Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

DemonKing

Arcane
One dude likes to play stealthy guys in most games, one likes sword and boarding, and the fourth, we will have to help out. He'll probably be assigned the mage role. No one else wants to do it. I'm sticking to my punch dudes in the face character.
Make him a sorcerer then because he won't have to get his head around memorising spells and can just blast away.

As for in game choices, I finished the first two games with a LE Human Necromancer based on an old PNP character so might go there again. Romance will definitely go for the Half-Elf cleric chic with the Rubix cube (I like the Gith's personality but I suspect she might be a bit rough for me in the sack).

Last edited:

lycanwarrior

Scholar
Friendly reminder that Solasta, a game that's more of a 5e combat simulator than a narrative focused RPG, manages to solve this by having the entire party participate in dialogue.

Of course it's infinitely easier to implement in a game where the dialogue and RP isn't a major focus, but considering the budget and amount of employees Larian has at their disposal I really don't think it's too much to ask. I doubt they'll surprise us with something similar to the attached picture but a man can dream. It only really reinforces the sentiment towards the game I expressed a couple of pages ago:
That's more or less where I'm at as well. I never really had any doubts that the finalised game would be good, but at the same time I fully expect my playthrough to be full of game mechanic induced headaches and various events that leave me thinking 'this could have been so much better if they had done X instead'

Solasta's dialogues, and generally art department, are awful. This game is proof that approach à la "cRPG is only good when slavishly imitate tabletop combat and ignore every artistic aspect" is dumb.

Probably why Bioware decided to branch off from D&D to Dragon Age. Then they wouldn't have to deal with the lore and rules lawyers and their whiny-ass bitching lol.

Last edited:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Alignment is incline as fuck. Babies just can't handle content being gated off. "Nooooo! My Lawful Neutral character felt like being Chaotic Good today! Let me in!"
Noooooo, no one trusts my heckin' Chaotic Evil Sorcerino to save them, devs please remove.

Harthwain

Magister
The ideal solution to social situations is to make skill check failures (AND successes) less than straightforward. Sometimes failing can be advantageous. Sometimes success merely opens up the possibility to say the right thing. Either way is work intensive, and it's special when the devs actually do it.
Disco Elysium did exactly that. Hell, sometimes even failing a skill check produced a more desirable result (which is a good thing, because "success" when doing something shouldn't result in being good every time).

Alignment is incline as fuck. Babies just can't handle content being gated off. "Nooooo! My Lawful Neutral character felt like being Chaotic Good today! Let me in!"
I never could tell how Planescape: Torment decides to shift your alignment. It's one of the games where I think you could benefit from having the shift clearly laballed in the dialogue option window (or at least have the whole system explained beforehand).

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
while a more extensive system allowing multiple party members to intervene in the conversation is the ideal solution to most problems.
= "I want to always win all the checks." You're a real choice & consequence guy. "I choose to win."

In the originals it would happen too
In the originals there was almost zero stats checks throughout the entire game. I know, I looked. BG1 has literally one meaningful check for dexterity in the entire game. And IE games had no "intimidate", "persuade" etc. It didn't matter who spoke.
BG1 had several charisma checks for NPCs giving you magical items. But yeah otherwise it's extremely rare.

most of those cha checks needed like 18 or so, and a dagger +1 right at the beginning of the game is very useful.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Yeah. Solasta implemented a lot of neat stuff, but did the bare minimum with it. Basically, the NWN approach: they expect you to come with better stuff using the editor.
Wich is very limited and not half as good as the nwn editor was.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
most of those cha checks needed like 18 or so, and a dagger +1 right at the beginning of the game is very useful.
I remember being salty that my 17 charisma paladin wasn't good enough to get anything at all

torn between Warlock and Sorcerer. depends entirely on how much Warlock reactivity there is, since Wyll is gonna have a ton of it by virtue of being a companion and I don't wanna suck by comparison. Archfey vs Wild Magic for subclasses.
Why not just multiclass as warlock/sorc then? It's one of the best 5e combos.

Reinhardt

Arcane
You can blame decades of piss poor video game design for that. Failed rolls have almost become synonymous with being locked out (some times permanently) of content or some other type of experience within the game that you have no alternate ways of reaching.
surprisingly ddo does it better than most single-palyer games. failed persuation? pick the lock. can't pick? kill. missed optional and really want to do it? you can replay quest, because every quest is self-contained adventure.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Dipping a single level will result in missing on +2 to one of your stats.
But considering you can't go above 20 anyway, it might be not too much of a loss.
Am I reading things right and do those stat increases compete with feats?
Yes. I don't know if Swen had not homeruled it like god did the turtle, but by RAW you can choose to take either a feat or a stat increase.
So it's possible to have level 12 multiclassed char who has no feats and the same stats he strarted with.
Solasta has it right, btw.

BruceVC

Magister
Alignment has never produced anything worthwhile. In fact, it hasn't ever produced anything except for endless arguments on the internet forums about what is right and what is wrong. Doing away with alignment is objectively a good thing.
So how would you judge the actions of devils or demons in the D&D universe? I dont see how you can argue alignment doesnt matter if you think of the myriad of examples that exist that are because of alignment?

Reinhardt

Arcane
das rite! don't mess with bruce dreams!
if alignment is not real how he can turn lolth into waifu with helm of opposite alignment?!

BruceVC

Magister
muh reactivity, muh dialogue checks, muh romances. fags.
das rite! don't mess with bruce dreams!
if alignment is not real how he can turn lolth into waifu with helm of opposite alignment?!
Why are you such an unlikable cunt in every thread you enter?
But hes right in this case, it does erode my interest in redemption arcs in RPG if alignment doesnt matter

But thats just one reason I maintain alignment is important

Reinhardt

Arcane

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
But hes right in this case, it does erode my interest in redemption arcs in RPG if alignment doesnt matter
Redemption arcs don't require alignment charts. You can see some character acting out villainy, then some event or revelation happens, and they stop acting out villainy. Wow, redemption!
Star Wars didn't have alignment charts, and everyone knew Darth Vader had a change of heart at the end.

BruceVC

Magister
Redemption arcs don't require alignment charts. You can see some character acting out villainy, then some event or revelation happens, and they stop acting out villainy. Wow, redemption!
Star Wars didn't have alignment charts, and everyone knew Darth Vader had a change of heart at the end.
Okay thats a good point. But then how do you define gods in D&D without alignment?

Reinhardt

Arcane
Okay thats a good point. But then how do you define gods in D&D without alignment?
actually that's NOT a good point. why would anyone want to turn darth vader into waifu?

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Just give them domains. Oh, I am a cultist of the War God. I am a follower of the Justice God. I am a disciple of the Deception God.
And culters can make up reasons as to why their god is a good one and their domain is much needed in society or for success. You know, like real life.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
You know, like real life.
except they don't need to "make up reasons" because their god smiting their heretical ass is objective reality.
Its objective reality that some outsider being is fucking shit up. Its not objective reality that MY outsider being is good, and YOUR outsider being is bad, good and bad being relative terms.

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
Its objective reality that some outsider being is fucking shit up. Its not objective reality that MY outsider being is good, and YOUR outsider being is bad, good and bad being relative terms.

So gods of betrayal and chaos, murder, torture, with rites of child sacrifice and demons devouring mortals, these being evil is just, like, your opinion, man?

That pussy attitude takes all the fun out of being evil.

BruceVC

Magister
Just give them domains. Oh, I am a cultist of the War God. I am a follower of the Justice God. I am a disciple of the Deception God.
And culters can make up reasons as to why their god is a good one and their domain is much needed in society or for success. You know, like real life.
Interesting, okay I see what you saying. I need to think about it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom