Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

a cut of domestic sheep prime

This is more disappointing that Avelone's Arcanum stream.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What a cock tease.

Also I find the box you guys talked about kinda funny. It's the whole J.J. Abrams mystery box™ again, well a literal box this time.

Codex Year of the Donut
image.jpg

Self-Ejected

Kazuki

Self-Ejected
Fantastic this thread has been hijacked to be JE Sawyer Apreciation Thread,

Is this your true plan all along Sawyer?

Last edited:

just

Liturgist
onyl a nazi would make a human white male character
i hope you all get tagged and your identity sent to various anti fascist groups
also hope they come to your home and force you to go through act1 kneeling on corn

jf8350143

Liturgist
Played some more and find it very jarring for Larian to not have the traditional way of recruiting companions. I mean they already have the whole thing in the game, you can recruit NPCs into your camp, some of them can fight along with you in the game during certain quest, but no you can't select them as companions once the mission is over. There are even romances with them, it's the whole package.

If larian likes their bloody pre-made protagonist pretend to be companions so much, then keep it, but why not having some normal companions as well?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Is it possible to select more than one character and give a collective move command, or is the only option selecting them one by one (if they are not chained to follow the one you are controlling)?

Their map design remains highly compressed, but I really liked the swamp area.

Not only for the general atmosphere in both "incarnations", ambient fx included -- but also finding out a little late to the party where those damn redcaps are actually coming from that attack you if you get into a fight with auntie Ethel. "Maaaaah".

:D

Still don't know why they're sticking with so many UI hassles though, including the chain-linking of characters rather than simply selecting them. The "oldies" were so pleasant to play in big parts because they had copied RTS control schemes; the simplest you can go with a keyboard and a mouse. Also, does the combat log only auto scroll to the last entry if you make the window bigger? If so, why?

Last edited:

Harthwain

Magister
C'mon guys, stop being white already!
I wonder if Kotaku realizes the joke is on them here. Larian essentially encourages people to take more creative options in the character creator, strongly hinting at non-human races (well, *a* race. Since they are being very specific there). Not to create some "basic-ass character" where the only difference is a skin color, which makes no real difference to the character in the end.

Edit: Which made me think that color skin should be an extension of character's cultural background, not just the paint job.

jf8350143

Liturgist
Now that I think about it there's something about the maps I find a bit odd.
The overworld area has a couple of locations that seem like they'll serve as traditional map travelling points. They open up a world map with the accessible areas and a message telling you that you can't go anywhere because those areas are off-limits during EA.
However the first chapter/act of the story seems to only finish once you board a specific boat in the Underdark.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but it's making me wonder if the area you're travelling to at the end of the first act somehow will be directly connected to the areas you'll be able to reach through the overworld map travel or if they actually will include lesser side maps off the beaten path that you can travel to.

Supposedly you don't even have to go to under dark to pushing the main quest forward, there are three ways to approach the tower and underdark is only one of them. It's probably just how they choose to end the firs chapter with you going on the boat because it forces you to go through all the content they have.

jf8350143

Liturgist
C'mon guys, stop being white already!
I wonder if Kotaku realizes the joke is on them here. Larian essentially encourages people to take more creative options in the character creator, strongly hinting at non-human races (well, *a* race. Since they are being very specific there). Not to create some "basic-ass character" where the only difference is a skin color, which makes no real difference to the character in the end.

Edit: Which made me think that color skin should be an extension of character's cultural background, not just the paint job.

It's jarring that most people play human in BG 3, espeically considering their racial traits is shit in this one.

I thought elf and half-elf would be the most popular one.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
I do wonder how many people chose Halflings as their race.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom