interesting to me so most likely going to go with custom party but going to test em out anyway

11 devotion paladin / 1 fiend warlock
6-9 devotion paladin / 2-3 fighter / 1-3 fiend
1 level dip to warlock looks very good for dark one's blessing, need to see spell list + invocations before deciding which level warlock to get

11 moon druid / 1 monk
melee potential, 6th level spells and dip for unarmored defense + martial arts (no idea if arts work with wild shape might depend on beast)
might be trash build since needs lvl 18 for casting while wild shaped

11 lore bard / 1 life cleric
10 lore bard / 2 the great old one warlock
full caster 6th level spells, cleric dip for disciple of life + medium/heavy armor, shield and other proficiencies
or 5th level spells + agonizing blast. if resting is not much limited I would think 1 cleric is better than 2 warlock

12 evocation/abjuration/necromancy wizard or 11 wizard / 1 x for final level need to see if something would be useful after playing
don't remember last game where pure wizard was a bad choice

looks pretty good, 3 chars able to cast 6th level spells and 2 chars should be decent enough for melee / tanking
no high level cleric spells but lore bard can pick any up to 5th level with magical secrets

Gargaune

Arcane
Day Night cycles mattered more in BG2 than 1, but it's still something pretty negligible I'd say. It doesn't do more than changing the filter and moving some npcs around. Rest spamming is more of a problem, and at least they are limiting this somewhat in 3.
It does a freaking ton, I'd say.
Even in absence of complex, Ultima-like NPC scheduling, the day/night cycle in BG can enhance the experience significantly:

- it maintain the illusion of the fictional world being a simulated and persistent environment.
- it offers cosmetic variety
- it creates occasions for differentiating factors even in already-explored areas, through a rotation of population/potential encounters (i.e. day-exclusive or night-exclusive monsters).
- it opens to context-exclusive scenarios
- it sets the mood for certain scenes and encounters

Random example: Imagine roaming the streets of the city stuck in a permanent noon and contrast it with having the option to navigate both its crowded market during the day and its dark alleys during the night, or seeing street lights being turned on at dusk as it gets darker gradually, etc, etc..
You forgot a big one - interplay with stealth mechanics. Light-based visibility is pretty well fleshed out in BG3, both for the players and NPCs, a dynamic day/night cycle could've provided some very interesting tactical choices. It's a missed opportunity.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
it is a 2e game with no skill checks and barely any choices in it.
There were a ton of choices, just not ones that altered anything significant in terms of quests. And only a few resulting from your actual stats.

But BG3 has much more freedom than BG1 or 2. Especially in terms of linear plot structure.

In terms of linearity BG1 was probably the least linear since most of the maps could be found by exploring, but a lot of the maps outside of the city were just assorted combat encounters. The overall plot was very linear:

Candlekeep > Nashkel > Nashkel Mines > Bandit Camp > Cloakwood Mines > City > Candlekeep > Endgame

You could never deviate from this exact path. You could only do side-quests in between. Your choices during all of this are mainly who gets to come along and what reputation you'll have. BG2 was similar.

However, in B3's first act, it actually seems less linear:

Nautiloid > Beach > Choice of which of two camps to side with, with questlines for each, or ignore both and head straight for the Underdark > Underdark (multiple ways to get here) > End of first act

But I do understand the *feeling* SpoonFULL seems to speak of. And I kind of agree. It does *feel* less like it's my own game with my own choices. I do feel led around more.

And I think the reason for this is simply that there's more narrative. More cinematics. More of having everything explained. Encounters that clearly were designed with different ways around them - e.g., the giant spider encounter where you can knock the spiders off their webs.

It's harder for the player to fill in the gaps with their imagination when there's less to imagine.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
In the original BGs it felt that you are making your own decisions
Yeah. It *felt* like it. But it wasn't. BG I and II are a lot of smoke and mirrors. Take your nostalgia glasses off, and you'll see it.

Also... about the day/night cycles: they matter in the sense that there are some vendors out during the day, some others during the night. Other than that, it's just the random encounters with Bodhi's vampires that really make night time a factor.

The BG games are fun. And a big name. But they are neither the masterpieces nostalgia goggles make them out to be. (and, potentially for any haters, they're neither complete shit; because it takes some skill to maneuver the smoke and mirrors)

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Also... about the day/night cycles: they matter in the sense that there are some vendors out during the day, some others during the night. Other than that, it's just the random encounters with Bodhi's vampires that really make night time a factor.

Also impact some side quests; Mainly in ch2. But I agree that D/N cycle could have better implemented into the game. One mod for BG2, the "shadow magic" mod which adds shadow adepts into the game, has the charname shadow adept losing caster levels, casting speed and other important variables while exposed to sunlight. His summoned shades also are weaker at sunlight.

But look to Pathfinder Kingmaker/WoTR, not only has D/N cycle but also seasons. with snow at the winter among other things.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Have the companions found a reliable laxative yet?
They were dumbed down into being more likeable a long time ago, if that's what you mean.

Especially Shadowheart, who now has a literal button in the tutorial to make her like the player right away instead of actually having to work to earn her trust.

I will give the team points for not making her a complete slutbag like Aerie, Jaheira or Viconia, even though I'm sure there are many that would prefer them.

Last edited:

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Why not just multiclass as warlock/sorc then? It's one of the best 5e combos.
Why would that be any good?

Seriously I have no idea.
Agonising blast and a sorcerer's spell progression and metamagic. In 5e at least it also allowed cheese such as converting your warlock spells into sorcery points, then short resting for more sorcery points.
I guess, but is it really worth it when you'll be 2 levels behind the Sorcerer's spell progression and metamagic? Plus your blast will always be just 1 beam.
Caster level isn't really a thing in 5e. You will get two beams as a warlock 2/ sorc 3

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Eldritch Blast in 5e goes by player level, not class or anything else.

A beam of crackling energy streaks toward a creature within range. Make a ranged spell attack against the target. On a hit, the target takes 1d10 force damage.

At Higher Levels. The spell creates more than one beam when you reach higher levels: two beams at 5th level, three beams at 11th level, and four beams at 17th level. You can direct the beams at the same target or at different ones. Make a separate attack roll for each beam.

With agonizing blast and the other add-ons, it is one of the best, if not the best, no-resource ranged attacks in the game.

Reinhardt

Arcane
That is not hard. You just make them dependent upon credit and make demands each day higher demands for maintaining their credit flow. That way you gradually build economical and political influence. After a couple of years, you can buy nobility titles.
or you can just sell titles right away along with firewine bridge.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Faery Tale Adventure already had a day/night cycle in a 2D Open World RPG created in 1986, and a decade later Daggerfall had a day/night cycle in a 3D Open World RPG. The onset of night in Faery Tale Adventure generated semi-realistic darkness (which could be altered by a particular magic item, but these were consumable and only lasted for a limited amount of time) and therefore posed a logistical issue for the player, who would attempt to complete any long journeys before nightfall. Daggerfall had schedules for shops, which would close at certain times, and the city of Daggerfall itself was haunted at night by the ghost of Lysandus.

Immersion is a major aspect of any Open World game, and, even without any gameplay effects, a day/night cycle provides a degree of realism, whereas any sense of immersion is ruined with an unchanging time of day. Aesthetics can also be enhanced from the lighting changes that follow the day/night cycle.

Furthermore, there are various minor changes in content or game mechanics that can accompany a day/night cycle and contribute to its value. Dragon's Dogma, for example, has more-dangerous undead enemies appear at night, giving the player a reason to try to avoid journeying at night, perhaps finding a rare resting place to await the morning. A game with turn-based combat might give players penalties to combat to-hit rolls at night, while many enemies might conversely be penalized for fighting in bright light.

4M1Dsfh.jpg

8utYSx5.jpg

xCK4nUI.jpg

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
I think the reason for the lack of a day/night cycle is more for narrative purposes. They want players to go back to camp, since that's where a lot of events take place. And they probably also did it to make certain scenes easier to animate and script.

BG3 isn't the first game to try this approach. Look back to the Dragon Age games. They did something similar.

It's easy to script encounters that occur anywhere in a top-down, 2d game. All you need is to have a character walk in from offscreen, fade to black, whatever. It's harder in a 3D game with cinematics, campfires etc. You end up with scenes where characters clip through walls.

Not that it's impossible. But I'm sure the devs had to figure out where they wanted to spend their time early on.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
how easy it is to start most of combat encounters with surprise round? with multiclassing you can get some silly stuff

ydd7f9g.png

would need 3 rogue 5 ranger 2 fighter

only works for first turn but all that bonus dmg + crit dmg maybe throw in hunter's mark too for 6 attacks + there might be some feats that give more extra attacks

also is every hit made from hide counted as surprise? other than first turn still getting 1 crit + 1 extra attack for turn 2 or later turns does not sound too bad.
When later editions of D&D start coming up with these pseudo-simulationist "take your modifier for a totally unrelated attribute" abilities, it's really pathetic.

Gargaune

Arcane
I think the reason for the lack of a day/night cycle is more for narrative purposes. They want players to go back to camp, since that's where a lot of events take place.
Dynamic day/night doesn't present an impediment to Larian's camping mechanic, you can have time flow and still teleport players back to their abstract camp to rest. It's just expediency in their DOS formula, Larian don't want to spend time on dynamic light and complex NPC schedules, nor do they like the presentation of NPCs that ignore day/night, so they just booted the clock from the game, made the levels time-locked. Unfortunately.

And they probably also did it to make certain scenes easier to animate and script.
Yes, the abstract camp is probably designed as a cinematic stage first and foremost, though I'm not happy with the tradeoff, personally. I'd have rather had simpler cinematics and a dynamic camp you'd set down in the "real" levels (kinda like Kingmaker, a physical object with a radius that you have to place in clear space, it can have animation waypoints within). But I'm guessing that a large part of the target demo cares more about having privacy for their candle-lit picnic with the goblin chick.

BG3 isn't the first game to try this approach. Look back to the Dragon Age games. They did something similar.
Yeah, and they got plenty of flack for it.

You forgot a big one - interplay with stealth mechanics.
Oh, and I also forgot one - spell durations. Because of BG3's lack of dynamic time, spells with long duration have to be extended to until rest.

Rhobar121

Scholar
Cutscenes anywhere would end very badly. You'd end up with weird camera angles and overlapping objects. The current version is much better.

Dynamic day/night doesn't present an impediment to Larian's camping mechanic, you can have time flow and still teleport players back to their abstract camp to rest. It's just expediency in their DOS formula, Larian don't want to spend time on dynamic light and complex NPC schedules, nor do they like the presentation of NPCs that ignore day/night, so they just booted the clock from the game, made the levels time-locked. Unfortunately.
Not to mention the instanced camping mechanic is ALSO a bad idea on itself and a more contextual system would have been lightyears better.

Cutscenes anywhere would end very badly. You'd end up with weird camera angles and overlapping objects. The current version is much better.
"Contextual cutscenes" (where the important part is the relative position of characters to each other and just having enough free space around) is an already old and consolidated trick in the industry.
They are using it themselves to a limited degree. They just had to make sure that the spots on the map where resting was possible were designed with that in mind.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Dynamic day/night doesn't present an impediment to Larian's camping mechanic, you can have time flow and still teleport players back to their abstract camp to rest.
Except you would lose the time mechanic of the game. Days are tracked. It's not BG where you can spam rest and the date is just a meaningless count. They wanted each day and each rest to progress an event timer. A short one.

Can't do that when some fake ass day/night cycle is running every hour or two.

It's just expediency in their DOS formula, Larian don't want to spend time on dynamic light and complex NPC schedules
Complex NPC schedules? Do you think BG had these? Only Athkatla and Trademeet had anything like this, and they just cleared the filler NPCs off the streets at night. There were no schedules where they each walked into their houses or anything.

Or do you want Skyrim and not BG?
Yes, the abstract camp is probably designed as a cinematic stage first and foremost, though I'm not happy with the tradeoff, personally. I'd have rather had simpler cinematics and a dynamic camp you'd set down in the "real" levels (kinda like Kingmaker, a physical object with a radius that you have to place in clear space, it can have animation waypoints within).
Again, this doesn't work. You could easily have world objects interfere with the scene in a cinematic game. Just being in a walled corridor could do this.

Kingmaker has no cinematic dialog or animations. It's all abstraction. It might as well be 2d.
Yeah, and they got plenty of flack for it.
From who? Here? :lol:

Imagine them not being faithful to Baldur's Gate when making a Dragon Age game.
Oh, and I also forgot one - spell durations. Because of BG3's lack of dynamic time, spells with long duration have to be extended to until rest.
I doubt the difference between mage armor lasting 8 hours and it lasting until the next day will matter to most people.

When you're making a game, you have to choose what's more important. Day/night cycles, which are cosmetic in these games and would interfere with their planned narrative, got the axe. Oh well.

There are several things I'm not happy about with this game, but this isn't one. It's just nitpicking at this point.

Last edited:

Anomander

Scholar
Day/night cycle was always only bothering me. Who cares about that. I want to go to shops/houses anytime I want. Making me wait for day (rest until sunrise) was always inconvenient. I want to play a game, not simulate life.

Delterius

Arcane
Your choices during all of this are mainly who gets to come along and what reputation you'll have.
that is literally nothing to be quite honest

yes the ability to tackle side quests in a given order gives you the illusion of ownership. but you yourself said that the game does not design for actual choices, and has no consequences in it. yet the term 'choice and consequence' was used in the original argument.

the fact that you're even using reputation is quite telling. baldur's gate is famous for not really supporting an evil party narratively. or in its mechanics. you can't be evil with a good PR because the evil companions will quit you. your choice is wether you have to manage edwin's stupidity, or if you just roll with minsc, get heroic reputation, and is generally richer than an evil person.

the original argument is that larian ignored the 'strong foundation' of baldur's gate and went instead for a 'cinematic experience'. the point is that all the actual strengths of baldur's gate are ignored or misrepresented in favor of a fallout's gate that never existed. the very idea that baldur's gate had 'strong writing' is the most basic bitch wrong opinion out there. yes. you had a stronger sense of ownership with baldur's gate than probably dragon age: origins. but that is only because you subscribe to the todd howard school of player freedom.

that's not a bad thing either. even though i despise skyrim, i still like morrowind. but to say that being able to do the brage quest before or after chapter 3 is somehow superior than handcrafted scenarios with multiple character, skill, and exploration based scenarios with reactivity flowing thereafter is insane, imo.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Thieving bastards like me?
This is a valid point. I will admit thief characters lost out here. Though they lost out on cosmetics. There wasn't much of a nay/night cycle for any NPC.

Thief quests may have been cooler at night, but there were very few of them, and most of them could have been done during the day just as well.

I think the main exceptions to that were that one Talos priest that slept during the night in BG2, and one or two of the thieves guild quests in BG1.

3 quests vs hours spent on fiddling with some rest system and breaking the plot where each day supposedly progresses your transformation in one way or another.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom