Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Tyrr

Liturgist

Rhe5TX8.jpg

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Though his quest log is much smaller than he thinks because half if not more of these quests are basically connected.
it doesn't matter if they're connected.
the game gives you XP for each one of them

That just means you can focus on the critical path to be done with it.
I don't play a game to be done with.
I like to do side quests for the full immersion

Also I really don't know how someone can botch this XP income thing.

The game is fairly railroaded and the combat encounters are scripted at various points in the game. It's not like you can have random encounters to abuse it and gain infinite XP

Also they give XP when a follower is inspired. lol
Like the designers were afraid no player will reach lvl cap.

It's better to farm XP in a game via side quests to reach higher levels to smash some particular enemies than to reach lvl cap too early in the game.

The same problem was with Pilllows of Eternity.
PoE2 I never finished but I doubt they resolved it.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Of all the things to complain about, you picked the dumbest one. Just start over, and talk about cut content, or quests triggering before you are aware of them, or the two legacy characters being recruited too late into the game, etc.

Sarathiour

Cipher
fuckin stupid game. reaching level cap with so many quests active and only half of "lower city" explored.
Would you rather the PF:KM never reach the level cap treatment?
Post-patch and defintive edition, you reach level cap one or two fight before the lantern king, assuming you're going for this ending, and also assuming your were successful on all your ability roll in rushlight tournament.

Sorry, I don't see it. All valid points to me.
Yeah but how out of touch do you have to be to wander into LA CASA DE NORMIE like the Larian forums, add a note about "no sane civilization would create a 50% male and 50% female military because there’s this thing called chivalry and another thing called biology" in the middle of your complaints about bugs and think it's gonna be well received?

MerchantKing

Learned
fuckin stupid game. reaching level cap with so many quests active and only half of "lower city" explored.
Yes. Only powerbuilders complain about not reaching the cap.
KM and WoTR have much better xp.
Though his quest log is much smaller than he thinks because half if not more of these quests are basically connected.
You do reach the cap in KM. In fact, it's possible to grind XP (and billions of gold) in KM by grinding Bane of the Living.

Black

Arcane
"What would Fallout do"
In FO1 you don't reach level cap of 21 because it's unnecessary and requires farming deathclaws.
In FO2 you don't reach level cap of 99 because lol.
What's the problem with not reaching the level cap?

La vie sexuelle

Learned
https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=896534#Post896534

Can't believe how lame and utterly gay the official Larian forums are. Resetera tier.

Guy outlines his issues with CURRENT_YEAR things and gets banned. The forums are not even worth reading while on the shitter.

You're surprised? The official forums are for marketing purposes only. If ideological threads are woven into the product, the only "live" users will be those who approve of the official political line.
A little maybe. I didn't know they embraced the resetera type of moderation.

Westerners are like that now. Karl Marx won culture war. I'm sorry :(

kangaxx

Arbiter
Am I alone in developing a distaste for Tieflings? It's not so much BG3 itself as it is the player base's psychotic obsession with fucking Tieflings.

I'm not being hyperbolic when I say 75% of all BG3 videos, pictures, and references from fans all showcase some God-Damned Tiefling, usually female.

On the subreddit there's a "Show your Tav" thread. It's consistently like 70-90% Tieflings and these guys put so much fuckin' effort into desparately trying to make their Blue-Skinned, mega-horned, wounded-bird, female Tiefling bard/sorceresses unique.

I'm at the point where I praise seeing half-orcs and Dragonborns. Oh, and God-forbid anyone play a dwarf. Of all the races, no one, not a single soul seems to play a Dwarf.
I've actually started a second playthrough to be as evil as possible with a dwarf. Smashed that silly Tiefling's lute and everything.

MerchantKing

Learned
"What would Fallout do"
In FO1 you don't reach level cap of 21 because it's unnecessary and requires farming deathclaws.
Funny thing is that you'll never see JRPG players complain about having to grind to reach the level cap.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
"What would Fallout do"
Funny thing is that you'll never see JRPG players complain about having to grind to reach the level cap.
Because you are not required to reach level cap in any JRPG that I have played. It's an optional autist activity.

MerchantKing

Learned
"What would Fallout do"
Because you are not required to reach level cap in any JRPG that I have played. It's an optional autist activity.
You don't have to reach the level cap in most rpgs. The desire for a requirement that you have to hit the level cap is something that's only popping up now in regards to defending BG3's low level cap and the ability to reach that level cap before you even got halfway through act 3.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
"What would Fallout do"
You don't have to reach the level cap in most rpgs. The desire for a requirement that you have to hit the level cap is something that's only popping up now in regards to defending BG3's low level cap and the ability to reach that level cap before you even got halfway through act 3.
yeah, no excuse, reaching level cap before having finished the game is depressing

Shaki

Arbiter
All DnD games have problems with level cap, the reason why Fallout 2 or Jrpgs didn't have this issue, is because their systems were different. In majority of JRPGs, the only thing lvlups add are some numbers, so you can completely ignore lvl cap, let people lvl up endlessly, no fucking problem. Fallout had some perks gated behind levels, highest are at lvl 24, but they can still let you levelup for a looooong time after that, with no more unlocks but letting you pick previously unlocked ones, there is no class and shit to limit you, you can let player grind random encounters for 500 hours and get all the perks in the game if he wants.

DnD and similar systems, on the other hand, have class-specific leveling, and nearly every level is supposed to unlock some class specific stuff. New spells, abilities and shit. You have to pick a level cap, and you have to pick one that majority of players will reach some time before the ending of the game, because every new level you offer players requires shitload of dev work, and you don't want people to finish the game underleveled and miss out on that, because ofc devs want every retard to consoom all the content they created, otherwise these precious work hours are wasted and that's the biggest sin in a modern gaming dev world. Average casual will usually skip a lot of side quests, so devs tend to make level cap very easily reachable, which unfortunately also means that completionist players will reach it far too fast.

I always thought the problem was in devs trying to stick too much to the DnD and also blindly following the way games like BG2 did it, ignoring the fact that this shit doesn't really work well in a video game format. Devs could easily add some retarded "prestige levels" or some shit like that, which would be achievable after reaching level cap, and could give you ability to pick more of the stuff you had available on lower levels, or give some abilities from other classes etc., which wouldn't require much dev work, but would make things more satisfying for completionist players - pretty much what Fallout 2 does. If extra levels make content too easy, then simply add some harder difficulty modes to choose, slap +50% stats on enemies, call it "unfair" and your work is done, everyone's happy.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
All DnD games have problems with level cap, the reason why Fallout 2 or Jrpgs didn't have this issue, is because their systems were different. In majority of JRPGs, the only thing lvlups add are some numbers, so you can completely ignore lvl cap, let people lvl up endlessly, no fucking problem. Fallout had some perks gated behind levels, highest are at lvl 24, but they can still let you levelup for a looooong time after that, with no more unlocks but letting you pick previously unlocked ones, there is no class and shit to limit you, you can let player grind random encounters for 500 hours and get all the perks in the game if he wants.

DnD and similar systems, on the other hand, have class-specific leveling, and nearly every level is supposed to unlock some class specific stuff. New spells, abilities and shit. You have to pick a level cap, and you have to pick one that majority of players will reach some time before the ending of the game, because every new level you offer players requires shitload of dev work, and you don't want people to finish the game unleveled and miss out on that. Average casual will usually skip a lot of side quests, so devs tend to make level cap very easily reachable, which unfortunately also means that completionist players will reach it far too fast.

I always thought the problem was in devs trying to stick too much to the DnD and also blindly following the way games like BG2 did it, ignoring the fact that this shit doesn't really work well in a video game format. Devs could easily add some retarded "prestige levels" or some shit like that, which would be achievable after reaching level cap, and could give you ability to pick more of the stuff you had available on lower levels, or give some abilities from other classes etc., which wouldn't require much dev work, but would make things more satisfying for completionist players - pretty much what Fallout 2 does. If extra levels make content too easy, then simply add some harder difficulty modes to choose, slap +50% stats on enemies, call it "unfair" and your work is done, everyone's happy.
Kotor 2 had Prestige classes, but you needed to be strongly Light Side or Dark Side aligned and had to be at least level 15 in your base Jedi class.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
BTW animals have most personality in BG3. Like they are likely the only decently written characters.

There were sentences like "have you even tried to shitting helmet? Amateurs."
Basically most animals have decent style and acts as animals. In contrast to them most characters in BG3 act as forced actors. There are exceptions but...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom