Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Oh yeah here is another thing I was wondering:
Apparently, you can play a Drow?
I haven't really looked into 5e Forgotten Realms, but aren't those killed on sight?
Iirc that was a major issue with Viconia in BG1/2. Is that considered here as well?
Wizards of the Coast, the publisher of the popular role-playing game Dungeons & Dragons, has recently announced changes to the way they will be depicting certain races in the game. One of the changes they have made is to remove the "evil" alignment tag from races that have traditionally been classified as evil in previous editions of the game. This change is being made in order to reduce harmful stereotypes and promote more diverse and inclusive representation in the game.
There you go. Orcs and Drow were never evil! Just misunderstood.

I knew about this, but I was hoping it was merely a change on the player side (and to appease weirdos who think their fantasy game of pretend has any tangible effect on the real world).

I mean Drow are still regarded as evil by the general population of the Forgotten Realms, right?
They don't just walk the streets, or do they?

Drows have been walking in the streets since forever... in your party.

Not sure what anybody expected this shit has been going on for a long time. Fucking Drizzt ruined Drows forever to start with.

Shaki

Arbiter
Basically playing as Robert E. Howards famous barbarian. "What would Conan do" is a good roleplaying premise for a lot of good outcomes.

VWexrFN.png
I'm sorry but your "conan" looks like a tranny :negative:

Gradenmayer

Learned
I haven't really looked into 5e Forgotten Realms, but aren't those killed on sight?
Iirc that was a major issue with Viconia in BG1/2. Is that considered here as well?
Wizards of the Coast, the publisher of the popular role-playing game Dungeons & Dragons, has recently announced changes to the way they will be depicting certain races in the game. One of the changes they have made is to remove the "evil" alignment tag from races that have traditionally been classified as evil in previous editions of the game. This change is being made in order to reduce harmful stereotypes and promote more diverse and inclusive representation in the game.
There you go. Orcs and Drow were never evil! Just misunderstood.

I knew about this, but I was hoping it was merely a change on the player side (and to appease weirdos who think their fantasy game of pretend has any tangible effect on the real world).

I mean Drow are still regarded as evil by the general population of the Forgotten Realms, right?
Most people are hateful or wary of them in BG3.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
These robots are bugged as hell they don't even stop walking during turn based mode.

This is too rough I'll try this fight later.

rubinstein

Educated
Basically playing as Robert E. Howards famous barbarian. "What would Conan do" is a good roleplaying premise for a lot of good outcomes.

VWexrFN.png
more like lord farquuad roleplaying idealized version of himself :lol:
Once again, the Arnold interpretation has nothing in common with the literary character or the comics that spawned of from that. I tried to get as close as possible to that with the options the character creation gave me. I'm statisfied.
chill, bro. i am aware germans can engineer anything except a sense of humor, but this was just an innocent joke. ive seen your previous post.

MerchantKing

Learned
I wanted to make an idiot character.
Unfortunately, low intelligence doesn't really change the dialogue options.
I guess that's more of a Fallout thing, but what I am really missing from this are characterized player voices.
They all seem like the same, apathetic guy. So far there isn't any real character in the voice acting.

Kinda unfitting for various races as well. I haven't really heard a proper dwarven or half-orc voice either.
Some people say the voices in BG1 were corny (and they are right), but it's not really like the rest of the setting isn't.
It's not exactly the Brothers Karamazov. Just let me play as a dimwit and pick a fitting voice!
This is kinda how D&D seems to be played in general. A "half-elf" or an "elf" is really just a person playing a human but with pointy ears.
NWN2 did this as well. You can play as a drow with no real consequences outside of stats.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
What amazes me is that wikis are...bare. I mean Isaw wikis being filled within days, even hours on certain quests and items for some games but here it is just a huge lag.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
Larian sure were faggots when it came to adding gear from the previous games.

DYh9G1c.jpg

You can get FoA and Belm and they both suck ass. Oh well at least I can LARP as a Bhaalspawn with good items that actually suck ass.

Lemming42

Arcane
Already thinking about my second playthrough, but one snag... I can't think of an interesting character to play. Sure, I can think of a mechanically interesting build, but not an actual character with a personality.

The game, like all others in the BioWare mould, actually has a pre-written personality for you through dialogue - and that personality is "video game protagonist". You just say inane shit and occasionally have the opportunity to make stupid jokes or do something retardedly evil. I'm sat here on the char creation screen trying out different appearances and class/race combos to see if inspiration strikes me, but it doesn't - I can't play as a stern, elderly halfling wizard, because my dialogue will never ever reflect it (and nor will any NPC responses). I can't play as a pacifist grandma who only has nice cuddly things to say to everyone, because my dialogue won't ever reflect it (and nor will NPC responses). I can't play as a boorish drunken lout, because my dialogue will never reflect it (and nor can NPC responses).

Hmm. Not a criticism as such, and obviously a problem shared by a great many RPGs, but I only just realised how much of your character is pre-written for you, and how little freedom you actually have in creating anyone other than a generic dull adventurer. Not so noticeable on a first playthrough but the replayability will definitely take a hit when you're watching your ostensibly-different character do the exact same dumb "cinematic" animations and have the exact same stupid unwelcome voiceover lines and the exact same dull dialogue options as your first character.

Not to compare the two games at all since they're obviously entirely different, but I've just been playing Daggerfall for the billionth time recently and creating all kinds of utterly wild and obtuse character ideas, which work because you define yourself through your actions in Daggerfall rather than through dialogue. But here in BG3, you really are just essentially Commander Shepard, dullard extraordinaire, which is a bit of a shame. The world is rich and interesting, but you're definitely not.

well-yes-but-actually-no-meme.gif

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Udadrow

Description
These dark elves were those, or the descendants of those, who originally became influenced by the evil deity, Lolth.

Society
Udadrow society was oppressive and xenophobic. Some dark elves were able to escape tyrannical drow society, and escaped to the surface of Toril.

History
Due to the authoritative influence of the Spider Queen, almost all drow followed her ways to the Underdark. Two offshoot groups, Lorendrow and Aevendrow, did not. As they descended to the depths of the Underdark, Udadrow society become more and more corrupted by Lolth.

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Lorendrow

Description
These almost completely unknown dark elves were wise, and were attuned to their environment.

Society
Greenshadow elven society was harmonious, as they drew wisdom from the forest, earth and sky.

History
Lorendrow were one of the two dark elven groups to reject Lolth. Whilst almost all of them (Udadrow) followed the Spider Queen's ways, and the Aevendrow headed north, the Lorendrow began a very long trip to the south. After this journey, the greenshadow elves reached a grand forest with several rivers, and established Saekolath, the "Place of Shade". They were so well concealed by the dense jungle that not even the most well-travelled explorers knew of their existence.

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Aevendrow

Description
Aevendrow were proficient mages and extraordinarily secretive. Because of this, almost nobody knew of them.

Society
Their society was far different to that of Udadrow, the most common type of drow. Having rejected Lolth, they retained their original virtues, and their society was opposite to that of the Udadrow society of Menzoberranzan. Aevendrow society was based in Callidae, the starlight enclave built of ice, which was far to the North.

History
When the majority of drow followed their dark goddess, Lolth, into the deep confines of the Underdark, a small minority did not. Aevendrow, as these drow would become called, relocated to the far north of Faerûn and established Callidae, which would become their new home.

Renfri

Cipher
About how getting inside city of Baldur's Gate:
How retarded it is when you can just slaughter frontgate guards and then just walk in or if you surrender and get sent to jail, you just killed guards there and walk out no problem, instead you get invited to meet Big Guy, holymoly.

Gradenmayer

Learned
Already thinking about my second playthrough, but one snag... I can't think of an interesting character to play. Sure, I can think of a mechanically interesting build, but not an actual character with a personality.

The game, like all others in the BioWare mould, actually has a pre-written personality for you through dialogue - and that personality is "video game protagonist". You just say inane shit and occasionally have the opportunity to make stupid jokes or do something retardedly evil. I'm sat here on the char creation screen trying out different appearances and class/race combos to see if inspiration strikes me, but it doesn't - I can't play as a stern, elderly halfling wizard, because my dialogue will never ever reflect it (and nor will any NPC responses). I can't play as a pacifist grandma who only has nice cuddly things to say to everyone, because my dialogue won't ever reflect it (and nor will NPC responses). I can't play as a boorish drunken lout, because my dialogue will never reflect it (and nor can NPC responses).

Hmm. Not a criticism as such, and obviously a problem shared by a great many RPGs, but I only just realised how much of your character is pre-written for you, and how little freedom you actually have in creating anyone other than a generic dull adventurer. Not so noticeable on a first playthrough but the replayability will definitely take a hit when you're watching your ostensibly-different character do the exact same dumb "cinematic" animations and have the exact same stupid unwelcome voiceover lines and the exact same dull dialogue options as your first character.

Not to compare the two games at all since they're obviously entirely different, but I've just been playing Daggerfall for the billionth time recently and creating all kinds of utterly wild and obtuse character ideas, which work because you define yourself through your actions in Daggerfall rather than through dialogue. But here in BG3, you really are just essentially Commander Shepard, dullard extraordinaire, which is a bit of a shame. The world is rich and interesting, but you're definitely not.
Nah, you are just creatively bankrupt. There are plenty of ways to play out completely different characters.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
What amazes me is that wikis are...bare. I mean Isaw wikis being filled within days, even hours on certain quests and items for some games but here it is just a huge lag.

From what I've played so far, it looks like almost every quest can be approached in a few different ways, and is linked to others in several ways, so it's probably going to take a bit of time for wiki-makers to unravel and make clear sense of all that intricate entanglement.

That said, they do seem to be filling up from what I can see.

One very common thing I hate in modern games is "Fresnel glow" (I think it's called - it's like a fixed backlighting that sticks to the character no matter what environment they're in). Hate it, hate it, hate it. There was a mod that got rid of it for DOS2, I hope someone makes one for this.

Barbarian

Arcane
10/10 best rpg ever.

No kidding, on the front of actual roleplaying and c&c this beats anything done before. Combat is nothing to write home about compared to actual tactical tb games, but still infinitely superior to the pathfinder games or say the original bg trilogy.

Swen you did it you magnificent bastard.

Barbarian

Arcane
Also, from what some people commented on this thread I imagined every companion would be trying to rub their dick/vagene on me every conversation or something(either that or trying to infect me with the gae) but it really isn't so.

Maybe I suck at perception but I also haven't noticed any homo couple, troon or sjw yet(chapter 1). Though I fear that will change once I reach Baldur's Gate.

Ocassionaly a horny dialogue option shows up at camp but I just don't click it.

Lemming42

Arcane
Nah, you are just creatively bankrupt. There are plenty of ways to play out completely different characters.
No, there isn't, because your reactions to things are often told to you by the narrator, by the crazy-ass emoting they make your character do in cutscenes/dialogue, by the voiceover lines that actively put words and opinions in your mouth, or by a rather limited range of dialogue options. It's like barely one step up from Mass Effect and Dragon Age, in this aspect.

You can obviously express totally different characters through actual gameplay, but those characters will always react the same way as each other in cutscenes and be given the same handful of dialogue options, which often lead you towards picking a specific one to proceed anyway, or fall into the old "be a psycho" vs "don't be a psycho" choice.

It wouldn't be as much of a problem if the game didn't lean so hard into the "cinematic" style, which treats your character like the star of a movie rather than the protagonist of a videogame. Your character is the most important person on screen at any given time and their actions and dialogue drives the plot, but because all players need to watch roughly the same movie, your character is railroaded into certain things and shows little/inconsistent personality through dialogue.

Everyone hates it but I wonder if a keyword system is better for this kind of game, especially since they decided to make you unvoiced. Like, instead of an option that says "Hi, please tell me where the nearest dildo shop is", it would just say "[Ask about dildo shop]". Obviously you could just assume the current options are meant to be representative rather than what you're actually saying... but a lot of NPCs respond to you as if you've just said the exact words given by the option, which means your character is in fact saying all this bland shit in the exact dialect and wording given to you, no matter who you're trying to play as.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Also, from what some people commented on this thread I imagined every companion would be trying to rub their dick/vagene on me every conversation or something(either that or trying to infect me with the gae) but it really isn't so.

Maybe I suck at perception but I also haven't noticed any homo couple, troon or sjw yet(chapter 1). Though I fear that will change once I reach Baldur's Gate.

Ocassionaly a horny dialogue option shows up at camp but I just don't click it.

It's not so much what comes from the companions, it's the options you're given to respond - like for about half of the companions, 4 out of every 5 responses you're offered to give to them will be some variation of innuendo ranging from subtle to blatant. That, instead of the sorts of things that adventurers thrust together by circumstances and gradually getting to know each other might say. It's really tiresome and immershun-breaking.

The best thing about the companion dialogues is their first responses after notable events - those are usually ok, flow with the plot and represent their characters, but invariably your responses will include a few retarded lead ins to an "adult relationship," and always gay when it's the male companions. There is always a "nope" option, but it's like a needle in a haystack, and forces upon you some particular tone, where really all the options should be variations of possible tone in normal conversations.

Also, your character's facial animations (well, mine anyway) are like some weird shapeshifting gurning that looks like you're having fruity thoughts about the companion :)

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom