Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
So, is it a Larian game with DnD influences, or a DnD game with Larian influences? I intend to wait for a sale anyway, but if it's just reskinned Divinity, then maybe it's worth a skip.
The only honest answer I can give you is that in EA it did feel like a Divinity derivative that implemented D&D. The armor/shield system is obviously not there, but you can definitely feel its DNA.

How will it turn out for full release? No one knows. The media is already selling it as the best RPG of the decade, while others are already calling it a blight on the genre. The game isn't out for another week and a half, any opinion you hear about the final product needs to be taken with a metric ton of salt.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
The media is already selling it as the best RPG of the decade, while others are already calling it a blight on the genre.
Same song with every major game
Yeah but BG3 will actually be the new standard for RPG's though.
Looks good so far but until most of us have actually played it, the jury is still out. The end game could suck massively, the story could be terrible, the writing could be retarded. This is Larian after all

Incendax

Augur
So, is it a Larian game with DnD influences, or a DnD game with Larian influences? I intend to wait for a sale anyway, but if it's just reskinned Divinity, then maybe it's worth a skip.
Used to be the former, now it's the latter.

Incendax

Augur
Really you think 5E is inferior to DOS2's abominable combat system? Are you high?
5E spellcasters are fine, but 5E martials are mostly just boring autoattacks. Anything is better than that, and even Larian thought it was so boring they added a few weapon maneuvers ala 4E.

Last edited:

Larianshill

Arbiter
I've spent a lot of time thinking about it, and I'm still torn between dwarf bard and dwarf paladin. My heart says paladin, but my brain says bard.

Incendax

Augur
My dick says paladin.

y25115y5xidb1.jpg

HammyTheFat

Scholar
We are on the road to page 1000.

Late Bloomer ( :obviously: ) hasn't posted in a bit. His next collection of thirstposts may put us over the top.

The most impactful moment for me was when you walk into demon’s den as Lohse and it shows you one candle per room with stolen soul, that you snuff out to make the demon weaker, only for you to walk into the last room that has hundreds of them.
And now with a picture:
oN2UXp7.jpg

Can you just cast the rainfall spell in there?
Yep, you can snuff them all out with rain.
I don't think I ever did Lohse's quest. Now I have to replay DOS2.

Is there a bonus for fighting the demon and not snuffing out ANY candles?

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

Barbarian

Arcane
Really you think 5E is inferior to DOS2's abominable combat system? Are you high?
5E spellcasters are fine, but 5E martials are mostly just boring autoattacks. Anything is better than that, and even Larian thought it was so boring they added a few weapon maneuvers ala 4E.

Will weapon maneuvers even make sense when you can just boink stuff 9 times per round as a hasted fighter?

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
I'm probably going to try goolock first because I'm curious to see how they implement a great old one patron, especially since they suggested there would be some sort of patron interactions, although I suspect that fiendlock will end up better fleshed out in that regard

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom