Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Russia is over. The end.

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
It's such a stupid thing. No, you don't need the "main character" to talk. You designate a face, it can be anyone. You want it to be your stupid barbarian, be my guest.

Last edited:
In the originals it would happen too, an NPC would approach you and would talk to the closest character they had. The dialogue switching is more of a thing in coop, because you don't get to see what your friend is doing or saying unless they are sharing their screen with you, which is fucking retarded

It's such a stupid thing. No, you don't need the "main character" to talk.
Yes, I do.
Especially in every game where I'm supposed to be a set protagonist character rather than the whole party.
You throwing a tantrum about it and calling names is not going to change it.

You designate a face, it can be anyone.
That's... Exactly the request being done here?

You want it to be your stupid barbarian, be my guest.

Once again, that's EXACTLY what I'm asking to be able to do.

Did the school system fail you or what?

EDIT - it's also worth stressing that while still better than what we have currently, "designating a face" is an inadequate solution that covers only a subset of options (i.e. charisma checks if the face is based on charisma), while a more extensive system allowing multiple party members to intervene in the conversation is the ideal solution to most problems.

Last edited:

Shrimp

Liturgist
Friendly reminder that Solasta, a game that's more of a 5e combat simulator than a narrative focused RPG, manages to solve this by having the entire party participate in dialogue.

Of course it's infinitely easier to implement in a game where the dialogue and RP isn't a major focus, but considering the budget and amount of employees Larian has at their disposal I really don't think it's too much to ask. I doubt they'll surprise us with something similar to the attached picture but a man can dream. It only really reinforces the sentiment towards the game I expressed a couple of pages ago:
That's more or less where I'm at as well. I never really had any doubts that the finalised game would be good, but at the same time I fully expect my playthrough to be full of game mechanic induced headaches and various events that leave me thinking 'this could have been so much better if they had done X instead'

Reinhardt

Arcane
Friendly reminder that Solasta, a game that's more of a 5e combat simulator than a narrative focused RPG, manages to solve this by having the entire party participate in dialogue.

Of course it's infinitely easier to implement in a game where the dialogue and RP isn't a major focus, but considering the budget and amount of employees Larian has at their disposal I really don't think it's too much to ask. I doubt they'll surprise us with something similar to the attached picture but a man can dream. It only really reinforces the sentiment towards the game I expressed a couple of pages ago:
That's more or less where I'm at as well. I never really had any doubts that the finalised game would be good, but at the same time I fully expect my playthrough to be full of game mechanic induced headaches and various events that leave me thinking 'this could have been so much better if they had done X instead'

imagine being some peasant npc doing peasant things and minding your own business and then SUDDENLY four trannies marching to you, blocking all routes to escape.

scytheavatar

Scholar
- Yes, WOTC required so.

Have to add that the alignment system was a dumbfuck relic of older DnD editions and I am not sure why it still exists in RPG. Morality should be more complicated than just being reduced to bins. Watching dialogue options with the (good) and (evil) prompts shows what a stupid system it is. It is good that 5th ed tried to move away from the alignment system, and hopefully it no longer exists for the 6th ed when it comes out.

Harthwain

Magister
Have to add that the alignment system was a dumbfuck relic of older DnD editions and I am not sure why it still exists in RPG. Morality should be more complicated than just being reduced to bins. Watching dialogue options with the (good) and (evil) prompts shows what a stupid system it is. It is good that 5th ed tried to move away from the alignment system, and hopefully it no longer exists for the 6th ed when it comes out.
Eh, I get the idea behind it. The problem is that in a cRPG it's difficult to make it work and going into ethics in tabletop can needlessly complicate things. That said, having a character in your party who is against doing certain things can be interesting, because it means he needs to be provided with some sort of plausible deniability or the party has to run an operation to keep that particular party member in the dark.

Reinhardt

Arcane
That said, having a character in your party who is against doing certain things can be interesting, because it means he needs to be provided with some sort of plausible deniability or the party has to run an operation to keep that particular party member in the dark.
not worth it. just kick him.

MerchantKing

Learned
Post Race, Class, Weapon, Alignment, Party, Romance and Character Customization.
Chaotic Neutral Gnome Illusionist/Thief with a crossbow. (Jan Jansen)
Chaotic Neutral Elf Wizard with a staff. (Golodon)
Chaotic Evil Angry Dwarf Fighter with an axe and big shield. (Korgan Bloodaxe)
Chaotic Neutral Gnome Cleric with a hammer. (Ma Jansen)

I'm not going to use the NPC companions so no Romance. I'm only going to take their gear and use them for my characters.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Post Race, Class, Weapon, Alignment, Party, Romance and Character Customization.
Human Lawful Good Paladin with a great-sword. Stuck with it for more than 20 years, will do so for at least another 20.

Vengeance oath ofcourse, smiting first and asking question later.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
There's multiclassing in BG3 right?

4 Sorcadins
1 Rogue or Bard skill monkey

Game EZ

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
Im not too familiar with 5e but after looking wiki for few hours bard + warlock hybrid looks pretty nice. either 11 bard / 1 warlock or 10 bard/2 warlock but if I can only afford 1 level dip then there are few other classes than warlock that looks promising. 12 to bard don't make sense to me.
problem with 10/2 is that no access to 6th level spells but none of those looked too tempting other than eyebite and maybe true seeing depends on enemies.

10 to bard looks mandatory since this looks busted:
eHqKfwQ.png

Russia is over. The end.

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
while a more extensive system allowing multiple party members to intervene in the conversation is the ideal solution to most problems.
= "I want to always win all the checks." You're a real choice & consequence guy. "I choose to win."

In the originals it would happen too
In the originals there was almost zero stats checks throughout the entire game. I know, I looked. BG1 has literally one meaningful check for dexterity in the entire game. And IE games had no "intimidate", "persuade" etc. It didn't matter who spoke.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
12 to bard don't make sense to me.

Unless there's some obscure errata on the matter, in 5E ability score increases are tied to class level, not character level.
Given the game's scope, most classes can get their stats boosted 3 times - at 4, 8 and 12 levels.
Except the Fighter who get an additional increase at level 6.

So if you don't want to miss a stat increase, you have to plan your multiclassing around chunks of 4 levels.
Dipping a single level will result in missing on +2 to one of your stats.
But considering you can't go above 20 anyway, it might be not too much of a loss.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom