Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Herumor

Scholar

Pillars of Eternity committed the cardinal sin of cRPGs: it didn't know how to tell a story. For me, that's a big thing. Yes, obviously, there's good voice acting in the game, a few memorable characters, but the story, the setting - it didn't click with me, at all.
Good grief. A bit of exploring in Moonrise leads to a MASSIVE loredump from a certain book.
What are you talking about exactly here? Please elaborate.
Wait a sec, which 20+ year old game was Elden Ring based on? I can't think of any game from 2003 or earlier which runs with that format. Everything which came near it would have been 2D.
FromSoftware tends to follow a certain kind of formula, that all kicked off with King's Field and got rebranded, reinvented and revamped over the years. They didn't start off with the third person action RPGs, but it's what they got good at.

Steezus

Savant
Patron
FromSoftware tends to follow a certain kind of formula, that all kicked off with King's Field and got rebranded, reinvented and revamped over the years. They didn't start off with the third person action RPGs, but it's what they got good at.

This is such a bullshit argument to begin with. Why isn't Bioware still good then? All they've been making is RPGs, they just occasionally switch perspectives. Why is more than half of PB's catalogue shit? They've been making Gothic for 20 years!

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
In fact if you check out some of the truly woketarded commentators for whom no amount of pandering is good enough, they can smell that it's just Larian box-ticking like a champ (I noticed a few quotes to that effect from some dyed-in-the-wool woketard comments on Reddit in the older thread about this game).
lol, give me links

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
I already tried to refund this piece of shit but I've played more than 2 hours at that point. This is the last game I will buy from Larian.
Just had to see that bear sex scene, didn't you? :M

I would give it more of a chance, if I were you. There's some enjoyment to be had here for anyone, given the depth of the choices and consequences. You do you though.

That said, I don't blame you for never buying any Larian game after they bowed to ESG this much.
What is this ESG bullshit talk, this has almost ZERO impact on Larian since they're not a publicly traded company.
ESG score determines interest rates on loans, which ultimately affects everyone on earth - not just publicly traded companies.
Doubt belgian banks give a fck about that. Larian won't be getting a loan from Blackrock.

430am

Educated
I'm not a DnD lore master, but why the fuck are Githyanki's arms so thin? They look like emaciated anorexic girls with atrophied muscles when they're presented as this hyperviolent warrior culture race that trains since birth. Muscles still visibly exist on their body so it makes no sense they wouldn't be bigger with training. When they start chimping out as usual with those matchstick arms I just can't take this shit seriously, it makes me laugh.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Minthara is pretty bugged right now. None of her dialog makes sense. She references things that haven't happened yet. Mainly with Shadowheart and one or two other dialog options.
Going down the evil path has been lackluster so far. In fact, it cut more content than it opened up. You cut content from Wyll, Halsin, and Karlach too, with three companion quests gone, just to eventually get her in your party. Furthermore, she's a paladin, and there are already too many melee characters
You can't portray women as anything other than strong medium or heavy armor wearers in modern day. It's disgusting. I was already sick of this shit in Kingmaker.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
You can't portray women as anything other than strong medium or heavy armor wearers in modern day. It's disgusting. I was already sick of this shit in Kingmaker.
I think you're reading too much into armor type. Would it really make a difference to you if Shadowheart wore light armor? Players would change it for medium armor anyway. She's a cleric.

jaekl

CHUD LIFE
Patron
I'm not a DnD lore master, but why the fuck are Githyanki's arms so thin? They look like emaciated anorexic girls with atrophied muscles when they're presented as this hyperviolent warrior culture race that trains since birth. Muscles still visibly exist on their body so it makes no sense they wouldn't be bigger with training. When they start chimping out as usual with those matchstick arms I just can't take this shit seriously, it makes me laugh.
Well if you zoom in, you'll see that each wrinkle in their anal sphincter is lovingly textured by a grandmaster artist, so obviously they don't have time to make goblins have different body types.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
In fact if you check out some of the truly woketarded commentators for whom no amount of pandering is good enough, they can smell that it's just Larian box-ticking like a champ (I noticed a few quotes to that effect from some dyed-in-the-wool woketard comments on Reddit in the older thread about this game).
lol, give me links

You can see some right towards the end of the other, now-retired pre-release thread about the game. Quite something :)

Herumor

Scholar
Why isn't Bioware still good then?
Because the devs kept leaving the company? I'm not sure if I remember this correctly, but a good chunk of the devs left Bioware after Dragon Age: Origins.

Why is more than half of PB's catalogue shit? They've been making Gothic for 20 years!
I enjoyed the first two Gothic games and the first Risen, but honestly, PB has a problem with not revamping their shit, merely reskinning it.

MerchantKing

Learned
If you play the game you'll see that, while it's highly likely that some of the writing/development is by woketards in the company, and that there are some true believers there, the gestalt of Larian as a whole, as a company led by Swen, who's clearly whip-smart, is that it's doing all that stuff partly so it can be left alone to make CRPGs in peace, partly because conforming with woke degeneracy lets them get away with not having to make separate male and female reactions to things a lot of the time, and partly because any publicity is good publicity.
Assuming he's not one of them himself.
The white pill is that a lot of companies who are doing ESG-style bollocks do it either so they can carry on doing their beloved thing unmolested, or to get investment;
Assuming they're not putting that nonsense into their game because they believe in it.
the black pill is that they have to do it, so the woke memes spread willy-nilly.
They don't have to do anything at all. At the end of the day they are choosing to do it.

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
I liked Shadowheart in the EA but in the full version she vomited what seemed like a big reveal before I was even finished with the Druid Grove (that she was found as a child by Shar worshippers including a drow that's probably Viconia while she was doing a Selunite ritual where they release their kids into the wild for a night for some reason), and now I feel like for such a big twist to come out so early she must be lying to manipulate the PC and I've been avoiding her for the most part. The approval could be bugged or it could be poorly paced and that could mean nothing though.

Steezus

Savant
Patron
Minthara is pretty bugged right now. None of her dialog makes sense. She references things that haven't happened yet. Mainly with Shadowheart and one or two other dialog options.
Going down the evil path has been lackluster so far. In fact, it cut more content than it opened up. You cut content from Wyll, Halsin, and Karlach too, with three companion quests gone, just to eventually get her in your party. Furthermore, she's a paladin, and there are already too many melee characters

Yes, that's why Shadowheart wears lingerie at night. Or why you can slap Laezel's BDSM outfit on every other character.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

It is forbidden in modern times to acknowledge that men are physically stronger than women. Girlbosses with noodle arms have to be functionally equal to beefcake mercs who are twice their size, otherwise you go to woke Gulag.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter

Yes, that's why Shadowheart wears lingerie at night.
Yup, actually surprised the woketards on resetera weren't getting pissed off already because of that.

Luckily enough "woke" elements to keep them quiet enough

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Pillars of Eternity committed the cardinal sin of cRPGs: it didn't know how to tell a story. For me, that's a big thing.
Lol no.

For all their faults, Larian knows how to make a videogame. And so does Fromsoft and Nintendo with Breath of the Wild. Neither of those games told much of a story.

All the classic CRPGs are similar: drop the player into the world and let them figure it out. That's the secret of all these games that goes back 30 years, that all the studios with writers and cutscenes and one million words don't get.

The player is the story.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
If you play the game you'll see that, while it's highly likely that some of the writing/development is by woketards in the company, and that there are some true believers there, the gestalt of Larian as a whole, as a company led by Swen, who's clearly whip-smart, is that it's doing all that stuff partly so it can be left alone to make CRPGs in peace, partly because conforming with woke degeneracy lets them get away with not having to make separate male and female reactions to things a lot of the time, and partly because any publicity is good publicity.
Assuming he's not one of them himself.
The white pill is that a lot of companies who are doing ESG-style bollocks do it either so they can carry on doing their beloved thing unmolested, or to get investment;
Assuming they're not putting that nonsense into their game because they believe in it.
the black pill is that they have to do it, so the woke memes spread willy-nilly.
They don't have to do anything at all. At the end of the day they are choosing to do it.

It's a reasonable assumption based on surveys that show the percentage of libtard true believers isn't that great (something like 15% of the pop IIRC, and the truly hardcore about half that). They get their way over the majority of the moderately sane population because your mates have installed them in positions of power and authority as "janissaries." ;) So much for "our democracy." :)

(But let's keep that stuff to the politics sub-forum eh.)

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I think you're reading too much into armor type. Would it really make a difference to you if Shadowheart wore light armor? Players would change it for medium armor anyway. She's a cleric.
I would have gone with a male dwarf for a cleric if I were designing the companions. I don't think clerics are inherently feminine, yet women seem to be the default for that class. Girls would have been something like this:

Human Bard
Gnome Wizard
Drow Sorceress (token lore-unfriendly special snowflake companion)
Half-Elf Rogue
Elf Druid

Maybe do a tiefling for the rogue instead if the list feels like it has too many pointy ears.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

It is forbidden in modern times to acknowledge that men are physically stronger than women. Girlbosses with noodle arms have to be functionally equal to beefcake mercs who are twice their size, otherwise you go to woke Gulag.
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Githyanki

Like all gith, githyanki were tall and slender humanoids with rough, leathery yellow skin and bright black eyes[6][14] that were sunken deep in their orbits.

Reinhardt

Arcane
so i intimidated some dress wearer in burning inn and he said i should go to hideout and trade. but there is no one inside. should i go and smash his head for messing with me or it's a bug? :argh:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom