Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Mortmal

Arcane
"Senior combat designer Matt Holland explained that Baldur’s Gate 3’s three difficulty levels don’t just ramp up the base layers of the game, such as granting enemies more HP and upping their accuracy rolls. They also play around with enemy placement, environmental factors and AI to add “little bits of spice” to each and every of the game’s 300 encounters."

Now that's going on the right way, limited rest and attrition now please.
There's a less optimistic interpretation, which is that if you want good AI you'll also have to contend with HP bloat.

From my experience, AI in this game could be surprising. Like during Githianki battle, when they magically pull your archers from bridge in their first turn. If Larian improve that, combat might by challenging.
If there's unlimited rest still , nothing at all will be challenging.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

It's surprising that with a new CRPG with turn based combat, choices and consequences and reactivity coming out people focus on the adjacent content that you will never see unless you engage with it.
I mean it would have been surprising if this site wasn't polluted by 4chan and reddit rejects.
Right? The game alone has a ton of features and possibly a reactivity of choice of concequences on a level crpgs never had before. But let's screech about the bear sex scene! Surely it is something too heavy to bear!!

Jokes aside i liked what i seen at the presentation (Except the bear part that i will absolutely skip in my playtrough).

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Yeah for a Larian game I guess the characters have always been ridiculous joke people. It is all very tongue in cheek in all the divinity games and it has extended to BG3.

Maybe if they spent much less time on writing shitty henchmen no one will care about and focused more on the game. Why work so hard on something that most players will end up dark urging straight away?

I prefer to treat this story as playground to experimentation. I think is a better approach to video games than fully "serious" stories.

It's surprising that with a new CRPG with turn based combat, choices and consequences and reactivity coming out people focus on the adjacent content that you will never see unless you engage with it.
I mean it would have been surprising if this site wasn't polluted by 4chan and reddit rejects.

Combat basics and its evolution from patch to patch are known from months. We need full release to decide if it works or not. Imagine judging BG1 combat from a second level paladin.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
The writing is far different than DOS2 tho. Completely in fact. Beside is not like bg1 had an exceptional writing bg2 was where the writing was vastly better.

It really isn't, it has the exact same humour and irreverent silly characters so far. It is just more polished and the gameplay is slowed down much more.

I was getting Ego Draconis and Dragon commander flashbacks the whole time while playing.

zapotec

Liturgist
Yeah for a Larian game I guess the characters have always been ridiculous joke people. It is all very tongue in cheek in all the divinity games and it has extended to BG3.

Maybe if they spent much less time on writing shitty henchmen no one will care about and focused more on the game. Why work so hard on something that most players will end up dark urging straight away?
The writing is far different than DOS2 tho. Completely in fact. Beside is not like bg1 had an exceptional writing bg2 was where the writing was vastly better.
I beg to differ
3jf5phdy97a11.png

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

It really isn't, it has the exact same humour and irreverent silly characters so far. It is just more polished and the gameplay is slowed down much more.

I was getting Ego Draconis and Dragon commander flashbacks the whole time while playing.
I never seen much humor in my playtrough in EA. Except when i were talking with animals. I think the Astarion Bear sequence was bad to show because it actually depicts the Larian humor people wanted to avoid.

Bg1 had a lot of wacky stuff.
Khalid saying: T-th t-th that's all folk (Clear referece to porky pig)
The whole character of misc.
The miners: Get me out of this hell-oh!
The chicken demon.
The randomic girl looking for a dog and the dog reveal himself a demon out of nowhere.
It there is a LOT more to stuff to quote.

Turn_BASED

Educated
I’m late to the party with this but it baffles me that Larian started yet another one of their fucking games on the beach. I ragequit after washing up on shore, holy hell what a boner killer after the mindflayer ship.

Someone mentioned "I don't think people playing rpgs in the 80s were this degenerate" and I'm like. Dude, have you ever seen fantasy stuff from the 80s? Bear romances didn't became a thing out of thin air. They've always been there. 80s fantasy was also filled with tons of degenerate stuff, but since it was degeneration that you approved of, it didn't seem odd to you. RPG players were always *that dude*. Ed Greenwood wasn't an outlier.

Varnaan

Augur
Combat basics and its evolution from patch to patch are known from months. We need full release to decide if it works or not. Imagine judging BG1 combat from a second level paladin.
Ok so let's talk about the epic bear sex joke and romances for a hundred pages.
I played through the EA three times since it first became available and I never romanced a single character.
It's such a minimal part of the game, yet if you read this thread, 50% is le romance, 20% is le bear sex, 20% is larian bad, and 10% is actually about the core game systems. Fun fact is most of the garbage posted is from relatively recent accounts and well known Codex retards/degenerate decline jerkoffs.

Last edited:

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Someone mentioned "I don't think people playing rpgs in the 80s were this degenerate" and I'm like. Dude, have you ever seen fantasy stuff from the 80s? Bear romances didn't became a thing out of thin air. They've always been there. 80s fantasy was also filled with tons of degenerate stuff, but since it was degeneration that you approved of, it didn't seem odd to you. RPG players were always *that dude*. Ed Greenwood wasn't an outlier.

Ah yes, John Varley and his accidental lesbians in the world of hugepenises nonbinary centaurs.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Ok so let's that about the epic bear sex joke and romances for a hundred pages.
I played through the EA three times since it first became available and I never romanced a single character.
It's such a minimal part of the game, yet if you read this thread, 50% is le romance, 20% is le bear sex, 20% is larian bad, and 10% is actually about the core game systems. Fun fact is most of the garbage posted is from relatively recent accounts and well known Codex retards/degenerate decline jerkoffs.

There is real game and marketing of the game. It's annoying, I know, but in modern world its a price for AAA turn-based games with so many classes. I don't like that, but what a choice we have? Treat this post-Bioware crowd as mules pulling carriage. There are smelly, gross but useful

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
i thought shadowheart is cleric
She both has amnesia, and specializes in deception and disguise. I doubt the author had the self restraint to not give her a big plot twist as to who and what she is.
So maybe in the end she is a Diablo druid. Maybe the bear sex is not optional after all.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
It's such a minimal part of the game, yet if you read this thread, 50% is le romance
To be fair, Larian are leaning on that with their recent marketing as well. I guess they are reading the room well, since 4chan discourse is SHADOWSEXO, Reddit discourse is BEAR SEX and Codex discourse is irrelevant and nobody cares about this shithole.

Varnaan

Augur
It's such a minimal part of the game, yet if you read this thread, 50% is le romance
To be fair, Larian are leaning on that with their recent marketing as well. I guess they are reading the room well, since 4chan discourse is SHADOWSEXO, Reddit discourse is BEAR SEX and Codex discourse is irrelevant and nobody cares about this shithole.
It's a symptom of game publishing. Games don't sell on gameplay features or design anymore. Part of it is due to how far have software and hardware gone. In the 90s, you used to sell games by telling people you could save your game. Now it's pointless to try to sell your game by telling technical stuff, mostly because most people are tech illiterate.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
I don't mind human centipede but 800 pages of this shit gets old.

I don't mind to pointlessly argue with insecure autists, but this thread is long enough without that.
Then maybe stop talking to yourself

Who refer own quotes as "Smart Stuff "? Somebody who quips as kindergartener.

Reinhardt

Arcane
also it's about BEAR SEX too

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom