Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Starfield is out?

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
GUYS! I JUST LEARNED SHORT REST IS FREE HALF HP HEAL AND YOU DON'T EVEN NEED TO FUCK ANYONE!
My god, you're not joking, and you really didn't know that? :)

Is this why so many people complain of romances advancing too fast?

Just because I read the 5e PHB I already feel as superior as I did back in 2000 when I was the only one around who could explain how THAC0 works and why lower armor class is better. :obviously:

I think he's being sarcastic about how namby-pamby some of the features of 5e are :)

But I have grown to love my streamlining overlords.

You just have to get used to it, it's a different, much leaner and more tightly-controlled system that probably exists to make tabletop run more smoothly, and in the CRPG context makes combat flow very quickly and smoothly. It's the polar opposite of something like Troubleshooter, which has the most incredibly deep, intricate simulation of everything (which I love too, but in another way, for another kind of tactical gameplay).

Reinhardt

Arcane
btw created new character to check something and started on middle difficulty. DAFUG IS THIS SHIT? cambions don't fly, devourers don't lazzor pew-pew. is that game journo difficulty?

Reinhardt

Arcane
what romances? i didn't even visited the camp yet.
I thought you were one of those complaining they make long rests at camp and they get repeatedly sexually assaulted by companions whom they've only just met.
nah, i'm trying to find how far i can go without rest.

btw couldn't turn fag elf to monster hunter because i don't know he's vampire yet. and to be honest, he's not showing any more fagginness than regular elf.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Pretty disappointed with wizard. Preparing at any time is good but nothing they can do can compare to twinned haste

This is more of a 5th Edition problem than a BG3 problem--

Casters in general, and wizards in particular got hit HARD with the nerf bat in 5E. It was an understandable reaction because in 2E/3E they so outclassed martials at higher levels it wasn't even a comparison. 4E doesn't count because it was a disastrous attempt to make an MMO into a tabletop RPG.

Anyways, back on topic all casters got fucked because of Concentration being required and constant, but wizards were hardest hit because its their only trick. They over corrected IMHO. One concentration spell and one direct damage type spell does not really allow for a high level of strategic playing. You become a fireball dispensing machine and that is unfortunate.

For instance, I should be able to concentrate on a defensive spell like Blur while also doing some crowd control with something like Hypnotic Pattern. This is not feasible under the Rules as Written (RAW) of 5E which is absurd. It leads to weird railroading where some defensive spells don't require concentration so everyone picks them, while others do so nobody picks them. Why take Blur when I can cast Mirror Image or Blink which require no concentration? The whole system needs a rework.

Concentration should be completely reworked so that it scales with level. As a lowbie you can barely keep your mind focused on a single spell but as you grow in knowledge & power juggling multiple spells w/ concentration should become easier.
Well, I'd be in favor of Concentration system being based of spell levels. At higher levels you can upkeep 1 level 5 spell... or maybe 1 level 1, 1 level 2 and 1 level 3....

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
Basically playing as Robert E. Howards famous barbarian. "What would Conan do" is a good roleplaying premise for a lot of good outcomes.

VWexrFN.png

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
nah, i'm trying to find how far i can go without rest.
I did the same, I'm trying to make it with as few long rests as possible. On low levels even if you run out of spells, you cantrips keep caster classes useful.

btw couldn't turn fag elf to monster hunter because i don't know he's vampire yet.
This kind of explains what I thought was a bug, but it still doesn't make sense, because the Van Helsing stand-in explicitly says he is called Astarion, and Astarion introduces himself to you. The PC should be able to put two and two together. In my case I had already killed Astarion when I met the monster hunter.

koyota

Cipher
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Just because I read the 5e PHB I already feel as superior as I did back in 2000 when I was the only one around who could explain

Last forgotten realms game played being BG2 then jumping in with all these demon folks around is a bit of a shock as to what the bloody happened in the lore to Faerun?

MerchantKing

Learned
Pierre did it first with his OGL3.5 game back in 2007 and carried it over into Kotc2. Not only that, he did a superior job when it came to implementing the 3e ruleset and programming the AI to utilize it. And then there's the fact that you create six characters and go through either an enjoyable adventure throughout the countryside in Kotc1 and a tech demo dungeon in Kotc2 that make his games superior in every way to Bioware's approach (Larian is directly emulating Bioware in this game).

It is not just Larian but 5e itself. 3.5 was just too bloated for its own good which caused stalls in gameplay as you had to remember constantly what did what cause everything was conditional. There was also stat bloat so combined you sat more thinking about every single action you do instead of playing actively using tactics. Because how 3.5 was setup tactics also were very limited. 5e is very simple to play with bloat gone so instead of thinking about host of feats you have and conditions you need to use them everything is plain and clear and you just focus on playing itself. 3.5 with Larian design would be mess as well.

5e feels to play like 2e + some more active actions which is great.
Larian design in general is a mess. Solasta devs did a much better job with the ruleset as well.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
caster classes
what caster classes? i run butt-naked barbarian mc, frog with 2h sword in heavy armor, shadow with that blinding spear and astarion with bow. first characters i've met. healing with potion throwing.
Conan and his companions from the first movie will be something I'll definetly play as a custom party later on.

I never tried potion throwing. Is this really all there is to it? Use someone's bonus action to heal someone else?

Reinhardt

Arcane
so i have hag, spider kween and gith pipo left, all 3 probaly require rest. 1 basic attack/round won't be enough.
or i can just start gobbo killing.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Is there any way to speed up combat animation speed? All these encounters with a million combatants and slow ass movement is driving me insane.

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
I love how the game rewards you for exploring with hidden side quests and interactions here and there (PRAISE MAHKLOOMPAH!)

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
The mini map is a huge improvement to the one in the EA, which was unreadable and ugly as hell. While still not perfect, it looks a lot like the maps you would find in common P&P modules, which further helps create that atmosphere of you playing a TTG campaign.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
Every single Gnome in this game is a faggot how do they even have kids? Even some bitch I'm supposed to rescue is gay but has a son somehow?

We really need some faggotry removal mods.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom