Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
The problem of the combat is that you deal way too much damage and since they change the initiative roll into d4 rather than d20, it's pretty much guarrenteed you have at least one or two characters move first, and they can take out a buch of enemies just by themsleves.

It basically turn into a Xcom 2 style game play in act 3: kill anything that has any threat before they can do anything. So the only fight that has any difficulty are the ones that have too many enemies for you to clear out in one round(for example shadowheart's personal quest). Even Ansur can be take down in just one round.
That was the same with D:OS games as well. You wanted TB that’s what it often comes down to.

Hagashager

Educated
Shadowheart's personal quest finale was an absolute bastard of a fight in large part because of multiple mages all spamming Darkness. Darkness doesn't function like in Table-Top, it's effectively a paralysis AoE with no viable counter (Light only lasts one turn). There's being really tough, like the Githyanki, and then there's just spamming broken spells.

I noticed, like D:OS II, BG3 is big on throwing hordes at the player in the late game, but unlike D:OS II it's not always easy to just keep everything on fire forever (which got dull fast btw).

I found Tactician mostly fair except for instances when the game just throws 20+ enemies at you. By sheer numbers you will lose unless you win initiative.

I'm glad initiative is a d4 because if you don't have at least one Party member going relatively early in the queue you're gonna lose half your party.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Darkness doesn't function like in Table-Top, it's effectively a paralysis AoE with no viable counter
Devil's Sight counters it, but it only works on the warlock. Counterspells also help, but you need to bring enough casters for it.

But it does sound bugged.

Meh. I'm going to wait a bit before tackling this game again for a proper Durge playthrough. I want to go in loaded with anti-pozz mods and with as many bugs patched as possible.

Hagashager

Educated
Darkness doesn't function like in Table-Top, it's effectively a paralysis AoE with no viable counter
Devil's Sight counters it, but it only works on the warlock. Counterspells also help, but you need to bring enough casters for it.

But it does sound bugged.

Meh. I'm going to wait a bit before tackling this game again for a proper Durge playthrough. I want to go in loaded with anti-pozz mods and with as many bugs patched as possible.
It's bugged by way of its behavior. Darkness functions as a cloud spell. When you're in the cloud you cannot do anything other than run. You cannot jump, you cannot teleport, you cannot cast *any* spell that isn't a buff, you can't even cast a spell right at your feet. The only non-run action you can do is attack if the enemy is *right on top* of you, and even that gets dicey.

The biggest bullshit though is it can dispel Cloudkill and other vaporous spell types.

As a single cast it's annoying, but not unmanageable. The Shadowheart final fight has around 6 mages who all just cast darkness, leading to instances where over half the field is darkened.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Darkvision doesn't work I take it, even Superior?

Seems like there are some items that grant immunity?

Hagashager

Educated

The only persistent counter is Warlock's Devil vision.

Light is supposed to be the counter, and is in table-top, but for some reason, either as a bug or intentional, the spell's effect only lasts one turn. The little ball or glowing weapon will still shine, but it's mechanically useless after the initial round. For some reason it just doesn't work.

No, dark vision does not work.

This is only really a problem in the shadowheart finale. Darkness is cast very rarely in other parts of the game.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

There's a Blindness immunity ring, that apparently can be found before the Gauntlet (though I seem to have missed it on Saturday, will need to go back a little). Also there are 2 helmets - but in Act 3.
And of course, last but not least, the evil path quest reward from that very area, though you rather cannot have it before....

Anyway, there's eventually enough stuff to possibly equip the entire party with Blindness immunity, should you like the theme.

jf8350143

Liturgist
I wish they eventually make a DM mode for the game, or at least let people make their own campaign like Solista.

They have one in D:OS2, so they might make one later.

jackofshadows

Magister
This is only really a problem in the shadowheart finale.
Darkness is pretty annoying but the casters can be controlled/dispatched quickly. What's another problem is that ALL of the enemies not only have immunity to radiant damage but reflecting it on its dealer. Meaning any paladin you bring is fucking useless there. Yeah, on "good" playthrough it's another good encounter, forgot about it. (on "evil" path you can via checks turn like half of the enemies on your side).

Hagashager

Educated
This is only really a problem in the shadowheart finale.
Darkness is pretty annoying but the casters can be controlled/dispatched quickly. What's another problem is that ALL of the enemies not only have immunity to radiant damage but reflecting it on its dealer. Meaning any paladin you bring is fucking useless there. Yeah, on "good" playthrough it's another good encounter, forgot about it. (on "evil" path you can via checks turn like half of the enemies on your side).
The radiant retribution shit on almost everyone was very annoying, yes. Ironically it made all the Selune buffs on shadowheart useless. She had Radiant Orb gear that gave passive radiant damage buffs to any party member near her as well as that Selunized spear that also radiated holy damage. I kept wondering why party members were getting downed after they killed an enemy. In my first attempt.

Focusing the mages against all else and tanking everyone's hits was how I beat Shart's finale. On my successful fight I managed to prevent all of the mages from ever casting darkness, but man that was a long, long fight. I think around 45 minutes when all was said and done.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Light is supposed to be the counter, and is in table-top
No, light is a cantrip it can not and should not counter Darkness as it's a level 2 spell.
Daylight is counter for Darkness.
Git gut or rtfm.
Yes,  Daylight, my description of the spell obviously meant I was talking about that and not the cantrip.

Pedantic jackass....
As you say, bro.
Just make sure you cast Daylight, not just mean it when casting Light.

jf8350143

Liturgist
Tried the dark urge origin. The killing your lover scene should be in act 3. Currently it happens right after you get to the inn, which is normally pretty early in act 2.

But in the scene they will always act more like you spouse rather than someone you just met a few days and might have a thing going on.

Also there aren't enough unique options to justify dark urge's character. 90% of the time it's just the same with Tav.

DemonKing

Arcane
Shadowheart's personal quest finale was an absolute bastard of a fight in large part because of multiple mages all spamming Darkness.
I just played the bit where she beats Viconia and becomes head of the church of Shar after executing a couple of "prisoners". Have to say that was well done and a pretty satisfactory ending...is there more to come or are you running a "redeemed/good" version of her?

Hagashager

Educated
Shadowheart's personal quest finale was an absolute bastard of a fight in large part because of multiple mages all spamming Darkness.
I just played the bit where she beats Viconia and becomes head of the church of Shar after executing a couple of "prisoners". Have to say that was well done and a pretty satisfactory ending...is there more to come or are you running a "redeemed/good" version of her?
If you keep her a Shar worshipper that fight is much easier because she can get a chunk of Viconia's forces to change sides.

If you redeem Shadowheart, everyone there is turned against you.

No, there're no more combats after Viconia.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
If there's a time for Shadowheart to use her one Divine Intervention spell, it's this fight.

Not in Tactician where nearly all of them having anti divine damage buff.

BTW if you respec after using Divine İntervention, you can use it again.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
Durge is shit.
Story is shit.
CnC was a lie.
Swen must hang.
haters-gonna-hate-dance.gif

Efe

Erudite
So you can get some gear for 100 gold each if you dont mind leveling up every time

Hagashager

Educated
Respeccing doesn't get you free gear. You still have the gear you're wearing.

Taking a hireling will give free gear though. I hired the sorcerer in the beginning so I could get his snazzy robes

jf8350143

Liturgist
You can even steal the money back so you are getting everything for free.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom