Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
you need +80 iq to separate the message from the messenger so I can understand why it’s difficult for some.

First I would need to know the message, and I'm not gonna waste my limited time on this earth, on listening to messages from a literal fucking retard Sawyer.
You sound like a guy who comments after just reading the headline of an article.
Him and Volo should get a room, make some retarded babies.

Kiste

Augur
What exactly is the difference between non-binary, gender non-conforming, and genderqueer?

Pizzashoes

Scholar
Not a fan of him but he just said there was nothing wrong with powergaming, kinda hard to disagree with that but you need +80 iq to separate the message from the messenger so I can understand why it’s difficult for some.
There is something wrong with power gaming. It encourages super niche builds where as, Josh says himself, he created some +12 initiative guy who specifically was from some dumb island or whatever. Or in Pillars, characters with Noble backgrounds where no nobility lives. Pillars is all about working backwards, fitting what is mechanically optimal to the race/background that creates that character. And it lead to dumb end results where the CYOA modules, the simulations of puttering around in the real world, don't line up with the stats that result in mechanically superior combat mechanics.

But Josh loves that quirky crap. He likes the kind of no fun allowed where his buddy wanted a charisma based fighter, and he discouraged him because it wasn't effective mechanically as the face of the party or in combat. Which when you think about it, most fighters/soldiers historically are extremely well-served by higher charisma. They're put into leadership positions, everyone likes them more, they're more likely to survive by having more buddies, etc. Mercenary captains and leaders of soldiers have always needed to be at least a little charismatic.

He does make good points about the motivation behind optimization. You do it because you don't know how hard the game is going to be, and you want your character to remain useful until the end. I never want to create some limp-wristed noodle who gets outpaced by party companions. That's lame. I want to create a character who would logically and realistically be the guy who leads a party to consistent glory.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The guy who tried to make actual muscle wizards a thing is an idiot. And, no, I don't mean a mage who is physically strong. I mean, a mage whose physical strength empowers his fukkin' spells. Its fukkin' retartet. And, no, don't defend it. That be retartet too.

The fact I got some enjoyment out of the PE series is a miracle. I think it happened IN SPITE OF Sawyer NOT BECAUSE OF Sawyer. :D

Don't forget about intelligence being one of the most important stats for a barbarian. Leading to hilarious sitations where in all the CYOA segments your nerdy wizard will be the one bending metal bars with his bare hands, while the barb will be a genius solving mathematical equations and deciphering arcane runes. Absolute fucking clown world, I hope Sawyer is never again allowed to work on any RPG game.
As Sawyer says, if you want to RP a dumb barbarian (like yourself), then don't give him high intelligence, i.e. if you wan't to roleplay - roleplay, if you want to minmax - minmax. Both builds work. You massive dumbfuck.

Saravan

Savant
Not a fan of him but he just said there was nothing wrong with powergaming, kinda hard to disagree with that but you need +80 iq to separate the message from the messenger so I can understand why it’s difficult for some.
There is something wrong with power gaming. It encourages super niche builds where as, Josh says himself, he created some +12 initiative guy who specifically was from some dumb island or whatever. Or in Pillars, characters with Noble backgrounds where no nobility lives. Pillars is all about working backwards, fitting what is mechanically optimal to the race/background that creates that character. And it lead to dumb end results where the CYOA modules, the simulations of puttering around in the real world, don't line up with the stats that result in mechanically superior combat mechanics.

But Josh loves that quirky crap. He likes the kind of no fun allowed where his buddy wanted a charisma based fighter, and he discouraged him because it wasn't effective mechanically as the face of the party or in combat. Which when you think about it, most fighters/soldiers historically are extremely well-served by higher charisma. They're put into leadership positions, everyone likes them more, they're more likely to survive by having more buddies, etc. Mercenary captains and leaders of soldiers have always needed to be at least a little charismatic.

He does make good points about the motivation behind optimization. You do it because you don't know how hard the game is going to be, and you want your character to remain useful until the end. I never want to create some limp-wristed noodle who gets outpaced by party companions. That's lame. I want to create a character who would logically and realistically be the guy who leads a party to consistent glory.
I mean in a video game powergaming or rather minmaxing is a necessity for challenging combat at higher difficulties. There has to be a threshold for optimal builds else no build choices end up mattering.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Or in Pillars, characters with Noble backgrounds where no nobility lives. Pillars is all about working backwards, fitting what is mechanically optimal to the race/background that creates that character.
There are enough threads for discussing Pillars, but one thing you can depend on in Pillars is that you must try really hard to make a build that "doesn't work". You don't need to optimize at all.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Josh endorses bear fucking

F1qvqUEWcAEgjaQ

:thumbsup:

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
Or in Pillars, characters with Noble backgrounds where no nobility lives. Pillars is all about working backwards, fitting what is mechanically optimal to the race/background that creates that character.
There are enough threads for discussing Pillars, but one thing you can depend on in Pillars is that you must try really hard to make a build that "doesn't work". You don't need to optimize at all.
That's not a positive. It only leads to picking the "least shit" options on level up, which isn't fun.

MasPingon

Arcane
What exactly is the difference between non-binary, gender non-conforming, and genderqueer?
Sounds like "fail sanity check 50/100/200 times" achievement. Judging by what I already saw in this thread sanity attribute could make this game fun. Like everytime you engage in consensual relationship with a bear or some other freaky shit, your sanity gets lower but your insight grows. So as you gain the knowladge of intersectional feminism, you can finally see the world as it is - sexist patriarchy ruled by straight white man repressing your double penetrated by some god forbidden creatures ass. Hope I didn't spoil the ending.

Last edited:

Pizzashoes

Scholar
I mean in a video game powergaming or rather minmaxing is a necessity for challenging combat at higher difficulties. There has to be a threshold for optimal builds else no build choices end up mattering.
There are tradeoffs obviously because it's a game and there's always going to be best ways to solve constraints regardless of how anyone feels about it. But how you feel it about it is important because it's a fantasy game. The optimal builds are just based on the arbitrary constraints of the game. That's the two competing forces. But creating characters more further grounded in reality and then beating the game properly within those constraints is way more interesting.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
All this said, 5e isn't particularly deep anyway because your build is 80% locked in by level 3 when you pick a subclass. Then it's just a matter of picking feats that complement your choice of weapons, with some being miles ahead of others, like Polearms and Rapiers.

Saravan

Savant
There are tradeoffs obviously because it's a game and there's always going to be best ways to solve constraints regardless of how anyone feels about it. But how you feel it about it is important because it's a fantasy game. The optimal builds are just based on the arbitrary constraints of the game. That's the two competing forces. But creating characters more further grounded in reality and then beating the game properly within those constraints is way more interesting.
I agree but that’s difficult to design in a game. Anyways I’m not optimistic about BG3 being challenging at all nor requiring any interesting minmaxing due to a combination of the game being made by Larian and based on 5e and that’s is likely going to fundamentally be the reason why the game feels boring to play.

mondblut

Arcane

Coming from the mouth of a designer of the "there are no wrong builds in muh game" fame, it's less of "separating the message from the messenger" and more of "physician, heal thyself".

Saravan

Savant

Coming from the mouth of a designer of the "there are no wrong builds in muh game" fame, it's less of "separating the message from the messenger" and more of "physician, heal thyself".
I don’t give a shit I focused on what he said in this particular video and that was powergaming is good in video games and I agree with that statement.

Reality

Learned
My actual concern is this'll be another larian RPG that's fun early-midgane and then pointlessly easy lategame --- I think of Original Sin 1 once you get the expert skills , or Original Sin 2 once you have beaten the cooldowns (source skills themselves are whatever)

Having a whole tadpole skill tree is the main red flag concern and I worry that once you beat act 1 and half act 2 you get into " awesome button" hard CC area of effect for every fight for rest of game (prob 4 acts total again)

Maybe the DOS games were best played in Co-op so you sped forward through all the nauseating dialogue and it didn't kill your brain.

:philosoraptor:

Perhaps I too will enjoy BG3 if I just spam the skip button and pretend the parasite is making me brain-damaged.

Perhaps if I pretend to be brain-damaged, I can enjoy modern games.
given the games you make, this really doesn't mean much. :|

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

All this said, 5e isn't particularly deep anyway because your build is 80% locked in by level 3 when you pick a subclass. Then it's just a matter of picking feats that complement your choice of weapons, with some being miles ahead of others, like Polearms and Rapiers.
In term of rules D&D 5th is way too much simplified and often offer some dynamism but is very limited compared for example with a Pathfinder2e

Harthwain

Magister
My actual concern is this'll be another larian RPG that's fun early-midgane and then pointlessly easy lategame --- I think of Original Sin 1 once you get the expert skills , or Original Sin 2 once you have beaten the cooldowns (source skills themselves are whatever)

Having a whole tadpole skill tree is the main red flag concern and I worry that once you beat act 1 and half act 2 you get into " awesome button" hard CC area of effect for every fight for rest of game (prob 4 acts total again)
That's the problem of combining the difficulty, specific builds and encounters in one big mix. In many games you tend to struggle early on, then you stabilize and once you stabilize it gets (too) easy. But if you fail to get a good (enough) strategy going, you might fail to stabilize and claim the game is too hard. I have seen this a bunch of times. It is also difficult to balance multiple difficulties across the board.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I have not been following BG3 news for months. Here's what I learned by reading this thread over last several days:
- no day-night cycle
I guess "day-night cycle" is the new "TB combat" and "choice and consequences" on Codex in current year.
It was implemented in Ultima 7 released in 1992.
A day-night cycle was implemented in Faery Tale Adventure, an Open World RPG created by one person in seven months in 1986, on a new type of computer released late the previous year.

4M1Dsfh.jpg

8utYSx5.jpg

xCK4nUI.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom