Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Kiste

Augur
Oh no.. not like this please, I didn't even say anything sexy to him. I fucked the frog and shart I don't want to take the big bear cock. NOOOOOOO! Larian why have your forsaken me.

Don't be such a pussy. Shut up and take the big bear cock, like you are supposed to.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Order does not imply be against sex , you mix up order with Christian principles, and D&D was always a little degenerate to begin with. Only individuals who enjoy inserting their own values into fictional settings are likely to be thinking that. Sexual activity is not inherently sinful in D&D and is a natural aspect of both religious and ordinary life. Again, those who complain about degeneracy in D&D have no idea what they're talking about. D&D also offers prestige classes that use sex as a technique of manipulation and that not even in fifth edition. D&D is not based as a whole in Medieval Europe even forgotten realms have variety on the setting depending where you are. D&D is not an historical game.
Again answering to Lemming sex is not considered a Sin in the D&D universe.
Come on now. You have played the game, don't you think the ratio between adventuring and degeneracy, aka sex stuff is a bit skewed? Even the legendary Elminster has BDSM gear in his wardrobe.

Mortmal

Arcane
That's precisely a matter of taste.
Translation: You're right because you have all the facts, so I'm going to ramble about shit that has nothing to do with the claims that sexual degeneracy was always a part of D&D.

I'm glad you agree with me. Next time just say that you agree with me instead of creating a strawman to defeat the facts presented.

I don't give a fuck if you like this game. You can't sit there and lie with a straight face about historical facts.
Where did I lie, exactly? I have all the Faerun novels in my library – not my proudest purchases, as there are better fantasy books out there. However, the setting is quite clear: there's sex, and a lot of it, in Faerun. The Simbul, an archmage with a multitude of lovers of both sexes, and Elminster – enough said. The drow society with its matriarchal structure also contributes to this aspect. If anyone has doubts, simply take a look at the ancient Dungeons & Dragons artwork, and it becomes evident.

Self-Ejected
Order does not imply be against sex , you mix up order with Christian principles, and D&D was always a little degenerate to begin with. Only individuals who enjoy inserting their own values into fictional settings are likely to be thinking that. Sexual activity is not inherently sinful in D&D and is a natural aspect of both religious and ordinary life. Again, those who complain about degeneracy in D&D have no idea what they're talking about. D&D also offers prestige classes that use sex as a technique of manipulation and that not even in fifth edition. D&D is not based as a whole in Medieval Europe even forgotten realms have variety on the setting depending where you are. D&D is not an historical game.
Come on now. You have played the game, don't you think the ratio between adventuring and degeneracy, aka sex stuff is a bit skewed? Even the legendary Elminster has BDSM gear in his wardrobe.
Elminster was forced to be a woman for a while by Mystra

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Where did I lie, exactly? I have all the Faerun novels in my library – not my proudest purchases, as there are better fantasy books out there. However, the setting is quite clear: there's sex, and a lot of it, in Faerun. The Simbul, an archmage with a multitude of lovers of both sexes, and Elminster – enough said. The drow society with its matriarchal structure also contributes to this aspect. If anyone has doubts, simply take a look at the ancient Dungeons & Dragons artwork, and it becomes evident.

Yes, all the ones with sex are from after Wizards bought TSR. Why the lie of omission? You do know that if it contained anything sexual in it under TSR it would have never been published. So I ask again why the lies?

Also what the fuck does this have to do with Mebs claim that sex was always a part of D&D? Can you disprove the Code of Ethics from 1984? Do you have any counter evidence to show that what she said is true? No, you can't. This is why you created a strawman. Now, you bring up the strawman again and you'll get silence. No more logical fallacies.

Shaki

Arbiter
Oh fuck it just gets worse, take a hint nigger.

IQXcSFz.jpg
If what I read on reddit is true, this thing here is pretty much the whole "poly" thing they advertised with romances. Every companion is monogamous, except if you also want to fuck Halsin, then you can have him convince the other companion to "share" and engage in bear fucking with you. Y'all thought companions are all playersexual, but they're also all bearsexual.

I have a really strong feeling that Halsin is just a self-insert of one of the Larian writers who's really into furry shit.

Self-Ejected
That's precisely a matter of taste.
Translation: You're right because you have all the facts, so I'm going to ramble about shit that has nothing to do with the claims that sexual degeneracy was always a part of D&D.

I'm glad you agree with me. Next time just say that you agree with me instead of creating a strawman to defeat the facts presented.

I don't give a fuck if you like this game. You can't sit there and lie with a straight face about historical facts.
This... They have no idea lol.

Mortmal

Arcane

Yes, all the ones with sex are from after Wizards bought TSR. Why the lie of omission? You do know that if it contained anything sexual in it under TSR it would have never been published. So I ask again why the lies?
WOTC bought them in 1997 only. Lot of the novels were published way before that.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I'm completely ignorant of what D&D is and so I'll run my mouth.

You'd be surprised since Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson were both Christians. Staunchly at that. Let me show you how wrong you are with the TSR Code of Ethics circa 1984.

tsr-code-of-ethics-1982-jon-peterson-version.jpg

Point 4. All scenes of horror, excessive bloodshed, gory or gruesome scenes, depravity, lust, sadism, and masochism shall not be permitted.

Point 6. Profanity, obscenity/smut, vulgarity or words or symbols which have aquired undesirable meanings - judged by contemporary standards - are prohibited.

I draw your attention to point 10. Nudity in any form is prohibited. Suggestive and salacious scenes are unacceptable.

Point 11. Illicit sex relations are not to be portrayed or discussed and sexual abnormalities are unacceptable.

Point 12. Rape or seduction are never to be portrayed or discussed.

Notice point 13. It clearly says Sex perversion or any inference to same is strictly forbidden.

So you just lied about what is D&D. 6 of 13 points says that you're a goddamn liar.

Did you have anything intelligent to add that actually pertains to the history of the D&D game?

Well, in that case BG/BG2 had already screwed the pooch (so to speak :) ) and this game is just a further slide down the slippery slope.

You should play this though James, there is some fun to be had with it - it's 70% well done responsive virtual world with great moments of immersion, 30% degenerate trash, something like that. It's more a good game than it is bad, and the good bits are sometimes very good indeed, fully as good (relative to time) as the BGs.

I think the reason why this is a hit is the same reason why the BGs were breakout hits - at its best, the CRPG is an adventure simulator and a gesamtkunstwerk (a total work of art using various different artistic forms), and the better the graphics the better that can be brought out. Because we can't yet have realtime (holodeck-like) simulation, we make do with abstraction, and abstraction has its own intrinsic charms, but fundamentally the holodeck is what most people really want, and CRPGs are occasional hits the closer they inch to that every few generations.

And as to the 5e issue, yeah it's streamlined, and yeah I like the quasi-simulationist intricacy of the older systems, but there's something to be said for combat that flows quickly and smoothly too. It depends on how you look at it, and sometimes just what mood you're in. Well it is for me anyway, I like all sorts of games and take them for what they are.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
Don't be such a pussy. Shut up and take the big bear cock, like you are supposed to.

CHARNAME: "Hey bro you are some kinda swole Elf guy you must have a Mrs or something right?"

Halsin: "Let me Poz your bussy with massive bear loads also I will cuck you"

CHARNAME: "Bhaal was right billions must die."

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Someone should dig up Gary and ask him if he always wanted BDSM in his tabletop sessions

I already did and presented the Code of Ethics from 1984 when Gary was still there. There are prior versions of the Code of Ethics floating around and maybe Zed Duke of Banville has a copy of them. He should also weigh in on the entire sex was always a part of D&D.

Thats not relevant.
D&D was always a little degenerate to begin with.

Really? You brought it up. Why are you running away from your statement? Why are you refusing to admit that you were wrong?

WOTC bought them in 1997 only. Lot of the novels were published way before that.

More lies of omission I see. I have the novels from TSR. None of them had sex scenes in them.

You should play this though James, t

No, I won't play trash. I'm too respectable for that.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Elminster was forced to be a woman for a while by Mystra
Not an answer, but are you saying women are deviants?

Mortmal

Arcane
Someone should dig up Gary and ask him if he always wanted BDSM in his tabletop sessions
When Fran Kowalski was on the phone with him, he purportedly reacted with astonishment, exclaiming, "A woman? A woman?" "A woman? No way... A woman...You are a woman". So, I'm not entirely convinced about his openness to the idea of BDSM in D&D.

Self-Ejected

I already did and presented the Code of Ethics from 1984 when Gary was still there. There are prior versions of the Code of Ethics floating around and maybe Zed Duke of Banville has a copy of them. He should also weigh in on the entire sex was always a part of D&D.

Thats not relevant.
D&D was always a little degenerate to begin with.

Really? You brought it up. Why are you running away from your statement? Why are you refusing to admit that you were wrong?

More lies of omission I see. I have the novels from TSR. None of them had sex scenes in them.

You should play this though James, t

I think Mortmal gave all the info you needed if you wish to keep being blind is your problem. Also forgotten realms is not a Gigax creation.

Latro

Arcane

You'd be surprised since Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson were both Christians. Staunchly at that. Let me show you how wrong you are with the TSR Code of Ethics circa 1984.

Point 4. All scenes of horror, excessive bloodshed, gory or gruesome scenes, depravity, lust, sadism, and masochism shall not be permitted.

Point 6. Profanity, obscenity/smut, vulgarity or words or symbols which have aquired undesirable meanings - judged by contemporary standards - are prohibited.

I draw your attention to point 10. Nudity in any form is prohibited. Suggestive and salacious scenes are unacceptable.

Point 11. Illicit sex relations are not to be portrayed or discussed and sexual abnormalities are unacceptable.

Notice point 13. It clearly says Sex perversion or any inference to same is strictly forbidden.

So you just lied about what is D&D. 6 of 13 points says that you're a goddamn liar.

Did you have anything intelligent to add that actually pertains to the history of the D&D game?

Well, in that case BG/BG2 had already screwed the pooch (so to speak :) ) and this game is just a further slide down the slippery slope.

You should play this though James, there is some fun to be had with it - it's 70% well done responsive virtual world with great moments of immersion, 30% degenerate trash, something like that. It's more a good game than it is bad, and the good bits are sometimes very good indeed, fully as good (relative to time) as the BGs.

I think the reason why this is a hit is the same reason why the BGs were breakout hits - at its best, the CRPG is an adventure simulator and a gesamtkunstwerk (a total work of art using various different artistic forms), and the better the graphics the better that can be brought out. Because we can't yet have realtime (holodeck-like) simulation, we make do with abstraction, and abstraction has its own intrinsic charms, but fundamentally the holodeck is what most people really want, and CRPGs are occasional hits the closer they inch to that every few generations.

And as to the 5e issue, yeah it's streamlined, and yeah I like the quasi-simulationist intricacy of the older systems, but there's something to be said for combat that flows quickly and smoothly too. It depends on how you look at it, and sometimes just what mood you're in. Well it is for me anyway, I like all sorts of games and take them for what they are.
BG2 is a bit prudish compared to the incel shit in BG3 tbh. Who knew we would look back at Gaider and admire his restraint?

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
I think Mortmal gave all the info you needed if you wish to keep being blind is your problem. Also forgotten realms is not a Gigax creation.

The only one that's blind and retarded is you. What's the matter Mebs can't adult and take responsibility for being wrong?

Also, Forgotten Realms was published by Gary. He said no sex in the world and that held until Wizards. Now you can shut the fuck about the entire there was sex from the beginning of D&D. Like all women you've never even played the game at the table.

Lemming42

Arcane
People actually enjoy having sex, you know? You have no right to criticize someone because their choices and way of life are entirely their own.
I don't know if this is intended to refer to the points I raised or not (if not, just disregard this post), but since your message came as part of a chain that started with one of my posts:

Again, it's not a problem with sex, it's a problem with the tone-deaf depiction of something that in the real world has nothing to do with actual consensual sex and everything to do with coercion and the exploitation of impoverished and vulnerable people, many of whom are not making "choices" about their "way of life" but instead being actively forced into doing things they don't want to do. This is akin to claiming that people concerned about the health effects McDonalds just hate food, or that people concerned about pollution just hate breathing.

I don't care that everyone in your party wants to touch your genitals (beyond the fact that it's just strangely implemented and badly written), nor does the occasional bit of weird kink shit bother me, some of which was amusing. It's the brothel, specifically, that I object to, because the writers seemingly had no familiarity or awareness of the gravity of what they were actually writing about, and also refused the player the chance to interrogate what was happening or voice any kind of concern, despite the fact that this concern is stated to exist in-universe - which is just straightforwardly bad design in a self-styled "choice-heavy" RPG like this one, even before you get into any thornier issues.

I don't care about D&D canon and whether or not this was always there from 1975, I'll happily admit I'm a casual. If this kind of depiction of prostitution was being written in 1975, it was objectionable then just as it's objectionable now. For comparison's sake, the Temple of Dibella in the Elder Scrolls, which is also full of people who have casual sex with visitors, doesn't bother me at all, because there's no transaction of money or direct parallels to real-world prostitution being drawn, and it doesn't get brought up directly after the player encounters the demographic of people most likely to be trafficked into the sex trade in real life.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

BG2 is a bit prudish compared to the incel shit in BG3 tbh. Who knew we would look back at Gaider and admire his restraint?
Because the old bgs never depicted the realms by the creator vision. And games at the time were aimed to teens. Wich is not the case for BG3. Bg3 is more true to the original FR creator vision.

Self-Ejected

The only one that's blind and retarded is you. What's the matter Mebs can't adult and take responsibility for being wrong?

Also, Forgotten Realms was published by Gary. He said no sex in the world and that held until Wizards. Now you can shut the fuck about the entire there was sex from the beginning of D&D. Like all women you've never even played the game at the table.
Then Gary agreed with Ed vision. Hat was what i posted. Wrong again.

Latro

Arcane

Because the old bgs never depicted the realms by the creator vision. And games at the time were aimed to teens. Wich is not the case for BG3. Bg3 is more true to the original FR creator vision.
Didn’t Dixon just establish Greenwood came later with his incel fantasy shit?

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

It has some trash, it has elements of trash, it contains some trash, but most of it's not trash. If you have any feeling for the CRPG as an adventure sim, you will find lots to like.

But somebody has to hold the line, I guess :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom