Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Japs already know of D&D and they kinda like it, it's just that they have their own brand of pnp games. They have their own D&D-like in the same way germans have DSA.
The Japanese version of D&D is straight based on D&D, and was the result of D&D simply not expanding to Japan iirc. While I'm not a big fan of anime in general, "Record of Lodoss War" is a good pulpy D&D session in anime form, basically.

Kiste

Augur
That's the tragedy. Funcom pretty much nailed the overall aesthetics of the setting in both AoC and Exiles, but they don't to turn based CRPGs.
Everything about Funcom is a tragedy. Imagine The Secret World, instead of being a shitty MMORPG, had been a series of V:TM-B style single-player CRPGs.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
Japs already know of D&D and they kinda like it, it's just that they have their own brand of pnp games. They have their own D&D-like in the same way germans have DSA.
The Japanese version of D&D is straight based on D&D, and was the result of D&D simply not expanding to Japan iirc. While I'm not a big fan of anime in general, "Record of Lodoss War" is a good pulpy D&D session in anime form, basically.
Loved the anime back in the day

Lemming42

Arcane
A few more reviews, and Swen can teabag Miyamoto, all day long.
image.png
JWKEmqP.png

Barbarian

Arcane
Christ, the rate at which some of you are tearing through this makes me realize how much of a filthy casual I really am by comparison.
I don't have much time to play it, I was at act 2 but got my ass kicked so I'm back to exploring more of act 1 of which I skipped a lot.
The underdark has some interesting bits, it's nice to explore everything. There's also a path into the underdark via the hag's area. There's the goblin temple and the zhentarim hideout as well.

I'm doing a completionist playthrough so things are going somewhat slowly. - literally clearing every bit of the map systematically.

It has been worth it too. Talk about a game that motivates exploration. I would have missed quite a bit by simply following main objectives.

Latro

Arcane
Your problem with it is most likely that a lot of people are playing it and that it has some things that you morally object to
My problem is that it’s another shitty original sin game getting sucked off because they stuffed it with dragon age. By next month it’ll be another forgotten larian game, only remembered because of the surprise sales (cuz its AAA-ish D&D)

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Who's doing Codex review? That thread will go down in history as one of the best, retarded, funny, crazy, legendary threads ever.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
My casual gamer friends have begun playing this and like 70% of them fall for the miscommunication that makes people believe they do *either* Underdark *or* Mountain Pass, and as a result they're underleveled when they reach Act 2.
Is Mountain Pass the Gith creche? Because if so, I missed the whole damn thing for that exact reason.

Exactly. The communication is a massive screw-up on Larian's part - at this point I've seen more people miss it than not. Surprising it went through testing.
It can be even worse, if you fail to repair the lift going directly to the monastery you have to go through the level 6 undead encounter which is far overtuned for most party.

It's not a "miscommunication".

You can use either. Only completionist autists (like Codexers) or people who have been burned by Larian's underleveling before (me) would do both.

Edit: They also make it clear that the mountain pass is more difficult. Everyone recommends the Underdork.

Last edited:

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
Your problem with it is most likely that a lot of people are playing it and that it has some things that you morally object to
My problem is that it’s another shitty original sin game getting sucked off because they stuffed it with dragon age. By next month it’ll be another forgotten larian game, only remembered because of the surprise sales (cuz its AAA-ish D&D)

No. Your problem is that you're the most braindead faggot in this thread.

Shaki

Arbiter
That's a cope. Opposite will happen, normies brought to the genre by BG3 will now want every RPG to borrow worst parts from it, and will be swarming upcoming smaller titles whining for romances and sex scenes and shit. Can't wait for the crowds to show up in Colony Ship steam forum and start yelling at Vince to implement cybernetic neovaginas for their male PCs and give them animated orgies with companions.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I wasn't going to wipe out the goblin camp. I was even friendly, and managed to get in there. But then one dude had to tell me that I should lick his boots, and that was that. Some gobbo kids got in the way, and they bit the dust.
There is no living goblin or goblinoid or ogre on my map.

Elthosian

Arcane
A few more reviews, and Swen can teabag Miyamoto, all day long.

It's at 97 already, will probably go down but it's getting much more attention than anyone would have expected. The guy that thought showing the bear scene was a good idea probably has gotten like 4 raises by now.

Btw, it's getting almost as many Google searches as TOTK did during its release week:

Gm80LHa.png

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
Cope, seethe and dilate

swen.jpg

afbeelding.png

Elthosian

Arcane
That's a cope. Opposite will happen, normies brought to the genre by BG3 will now want every RPG to borrow worst parts from it, and will be swarming upcoming smaller titles whining for romances and sex scenes and shit. Can't wait for the crowds to show up in Colony Ship steam forum and start yelling at Vince to implement cybernatic neovaginas for their male PCs and give them animated orgies with companions.

Speaking of that, I already saw a few idiots in the Steam forums complaining that there is a Christian faction when you can choose from 2-3 other paths and oppose them as desired, lol. Fucking newbies.

Mortmal

Arcane
My casual gamer friends have begun playing this and like 70% of them fall for the miscommunication that makes people believe they do *either* Underdark *or* Mountain Pass, and as a result they're underleveled when they reach Act 2.
Is Mountain Pass the Gith creche? Because if so, I missed the whole damn thing for that exact reason.

Exactly. The communication is a massive screw-up on Larian's part - at this point I've seen more people miss it than not. Surprising it went through testing.
It can be even worse, if you fail to repair the lift going directly to the monastery you have to go through the level 6 undead encounter which is far overtuned for most party.

It's not a "miscommunication".

You can use either. Only completionist autists (like Codexers) or people who have been burned by Larian's underleveling before (me) would do both.

Edit: They also make it clear that the mountain pass is more difficult. Everyone recommends the Underdork.
It's not a matter of being completionist they will be underleveled and find the game too hard if they dont do it.

ferratilis

Magister
Cope, seethe and dilate

swen.jpg

afbeelding.png
:excellent:

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Lawl, i had to redo the last fight in the tutorial three times because i HAD to loot everything but that stupid Ilithid kept getting killed by the demon who then proceeded to wreck my party members, so i just resorted to leave the Gollum brain behind as cannon fodder while i made my escape with the booty.
The only stuff worth looting there is the stuff that the demon drops.

Shiiet you can kill the demon?
yes, his 2h sword is probably best you can get for like half of the game.
Not really, it doesn't have an enhancement bonus, only bonus fire damage.

Mojobeard

Augur
The romantic interactions do make sense, but your character has to be a woman.
Imagine taking a romantic walk, sharing intimate gazes and holding hands with Gale. Oh but I was never serious about you, let's just be friends. Sorry Gale.
Have sex with the frog. Oh but I don't think about you that way, let's just be friends. Sorry frog.

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron

I wish BG3 were as good as Record of Lodoss War, but alas. It’s not 1990 anymore.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

It really isn't tho. Even I thought so until I gave it a chance beyond the EA content.

Some things feel familiar due to being the same engine, but you could say the same for Unreal and Deus Ex.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom