Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I will never get over the d100. I felt the same kinda feeling that this tiktok dude who makes those memes felt. You know you could just roll a d20 five times, right?
Just roll d10 twice.

Harthwain

Magister
Bounty hunters usually collect bounties issued by goverment/lawkeepers for criminals, not just kill anyone you want for money like assassins. About the same difference as with pirate and privateer.

And the message specifically warns the reader to not alert "forces of law".
I was thinking more along the lines of killing people for money ("wanted dead or alive" kind of thing). That said, you're correct that the message makes it obvious that it is directed to outright murderers and assassins.

Harthwain

Magister
I will never get over the d100. I felt the same kinda feeling that this tiktok dude who makes those memes felt. You know you could just roll a d20 five times, right?
Uh, no. You will get different averages with d20 times five than you will with d100. Also, rolling d20 five times = you will get 5 at a minimum, while with d100 = you will get 1 at a minimum. It gets even more important if rolling 1 has some consequences (like critical failure).

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
:bioware:complaining that DOS3 is closer to actual D&D/AD&D than Bioware's sorry excuses for RPGs. :rpgcodex: You should have known not to believe this.
In fairness, it's closer to modern D&D than BIoware's sorry excuses for RPGs.

That first point is accurate. There's no alignment system. And that's because Wizards of the Coast asked them not to put one in.
There are a handful of valid points in that list, but they are all items that have been correctly identified by Codexers as flaws in any CRPG of this type, not due to a departure from Bioware games:

Alignment, or rather the lack thereof, and smaller party size are probably the the only items that actually derive from current "Dungeons & Dragons". We have had criticism of this not only in the BG3 threads but also more extensively in the Solasta thread, since that game similarly relies on the rules of the game calling itself "D&D 5th edition".

A day/night cycle is something that can be, and has been, easily implemented in any number of CRPGs, but the BG3 developers are too lazy to implement it.

Linearity in level design is a plague that has become increasingly entrenched in CRPGs over the last two decades.

Dragon's Dogma had implemented what might be the best character face/body creation system ever in any RPG, back in 2012 (the PC port was 2016), even permitting modification of height, muscularity, fattiness, and (for female characters) bust size, with height and weight both having effects in-game, but it seems to have been perpetually ignored by later RPG developers.

The art style could certainly be improved.

Lyre Mors

Arcane
I haven't been following shit about this game in years. I just saw the above post and was perplexed that they hadn't added a day/night cycle.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Maybe you bulgars could go back to 4chan.
Me posting on every site that hasn't banned me:
rhodes.jpg

Absolutely mind blowing how a studio the size of Larian can't handle a day/night cycle. Like seriously, what in the fuck?
Yeah. What I found the most baffling was the defeatist attitude from the get go: “It’s hard to do it right so we aren’t going to bother”.

Their other excuse at the time was even worse: “It would be hard to synchronize the players clocks in multiplayer”.
Jesus Christ, just “stop the clock” for both/all when even just one player enters turn based mode.

There, I solved your gigantic design challenge for you in 15 seconds.

“B-but then players could experience days of different length”. Ok, so fucking what?

MerchantKing

Learned
Absolutely mind blowing how a studio the size of Larian can't handle a day/night cycle. Like seriously, what in the fuck?
Yeah. What I found the most baffling was the defeatist attitude from the get go: “It’s hard to do it right so we aren’t going to bother”.

Their other excuse at the time was even worse: “It would be hard to synchronize the players clocks in multiplayer”.
Jesus Christ, just “stop the clock” for both/all when even just one player enters turn based mode.

“B-but then players could experience days of different length”. Ok, so fucking what?
Or they could just put everyone in turn-based mode at the same time. No more clock problems.

Or they could just put everyone in turn-based mode at the same time. No more clock problems.
No, that’s something they deliberately wanted to avoid, since it’s a cornerstone of their idea of co-op that one player should be free to roam while another is engaged in combat (at least until they are extremely close).

That’s why I didn’t even go there.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
how easy it is to start most of combat encounters with surprise round? with multiclassing you can get some silly stuff

ydd7f9g.png

would need 3 rogue 5 ranger 2 fighter

only works for first turn but all that bonus dmg + crit dmg maybe throw in hunter's mark too for 6 attacks + there might be some feats that give more extra attacks

also is every hit made from hide counted as surprise? other than first turn still getting 1 crit + 1 extra attack for turn 2 or later turns does not sound too bad.

how easy it is to start most of combat encounters with surprise round?
Not too hard (currently) in the game and in general "first-round only" abilities aren't too shabby because you'll typically spend two or three rounds for combat at most, outside of the most challenging ones.

That said, from what I've heard assassins aren't considered particularly good as a subclass.

MerchantKing

Learned
No, that’s something they deliberately wanted to avoid, since it’s a cornerstone of their idea of co-op that one player should be free to roam while another is engaged in combat (at least until they are extremely close).

That’s why I didn’t even go there.
They are still free to roam around. They just have to wait their turn.

MerchantKing

Learned
They are still free to roam around. They just have to wait their turn.
It's like you don't want to listen.
They want you to be free to roam around IN REAL TIME while the other player is locked in turn based combat, at least until you two get close enough that whoever was "real time" get locked in the turn-based initiative queue.
Sounds like yet another thing that's not in tabletop. Yet another feature to list as an abomination.

Sounds like yet another thing that's not in tabletop. Yet another feature to list as an abomination.
It's OBVIOUSLY something that can't be "from tabletop" since one one plays tabletop RPGs "real time".
It doesn't change that this is something they are adamant about and whatever suggestion players may have needs to work around this premise rather than denying it.

That said, it wouldn't work that bad and it wouldn't be a particularly terrible compromise to swallow, if not for the retarded way they managed it during stealth.
Because, you see, while coming in proximity of a fight would normally mean being forcefully pulled in the turn-based queue, they had the BRILLIANT idea to make it so that if you are in stealth and undetected you can keep moving in real-time even an inch afar from other characters in turn-based mode and even run circles around them (figuratively and literally) and attack at will whenever you feel like.

It's idiotic because it's effortlessly exploitable to ridiculous degrees and it would be trivially easy to solve ("immediately put the character in the turn-based queue even if it remains in stealth when inside a certain range").

Mortmal

Arcane

You know why its tuned like that ? Because its aimed at streamers, not grognards, so imagine stopping the clock of one of their lovechild, unthinkable. Most of the game will be quite easy too i can predict with the same flaws as solasta as a game streamer is barely more evolved than a gaming journo.

You know why its tuned like that ? Because its aimed at streamers, not grognards, so imagine stopping the clock of one of their lovechild, unthinkable. Most of the game will be quite easy too i can predict with the same flaws as solasta as a game streamer is barely more evolved than a gaming journo.
Let me clarify that the "clock" I'm talking about in that post is a literal in-game clock.
I'm not talking about going real-time or turn-based because as I elaborated in the following replies the game ALREADY let players that aren't in combat roam in real-time.

The suggestion was literally about stopping the progress of the hours on the day/night cycle. To clarify with an example: if someone enters in turn-based mode when it's 12:05 in the in-game schedule, everyone STAYS at 12:05 even if roaming in real-time and the day doesn't march on for all the player involved.
With this system they could satisfy BOTH their own design principle of having a perfect sync among multiple players that keep moving in and out of turn-based mode AND leave the door open for having a dynamic day/night schedule.

The only downside would be that among all the players, the one that spent less time in turn-based mode would "benefit" of a longer-than-average day/night. But as I already said... So fucking what? Who would actually care about a minor incongruence when the alternative is just to give up on the day/night cycle entirely?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom