Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
It's very nice finding secrets within secrets within secrets. Like the Thay mage laboratory. Makes exploration worthwile. Knowing, that you might miss something anyway that was put there by the devs also helps making the game "come alive".

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
What amazes me is that wikis are...bare. I mean Isaw wikis being filled within days, even hours on certain quests and items for some games but here it is just a huge lag.

From what I've played so far, it looks like almost every quest can be approached in a few different ways, and is linked to others in several ways, so it's probably going to take a bit of time for wiki-makers to unravel and make clear sense of all that intricate entanglement.

That said, they do seem to be filling up from what I can see.

One very common thing I hate in modern games is "Fresnel glow" (I think it's called - it's like a fixed backlighting that sticks to the character no matter what environment they're in). Hate it, hate it, hate it. There was a mod that got rid of it for DOS2, I hope someone makes one for this.
I definitely want to do a full custom party playthrough with a "battle squad of Helm" - two paladins, a cleric, and a ranger. I have a concept for a younger and a senior knight, a battle cleric (oldest member of the squad), and the ranger will fill a reconnaisance role.

Any playthrough with a cleric would be fun because he would have to pass his decisions through the lens of what would be fitting of his religious doctrine.

Gray Dwarf or Drow Elf playthrough, that could be super fun if you impose on yourself to act according to even some of the cultural specifics of those races.

I have a character from PnP - a human ranger with an animistic religion who has never lived in civilized society, only in the wilderness with occasional visits to smaller towns. I wonder how he would work in BG3.

Barbarian

Arcane
Also, from what some people commented on this thread I imagined every companion would be trying to rub their dick/vagene on me every conversation or something(either that or trying to infect me with the gae) but it really isn't so.

Maybe I suck at perception but I also haven't noticed any homo couple, troon or sjw yet(chapter 1). Though I fear that will change once I reach Baldur's Gate.

Ocassionaly a horny dialogue option shows up at camp but I just don't click it.

It's not so much what comes from the companions, it's the options you're given to respond - like for about half of the companions, 4 out of every 5 responses you're offered to give to them will be some variation of innuendo ranging from subtle to blatant. That, instead of the sorts of things that adventurers thrust together by circumstances and gradually getting to know each other might say. It's really tiresome and immershun-breaking.

The best thing about the companion dialogues is their first responses after notable events - those are usually ok, flow with the plot and represent their characters, but invariably your responses will include a few retarded lead ins to an "adult relationship."

That is what happens when you make every companion "romanceable". Having Aerie, Viconia and Jaheira in your party in the original games would be just like that. charname the gigachad and chick magnet.

But really, nothing remotely as suggested where they will be asking to buttfuck you every camp scene.

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
Already thinking about my second playthrough, but one snag... I can't think of an interesting character to play. Sure, I can think of a mechanically interesting build, but not an actual character with a personality.

The game, like all others in the BioWare mould, actually has a pre-written personality for you through dialogue - and that personality is "video game protagonist". You just say inane shit and occasionally have the opportunity to make stupid jokes or do something retardedly evil. I'm sat here on the char creation screen trying out different appearances and class/race combos to see if inspiration strikes me, but it doesn't - I can't play as a stern, elderly halfling wizard, because my dialogue will never ever reflect it (and nor will any NPC responses). I can't play as a pacifist grandma who only has nice cuddly things to say to everyone, because my dialogue won't ever reflect it (and nor will NPC responses). I can't play as a boorish drunken lout, because my dialogue will never reflect it (and nor can NPC responses).

Hmm. Not a criticism as such, and obviously a problem shared by a great many RPGs, but I only just realised how much of your character is pre-written for you, and how little freedom you actually have in creating anyone other than a generic dull adventurer. Not so noticeable on a first playthrough but the replayability will definitely take a hit when you're watching your ostensibly-different character do the exact same dumb "cinematic" animations and have the exact same stupid unwelcome voiceover lines and the exact same dull dialogue options as your first character.

Not to compare the two games at all since they're obviously entirely different, but I've just been playing Daggerfall for the billionth time recently and creating all kinds of utterly wild and obtuse character ideas, which work because you define yourself through your actions in Daggerfall rather than through dialogue. But here in BG3, you really are just essentially Commander Shepard, dullard extraordinaire, which is a bit of a shame. The world is rich and interesting, but you're definitely not.

Truly a worthy successor to the Baldurs Gate franchise!

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Also, from what some people commented on this thread I imagined every companion would be trying to rub their dick/vagene on me every conversation or something(either that or trying to infect me with the gae) but it really isn't so.

Maybe I suck at perception but I also haven't noticed any homo couple, troon or sjw yet(chapter 1). Though I fear that will change once I reach Baldur's Gate.

It's not so much what comes from the companions, it's the options you're given to respond - like for about half of the companions, 4 out of every 5 responses you're offered to give to them will be some variation of innuendo ranging from subtle to blatant. That, instead of the sorts of things that adventurers thrust together by circumstances and gradually getting to know each other might say. It's really tiresome and immershun-breaking.

The best thing about the companion dialogues is their first responses after notable events - those are usually ok, flow with the plot and represent their characters, but invariably your responses will include a few retarded lead ins to an "adult relationship."

That is what happens when you make every companion "romanceable". Having Aerie, Viconia and Jaheira in your party in the original games would be just like that. charname the gigachad and chick magnet.

But really, nothing remotely as suggested where they will be asking to buttfuck you every camp scene.

No, as I remember it, the BG interactions were comparatively subtle and normal conversational types of responses, the weighting was the other way round - like 3 normal conversational responses and maybe one or two that might lead to a deeper relationship (and they felt more like relationship building than slutty flirting).

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1086940/view/3655285941451321514
Hotfix #2 Now Live!
Version Number: 4.1.1.3630146

Hello everyone,

Over the weekend, Baldur’s Gate 3 hit over 800,000 concurrent players on Steam – a number that surpassed our wildest expectations. Thank you for getting BG3 in the 10 most popular games of all time on Steam! It means the world to us, and we’ll continue to read and watch everything over the coming weeks.

That said, there’s work to be done on the road to the PlayStation 5 launch on September 6, and we’re busy working away on squashing some of the remaining bugs and issues that have come up since launch. We’ve got a new hotfix for you this week, addressing almost 300 crashes, blockers, and bugs. We saw a video floating around on the internet this week of… an unintentional gnome sorcerer wardrobe malfunction, and have kindly asked them to cover up while descending into the Underdark.

As ever, thank you to everyone who has taken the time to report these issues to us. Please reach out to our support team if you run into trouble.

CRASHES AND BLOCKERS
  • Fixed an issue causing you to get stuck in dialogue.
  • Fixed a potential crash when reloading a savegame made mid-dialogue.
  • Fixed being unable to enter the Shadowfell if you saved while the prompt was on screen.
  • Fixed a crash caused by the UI.
  • Fixed a potential crash when saving while standing on a surface during combat or in Turn-Based Mode.
  • Fixed a rare blocker when loading a savegame made in camp that would cause a party member to spawn outside of camp.
  • Fixed a potential crash when choosing to stop listening in on a dialogue.
  • Fixed a potential crash when applying dye to an item outside of the inventory or through non-conventional means, such as the Reward panel.
  • Fixed a potential multiplayer crash when the client touches the transponder on the nautiloid and leaves the party, and then the host tries to open Party View.
  • Fixed a potential crash caused by the game trying to load the Character Creation UI when you are no longer in Character Creation.
  • Fixed a potential crash related to the tooltips of items that grant skill advantages but don't have an owner.
  • Fixed a rare PhysX crash.
  • Fixed a rare crash related to moving items.

MULTIPLAYER
  • Fixed long fade-outs when listening in on dialogues in multiplayer.

GAMEPLAY
  • Penises C and D no longer clip through some githyanki clothing.
  • Male gnome sorcerers are no longer missing their undies.
  • Fixed an infinite loop that could occur with spells like Minor Illusion, where the enemy and the illusion would repeatedly enter and leave combat.
  • Fixed necromites not joining the combat with Ketheric.
  • Fixed enemies on the upper floor of Moonrise entering combat with those on the lower floor.
  • Fixed Voss' dragon reappearing after the githyanki scene near the Mountain Pass.
  • Fixed a book in Moonrise Towers showing an internal variable name instead of the correct content.
  • Fixed an issue preventing the boss fight with Ketheric from progressing.

UI
  • Removed the version number that was below the minimap.
  • Improved UI stability by preventing possible crashes and possible savegame corruption.

ENGINE
  • Fixed issues with rendering on Vulkan when minimising the game.
  • Added additional multiplayer servers and server scaling support.
  • Fixed an issue causing the wrong refresh rates to be applied if the game was not running in fullscreen.

CINEMATICS
  • Fixed pauses and long silences in over 200 dialogues.
  • Companions no longer block the camera in some dialogs.
  • Fixed a camera issue where you see the back of Gale's head when he asks you to place your hand over his chest.
  • Fixed a pop on Shadowheart when she hears the voice of Shar.
  • Fixed Gale's paddle hands in one of his dialogues.
  • Fixed Guex looking at the floor in his dialogue in the Emerald Grove.
  • Fixed a blocked camera in the dialogue with Benryn at Waukeen's Rest.
  • Fixed clipping and other issues in the scene where you hear the voice of the Absolute when approaching the Goblin Camp.
  • Fixed a camera issue and a pop in the dialogue with the owlbear in its cave.
  • Fixed players' feet sliding around in the dialogue with Jaheira after combat at Last Light.
  • Fixed one of Astarion's lines getting cut off in a camp dialogue.
  • Fixed several animation issues in the dialogue after some acquaintances of Astarion visit camp.
  • Fixed a pop for players using Body Type 4 in the scene with poor Liam at the Goblin Camp.
  • Fixed a camera issue in the dialogue with Edowin, Andrick and Brynna in the forest.
  • Fixed Kagha's eyes rolling backwards à la Exorcist after the goblin leaders are defeated.
  • Fixed a positioning issue with Lorin in the hag's lair.
  • Cleaned up some mocap in conversations with Astarion.
  • Fixed a head pop in the scene with the ogres in the Blighted Village.
  • Fixed Wyll's head animation in the dialogue with Florrick at Last Light.
  • Fixed Sceleritas Fel standing a little too close for comfort when he tells the Dark Urge to commit a certain misdeed.
  • Fixed a camera issue in the scene with Radija at Moonrise.
  • Fixed a minor pop when rescuing Zariel's asset for Mizora.
  • Fixed a clipping issue with a certain hag's arms and leaves in the Blushing Mermaid.
  • Fixed some character placement issues in an endgame scene.
  • Fixed a camera issue for female gnomes in a dialogue at Moonrise involving something coming through a wall.
  • Fixed a pop for the flesh golem when speaking to Balthazar.
  • Fixed a camera issue when talking to one of Therezzyn's dire wolves in Crèche Y'llek.
  • Fixed character placement issues in the lanceboard scene with Mol and Raphael at Last Light.
  • Fixed a character placement issue that caused Lae'zel to float off the edge of the nautiloid.
  • Fixed several issues in the dialogue with Bernard at the Arcane Tower.
  • Fixed a camera issue in the boat scene where you're heading to a particular pool.
  • Fixed a minor mocap issue with Fist Rowan at Wyrm's Crossing.
  • Fixed Minthara looking to the side with suspicion the night after the celebration at camp.
  • Fixed characters' heads popping downward when throwing a coin into the well in the Blighted Village.
  • Fixed a minor pop when Shadowheart tries to convince you that you need her at the Goblin Camp.
  • Adjusted Astarion's expression in dialogue with Gandrel in the Sunlit Wetlands.
  • Fixed Blurg being invisible and Astarion being stuck in the wrong animation in the Myconid Circle.
  • Fixed several issues in the dialogue with the monk's amulet.
  • Fixed several issues in the dialogue with Dammon and Karlach about her heart.
  • Fixed several issues in the dialogue with Fortuno Dibbs at Wyrm's Crossing.
  • Fixed several animation issues in the dialogue with Kansif and Warrior Vez in the Shadow-Cursed Lands.
  • Fixed a minor timing issue with a Dream Visitor line when talking to Therezzyn in the crèche.
  • Fixed issues with several voice-over lines.
  • Fixed characters' eyes looking in the wrong direction in the ambush scene in the Shadow-Cursed Lands if you side with the Harpers.
  • Cleaned up some mocap in conversations with Gale.
  • Cleaned up some mocap in the dialogue with Astarion about illithid powers.
  • Added some pained grunts for the player in a scene about Wyll in the Colony.
  • Added grunts in a scene for Dark Urge players after they resisted the allure of their Urges.
  • Drenn is no longer invisible in the scene at Moonrise when Minthara has to defend herself.
  • Fixed a very long pause in a dialogue with Halsin after the endgame fight.

Last edited by a moderator:

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
No, there isn't, because your reactions to things are often told to you by the narrator, by the crazy-ass emoting they make your character do in cutscenes/dialogue, by the voiceover lines that actively put words and opinions in your mouth, or by a rather limited range of dialogue options. It's like barely one step up from Mass Effect and Dragon Age, in this aspect.

You can obviously express totally different characters through actual gameplay, but those characters will always react the same way as each other in cutscenes and be given the same handful of dialogue options, which often lead you towards picking a specific one to proceed anyway, or fall into the old "be a psycho" vs "don't be a psycho" choice.
I tend to ignore cutscenes or the dialogue. In the dialogue I care about how it progresses the conversation or the quest, not about what's the actual line. Most of my roleplaying happens, as you say outside of dialogue, when deciding which quest to tackle, what decision to make regarding a quest's final state, who to spare and who to kill, to take an item or leave it. When I saw the windmill scene for example I specifically imagined how my character would get angry and burst in on the scene.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
10/10 best rpg ever.

No kidding, on the front of actual roleplaying and c&c this beats anything done before. Combat is nothing to write home about compared to actual tactical tb games, but still infinitely superior to the pathfinder games or say the original bg trilogy.

Swen you did it you magnificent bastard.
Yes, BG3 will go down in history as the best RPG ever (unitll Larian's new big epic RPG of course). All other RPG's will now be compared to this masterpiece.

And like I said years ago, when people talk about Baldur's Gate they will talk about BG3 and not BG1 and 2, I'm sure this little fact will make the boomers mad as fuck but BG3 is better in almost every aspect and probably the best rpg ever made (if all the bugs are ironed out)

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Do NOT, under any circumstances, let Gale "show you some magic tricks".

Lemming42

Arcane
No, there isn't, because your reactions to things are often told to you by the narrator, by the crazy-ass emoting they make your character do in cutscenes/dialogue, by the voiceover lines that actively put words and opinions in your mouth, or by a rather limited range of dialogue options. It's like barely one step up from Mass Effect and Dragon Age, in this aspect.

You can obviously express totally different characters through actual gameplay, but those characters will always react the same way as each other in cutscenes and be given the same handful of dialogue options, which often lead you towards picking a specific one to proceed anyway, or fall into the old "be a psycho" vs "don't be a psycho" choice.
I tend to ignore cutscenes or the dialogue. In the dialogue I care about how it progresses the conversation or the quest, not about what's the actual line. Most of my roleplaying happens, as you say outside of dialogue, when deciding which quest to tackle, what decision to make regarding a quest's final state, who to spare and who to kill, to take an item or leave it. When I saw the windmill scene for example I specifically imagined how my character would get angry and burst in on the scene.
I do the same, but I think my issue here is that there's just so much of the cutscenes and dialogue, and the game focuses on it so hard, that it gets impossible to ignore. I can try to play as a stoic honour-bound warrior with a strict code of ethics, but I'm still gonna be stumbling around gurning like a retard in cutscenes and I'm still gonna be saying stupid shit that goes completely against my character concept every three seconds both in dialogue and in the voiceover lines.

You can try to play as an absolute pacifist or as someone who actively loves Mindflayers, but you're still saying "DEAD. GOOD." one second into the game when you see the first Mindflayer corpse.

In something like Fallout I find very easy to roleplay, treating the dialogue as largely an abstraction (often with humorous lines) that acts as representative of what my character is saying. Here, though, it's just structured so much like a film and the focus is so heavily on the cinematic shit that it's impossible to ignore, for me at least. In Fallout or Wasteland or even TES it feels like I'm defining my character through my actions and choices, in BG3 it feels like I'm writing half the character (via gameplay) and the devs are writing the other half (via cutscenes and dialogue), and we're also not talking to each other and we've got two different characters in mind.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Anyone else has a problem with the initial loading time getting longer and longer? Not saves, the first load of the game.

I have a new rig, so it can't be a hardware problem.

AwesomeButton

Patron
You can try to play as an absolute pacifist or as someone who actively loves Mindflayers, but you're still saying "DEAD. GOOD." one second into the game when you see the first Mindflayer corpse
Here is an example where you could have a more nuanced understanding of your character. Maybe he said that emotionally? Maybe he is fascinated by mind flayers, but still doesn't want to be their test subject?

AwesomeButton

Patron
Anyone else has a problem with the initial loading time getting longer and longer? Not saves, the first load of the game.

I have a new rig, so it can't be a hardware problem.
I havem't recorded it, but I think it's constant.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
Holy fck the Metacritic is now the same as Zelda TOTK and has much better user review score

afbeelding.png

Larian chads we keep on winning!

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Seriously it's an honor for the old BG games to be even in the same gaming franchise as BG3.

It's a MASSIVE commercial and critical success, the only question that remains this year; will BG3 win GOTY?

I think it will win.
We have a lot of funny roleplays and banter here on Codex, but you are pushing the boundries of acceptable shitposting here, chum.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
Seriously it's an honor for the old BG games to be even in the same gaming franchise as BG3.

It's a MASSIVE commercial and critical success, the only question that remains this year; will BG3 win GOTY?

I think it will win.
We have a lot of funny roleplays and banter here on Codex, but you are pushing the boundries of acceptable shitposting here, chum.
We'll talk again when BG3 wins GOTY chum.

Edit: and like I said the new reality that BG3 is now the new golden standard is hard for the boomers to accept, especially if they're culture warrior tards. But this is the new reality.

Shin

Cipher
best roleplaying: BG3
best PnP backbone: BG3
best combat system: BG3
best graphics: BG3
best music: BG3
best story: BG3
best dialogue: BG3
best companions: BG3
best UI: BG3
best romances: Dragon Age Inquisition

I'm sorry Swen, but Larian has a long way to go

Volrath

Arcane
Patron

Do NOT, under any circumstances, let Gale "show you some magic tricks".
This. But then again, everybody knows that magic is ubergay to begin with!

Seems like a lot of the Codex missed their perception check :o

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom