Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Steezus

Savant
Patron
The scene isn't serious but the decision to show it is real and there was a real thought process behind it.

I think most people around here who are signalling outrage at the scene, are outraged by the decision more than by the scene's inclusion in the game. It's a sex scene within a PC-NPC romance where the NPC is a druid whose animal form is a bear. And lo and behold, the devs decided in this particular combination that the scene will include the druid shifting during the act. It makes sense so far, in a goofy humor context. But choosing to display this particular scene in the panel stream is a separate matter.

Didn't they let the audience pick the dialog options? If yes, then of course everybody went with the bear, because it's so fucking ridiculous. Everybody who's still outraged about the bear scene is fucking heavy with the 'tism.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Of all the imaginable for this context things-that-shouldn't-be-taken-seriously, why did they decide to go with a bear-on-man sex scene? That's what I'd like to hear someone rationalize
Hard to guess why it was included without knowing what else is in there (and how that compares in terms of being outlandish), but at the very least the timing of that reveal and the resulting ~shock factor~ (more through word of mouth than first hand reactions) can translate into more people talking about it shortly before release, which is probably a good marketing move. The best time to market a game is a few weeks to a month before release, because it's close enough that anyone left "excited" after looking into it won't have forgotten about it, or totally moved on, when it releases. A few weeks also gives people time to schedule a day or two off work or whatever (I doubt it releasing on a Thursday/Friday (geography depending) is an accident either).

Is hard to imagine an American or British dev doing this, but mainland Europeans are typically a lot less squeamish around sexual topics and humour in media to begin with.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Is hard to imagine an American or British dev doing this, but mainland Europeans are typically a lot less squeamish around sexual topics and humour in media to begin with.
I think anglo supremacy in western media has given some people the wrong idea about what is funny and what is "degeneracy".

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

By making it possible and showing this scene, the developers clearly intend to indicate that everything is possible: Homosexuality, transexuality, zoophilia....
You would have told me 20 years ago about something as ridiculous, I would have not believed it. Yet here we are.

What's the next step? Necrophilia?
crazy-guy.jpg

If that makes you feel better. Astarion is actually a Vampire Spawn. So here you have it Necrophilia too!

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

And in all of this Bg3 is now the third game much sold on steam first one dosn't count as counterstrike is free the second one is remnant 2
:incline:

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
How do you do, fellow kids?
Say, don't you think its weird how there are bad words, like "damn" or "fuck" in songs? What's next, a pledge of allegiance to Satan at every chorus?

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
How do you do, fellow kids?
Say, don't you think its weird how there are bad words, like "damn" or "fuck" in songs? What's next, a pledge of allegiance to Satan at every chorus?
Yeah, fellow white man, don't you think pointless profanity is cool? Aren't black people cool too with using "nigger" all the time?

:gangster:

Shaki

Arbiter
Sure there's an obvious marketing purpose too, Larian knew this shit will cause outrage... Mission accomplished.
I too find this explanation more likely than Swen and the team sitting in a dark room and conspiring how to normalize zoophilia. But we live in the 21st century, every demand for a narrative will be met by someone to push that narrative :)

Still, I find it pretty distasteful even as marketing moves go.
Far more likely explanation, is Larian catering to a massive furry audience. There is no masterplan to cause outrage, or haha adding ironic bear sex for funsies. It's simply business. Furries are a massive audience, and it's not the first time Larian caters to this type of people, they already had Big Red Lizard companion anally destroying your PC in DOS2, was that also ironic? Catering to trans/gay/furry audiences pays much better than anything else, so the game is made specifically to suit the tastes of these groups, and codexers in love with BG3 are probably members of one of these groups too - just either in denial stage, or staying hidden on purpose.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Furries are a massive audience

Catering to trans/gay/furry audiences pays much better than anything else

I'm sure you can cite some market research data to back that up...
I wouldn't understimate the guy's knowledge. I for one had no idea the Red Prince can "anally destroy" the PC in D:OS2, but he seems to be perfectly versed in the subject.

Shaki

Arbiter
massive furry audience
Larian is selling to millions. The furry audience may no longer look as massive to them as it does to you.
There are a lot of furries, and they're incredibly loyal audience and willing to spend as lot on games that "support" them, same as trannies and gays. Pathfinder had nothing to do with furries, and yet when WotR had a poll for an additional race, furries massively rallied and made catpeople overwhelmingly win. Furries/trannies are very overrepresented in RPG gaming circles, and most devs are catering to them, it very cost effective to add some furry/tranny custimization options and sex scenes and shit and in exchange get million furries and trannies swarming your game - not to mention majority of the game journos being trannies/fags/furries and don't actually playing games they review, so even if they had nothing else but this singular gay bear sex scene and couple of pictures of chicks with dicks from character creator as a promo, it'd already be enough to guarantee them majority of 10/10 reviews.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Pathfinder had nothing to do with furries, and yet when WotR had a poll for an additional race, furries massively rallied and made catpeople overwhelmingly win
1. Overwhelmingly by what absolute numbers? 1000? 10 000?
2. I thought foxes won.

Gradenmayer

Learned
Catering to minorities is really easy- you just have to flip couple conditionals on the mechanics you already would have had to make for an average RPGs.

Examples:
Pronouns already have to be there if you can pick between man/woman.
Romance- just remove gender lock
Genitals, as they said, were already a switch in their in-house NPC creator (which is kinda weird to be honest), so they just gave it the to player.

You get all American critics sucking your dick for a week of easy work.

Last edited:

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom