Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
That earlier interview. L0L More evidence that Larian doesn't know or like the BGs. He doesn't know the difference between Baldur's Gate and Athkatla. What a fukkface. He also admits he feels the need to dumb things down when players don't play the way he wants them to. But.. the game is supposed to be about choices... but they take choices away when players pick the 'wrong' choice. Pathetic.

And, the arogance? pretending they are the only ones making isometric/3rd person crpgs. Hellow, Pathfinder and Solasta. Idiots.

" First of all, it was the first adaptation of a Dungeons and Dragons game at that time. "

Why is he so fukkin' ignorant?

"Ironically bg2 is both linear and simplistic compared to this. No skill or even attribute checks, railroaded plot with barely any c&c, npcs barely acknowledge your class, race or even gender."

BG2 has lots of c&c. Stop lying. True about lack of skill/atrribute checks. Dude, gender has more affect in bg2 than bg3. FFS It determines who you can fuck. In BG3 you can fuck anything on 2 OR 4 legs no matter your race or gender. Talka bout gender not mattering.

"But BG2 does have a day-night cycle. That's all that matters. Apparently."

Makes sense. Adds a lot to the game even in the basic way BG series handled it. Imagine how vampires would have been in bg2 with no day/night cycle yet bg3 has a vampire party member. L0L
You're right but your gimmick of posting like a retarded 12 year old girl is still cringe

Barbarian

Arcane
If anyone is looking into absolutely broken builds in 5e, it'll probably be within the abhorrent CHA triangle of paladin, sorcerer and hexblade warlock.

CHA classes are so broken in 5e it's laughable.

Just like in real life, attractive people are better than everyone else.
Hexblade is not in the game, barring some last-minute surprise.

It kind of is. Its most important ability has been moved into Pact of the Blade. So the pallylock stupidity is very much alive.
Ah, I didn't realize. RIP then, pure-class warlocks.

To be fair, pure warlocks are just different flavors of being an Eldritch Blast bot.

It's a testament to how poor WoTC builds classes, and how overpowered EB is, that an entire class can still be considered a top-tier damage dealer just off one basic cantrip.

ITT, it is indeed amazing how shitty D&D is becoming while Pathfinder does what it should be doing.

Both are woke, but at least Paizo still strives to make entertaining builds and dice rolls.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
ITT, it is indeed amazing how shitty D&D is becoming while Pathfinder does what it should be doing.

Both are woke, but at least Paizo still strives to make entertaining builds and dice rolls.

Throw both in the trash. They're thoroughly mainstream corporate products now.

I mean, just look at the video game adaptations. It's over.

Herumor

Scholar
You'll never go back in time to show young Swen how awesome Dark Sun is, so 30 years later he could make a AAA budget sequel to Wake of the Ravager

feelsbadman
Dark Sun is very dear to my heart and I absolutely do not want Larian anywhere near it. Hell, I don't want WotC anywhere near the IP, let them forget it exists. They already rambled something about how it's a problematic setting because it has tyrants openly ruling the city-states and that there's bigotry and slavery and other things like that.

Shaki

Arbiter

And it's one of the main reason why I think BG3 will be shit. Shitty writing, faggotry and Dragon Age aesthetics are one thing, but you can't build a decent turn based combat based on the garbage system that is 5E, Solasta already proven that - and adding Larian's barrelmancy to an already dogshit system can't result in anything else but a trainwreck. I'm 100% convinced you'll be able to find multiple ways to cheese and completely trivialize combat in less than 10 hours, then the only thing left to do is to enjoy 74 hours of cinematics cutscenes with Larian writing. Sounds worse than waterboarding.

notpl

Arbiter
If 5E is garbage, why is everyone taking it instead of 2E? and by everyone I mean the developers.
I don't believe Wizards of the Coast licenses past-versions of their game system for official products. You have to use the new shit, so that they can sell more of it.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
I like the arguments that all the weird scenes are just jokes and shouldn't be taken seriously. Do they pass for humour to some?
Belgians are not a humorous race.
What do you mean? They got +2/+1 like everyone else?
Name one funny Belgian.
Granted, if you're American you couldn't name a single funny European but this is a challenge to all my Eurobros in here.
Even the Dutch make some good jokes once in a while. Even the French can manage. Belgians? Silch.

Ryzer

Arcane
I like the arguments that all the weird scenes are just jokes and shouldn't be taken seriously. Do they pass for humour to some?
Belgians are not a humorous race.
What do you mean? They got +2/+1 like everyone else?
Name one funny Belgian.
Granted, if you're American you couldn't name a single funny European but this is a challenge to all my Eurobros in here.
Even the Dutch make some good jokes once in a while. Even the French can manage. Belgians? Silch.
François Damiens.

They all speak French, though.
The germanized Belgians known as Flemish can't into humor. I blame Germany for it.

Zeriel

Arcane
Let's call it a sequel, although I would say it's more of a continuation of the world. Yes, it's a continuation of the world, not a direct sequel. So the world is influenced by what happened in BG1 and 2, so you will see more than you expect, you will see the dramatic consequences of all the things that happened (especially with Sarevok)
You'll meet characters like Jaheira, for example, who has a complicated history. You'll meet her children. Jaheira is now older and wondering: "Should I stop seeking adventure, is this lifestyle for me; who can bear it?". She had a friend who passed away.

It's nice to see that they're doing some shit with old story elements, at least on paper. They still might fuck it up, lol. As time went on this game turned for me from "why is this called BG3?" to "why is this called BG3, but at least there are some thematic connections".

edit: fuck Minsc tho

I actually kinda wish they kept it at armslength rather than having granular details like this. The problem with it is that it betrays the many choices the player had in the original games; whereas if you keep things vague or use "there are rumors and innuendo" excuse, you let the player preserve their vision of things.

Zeriel

Arcane
"Midcore" is a funny term but it describes something real.

Let's say you're a moderately plugged in gamer who has time to play one big turn-based RPG a year. You have to choose one. Larian have become very good at making the game that gets chosen by such people.
I keep thinking about old school fans that have jobs and kids now and no longer the time or energy to devote all their time to gaming. I heard the same take constantly with regard to D2 fans that were expected to return to D4.

The problem is such games are typically shit as was the case for D4. I got kids and I definitely do not want games to be designed around my schedule instead of the nolifers, they end up just being streamlined garbage.

The issue is everyone's life situation changes. Sure, at some point you have a job and kids and don't have time to invest in a 100 hour epic. But there was a time when you had just a job and no family and could give 4 hours a day. And there will come a time when you are retired and the kids are off to college and you can once again invest 10~ hours a day. As a business model, time spent may be worth considering as a market, but for an individual as a player, if a game is good but requires some time investment, there will come a time in your life when you can return to it and enjoy it. If it's just casual trash designed to be completed in 5 minute coffee breaks, it will never be good. A shit disposable game remains as such forever.

mondblut

Arcane
If 5E is garbage, why is everyone taking it instead of 2E? and by everyone I mean the developers.
Afaik, WotC refuses to license old editions, if you want to make a DnD based game, you have to use whatever newest dogshit they cooked.

There's plenty of OSR systems that are 1E/2E in all but a name, but they don't come with a brand name that attracts millions of critical role / very strange things sheeple.

Don't hate the game, hate the player.

I just hope someday we'll get another MTG to kill this hobby for a mass retard once more.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
Afaik, WotC refuses to license old editions, if you want to make a DnD based game, you have to use whatever newest dogshit they cooked.

There's plenty of OSR systems that are 1E/2E in all but a name, but they don't come with a brand name that attracts millions of critical role / very strange things sheeple.

No no no you got this all wrong. I've been told that Larian are VERY BIG FANS of the original Baldur's Gate (It was the first DnD adaption on PC after all) and they really want to tell the story of... something something.

Gradenmayer

Learned
Wonder if shadow monk will actually get shadow-to-shadow teleport mechanics. And if so, can they teleport into enemy’s shadow? That might be fun, considering they also, probably, get the buff to ki pool.

mondblut

Arcane

No no no you got this all wrong. I've been told that Larian are VERY BIG FANS of the original Baldur's Gate (It was the first DnD adaption on PC after all) and they really want to tell the story of... something something.

Point is, it doesn't matter whether 5e is a "good" or "bad" system (frankly, idk what even makes a system "good" or "bad"). What matters is that it managed to attract all the wrong kinds of people, and no system can fix that. If you're making money off their backs, well, good for you. I don't, so I'd rather dissociate from that hobby entirely than rub my shoulders with those freaks.

Make nerds shunned again!

Terra

Cipher
Haven't been keeping up with BG3, but have they actually brought back characters from the past games and presumably just ignored their endings in BG/ToB? Like I recall Vic could be either alive, dead or your chief cleric or somesuch, has all that just been overuled by Larian for a bunch of the old cast?

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
Bear4.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom