Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Larianshill

Arbiter
Am I missing something or insist 1-3 level dip into fighter about the best dip there is from all the classes (monk not being the king of dips anymore)
Thou shalt not sacrifice spell progression. Also, monk was never the king of dips. Once you're level 17, sure, go for a fighter dip if you want action surge*, but before that you want higher level spells and more spellslots. Always.

* - that trick won't work in OneDnD

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
Am I missing something or insist 1-3 level dip into fighter about the best dip there is from all the classes (monk not being the king of dips anymore)
Thou shalt not sacrifice spell progression. Also, monk was never the king of dips. Once you're level 17, sure, go for a fighter dip if you want action surge*, but before that you want higher level spells and more spellslots. Always.

* - that trick won't work in OneDnD
yeah as I mentioned "casters require lvl 11 for 6th level spells cant get it for those" so only for characters that don't mind losing spell progression too much.
also because of 6th level requiring lvl 11 it makes cleric and paladin pretty tempting dips too since both of those unlock domain/oath first level (wiki says oath unlocks lvl 3 so this seems to be different in bg3) but then this might delay spell progression
berserker's frenzy is another good looking option (if again resting is not an issue) for extra attack for lvl 3 dip.

oh well its probably better for me to figure these things out when you can see higher level class progressions for bg3. I would prefer not to look any meta fuckness for 5e just read some basic stuff about classes

Delterius

Arcane
Agonizing Blast seems cool as a Warlock because it will eventually become 2(d10+5) and it continues scaling after, but why would a sorcerer sacrifice spell progression for 1d10+5? the campaign ends at level 12. if you multiclass you won't get to use level 6 spells at all.

if anything, i'm rather excited to play a spontaneous caster with spell progression equal to that of a wizard.

my overall impression is that 5e is much less multiclass intensive than pathfinder or 3e but i might be wrong.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Friendly reminder that Solasta, a game that's more of a 5e combat simulator than a narrative focused RPG, manages to solve this by having the entire party participate in dialogue.

Of course it's infinitely easier to implement in a game where the dialogue and RP isn't a major focus, but considering the budget and amount of employees Larian has at their disposal I really don't think it's too much to ask. I doubt they'll surprise us with something similar to the attached picture but a man can dream. It only really reinforces the sentiment towards the game I expressed a couple of pages ago:
That's more or less where I'm at as well. I never really had any doubts that the finalised game would be good, but at the same time I fully expect my playthrough to be full of game mechanic induced headaches and various events that leave me thinking 'this could have been so much better if they had done X instead'

Solasta's dialogues, and generally art department, are awful. This game is proof that approach à la "cRPG is only good when slavishly imitate tabletop combat and ignore every artistic aspect" is dumb.

Probably why Bioware decided to branch off from D&D to Dragon Age. Then they wouldn't have to deal with the lore and rules lawyers and their whiny-ass bitching lol.

Imagine Bioware game with Solasta graphic and dialogue sensitivity.

20201021113323_1.jpg

Shrimp

Liturgist
It's worth noting that although we know the level cap is 12 we have no idea at which stage of the game we'll reach it.
If the rest of the game is as generous as the first area when it comes to handing out experience you'll probably reach it fairly quickly, but what if the XP gain from various sources slows down and you only reach level 12 shortly before the final showdown?

It's worth noting that although we know the level cap is 12 we have no idea at which stage of the game we'll reach it.
If the rest of the game is as generous as the first area when it comes to handing out experience you'll probably reach it fairly quickly, but what if the XP gain from various sources slows down and you only reach level 12 shortly before the final showdown?
At the beginning of EA, levels were really hard to come by. I think they did it so you could earn levels faster during EA because they wanted to test things. It's possible that they will revert to the original xp tables for the release version, but who knows.

Voids

Augur
on a fighter/rogue is it worth it to go to fighter 5 for the extra attack and miss out on the rogue 8 ability score improvement?

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
on a fighter/rogue is it worth it to go to fighter 5 for the extra attack and miss out on the rogue 8 ability score improvement?
I'd rather go with Fighter-6/Rogue-6, this way you'll get 3 stat/feats (F4/F6/R4 - as many as most pure classes) and will only miss on 1d6 of sneak attack compared to Rogue-8, but you'll get an extra attack from 5th level of the Fighter, wich will certainly give you more damage output then the missed d6.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Agonising blast and a sorcerer's spell progression and metamagic. In 5e at least it also allowed cheese such as converting your warlock spells into sorcery points, then short resting for more sorcery points.
I guess, but is it really worth it when you'll be 2 levels behind the Sorcerer's spell progression and metamagic? Plus your blast will always be just 1 beam.
Cantrips are one of the few things in 5e that scale with character level, so our warlock 2/Sorcerer 10 12th level character will have 3 beams on his eldritch blast, and can cast it twice per round with sorcerer metamagic, for a potential total of 6d10+30 (+6d6 from hex if you hexed the target in a previous round)

You're giving up spell progression, sure, but for straight single-target damage it's a very strong build.

jungl

Augur
I like how after so many editions the class balance is shit in dnd from what I remember in Solasta hard to go wrong with fighter their extra action is op.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
I like how after so many editions the class balance is shit in dnd from what I remember in Solasta hard to go wrong with fighter their extra action is op.
In 5E they tried their best to make pure classes more attractive and get away from the crazy multiclass chains of late-3.5E and Pathfinders.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
In 5E they tried their best to make pure classes more attractive and get away from the crazy multiclass chains of late-3.5E and Pathfinders.
For D&DNext (5.5E) they're trying to iterate further on it by making the 20th level abilities even more attractive (with varying results).

I personally think they should revise how multiclassing has worked since 3rd edition. It's always been prone to ridiculous builds and I personally still prefer the 2nd edition multiclass/dual class system way more.

Reinhardt

Arcane
I see only one explanation for why would you believe that anyone willing to commit a crime - murder for money - is not evil.
Bounty hunters? Hunting down desperados and criminals comes to mind.
that's very speshul case. remember reading how hunters was raiding mexican villages and selling their scalps as injun's.
or there was absolutely epic story in kwa in 20s or 30s iirc. basically, banks were tired of constant robberies so they offered "lots of money for dead robber, 0$ for alive" so smart pipo just started killing random travellers and claiming rewards with bank workers getting their share.
so there is certain reason to pay only for alive target.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
I see only one explanation for why would you believe that anyone willing to commit a crime - murder for money - is not evil.
Bounty hunters? Hunting down desperados and criminals comes to mind.
Bounty hunters usually collect bounties issued by goverment/lawkeepers for criminals, not just kill anyone you want for money like assassins. About the same difference as with pirate and privateer.
And the message specifically warns the reader to not alert "forces of law".

Shaki

Arbiter
That's why games based on DND will never be good again. The tabletop is created for roleplaying and has to be normie and casual friendly, so anyone can invite friends and have a family friendly fantasy fun session with easy to understand rules and classes - cRPGs on the other hand, until AI gets improved and we can have legit AI DM controlling the experience, will never offer good roleplaying. Like 99% of fun in these comes from combat, and character-building autism, the gameplay loop of doing quests and gaining xp, then figuring out how to best utilize your levels and equipment to have the strongest possible character. If you force people into brainless single class premade "builds" that do it for them, then you just kill one of the main reasons to play the game, especially when DND already doesn't offer much fun when it comes to equipping your characters, since 99% of magic items are uninspired +1 +2 +1d6 fire damage, etc. trash, so when you also remove multiclassing autism, you're pretty much left with the game that doesn't need any decisions from you and basically plays itself.

DND with every new edition, becomes less and less suited to cRPGs, and RPG developers still deciding to use it, are doing nothing but bringing decline to the genre.

That's why games based on DND will never be good again. The tabletop is created for roleplaying and has to be normie and casual friendly, so anyone can invite friends and have a family friendly fantasy fun session with easy to understand rules and classes - cRPGs on the other hand, until AI gets improved and we can have legit AI DM controlling the experience, will never offer good roleplaying. Like 99% of fun in these comes from combat, and character-building autism, the gameplay loop of doing quests and gaining xp, then figuring out how to best utilize your levels and equipment to have the strongest possible character. If you force people into brainless single class premade "builds" that do it for them, then you just kill one of the main reasons to play the game, especially when DND already doesn't offer much fun when it comes to equipping your characters, since 99% of magic items are uninspired +1 +2 +1d6 fire damage, etc. trash, so when you also remove multiclassing autism, you're pretty much left with the game that doesn't need any decisions from you and basically plays itself.

DND with every new edition, becomes less and less suited to cRPGs, and RPG developers still deciding to use it, are doing nothing but bringing decline to the genre.

You are what's wrong with RPGs. Theorycrafting munchkins, that suck all the fun out of the games. Why you can have such a retardation as Shitmaker, with literally shit writing, shit exploration, and shit combat, but hey, it keeps the autists busy.

I will never get over the d100. I felt the same kinda feeling that this tiktok dude who makes those memes felt. You know you could just roll a d20 five times, right?

Well you could do many things, but a d100 is practically a ball. I'm pretty sure it has led to many retarded arguments, but then again, they are playing Pathfinder, so a level of extreme autism is required beforehand.

Shaki

Arbiter

You are what's wrong with RPGs. Theorycrafting munchkins, that suck all the fun out of the games. Why you can have such a retardation as Shitmaker, with literally shit writing, shit exploration, and shit combat, but hey, it keeps the autists busy

Yeah, if "fun" for you is reading a shitty visual novel, please continue. I'll keep playing prestigious games, while laughing at your rotting decline.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom