Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
It's a symptom of game publishing. Games don't sell on gameplay features or design anymore. Part of it is due to how far have software and hardware gone. In the 90s, you used to sell games by telling people you could save your game. Now it's pointless to try to sell your game by telling technical stuff, mostly because most people are tech illiterate.
They advertise the implementation of D&D, the verticality, the visuals, the music, the multi-system portability, the multiplayer and coop experience, etc. Its just this last push that had more romance than earlier, because they noticed that's all you nerds talk about, and they are trying to get in touch with the rotten user base.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
I played through the EA three times since it first became available and I never romanced a single character.
It's such a minimal part of the game, yet if you read this thread, 50% is le romance
To be fair, Larian are leaning on that with their recent marketing as well. I guess they are reading the room well, since 4chan discourse is SHADOWSEXO, Reddit discourse is BEAR SEX and Codex discourse is irrelevant and nobody cares about this shithole.
It's a symptom of game publishing. Games don't sell on gameplay features or design anymore. Part of it is due to how far have software and hardware gone. In the 90s, you used to sell games by telling people you could save your game. Now it's pointless to try to sell your game by telling technical stuff, mostly because most people are tech illiterate.

The put a lot of effort and money if this game. If that marketing can sell game, they do that. Not doing that is simply irrational from company perspective.

Sven is a good businessman.

They advertise the implementation of D&D, the verticality, the visuals, the music, the multi-system portability, the multiplayer and coop experience, etc. Its just this last push that had more romance than earlier, because they noticed that's all you nerds talk about, and they are trying to get in touch with the rotten user base.
Don't include me in that shit. It's you guys getting triggered at some admittely boring piece of marketing. I'm on this because of the TB mechanics, even though I've noticed they've added some things I don't like during EA.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Ends DOS2 on a cliff hanger and never releases story DLC.
Commissions 2 spinoff games from other studios and cancels both.

That why I call him great businessman:

We will get DOS3 after BG4 (yes, yes...).

DLC are for company. Releasing them without purpose is wasting resources.

Spinoff games are gadgets. Larian had bigger scope than this. Again, releasing them without purpose is wasting resources.

jaekl

Learned
Patron

- Better writing confirmed
- Better and harder combat in Act 2 confirmed
- Better itemization confirmed

Says it's his GOTY by far, nothing comes close.

It's inevitable, even the haters will bend the knee.

You know very well that you can't trust a word out of a youtube guy's mouth, especially if he's being sent marketing material. They're the greediest little sellout weasels on this planet. Now put some guys in your game who aren't salon-attending fashionista gaylords so (relatively) normal people can play. Don't talk to me about Minsc either, he is an unfunny joke character and the joke is over 20 years old now. Thanks buddy.

Kem0sabe

Arcane

Spinoff games are gadgets. Larian had bigger scope than this. Again, releasing them without purpose is wasting resources.
He has done wonders for Larian, turning them from a euro trash developer with middling sales, into the biggest western rpg developer (CDPR excluded), with multiple studios and hundreds of people.

If BG3 is a massive hit, and I believe it will be, Sven could sell the company to Microsoft for a gigantic paycheck and still keep working on RPGs until he retires to Thailand to fuck underage ladyboys like every other Belgian.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
He has done wonders for Larian, turning them from a euro trash developer with middling sales, into the biggest western rpg developer (CDPR excluded), with multiple studios and hundreds of people.
You make it sound like he joined recently. He is the founder of the company, from the 1990s. Their lackluster growth and stagnation was also under his reign.

Varnaan

Augur
Sven will never sell Larian, it's his baby, from day one, through thick and thin he stuck with it.
They always got fucked by publishers and have never done better than since they went full independent.

La vie sexuelle

Learned

To be Microsoft of Valve you need to be monopolist. But like Ubisoft? Yes, that possible. Sadly, that scale success could kill them like CDPR.

If BG3 is a massive hit, and I believe it will be, Sven could sell the company to Microsoft for a gigantic paycheck and still keep working on RPGs until he retires to Thailand to fuck underage ladyboys like every other Belgian.

Sven is old fashioned ladies man. If it wasn't enforces censorship around there would be much more tits.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
So, is it really gonna be released next month?

I saw on their steam page that as of Dec 2022, only act 1 out of 3 is available on the EA version. Are they doing this on purpose and already have the whole game done or is the information outdated and the other acts have already been included?

La vie sexuelle

Learned

I saw on their steam page that as of Dec 2022, only act 1 out of 3 is available on the EA version. Are they doing this on purpose and already have the whole game done or is the information outdated and the other acts have already been included?

Just an old description.

Jrpgfan

Erudite

Just an old description.
So the current build has all 3 acts and no level cap?

Thinking about giving it a chance. I've finished Colony Ship EA content for the 10th time and am in desperate need of playing something new(I know that I'll probably be disappointed but I can't think clearly when under withdrawal symptoms).

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

Their last 2 games launched the same way: early access for Kickstarter backers to Act 1, and updates for it. No access for anyone to later acts.
Sadly in the last 2 games, Act 1 was also the most polished on release. Especially DOS1. With the way BG3 is set up, we haven't seen the city at all, so maybe Larian will break the curse and release a game that's not front loaded.

La vie sexuelle

Learned

Just an old description.

Last public build if pretty old and limited. Only first, incomplete act and four levels. It albo be rewritten for full relase.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

Their last 2 games launched the same way: early access for Kickstarter backers to Act 1, and updates for it. No access for anyone to later acts.
Sadly in the last 2 games, Act 1 was also the most polished on release. Especially DOS1. With the way BG3 is set up, we haven't seen the city at all, so maybe Larian will break the curse and release a game that's not front loaded.
It's not just Larian, many RPGs are front-loaded as most people never reach the later chapters, so it makes sense to really polish the first ones and crap out the rest

Jrpgfan

Erudite

Just an old description.

Last public build if pretty old and limited. Only first, incomplete act and four levels. It albo be rewritten for full relase.
I'm asking about the current steam build. If I buy it now, can I play all three acts or is it still limited to act 1?

Nelka

Educated

Just an old description.

I'm asking about the current steam build. If I buy it now, can I play all three acts or is it still limited to act 1?
Just Act1. Headstart (72h) will be limited to Act 1 aswell.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
They release a game in EA, claim it's because player feedback is important, and then let you play only 1/3 of it until release. Makes no fucking sense.

Nelka

Educated
They release a game in EA, claim it's because player feedback is important, and then let you play only 1/3 of it until release. Makes no fucking sense.
No, you don't understand. The "1.0" release is just another step of early access, players will beta test the rest of the game. For a complete product come back in a year, just like every other game lately.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
It makes perfect sense. The EA is for gameplay and UI feedback. BG3 is a story game, they don't want people to experience the full story while it's basically a draft.

The game has changed a lot since release.Every time you uninstall, you get directed to a survey which asks your opinion and why you're uninstalling.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
You can give feedback on the engine, lighting, shadows, color schemes, controls and handling, user interface, loading times, gameplay implementation, bugs with items, inventory, abilities, etc, on just the tutorial.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom