Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 hate thread

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Guys idk where to post it, but today's larian cult meeting is postponed to monday evening. Sorry for the inconvenience, fellow cultists
And now what am I supposed to do with the 2.000 barrels I bought for the meeting?!

Goldschmidt

Learned
We all love the BG series and we will love how it will be popamoled by Larian to the extreme. We will be forced to love it like forcefully putting a spiked dildo straight up the ass.

Nonetheless we will throw our dices and swing our sword, axe or mace! We will hack our way through the hordes of the underdark. We will 'play' our harp like a true bard's tale! We will laugh with the fat goblin jokes. We will rescue grannies lost cat. We will dress like Gandalf the Grey and pop corny oneliners when slaying an enemy. We will have hot steamy witcher-sex with drow elves, mindflayers and mushrooms alike, all turn based. One step at a time so that our slow nerdy brains can process the moment in all its glory!

Myself I'll put a big poster of Swens smugface above my bedroom and call it a job well done.

BG 3 will become the crown jewel of rpg's, dethroning the holy kodex triumvirate Planescape Torment - Fallout - Arcanum forever. Swen will not stop until every kodexer is turned into a willingful cultfollower.

smugface.png

Polyphemus

Educated
Could someone point me towards those FO:NV hate megathreads with people bitching that it's just FO3:2, has nothing in common with originals (3D FPP instead of iso, RTWG* instead TB) and that the mechanics is (that time actually true) decline from FO1&2?

Or is it just that we don't have those threads for FO:NV, with the sole reason we do have them for BG3 being that BG fans, and RTWP fans specifically, are whiny turds?
People were really upset about Fallout going 3D/first person, and it's understandable that they were. But F:NV wasn't the first game to do that, and its stellar writing saved it. BG3 is a Larian game so we know the writing will be serviceable at best. I strongly prefer TB to RTwP though.

TheGameSquid

Scholar
So this is where all the butthurt RTwP fans are hiding!

Listen, I think we can all agree that BGIII will be quite different from the BioWare games. That much is obvious. And I think that it would be fairly difficult to expect a game in the exact same vein as BG1/2 in 2020. That's precisely what POE1 did, and look where that got us.

Personally, I'm ok with BGIII being a bit different because:
  1. The Bhaalspawn Saga was wrapped up 15+ years ago. Whatever Larian ends up making, it will not taint the original storyline, because the original story is over.
  2. Larian still seems focused on building a genuine RPG. This is not a Dark Alliance game or what have you.
My question to the residents of this thread would be: which developer would you actually trust with making a third Baldur's Gate game?

(I do understand the concerns about the writing, but it's pretty hard to judge that right now...)

Akachi

Educated
My question to the residents of this thread would be: which developer would you actually trust with making a third Baldur's Gate game?
None, because any team that could be trusted to would be better off establishing their own brand, instead of building up WotC's IP and relying on the reputation of Baldur's Gate to sell to the new masses of 5e "fans" who only watch TTRPGs on YouTube, and who see a CRPG as their only opportunity to play (because they're too lazy and inept to actually play tabletop games with friends).

If it wasn't called BG3, no one would care nearly as much outside of places like this, and the kind of people who like games such as BG1&2 would probably be more interested from not judging it in the lens of the originals, but we're not the crowd they have to try to get the attention of in the first place. Same reason Hollywood pumps out mediocre sequels to old movies that have nothing to do with the original.

There is no reason for a BG3 to even exist all these years later except for people having a preference for familiarity (i.e, a marketing decision), and most people into CRPGs have at least heard of BG and have a positive association with its name, even if the people who will have actually played 1&2 will be a minority. A CRPG trying to be faithful to its tabletop roots today can only be worse off if it's made by a team trying to appeal to WotC's current audience, since anything that goes well is in spite of that.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So this is where all the butthurt RTwP fans are hiding!

Listen, I think we can all agree that BGIII will be quite different from the BioWare games. That much is obvious. And I think that it would be fairly difficult to expect a game in the exact same vein as BG1/2 in 2020. That's precisely what POE1 did, and look where that got us.

Personally, I'm ok with BGIII being a bit different because:
  1. The Bhaalspawn Saga was wrapped up 15+ years ago. Whatever Larian ends up making, it will not taint the original storyline, because the original story is over.
  2. Larian still seems focused on building a genuine RPG. This is not a Dark Alliance game or what have you.

(I do understand the concerns about the writing, but it's pretty hard to judge that right now...)

If the Bhalspawn saga was wrapped up 15 years ago, why are they calling it BG3?. Why are we in a position to ask who should make a BG3?.

Larian/the publisher is using the title and the IP to stand on the shoulders of the first two games. That's what irritates on fans like me. They should have just used a different title.

Also, (not sure about this) but isn't it tied in some way to the Descent Into Avernus campaign? And isn't that something to do with Bhaal? So if they're using that backstory/IP as well, then they're also benefitting from the creative talent of the writers from the first two games (who created the whole Bhaal backstory, not the avernus stuff) and we all know Larian's writers arn't at that level.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Can someone give me a brief summary on why this game is going to be shit and deserves the righteous wrath of the fair 'dex?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom