Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Aaaand another thing: all that evident chopping and changing with the plot has led to a complete mess of different-sounding vocal takes from the various actors. There are so many edits with different-quality audio it gets really annoying and jarring. Even if they were using several studios simulataneously, they should have had like 3 or 4 Larian "vocal recording laptops" with specific mics (e.g. a Neumann TLM103, which is basically a much cheaper, cut-down version of the Neumann U87, still the industry standard mic for vocals AFAIK) a good, simple audio interface (one of the cheap ones that's cut down on inputs and features but high quality) and specific software, the same on each laptop. Maybe £1500 a pop? (The laptops don't even have to be all that powerful just to record a bazillion alternative vocal takes with some basic neutral input processing, just a compressor/eq, with each actor having their own slightly different setting.) With a budget of millions that's a mere drop in the ocean.

All they really needed studios for was a) the location close to the actor and b) soundproofed vocal booths, to some general standard (which could be tested by a Larian guy before use).

What it sounds like Larian did was rely on the various studios' specifications - bad idea.

Aaaand another thing. The fucking gurning on my character in convos is really starting to piss me off big time. I thought the whole fucking point of not having a VO protagonist was not to force a character on the player? Yet here we are, with your character having very specific emotional reactions that don't jibe with your rp flavour in your head, most of the time. A particularly horrific case in point being the lovelorn gurning you do with Gale as a male player, but there are hugely inappropriate - for my character - emotions displayed in convo animations throughout.

Just give the player character a neutral expression ffs. Or, if you have the time to do all that animation shit, do them in sets where you can choose between "fluffy," "neutral," "stoic" characterization, etc.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Aaaand another thing: all that evident chopping and changing with the plot has led to a complete mess of different-sounding vocal takes from the various actors. There are so many edits with different-quality audio it gets really annoying and jarring.

I noticed this a lot in Act 3.. even companions where their voice sounds completely different between two audio clips.

I think it's common for audio to be redone.. but they clearly hired a buncha amateurs to voice most of this and they had almost no quality control. Sometimes a character just randomly sounds like they have a cold or they just woke up in a random dialogue node then goes back to their normal voice.

"Clearly the tadpole fucking with your hearing, we planned this from the start"

volklore

Arcane
Aaaand another thing: all that evident chopping and changing with the plot has led to a complete mess of different-sounding vocal takes from the various actors. There are so many edits with different-quality audio it gets really annoying and jarring.

I noticed this a lot in Act 3.. even companions where their voice sounds completely different between two audio clips.

I think it's common for audio to be redone.. but they clearly hired a buncha amateurs to voice most of this and they had almost no quality control. Sometimes a character just randomly sounds like they have a cold or they just woke up in a random dialogue node then goes back to their normal voice.

Hmm didn't notice that yet. Sad. Voice-acting is actually noticeably good for the most part, which is quite rare.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Hmm didn't notice that yet. Sad. Voice-acting is actually noticeably good for the most part, which is quite rare.

The quality of the voice acting in terms of performance isn't in dispute, it's excellent throughout mostly, really well directed and obviously worked on intensively in terms of getting the best out of the actors.

It's the variability in audio tone, "quality" in that sense (which is down to different processsors being used - different compession/eq boxes/softwares - I refuse to believe that they didn't specify the same mic, that would be just asinine, but that's only part of the chain) that's really amateurish in places.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

As I said to volkore, it's not the quality of the performances in and of themselves that's the problem, it's the difference in audio quality. As an audio guy, I think I understand the problem (which I'm kind of explaining here), but it's pretty bad in places (as you say, sometimes they sound like they've got the cold or whatever, that's down to the difference in audio quality).

Something went very right with the direction of the voice acting, in terms of drawing the best out of performers and getting generally good context-specific feeling-tones to the performances, but something went quite wonky in the audio chain side of things.

Expanding on this further, it sounds like what they should have done but didn't do, was record the audio through a "Larian audio recording laptop and mic combo" as described above, feed the digital out to the studio's software, let the studio people do any on-the-spot editing, and process it however they liked for the monitoring only, but give back the edited but unprocessed versions of the audio files to Larian, so Larian's own audio team would be able to process all the different audio batches uniformly. But what it sounds like they did (maybe because it's such a huge project that they were pushed for time) was maybe specify the same mic/compressor for all sessions (some industry standard like the U87/Urei 1176 combo that every pro studio will have), but not exert enough control over the different types of monitoring processing that each studio used, and let the various studios "bake in" their various idiosyncratic processings.

On third though, it actually could be resolvable, because if they did it that way because they were pushed for time, then because everything will have been meticulously ordered in a database, they ought to be able to request the raw audio files from the various studios, so they can process them uniformly for an Enhanced Edition. That way, if they specified a certain input chain (a particular mic/compressor combo - which would still have more variability than the "Larian laptop" idea, because mics and hardware boxes can sound a bit different from studio to studio - but less variability than the variability we've got in the game now) that's the same in all recordings, then there will be more uniformity of tone if they can do what I've just described (request the raw files from the studios and process them all uniformly).

Last edited:

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Most of the voice actors are literally just doing their own voice and living into their own personality.

The person who voiced Karlach literally acts and sounds like Karlach IRL. You can call that authentic certainly.. but I wouldn't call them talented. Everyone is a professional method actor of themselves.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

jf8350143

Liturgist
Just a little details about them changing the plot:

In the chinese localization, there are several lines of dialgoue were not translated, and according to the translator, it's due to those dialogues was added so late they didn't even have the time to translate it.

Zariusz

Arbiter
I just realised that there are no belt slots in our equipment and i found that apparently belts were available at some point in EA. It would be better to have that one item slot more rather than stuffing most of magic effects into gloves and rings like we have now.

Vyvian

Educated
My character said "Ghaik" when talking about a dead Mind Flayer.
She is not a Githyanki. I didn't know certain voices were meant for certain races.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Biggest improvement is the performance.

Known game breaking bugs that make Act 3 a disjointed almost unplayable mess.. but let's focus on performance improvements around crowd counts because our snoypigs are gonna be paying for this slop in a few weeks. :smug:

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter

Known game breaking bugs that make Act 3 a disjointed almost unplayable mess.. but let's focus on performance improvements around crowd counts because our snoypigs are gonna be paying for this slop in a few weeks. :smug:
Unplayable? Lol hyperbole much.

Anyway I am needed in the Starfield thread to celebrate my official coronation as RPG king now that the Todd(ler) has fallen.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

Anyway I am needed in the Starfield thread to celebrate my official coronation as RPG king now that the Todd(ler) has fallen.

Your gonna be pouring grape juice into Todd(ler)'s sippy cup when Starfield ecplises Baldur's Gayte 3 in sales.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter

Your gonna be pouring grape juice into Todd(ler)'s sippy cup when Starfield ecplises Baldur's Gayte 3 in sales.
I doubt Starflop is going to sell that well now after so many sh*t reviews. But MS has more marketing money so could be...

MerchantKing

Learned

I doubt Starflop is going to sell that well now after so many sh*t reviews. But MS has more marketing money so could be...
No one cares about Starfield. Bethesda games aren't even rpgs at this point. The entire Bethesda forum should be moved to the adventure game forum. Now lets get back on topic and keep talking about how big of a mess BG3 is.

Kiste

Augur
having gay sex with the emperor should pop an achievement so we could point and laugh at those who did it
also other degenerate things like trying on fem underwear, romancing the frog or playing as a female
what's wrong with playing as a female?
It is teh gae.

More gay than getting your rectum invaded by Gale?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom