Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Sunri

Liturgist
I paid 1000 gold to have foursome with shadowhart and drow twins and i didnt even get a cutscene just a few lines of text wtf swen!

Naraya

Arcane
Gak05UB.png

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
Most creative people are shitlibs and a lot of nerd culture is derived from their "Reagan Bad" or "Nixon Bad" products
Why is it tho that most alt-right culture warriors always sit on the absolute bottom of the consoomer chain? The numbers of right wingers actually creating something that also resonates with a broad audience is very small.

Is it because "BG3 - Tiefling Holocaust" sounds like shit? Probably. Makes you think, does it?
Most right wing people are more drawn to pragmatic fields of work compared to artistic ones

Yep.

Each according to their abilities. Now fix my toilet.
Plumbers make good money. More than you I bet

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
Gatekeepers, knowing the process, feel they have to get nasty, tell these people to fuck off, make their hobby ngovernable, to maintain any hope of having their hard-won culture survive.

I'm sure the constant talk about fags, niggers, whores and jews and whatnot ruining the hobby will tremendously help push the narrative that Gatekeepers have the moral high ground. Are you winning son?

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
Besides the terrible romance, I find the party members a significant flaw in the game. Pretty boring and lame. Gale is a boring faggot, Wyll could have been cool but is a lame faggot, Asterion is decently written but I hate the character, shadow pussy is alright but the rest kind of suck.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The greatest works of fictions are based on human fear in the future. That is why both sw and st will be forgotten in a generation,they were based on the now not the future
You could say they have outlived the societal and cultural context which made them iconic. But in that context then, their creation was more or less inevitable.

I wonder sometimes what would be the subject matter and the story and characters who would summarize the post-2010 era? What would be the Star Wars movie of present day - would it feature AIs, eccentric tech billionaires, corrupt politicians? If you had to do a "the 2010s in one picture" the same way you have "the 1990s in one picture", what would that be?
Tyranny of the genericue.

Those products outlived its relevance because their creators had no imagination nor talent. They just gobbled up a bunch of random shit and came up with a generic mix of relevant garbo. Muh arturian wizards in space fighting muh evul nazies....sooo original lol. Or muh communistic utopia born from the brain of a lazy pedo libtard. Both of those works are extremely shallow and one dimentional. Shallow works do go the way of the dodo,that shit will be forgotten the same way the rock is. Those are generic products made for kwans ,the most shallowest consumer creatures on the planet.

Dishonoredbr

Erudite
SKALD: Against the Black Priory will be a non-horny game:

A new dichotomy is being born in front of our eyes.

It certainly help making people talking about your game. Some ''negative attention'' is always positive. It creates drama. Maybe they learn this from Cyberpunk 2077 marketing.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamer.com/if-youre-pl...ce-on-what-to-do-with-companions-ignore-them/

If you're playing Baldur's Gate 3 multiplayer, Larian's boss has advice on what to do with companions: ignore them​

Whether singleplayer or multiplayer, you'll have the best time focusing on your party and ignoring the companions you don't have room for.

It took me a few hours with Baldur's Gate 3 to fully come to a realization that is pretty dang obvious in hindsight—if you're playing in four-player co-op like I am, there's absolutely no room for more companions in your life.

The first two hours of Baldur's Gate 3 are a flurry of meet-and-greets with other weirdos who got tadpoles shoved in their eyeballs, and pretty soon we'd stacked up companion quests with Lae'zel, Shadowheart, Astarion, Wyll, and Gale with interesting stories splintering off in all directions. But with a party full of custom characters we couldn't have any of our new friends tag along with us, so they just sat back at camp, and I kept running into quest objectives that I couldn't make any progress on without one of those companions tagging along.

It felt wrong to ignore those quests—I mean, they're right there in my journal, begging to be completed! Like many RPG players, I have trouble leaving any quest unsolved, and chatting with my companions every time I came back to camp felt like a half-measure. So in an interview on Monday with Larian Studios founder Swen Vincke, I asked for advice on how best to interact with companions in a four-player game.

His advice? Eh, maybe don't.

"Personally, and this will be different for different people, I would keep them for a singleplayer playthrough or a co-op playthrough with just two players, where you take some companions with you," Vincke said. "A large part of the storytelling of these characters is when they're with you in the world."

Vincke elaborated that if your companions are stuck at camp, any conversation you have with them will be based on a "hearsay" conversation system. In other words, they'll be able to react to what you tell them, but they won't really know what happened because they weren't there, so you'll be missing out on the reactions you'd get if the companions were in your party. You'll also miss out on unique interactions with the many NPCs in the world who already know your companions.

"Your connection to these characters is going to be much shallower than if you had them with you," he said. "I would probably advise if you're playing in multiplayer, focus on your party—as you do in singleplayer, actually, just focus on your party and enjoy it and roleplay it to the full extent. You can have any number of companions in camp, but it's not going to be the same thing. It's going to be much stronger if you're doing it in singleplayer."

Vincke's advice sure makes sense, even if it goes against my instinct to leave no scrap of story untouched. But Baldur's Gate 3 is such a massive game, I'm realizing the surest way to have a bad time is to fret over doing and seeing every last thing. It's incredibly rare for a game to enable and reward truly roleplaying a character in the way this one does, and I'm going to have a much better time focusing on how my paladin fits into my co-op group if I don't worry too much about the folks back at camp who aren't adventuring with us.

If you're also playing in multiplayer, Vincke had one other bit of advice: make sure you know what kind of group you have. Talk about what you want to get out of the game, even, and how much you care about the story.

"There's typical types of groups that play multiplayer. If you have the type that will explain to each other and wait for each other, they'll get a really good sense of the story," he said. "If they go off in all four directions on the map and start shenanigans and don't tell anything to anybody, then it becomes hard."

Vincke gave me an example from earlier in development where two devs were playing together. One really wanted to experience the story, while the other played as a "murder hobo" who, well, mostly just went around killing people. By the time the story-focused dev arrived in the Underdark, his companion had already killed off all the NPCs who could explain the significance of an important drow named Nere, who he kept running into oblique references to.

"He never knew who this was," Vincke said. "He found these references and was like 'Who the fuck is Nere?' I said, 'What do you mean you don't know?' They were all dead! But that is the nature of the game. If that's how you play, that's how you play, and if you can still get to the end that's your experience."

Before Baldur's Gate 3 released, I laughed at Vincke talking about multiple playthroughs and recommending against playing the game for the first time as an origin character. Most players don't even finish short games—who's got time to beat this 100-hour RPG twice!? Now that I'm 15 hours into it, I think the answer is: Me. I do. Because as much as I'm loving this co-op experience, I now know what a dramatically different experience is waiting for me when I play again solo. And Vincke was just being honest about what he'd learned from playing the game himself, not just developing it.

"I've played it multiple times over, and keep on finding new adventures for myself to have. It's certainly rich enough, there's enough content, but certain content works better depending on how you play," he said. "I don't have any real preference [between singleplayer and multiplayer], I find fun in both kinds of play. But when we're playing in multiplayer it's more fooling around with the systems, 'can I do this?' and 'can I do that?' whereas in singleplayer it's more 'this is my story.'"

HammyTheFat

Scholar
Most creative people are shitlibs and a lot of nerd culture is derived from their "Reagan Bad" or "Nixon Bad" products
Why is it tho that most alt-right culture warriors always sit on the absolute bottom of the consoomer chain? The numbers of right wingers actually creating something that also resonates with a broad audience is very small.

Is it because "BG3 - Tiefling Holocaust" sounds like shit? Probably. Makes you think, does it?
Go play arcanum and be quiet.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Most right wing people are more drawn to pragmatic fields of work compared to artistic ones

Yep.

Each according to their abilities. Now fix my toilet.
Plumbers make good money. More than you I bet
Naturally,after all he can't fix shitter. Now you could lead a pretty decent life without his "creative" produce....but a life without a working shitter....now that is whole different thing, Sooo market demand mate.

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
Plumbers make good money.

Whoever says "Plumbers make good money" never made good money.

The average Plumber salary in Germany is €22,620 per year. Entry level Plumber positions start at €20,220 per year. Experienced senior Plumber positions can get up to €31,200 per year.

That is not good money.
I doubt that. I just googled it and average plumber salary in the US is 60,000. It's expensive as fuck to call a plumber to your home

Dishonoredbr

Erudite
https://www.pcgamer.com/if-youre-pl...ce-on-what-to-do-with-companions-ignore-them/

If you're playing Baldur's Gate 3 multiplayer, Larian's boss has advice on what to do with companions: ignore them​

Whether singleplayer or multiplayer, you'll have the best time focusing on your party and ignoring the companions you don't have room for.

It took me a few hours with Baldur's Gate 3 to fully come to a realization that is pretty dang obvious in hindsight—if you're playing in four-player co-op like I am, there's absolutely no room for more companions in your life.

The first two hours of Baldur's Gate 3 are a flurry of meet-and-greets with other weirdos who got tadpoles shoved in their eyeballs, and pretty soon we'd stacked up companion quests with Lae'zel, Shadowheart, Astarion, Wyll, and Gale with interesting stories splintering off in all directions. But with a party full of custom characters we couldn't have any of our new friends tag along with us, so they just sat back at camp, and I kept running into quest objectives that I couldn't make any progress on without one of those companions tagging along.

It felt wrong to ignore those quests—I mean, they're right there in my journal, begging to be completed! Like many RPG players, I have trouble leaving any quest unsolved, and chatting with my companions every time I came back to camp felt like a half-measure. So in an interview on Monday with Larian Studios founder Swen Vincke, I asked for advice on how best to interact with companions in a four-player game.

His advice? Eh, maybe don't.

"Personally, and this will be different for different people, I would keep them for a singleplayer playthrough or a co-op playthrough with just two players, where you take some companions with you," Vincke said. "A large part of the storytelling of these characters is when they're with you in the world."

Vincke elaborated that if your companions are stuck at camp, any conversation you have with them will be based on a "hearsay" conversation system. In other words, they'll be able to react to what you tell them, but they won't really know what happened because they weren't there, so you'll be missing out on the reactions you'd get if the companions were in your party. You'll also miss out on unique interactions with the many NPCs in the world who already know your companions.

"Your connection to these characters is going to be much shallower than if you had them with you," he said. "I would probably advise if you're playing in multiplayer, focus on your party—as you do in singleplayer, actually, just focus on your party and enjoy it and roleplay it to the full extent. You can have any number of companions in camp, but it's not going to be the same thing. It's going to be much stronger if you're doing it in singleplayer."

Vincke's advice sure makes sense, even if it goes against my instinct to leave no scrap of story untouched. But Baldur's Gate 3 is such a massive game, I'm realizing the surest way to have a bad time is to fret over doing and seeing every last thing. It's incredibly rare for a game to enable and reward truly roleplaying a character in the way this one does, and I'm going to have a much better time focusing on how my paladin fits into my co-op group if I don't worry too much about the folks back at camp who aren't adventuring with us.

If you're also playing in multiplayer, Vincke had one other bit of advice: make sure you know what kind of group you have. Talk about what you want to get out of the game, even, and how much you care about the story.

"There's typical types of groups that play multiplayer. If you have the type that will explain to each other and wait for each other, they'll get a really good sense of the story," he said. "If they go off in all four directions on the map and start shenanigans and don't tell anything to anybody, then it becomes hard."

Vincke gave me an example from earlier in development where two devs were playing together. One really wanted to experience the story, while the other played as a "murder hobo" who, well, mostly just went around killing people. By the time the story-focused dev arrived in the Underdark, his companion had already killed off all the NPCs who could explain the significance of an important drow named Nere, who he kept running into oblique references to.

"He never knew who this was," Vincke said. "He found these references and was like 'Who the fuck is Nere?' I said, 'What do you mean you don't know?' They were all dead! But that is the nature of the game. If that's how you play, that's how you play, and if you can still get to the end that's your experience."

Before Baldur's Gate 3 released, I laughed at Vincke talking about multiple playthroughs and recommending against playing the game for the first time as an origin character. Most players don't even finish short games—who's got time to beat this 100-hour RPG twice!? Now that I'm 15 hours into it, I think the answer is: Me. I do. Because as much as I'm loving this co-op experience, I now know what a dramatically different experience is waiting for me when I play again solo. And Vincke was just being honest about what he'd learned from playing the game himself, not just developing it.

"I've played it multiple times over, and keep on finding new adventures for myself to have. It's certainly rich enough, there's enough content, but certain content works better depending on how you play," he said. "I don't have any real preference [between singleplayer and multiplayer], I find fun in both kinds of play. But when we're playing in multiplayer it's more fooling around with the systems, 'can I do this?' and 'can I do that?' whereas in singleplayer it's more 'this is my story.'"
I don't get what they love so much in a Co-Op mode for a CRPG..

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine

The average Plumber salary in Germany is €22,620 per year. Entry level Plumber positions start at €20,220 per year. Experienced senior Plumber positions can get up to €31,200 per year.

That is not good money.
Plubmers can end you anytime they want retard.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

That is not good money.
Perhaps he wasn't referring to a plumber, but THAT kind of "plumber" instead...

Eisenheinrich

Scholar

That is not good money.
I doubt that. I just googled it and average plumber salary in the US is 60,000. It's expensive as fuck to call a plumber to your home

As most pleople, I'm not living in the US. Sorry for your expensive plumbing services. Just call SDG next time.

Last edited:

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
omfg lol you can click the + sign next to the hotbar to expand it with more rows

this ui is very functional when you "get it" (though I'm still missing hotkey functionality?), but fucking hell is it ever uneccesarily esoteric
Esoteric?

Yes. It's very unintuitive in my opinion
It's a litmus test to see if people are retarded.

If you see them complaining about the UI, they are low IQ.
It's a staple of every classic RPG. Infinity engine had THACO, MotB had the spirit meter.. BG3 has the UI :salute:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Lmao, so i killed the goblins, and i get caught for "stealing" from their corpses. Just noticed that on some of them the loot icon was red, not sure why since they are enemies. Turns out some female tiefling was coming in to have a line of dialog. Once she left i could loot everything undisturbed.

Anyway, first big sidequest i meet in the game and it's already a plot about rapefugees. Noice, they didn't waste any time with this shit.

Also, i just realized you can save in the middle of a conversation. This makes savescumming the most broken shit in this game. I think i need to make a couple of house rules here. For instance, i got an influence loss with Astarion for telling the tiefling chief i'll look into convincing the druids to delay the ritual. I could have sent him back to the camp, but i'll take the loss instead. Since he is evil and i'm a paladin, it fits that he should end up hating me.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Sexuality should be part of their character, it defines a person.
It's funny how both extreme woke and extreme anti-woke agree on this. Sexuality is part of a person but hardly defining for most of them.

Sodomy isn’t sexual.

Sexual is a type of reproduction, which is something an organism does when it is time to exit the stage to make way for new players, not to take the spotlight for oneself.

That’s why it’s not a great fit for the genre in the first place, which is why it wasn’t really there then. There are no kama sutra splatbooks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom