Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Maybe the DOS games were best played in Co-op so you sped forward through all the nauseating dialogue and it didn't kill your brain.

:philosoraptor:

Perhaps I too will enjoy BG3 if I just spam the skip button and pretend the parasite is making me brain-damaged.

Perhaps if I pretend to be brain-damaged, I can enjoy modern games.
given the games you make, this really doesn't mean much. :|

I think this just makes what I said more hilarious.

1690084456496.png

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I've actually been having a blast prepping for this with DOS2. The Divinitiy Unleashed changes are quite congenial to me, and the amount of modding options from mod creators for classes and playstyles is breathtaking. Odinblade's are probably the most "pro" in terms of feel (even in terms of care re. icon creation/choice, to fit in with the house style - no small thing), but a lot of them are good, like the Weapon Expansion (Beta). It's particuarly good to have some new abilities from the mobs, having it cranked up to Tactician with a few tweaks to taste - there always seems to be something surprising happening, to which one has to adapt, good fun.

It seems like with that game, even though I didn't like the way it played on release, it's such a flexible and well-designed engine that you could probably build all sorts of weird and wonderful RPG systems on the framework.

This experience is giving me confidence in Larian again. They're like a more consistent and competent Piranha Bytes, they have that idiosyncratic feel, but I think their games are much more solidly made on a technical level than people give them credit for, if DOS2 is anything to go by. (In fact, it's still a reasonably lively modding scene even now, so I'm tempted to try my hand with a bit of modding for it.)

Anyway, barring all the woke crap (which is abominable but what can you do?), I am reminded why I liked DivDiv, the 3rd person dragon guy game, and DOS, and now this (although not the vanilla version, rather the product they've created that has such flexibility for modding and multiplayer) - Larian do get what's absorbing about RPGs in a lot of ways, they've been consistently faithful to a particular vision, and it's good to see that between DOS2 and Solasta, the idea of translating tabletop into a CRPG formate is alive and well and iterating along (in different ways - shame you can't have PWs, but at least you can have good multiplayer adventures).

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
My actual concern is this'll be another larian RPG that's fun early-midgane

This is still better than a lot of the shit that comes out.
More bargaining.

Bargaining about what? They made a thing. I paid them for it a few years ago and had a reasonably good time with the early access build. I still have fond memories of shoving Lae'zel off the side of the airship. Now I expect to have enough of a good time with it to make the purchase worth it to me whether I complete the game or not and whether I remember it in a year or not.

Zeriel

Arcane
Never forget this whig wearing sodomite wrote most of BG2:

unnamed.png

He was probably heavily censored. If given free reign today gay bear sex would probably be the least of our concerns.

Back then people like him censored themselves. They tried to blend in. That's all. I mean... even people who used to be "based" now cater to the mentally ill, so it is always about the consensus and the peer pressure to melt into the larger culture. When the larger culture is deranged, very few people will resist it.

Zeriel

Arcane
Not a fan of him but he just said there was nothing wrong with powergaming, kinda hard to disagree with that but you need +80 iq to separate the message from the messenger so I can understand why it’s difficult for some.
There is something wrong with power gaming. It encourages super niche builds where as, Josh says himself, he created some +12 initiative guy who specifically was from some dumb island or whatever. Or in Pillars, characters with Noble backgrounds where no nobility lives. Pillars is all about working backwards, fitting what is mechanically optimal to the race/background that creates that character. And it lead to dumb end results where the CYOA modules, the simulations of puttering around in the real world, don't line up with the stats that result in mechanically superior combat mechanics.

But Josh loves that quirky crap. He likes the kind of no fun allowed where his buddy wanted a charisma based fighter, and he discouraged him because it wasn't effective mechanically as the face of the party or in combat. Which when you think about it, most fighters/soldiers historically are extremely well-served by higher charisma. They're put into leadership positions, everyone likes them more, they're more likely to survive by having more buddies, etc. Mercenary captains and leaders of soldiers have always needed to be at least a little charismatic.

He does make good points about the motivation behind optimization. You do it because you don't know how hard the game is going to be, and you want your character to remain useful until the end. I never want to create some limp-wristed noodle who gets outpaced by party companions. That's lame. I want to create a character who would logically and realistically be the guy who leads a party to consistent glory.

Interestingly,the original, "this is just a wargame evolved" rulesets were better at addressing this than either the modern editions or Sawyer's retarded ideas.

In 1e and 2e you were supposed to have mediocre stats be the "norm", the game was not supposed to be balanced around 18s, and even if you thought your fighter sucked ass physically because he was charismatic... fighters get hirelings & entire kingdoms as you level up, so you could quite easily roleplay a popular but not amazing fighter who gets by as a leader rather than a wet works operative.

It's amusing to me that the games that were most closest to the number-crunching origin are the ones that are best focused on the actual roleplay part of the medium. Goddamn does this reality make me hate Sawyer even more. It comes back to the eternal conundrum: is he as fucking stupid as he appears, or is he just pretending?

Gradenmayer

Learned
We should make custom Codex campaign in BG3 where you have to survive waves of Druid-bears storming the castle to get your ass and the only way to kill them are bardic slurs.

You literally left me speechless with this gameplay video. Will fit right in with the current times, next to Wrath of the Tranny and Dragon Age: Bullrider. Obviously the game doesn't take itself seriously but it surely destroys my immersion.

I am perfectly fine having this cringe stuff in certain type of movies where it is enjoyable but NOT in my beloved Baldur's Gate!

It isn't that bad. Just like promotion materials said the game is bending around player. In fact, some companions want to stop you before opening these doors and are displeased when you do that. Also, acting silly is only an option.

You literally left me speechless with this gameplay video. Will fit right in with the current times, next to Wrath of the Tranny and Dragon Age: Bullrider. Obviously the game doesn't take itself seriously but it surely destroys my immersion.

I admit I did laugh at this when I played EA, but I blame the IPA I was thoroughly enjoying at the time.

The humour is a bit puerile but I'd certainly try not to let it ruin what otherwise looks to like a solid game and a rewarding experience to play. I suppose stuff like this is an attempt to mirror the kind of ridiculous nonsense you end up dealing with round the table in a TTRPG, but videos like that in this context make it look a little deranged.

Cringe gameplay for cringe players. Simple as it.

worst part of the video is the person rolls a '6' needing a 17 to succeed and then somehow with a bunch of gay zoomer 'don't make me cry' bonuses actually ends up overcoming the 17 challenge rating.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Ironically bg2 is both linear and simplistic compared to this. No skill or even attribute checks, railroaded plot with barely any c&c, npcs barely acknowledge your class, race or even gender.

Not even turn-based ITT. Even the fagfinder games far surpassed original trilogy in quality and depth.

I guess it comes down to nostalgia, aesthetics and hatred of faggotry basically(specially the latter)
Why "ironically"? It is universally accepted now that BG1&2 are decline.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Sawyer's retarded ideas
Yeah, ideas like "every ability stat should have a purpose for every class", which it does have.
The problem isn't the idea. Having a "strong wizard" (or a "warrior-mage") is an interesting concept. The problem lies in the execution of said idea. Trying to "keep it balanced" isn't going to help.
What's the problem with the execution exactly?

In my experience, every decision I make about a stat increase or decrease in Pillars has a cost and has an effect. That's not something that can be said for D&D 5th, nor 2nd edition when translated to a videogame, where you end up having "dump stats", and a rule of "don't set a stat to an odd number unless the next thing you will do at the first opportunity will be to increase it to an even number value".

D&D still has no-brainer decisions available, yet Pillars is the "retarded" system, how come? As someone who has played both a lot - Pillars' system requires more thought. On the other hand there's lots of posers parroting some uninformed opinion they read on the Codex and 4chan.

Let's pick "the right race", then "the right class" for said raice, or "one of the right classes", then set a dump stat to 8 in D&D, and voila - we've achieved the pinnacle of build strategy. Look how smart we are.

* I have my views about Pillars'/Deadfire's system's shortcomings as well, but that's for another post.

Last edited:

Saravan

Savant
Ironically bg2 is both linear and simplistic compared to this. No skill or even attribute checks, railroaded plot with barely any c&c, npcs barely acknowledge your class, race or even gender.

Not even turn-based ITT. Even the fagfinder games far surpassed original trilogy in quality and depth.

I guess it comes down to nostalgia, aesthetics and hatred of faggotry basically(specially the latter)
How far do you have to go back before games are not decline, if BG 1&2 are also that? Goldbox games? Sometimes it just sounds like you fags try to outcompete each other regarding how old school you pretend to be while like Fedora still end up gobbling up all the modern shit anyways ‘out of spite’ or some other cope excuse.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy

How far do you have to go back before games are not decline, if BG 1&2 are also that? Goldbox games? Sometimes it just sounds like you fags try to outcompete each other regarding how old school you pretend to be while like Fedora still end up gobbling up all the modern shit anyways ‘out of spite’ or some other cope excuse.
It's retarded revisionism that happens with every goddamn game here. Give it 5 more years and people will claim The Outer Worlds was actually good.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Yeah, I believe that's what he means by system - i.e. the various ways a player can interact with the game-world.

IMO it can be quite a big deal though, when it comes to changing the feel of gameplay decisions by a player. Most traditional CRPGs have very limited system interactivity - i.e. most of the choices you can make comes up in a dialogue box or prompt the developer has specifically laid out for you.
This leads to a situation where all your choices/decisions feel like a multiple choice quiz the dev is giving you.

Whereas in games like DOS, Deus Ex, Elder Scrolls etc because the additional systems are there, you can be more proactive with your choices and come out feeling like you actually thought of a solution as opposed to it being something 100% preplanned and presented to you by the Dev. Even if the devs totally planned for it
Yeah. This is also very akin to table top RPGs, at least the old school ones. While BG1&2 can be considered the antithesis of this system design. BG1&2 are more akin to visual novels, interrupted by combat sessions (that are 90% auto-played thanks to RTwP).

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
How far do you have to go back before games are not decline
Not that far. I'd say they are decline compared to Fallout/2 if what one is going for is reactivity to mechanics and story choice. Back in the day that was the comparison - BG vs Fallout, and initially most people were in the Fallout camp.

As for combat, I'm not decided on who gets the prize, because the goals are ultimately completely different. Fallout's goal is to emulate tabletop, whereas BG's combat seems to start with the same intention but ends up feeling like something of a gambling game - coin tossing, or slot machine. The player sits in front of the screen, rooting for his character to get the right RNG on its next swing, and the enemy to get the bad RNG on their next swing. Ironically RtwP combat in the BGs, as an experience, doesn't have much to do with tabletop D&D combat, as an experience.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet

Fallout?

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
It's retarded revisionism that happens with every goddamn game here. Give it 5 more years and people will claim The Outer Worlds was actually good.
Starfield will release soon, retroactively making Skyrim good. People will make videos of the things that Skyrim had, that Starfield doesn't. Maaaaan, the decline! Bethesda used to be good!

AwesomeButton

Patron

Let's pose the real questions:

1. What do "old-skool" "hardcore" "get off my lawn" "AD&D2 is da best" gorgnards say they want in their D&D cRPG adaptation - isn't it the closest-to-PnP experience possible?

2. Which is the better representation of the tabletop experience? BG1/2 or BG3? :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom