Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Regarding the whole motion capture and all the details they put on characters. I won't be surprised if the end result will be something like this:

I saw this game and thought the same thing

I don't want to watch a short film every time I give an order. I'm not sure why nobody gets that.

of course the devs will allow you to disable the camera zooming in

Sentinel

Arcane
Regarding the whole motion capture and all the details they put on characters. I won't be surprised if the end result will be something like this:

I don't want to watch a short film every time I give an order. I'm not sure why nobody gets that.

of course the devs will allow you to disable the camera zooming in

...rendering their hundreds of hours of mocap worthless

itz gonna be card system

Honestly I was referring to the Gold Box games which were released in mid-late 1980s?

bFgk8Ci.png

Gateway to Apshai, a 1983 RT RPG running on an actual toaster. And it didn't even have a pause, which by your standards is even more progress, right?[/QUOTE]

exactly. No pause means the super quantum C64 computer chip which we have forgot how to build now did not even have time to catch up to the mathematical calculations and physics going as the player played and the game progressed.

It had to do it all on the fly. I remember on those cold days back in 1984 in the bay area in my drafty house I could keep my cup of hot chocolate warm by placing it on the keyboard/computer terminal of the c64 as it worked at break neck speed to keep up with me playing Gateway to Apshai. Unfortunately that was a bad design, and I ended up spilling the drink inside the C64..but 2 weeks later after it dried out it worked again, even with a colony of fucking ants living in it..fucking epic.

Is codex cool with 5e? Last time I brought it up it was like heresy.
Of course not ! Codex is only officialy cool with 2E and disgruntedly maybe 3.5 pathfinder, especially amongst those who never had a group . Playing said systems is not mandatory to express loudly an opinion of course. I played pretty much everything , i appreciate 5e as being back to the roots if not flawless yet.
1st edition AD&D is actually my favorite.

Mortmal

Arcane
Of course not ! Codex is only officialy cool with 2E and disgruntedly maybe 3.5 pathfinder, especially amongst those who never had a group . Playing said systems is not mandatory to express loudly an opinion of course. I played pretty much everything , i appreciate 5e as being back to the roots if not flawless yet.
For mostalgia sake or there's Something in the mechanics missing in latest version ? I cant see anything you could do in first edition that you cant in 5E, except putting women back to the kitchen of course.

Sacibengala

Prophet
I'm into the OSE version of B/X these days.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
2nd Edition AD&D had the best art, the best Monster Manual, the best Player Handbooks, the best balance of classes, the best level of difficulty. It is the best DnD.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
2nd Edition AD&D had the best art, the best Monster Manual, the best Player Handbooks, the best balance of classes, the best level of difficulty. It is the best DnD.

But, muh video games bro, hence, 3rd edition, which ruined every uniqueness among the classes and races in favor of "customization" and "balance", shit that only matters in video games and it's debatable even there.

Fill me in, i bet 5th edition tripled down with that shit so now we have drow druids and illithid paladins, amrite?

"Like, what if a baby illithid was raised by a human? It can happen you know, who says only the latter get to be paladins lmao"

Every retard's argument ever.

But, muh video games bro, hence, 3rd edition, which ruined every uniqueness among the classes and races in favor of "customization" and "balance", shit that only matters in video games and it's debatable even there.

Fill me in, i bet 5th edition tripled down with that shit so now we have drow druids and illithid paladins, amrite?

"Like, what if a baby illithid was raised by a human? It can happen you know, who says only the latter get to be paladins lmao"

thats why I liked 1st edition. The limitations. Limitations create more meaningful choices to me than endless choices.

Limitations, and the general lower scale feel to everything.

The most fun I seem to have any most any game is the ist 1/3ed of the game..the longer it goes, the more unbalanced and over powered and stupid it gets. This seems to go for RPG's, to Games like Master of Orion, to Panzer General.

A game like Jagged Alliance did not really have this issue because there was way less power creep, which was ultimately for the better. There was some, but it was limited.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Lower scale feel is one of the things that i liked about BG1. Can't have that in the post-Diablows age though. Imagine making a game where after 100 hours you end up at level 7 lmao.

Sacibengala

Prophet
Lower scale feel is one of the things that i liked about BG1. Can't have that in the post-Diablows age though. Imagine making a game where after 100 hours you end up at level 7 lmao.
Old school dnd is all about the journey, not the character. The acomplishments are not on the sheet but in the adventure. And could be measured by the items you got. The problems with the new editions are exactly that you become invincible in no time and the adventures means little to nothing as the objective is only to get more and more power. That being said, BG1 is a great exampel of oldschool dnd in crpg form, not because the rules, but because of that feeling.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
The reason the higher levels worked in BGII is because it was a continuation from BG 1. I always felt this was a really good way to stretch out leveling, instead of taking the easy way out (e.g. in the sequel, everyone starts at level 1 for some fucking reason, but whatever). But, I will agree that by the time Throne of Bhaal gets going, the high level class abilities were fucking game breaking. Greater Deathblow, Use Any Item, and Assassination were fucking cheese supreme.

Old school dnd is all about the journey, not the character. The acomplishments are not on the sheet but in the adventure. And could be measured by the items you got. The problems with the new editions are exactly that you become invincible in no time and the adventures means little to nothing as the objective is only to get more and more power. That being said, BG1 is a great exampel of oldschool dnd in crpg form, not because the rules, but because of that feeling.
yes I enjoy BG1 more than BG2. in fact i never finished Bg2 for this reason and never attempted to play ToB.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

I miss the old school items like the deck of many things where you really had to ask yourself if you wanted to draw a card or not. You could be fabulously rewarded... or just randomly die. That sense of danger and gambling even with your loot is sorely missing now since everyone's the epic hero of their own story instead of some pleb who managed to survive long enough to have really dangerous magic items.

J1M

Arcane

The people in charge of the decisions don't enjoy or understand the genre they are marketing.

Harthwain

Magister
It is not "a short film". It's literally a camera zooming in during an attack animation. XCOM: Enemy Unknown had options where you could disable things such as an action camera, so I am sure people who don't like it won't have to watch it.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

I miss the old school items like the deck of many things where you really had to ask yourself if you wanted to draw a card or not. You could be fabulously rewarded... or just randomly die. That sense of danger and gambling even with your loot is sorely missing now since everyone's the epic hero of their own story instead of some pleb who managed to survive long enough to have really dangerous magic items.

Has deck of many things ever been taken out of D&D? It's notorious in 5e.

The wheels of industry e'er turn,
Larian's ward hath come.
Crossroad of past, present, and future,
The one unfoeseen, the one not foretold.

That which hath past is ne'er truly gone,
History repeats, though mortals choose not to see.
Streamlining and decline be not new to the Realms,
A game that once hath been may be once again.

Fans march and developers burn,
The forums froth with tainted words.
The corpses of games born not innocent,
feed the inferno of RPGCodex.

Will Gamers be decieved,
with 5th Edition led down a false path,
A hidden traitor lurks in thy forum.
The servant of Larian knows business and deals,
The face of an ally,
or the mask of a foe!

The Posters of The Codex bring shitposts to the land,
They slaughter each other, and feed their agnst.
Pessimism and betrayal walk together,
A river of tainted hope doth not cleanse.

The storm approaches; we wait no more.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
I can't wait until tomorrow. When all the people who don't even care about the game that much come into this thread and tell the actual fans who have been here the whole time what is and isn't a big deal.

"the actual fans" :roll:

Wait. You can see my messages? I thought your soft ass put me on ignore? Never mind. I knew you could see my messages because my feed is filled with your salty ass rating every single message I've ever put out as retarded.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom