Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

MerchantKing

Learned
Sounds like yet another thing that's not in tabletop. Yet another feature to list as an abomination.
It's OBVIOUSLY something that can't be "from tabletop" since one one plays tabletop RPGs "real time".
I agree. Exploration and everything else should be turn based too.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
crazy multiclass chains of late-3.5E and Pathfinders.

The problem with multiclassing in 3.XE is that it makes no sense.

If I'm DMing a game and one of my players is a fighter and wanna to get a level in cleric, he MUST join a Church, convert to a God(if he doesn't have one), pass some religion skill check and only after a small personal campaign(which can be made "offscreen" or not) and so on. In video games this is even worse, you can become a Red Wizard of Thay in NwN2 while spending your entire life in Neverwinter. Imagine becoming a "magical baron" of a empire which you never visited.

I’m generally not a fan of any “piecemeal” multiclassing system that let you pick a bit of this and a bit of that.

For all its shortcomings in other areas I think that’s an aspect that Pillars of Eternity II managed better than most.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Most multi-classing in PF is actively bad. The hybrids were designed to obviate the need for multi-classing in the first place. Probably should have simply eliminated it.

Day Night cycles mattered more in BG2 than 1, but it's still something pretty negligible I'd say. It doesn't do more than changing the filter and moving some npcs around. Rest spamming is more of a problem, and at least they are limiting this somewhat in 3.

Delterius

Arcane
The Holy Mission of Sven Vicke is to bring the lost technology of turn based combat back to D&D. It is only fair that God, in their infinite wisdom, chose to reserve the art of NPC Schedules to Todd Howard. Balance in All Things.

Day Night cycles mattered more in BG2 than 1, but it's still something pretty negligible I'd say. It doesn't do more than changing the filter and moving some npcs around. Rest spamming is more of a problem, and at least they are limiting this somewhat in 3.
It does a freaking ton, I'd say.
Even in absence of complex, Ultima-like NPC scheduling, the day/night cycle in BG can enhance the experience significantly:

- it maintain the illusion of the fictional world being a simulated and persistent environment.
- it offers cosmetic variety
- it creates occasions for differentiating factors even in already-explored areas, through a rotation of population/potential encounters (i.e. day-exclusive or night-exclusive monsters).
- it opens to context-exclusive scenarios
- it sets the mood for certain scenes and encounters

Random example: Imagine roaming the streets of the city stuck in a permanent noon and contrast it with having the option to navigate both its crowded market during the day and its dark alleys during the night, or seeing street lights being turned on at dusk as it gets darker gradually, etc, etc..

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
how easy it is to start most of combat encounters with surprise round?
Not too hard (currently) in the game and in general "first-round only" abilities aren't too shabby because you'll typically spend two or three rounds for combat at most, outside of the most challenging ones.

That said, from what I've heard assassins aren't considered particularly good as a subclass.
Assassins are not that strong in tabletop play because it's hard to reliably surprise anyone, but in a game like BG3 where the player can usually see enemies on the screen before they detect the PCs, assassins should be quite powerful.

That said, a lot of the harder encounters will probably be set piece fights that start with some forced dialogue, so optimizing for surprise means that you're super strong in encounters that are already easy, while your build doesn't help much in the tougher challenges.

Cohesion

Augur
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
crazy multiclass chains of late-3.5E and Pathfinders.

The problem with multiclassing in 3.XE is that it makes no sense.

If I'm DMing a game and one of my players is a fighter and wanna to get a level in cleric, he MUST join a Church, convert to a God(if he doesn't have one), pass some religion skill check and only after a small personal campaign(which can be made "offscreen" or not) and so on. In video games this is even worse, you can become a Red Wizard of Thay in NwN2 while spending your entire life in Neverwinter. Imagine becoming a "magical baron" of a empire which you never visited.

How many games did you DM? Just curious.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
a guild secret.

That is not hard. You just make them dependent upon credit and make demands each day higher demands for maintaining their credit flow. That way you gradually build economical and political influence. After a couple of years, you can buy nobility titles.

One OSR game after my DM leaved the group in internet. And during high school, my group played with a DM rotation as no one wanted to be the DM. As expected, it ended being a crazy adventure.

Assassins are not that strong in tabletop play because it's hard to reliably surprise anyone, but in a game like BG3 where the player can usually see enemies on the screen before they detect the PCs, assassins should be quite powerful.

But this applies to almost every class. Enchanting in games where you can quick save and quick load is much more powerful than in tabletop or in a roguelike.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
a guild secret.

That is not hard. You just make them dependent upon credit and make demands each day higher demands for maintaining their credit flow. That way you gradually build economical and political influence. After a couple of years, you can buy nobility titles.

One OSR game after my DM leaved the group in internet. And during high school, my group played with a DM rotation as no one wanted to be the DM. As expected, it ended being a crazy adventure.

But this applies to almost every class. Enchanting in games where you can quick save and quick load is much more powerful than in tabletop or in a roguelike.

If you choose to abuse it. Tinman (and designing for it) is always an option, or Ironman for those with a lot of time in their hands.

SpoonFULL

Educated
Does it have weather at least, or is that location-based?
As far as EA was concerned, I didn't see "weather" in any form. Location-based OR dynamic.
So instead of embracing the strengths of the original BGs and building on this strong foundation, Larian decided to go for the 'cinematic experience' and dumped features that would have enhanced and expanded the core gameplay!

But worry not, if you buy the game now, you get the delux edition with D:OS goodies!

Delterius

Arcane
strengths of the original BGs
really

the bgs barely had npc schedules. weather there was raining, which means that as easter egg you sometimes get hit by lightning.

oh yeah there's like a quest where an npc goes to sleep and you can steal from them unopposed.

woopidedoo

It's not the 'strong foundation' of BG that makes NPC schedules an interesting consideration for development. It's all the advantages for immersion that they might add. And even so not all good RPGs have them. It's clear to me that BG3's focus is on reactivity, which is a good thing. If night/day cycles were sacrificed for it, and the reactivity is good enough (it certainly seems to be), so be it.

Not every RPG has to be Oblivion.

SpoonFULL

Educated
By strengths I was not only referring to day and night cycles and npc scheduling - even though there is huge potential to build on these as previously mentioned. The other strengths that I consider is the writing, story telling, choices and consequences, and the ability to tackle quests in any order and through a variety of approaches.

In the original BGs it felt that you are making your own decisions, paths and stories through the narrative and these also changed dynamically through your decisions and builds - the player have almost total control over that. If the gameplay sometimes become boring, the narrative and interesting stories carries the player forward.

In the original BGs it felt that you are making your own decisions
You mean, just like when both of the companion pairs constantly push you to do as you are supposed to, or when kicking them out of the party meaning both of them will leave, or if you don't do their quests in time they'll leave as well?
And in BG2 you kinda have arrows pointing at the directions you should go, but that game is linear, so it doesn't really hurt.

Delterius

Arcane
In the original BGs it felt that you are making your own decisions, paths and stories through the narrative and these also changed dynamically through your decisions and builds
it is a 2e game with no skill checks and barely any choices in it. its the ruleset where character building is what weapon you'll use throught the trilogy and why its the flail of ages with belm.

fucking choices and consequences. really. what the fuck this isn't fallout.

baldur's gate 1 and 2 have strengths, no doubt. comfy explorations in the first, mage duels/beastiary/environmental variety in the second. the games are also pretty and the 2e ruleset is a novelty unto itself. but this renown for their writing is a bioware marketing construct. its nonsense. its the minsc game where jaheira starts thinking of fucking her friend's foster kid 20 minutes after her husbands tragic and horrifying death. the story is serviceable, its not a pearl of the genre.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom