Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Xzar

Augur
Types of Pro-DOS commenters

Pro-DOS strongmen.
Modus operandi: brutal domination.
Rhetoric: yes, this is DOS3, pledge your allegiance to your new overlords, BG plebs.

Pro-DOS diplomats.
MO: pacification
Rhetoric: the form is not final, wait for something to change, wait for EA/release/patch/EE/sequel.

Pro-DOS infantry.
MO: making it all about TB vs RTWP
Rhetoric: TB is good, RTWP is bad, who cares about story and tone.

Pro-DOS clerics.
MO: religious indoctrination
Rhetoric: come brothers and sisters, enjoy these rabbits, squirrels and rainbows we're offering. Lighthearted approach is almost upon us.

Pro-DOS merchants.
MO: property rights
Rhetoric: WotC says this is BG3, that's why this is BG3

Sent from my NX551J using Tapatalk

Ausdoerrt

Augur
That alone makes you sound like you didn't really play the games tbh
I started D:OS twice but lost interest completely in the middle of chapter 2 both times. Never got to the D:OS 2.

I planned to make third attempt soon, but replaying BG with new mod setup + Slay the Spire (crazy addictive) turned out to be more attractive.
So you basically played one chapter of the first game, and none of the second. And are trying to judge them based on whatever.

That's pretty stupid. Imagine trying to judge the entirety of Baldur's Gate saga based on the first chapter of the first game.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
So what does everyone think of the 4 person party. I think it's great that we're not going to be bogged down with too much. Wouldn't want the game to be too Chaotic. Or differ too much from DOS2.
I'm glad it doesn't have cuck relationships like PFK where the orc asks you watch him fuck his elf girlfriend
Think again. Githyanki all like to cuck each other. And one of them is a romance option in this game.
Are you actually comparing a supposed romance where the member of an alien race doesn't expect an exclusive relationship from the MC because her society doesn't do exclusive relationships to a romance, currently existing in Kingmaker, where you go through a love triangle for more than half the game?

If you have the guts to say that the gith romance that is going to end western civilization is the same as the MC-octavia-regongar romance, you are hopless.

Daidre

Arcane
So you basically played one chapter of the first game, and none of the second. And are trying to judge them based on whatever.

Because it is not D:OS I judge but BG 3 and what I have seen about it already. Right now my judgement is : "Maybe one day, when EE is out".
I played D:OS for 70 hours in 2 incomplete runs, I think it enough time to figure out that I am not going to fangirl over this game.

What surprises me the most is that Lacrymas by his own admission never liked any D:OS enough to complete them at least once (!). But no one argues over his right to be excited over D:OS BG 3. I do not know whether it is optimism, ignorance or something else.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
, where you go through a love triangle for more than half the game?
It's totally the same ok
W8MH9uB.jpg

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
What surprises me the most is that Lacrymas by his own admission never liked any D:OS enough to complete them at least once (!). But no one argues over his right to be excited over D:OS BG 3. I do not know whether it is optimism, ignorance or something else.
You keep operating on the idea that this is just like D:OS2 and nothing has changed, we are just excited about it being named BG3. But this is not true as has been pointed out already. I'm not into D:OS1 and 2 because of the random items killing exploration, the armor system and initiative in D:OS2, getting repetitive and rote after Cyseal, the over-reliance on environmental interactions, etc. None of this will be in BG3, they replaced the combat system with one which is at least functional (it's D&D even if 5E isn't as good as 3.5), there are no random items, physical feats are added, skill checks are common, etc. This is not baseless optimism, we have seen how the game's bones function and I'm satisfied for now, what they need to do is concentrate on encounter design and exploration, and I'm gonna like it. I am at heart a combatfag and there is little that can disturb me if the combat is good.

DraQ

Arcane

Pro-DOS strongmen.
Rhetoric: yes, this is DOS3, pledge your allegiance to your new overlords, BG plebs.

Pro-DOS diplomats.
Rhetoric: the form is not final, wait for something to change, wait for EA/release/patch/EE/sequel.

Pro-DOS infantry.

Pro-DOS clerics.
Rhetoric: come brothers and sisters, enjoy these rabbits, squirrels and rainbows we're offering. Lighthearted approach is almost upon us.

Pro-DOS merchants.

It must suck to be an anti-DOS gibberling then.
Especially if you don't have the numbers.

Daidre

Arcane
This is not baseless optimism, we have seen how the game's bones function and I'm satisfied for now, what they need to do is concentrate on encounter design and exploration, and I'm gonna like it. I am at heart a combatfag and there is little that can disturb me if the combat is good.
Well, when I try to run my risk-assessment algorithm over this claim I see mostly 2 issues:
1) D&D's 5ed is simplified and streamlined version of my favorite 3.5. There are could be not enough D&D left when Swen is done with his own round of simplifying.
2) Larian seem to be very focused on the whole cinematic thing with animations and long full voiced close-up dialogues. So they may decide that there is a need for lot of them. In each dungeon, before and after each major decision, to show off all fancy reactivity they wrote for each pre-made char.
(This soured me toward Deadfire - I loved system and itemization, but there were just not enough good old dungeon-adventuring to have between all inane writing in horrifying quantities).

I could be wrong, of course.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
PoE RTwP is OK. I'd rather play that than TB D:OS. TB gameplay puts me in the halt after some time.
PoE or D:OS is a difficult decision to make for me right now, but the fact is that I've played PoE about 300 hours and D:OS no more than 50.

Kingmaker beats PoE any day of course.
How the fuck didn't you kill yourself?
I wanted to be really sure it's as shit as it felt during the first backer beta, in spite of what many were claiming.

In the IE games, the nice RTwP flow was the result of the personal initiative round, which didn't differ that much and that often between characters, as recovery times differed between characters in PoE/Deadfire, due to Sawyer needing to fine grain things very much in order to give some meaning to his rich array of abilities. The other factor, counterintuitively, is the lack of all the active abilities which PoE/Deadfire have. Combat flow in the IE games was more even and was less interrupted by pausing compared to that in the PoE/Deadfire, which resulted in the overall feeling of... fun combat. The average real time length of a combat encounter in Deadfire is significantly greater than the average trash combat in the IE games, because in the IE games you do less pausing. At least that's my experience and conclusion.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
So what does everyone think of the 4 person party. I think it's great that we're not going to be bogged down with too much. Wouldn't want the game to be too Chaotic. Or differ too much from DOS2.
I'm glad it doesn't have cuck relationships like PFK where the orc asks you watch him fuck his elf girlfriend
Think again. Githyanki all like to cuck each other. And one of them is a romance option in this game.
Are you actually comparing a supposed romance where the member of an alien race doesn't expect an exclusive relationship from the MC because her society doesn't do exclusive relationships to a romance, currently existing in Kingmaker, where you go through a love triangle for more than half the game?

If you have the guts to say that the gith romance that is going to end western civilization is the same as the MC-octavia-regongar romance, you are hopless.
Cucked is cucked. At least Octavia is somewhat attractive so you're getting something out of the cuck. I would not let a Gith cuck me

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler

Pro-DOS strongmen.

Pro-DOS diplomats.

Pro-DOS infantry.

Pro-DOS clerics.

Pro-DOS merchants.

Now do one for anti-DOS.

Saravan

Savant

Cucked is cucked. At least Octavia is somewhat attractive so you're getting something out of the cuck. I would not let a Gith cuck me

Holy shit it's a fucking video game character, do you also sleep with a hentai pillow?

Mazisky

Magister
No day\night cycle confirmed by the devs, because "it will conflict with multiplayer".

They wanna create a believable world, the best Crpg ever, 300 people and they cannot even afford a day night cycle which almost the totality of the classic rpgs of the last 20 years had.

I really hope this game fails along with Larian.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom