Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Blutwurstritter

Learned
I didn't like that most races acted like humans. It removes a large part of what makes fantasy settings interesting. Only the githyanki had some originality with characteristic behavior due to their race/culture. The rest was disappointingly bland.

Shig

Novice
I didn't like that most races acted like humans.
This seems to be the MO for WotC moving forward, they're really sensitive about races all of a sudden, especially "mixed" races, to the point where they're trying to erase the concept entirely from the setting. This is the consequence.

vota DC

Augur
The Humans, Elves, Dwarves and Halflings are indistinguishable from each other. T

That in 5e.

In 2E, each race is vastly different. For example, every single gnome which studies magic becomes illusionist. Dwarves can't be mages, no matter what. Each race had a distinct government type, culture, religion and so on. Even the ships in spelljammer where different. But is not only in D&D which races are more and more homogenized. See Elder Scrolls for another example, how much stuff Nords get in Morrowind and compare with Skyrim.
I remember a version that elves, dwarves and halflings are....classes. Dwarves are improved fighters with darkvision and disarm trap, elves are fighters with less health but also mages so with same levels are stronger but they are balance requiring more XP to level up while halflings are improved thieves.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
This seems to be the MO for WotC moving forward, they're really sensitive about races all of a sudden, especially "mixed" races, to the point where they're trying to erase the concept entirely from the setting. This is the consequence.

It's one of the great ironies of the woke axis that they claim to be about diversity, yet they project that there's a nice middle-class white person inside every PoC struggling to get out. They refuse to accept the differences, the quirkiness, the weirdnesses, even sometimes the dangerousness, of the various peoples who populate the earth. The even deeper irony is that you could actually get them all to behave like nice-middle-class White people, but that would require the imposition of empire and heavy manners to fucking train the bastards into obedience. And our "elites" just don't have the guts to do the necessary blowing of sepoys out of cannons like their ancestors did.

Half elves always end up being elves, half orcs are always orcs, etc. Halfbreeds reek of OC-fication (lol). Like coldsteel the hedgeheg. Mechanically they make sense though, like a half elf is just a human with infravision.
I very rarely use demihumans though. The half breeds are always part human, why don't they have like a half orc, half elf one? Or a half gnome half orc.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I remember a version that elves, dwarves and halflings are....classes. Dwarves are improved fighters with darkvision and disarm trap, elves are fighters with less health but also mages so with same levels are stronger but they are balance requiring more XP to level up while halflings are improved thieves.
In original Dungeons & Dragons from 1974, dwarves are fighters (fighting-men) with a few extra abilities, hobbits halflings are fighters with a few extra abilities, and elves are both fighters and magic-users with a few extra abilities. This was left unchanged in Holmes Basic D&D (1977). However, Moldvay/Cook B/X D&D (1981) explicitly turned the three demi-human races into separate character classes, although functionally there was hardly any difference with the previous two versions of non-advanced D&D, and this remained the same in Mentzer BECMI D&D (1983-6). By contrast, Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (1977-9) separated race from class, with the demi-human races now being able to choose from several class options (and multi-classing options), and this was maintained in AD&D 2nd edition (1989).

Delterius

Arcane
tbqh different races being just funny humans is both something i don't like very much but also hardly anything new to the genre

that said if they are gonna be human+ they might as well be well written

Shig

Novice
It's one of the great ironies of the woke axis that they claim to be about diversity, yet they project that there's a nice middle-class white person inside every PoC struggling to get out.
This reminds me of the whole "Orcs are depicted as Black Americans and this is harmful" thing that was pushed hard a little while back. I have been playing D&D since 2nd ed (and for those who might not know their timeline, that means I am old). Never once, at any of my tables (which were composed of White dudes, Asian dudes, and Hispanic dudes), did we ever make that connection. Never. But apparently, that is a big problem that has been plaguing the hobby for years according to the powers that be.
I am so tired.

Last edited:

BruceVC

Magister
It's one of the great ironies of the woke axis that they claim to be about diversity, yet they project that there's a nice middle-class white person inside every PoC struggling to get out.
This reminds me of the whole "Orcs are depicted as Black Americans and this is harmful" thing that was pushed hard a little while back. I have been playing D&D since 2nd ed (and for those who might not know their timeline, that means I am old). Never once, at any of my tables (which were composed of White dudes, Asian dudes, and Hispanic dudes), did we ever make that connection. Never. But apparently, that is a big problem that has been plaguing the hobby for years according to the powers that be.
I am so tired.
I just ignore any woke or US culture war garbage interpretations of movies, books or games unless its accurate which in most cases its not

And in your example you will find the people ranting and raging about the " symbolism " dont play or understand the game. It reminds me of this interview I heard about the GOT Netflix series in SA where the people interview hadnt either read the books or bothered to understand what George Martin based the themes and factions on

So the one women was angry and critical about the Unsullied and the Warlocks because to her Martin was being racist and clearly these factions represented black people and he was suggesting "black people are evil and should be castrated " :lol:

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
This is the truth.

BG3 is rated the best PC game of ALL TIME on metacritic.
LOL.

Metacritic :lol:

...also in Clown World, Black Panther is rated 96% on Rotten Bananas...right next to Citizen Kane!

No one cares retard.
afbeelding.png

Keep coping, you lost faggot.

"bu bu bu metacritic dosn't COUNNTTT REEEEEE!!!!"

Okay, lets look at what actual gamers who bought the game and played it think huh?

afbeelding.png

YOU LOST BY EVERY OBJECTIVE METRIC FAGGOT! KEEP CRYING ITT BITCH!

BruceVC

Magister
This is the truth.

LOL.

...also in Clown World, Black Panther is rated 96% on Rotten Bananas...right next to Citizen Kane!

No one cares retard.
afbeelding.png

Okay, lets look at what actual gamers who bought the game and played it think huh?

afbeelding.png

https://dotesports.com/baldurs-gate...es of Baldur's,stats acquired by Steamdb.info.

I just found this now so it may be old news, BG3 has sold over 22 million copies just on Steam !!!

That far exceeds what I thought and its excellent news for Larian because now all their hard work was worth it and it justifies a BG4. As I always say the real factor in the success and sustainability of any game are the sales numbers

And it also makes any Codex sentiment that BG3 is shit and degenerate irrelevant and moot because most gamers clearly dont care. But total sales so far could be over 30 million :salute:

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I just found this now so it may be old news, BG3 has sold over 22 million copies just on Steam !!!
More impressively, it sold over 20 million copies for full price. Many of these lifetime sales numbers for games you see include deep sales, but this is all full price sales.
Larian is set up well to take risks now. And since the audience got introduced to illithids, dimension hopping spaceships, and infernal engines... Spelljammer time?
If BG3 is like Divinity OS2 in Forgotten Realms, then Divinity: Dragon Commander can very easily be adapted to be a Spelljammer game. The political satire will also be trendy, and it goes down normie throats easier when its coated in deep fantasy
conservatives.JPG

Elttharion

Learned
The game sold really well but I wouldnt use Steam spy as a source. Steam kneecapped them years ago when they realized Epic used their data to choose which exclusives to poach. For example they have Elden Ring within a 20-50 million sales range on steam alone but we know that the game sold aprox. 20 million across all platforms (at least that was the last official number, from may this year). For Baldurs Gate 3 the range is also 20-50 million sales, I personally cant take this kind of data seriously.

MerchantKing

Learned
This is the truth.

LOL.

No one cares retard.
afbeelding.png

afbeelding.png

This is the truth.

LOL.

No one cares retard.
afbeelding.png

afbeelding.png

https://dotesports.com/baldurs-gate/news/baldurs-gate-3-sales-numbers-how-many-copies-has-bg3-sold#:~:text=How many copies of Baldur's,stats acquired by Steamdb.info.

That far exceeds what I thought and its excellent news for Larian because now all their hard work was worth it and it justifies a BG4. As I always say the real factor in the success and sustainability of any game are the sales numbers

And it also makes any Codex sentiment that BG3 is shit and degenerate irrelevant and moot because most gamers clearly dont care. But total sales so far could be over 30 million :salute:

Thanks for providing more evidence yet again that the goyim are stupid.

Rhobar121

Scholar
The game sold really well but I wouldnt use Steam spy as a source. Steam kneecapped them years ago when they realized Epic used their data to choose which exclusives to poach. For example they have Elden Ring within a 20-50 million sales range on steam alone but we know that the game sold aprox. 20 million across all platforms (at least that was the last official number, from may this year). For Baldurs Gate 3 the range is also 20-50 million sales, I personally cant take this kind of data seriously.
The game has been at the top of the best-selling games on Steam for months. If they still haven't sold 10 million copies, they will do it much sooner rather than later, especially when the Xbox version comes out, which will probably give +1-2 million at least.
All this for full price.

Elttharion

Learned
The game has been at the top of the best-selling games on Steam for months. If they still haven't sold 10 million copies, they will do it much sooner rather than later, especially when the Xbox version comes out, which will probably give +1-2 million at least.
All this for full price.
Good ol' rule of thumb was roughly 30 sales for each review IIRC, so more or less 10 million sales on Steam already. Of course, this is all speculation.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

If you look to negative reviews, most of them are saying stuff like "dint run in my potato pc", very few people who wrote negative reviews have good criticism towards bg3, example of a good negative review, this one : https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198048748357/recommended/1086940/

Other people complained about the performance in act 3. Saying that there is memory leak. IDK if is truth or not as I played in Linux with Proton and only had to lower the graphics a bit but din't noticed any memory leak, IDK about the mac version. About metacritic, I rather take a Pigeon opinion seriously than game journos.

t and it justifies a BG4.

I believe that Swen already said that he don't wanna to become a Forgotten Realms studio.

Hence in the most likely scenario, DOS3 will be their next game.

Spelljammer time?

I don't think that a spelljammer game will sell as well as BG3.

Just compare Spelljammer : Pirates of the realmspace sales with other SSI game sales.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Just compare Spelljammer : Pirates of the realmspace sales with other SSI game sales.
Its a very different time now, though. The casual mass audiences have been educated on nerddom by the Marvel movies. If something as goofy as Thanos and the multiverse there can sell tens of millions, this can too. The weirdest stuff - gigabrain mind control, infernal engines, teleporting spaceship, squid mind rapists, has already been sold via BG3. It can essentially be Guardians of the Galaxy, cruising on a stolen nautiloid.

Hagashager

Educated
Its a very different time now, though. The casual mass audiences have been educated on nerddom by the Marvel movies. If something as goofy as Thanos and the multiverse there can sell tens of millions, this can too. The weirdest stuff - gigabrain mind control, infernal engines, teleporting spaceship, squid mind rapists, has already been sold via BG3. It can essentially be Guardians of the Galaxy, cruising on a stolen nautiloid.
Guardians of the Galaxy is essentially every DnD campaign. I have never been in or GM'd a campaign that didn't eventually turn into a GotG, hyper-meta joke fest. Spelljammer is 100% tailor-made for exactly that kind of absurdism.

I think the best way to combat that kind of tendency is to take your setting more seriously, and force players to consider the gravity of what they're doing.

Even still, it's a balsncing act. Being a harsh GM who demands focus in their games can cone off really weird.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The problem with a expansion is that they would expand where? After act 3 everything is closed in most arcs. And after playing Palace of Ice in Solasta, I don't wanna high level 5e, high level 3e/2e is fine but a Mask of the Betrayer adaptation in 5e would be utterly boring. If they do an expansion, would be cool to see new origin characters, like a Myrkul spawn origin character, new classes like a Psionicist and subclasses and more companions. If Larian must raise the lv cap, I don't wanna any lv above 14 in 5e.

VerSacrum

Educated
The problem with a expansion is that they would expand where? After act 3 everything is closed in most arcs. And after playing Palace of Ice in Solasta, I don't wanna high level 5e, high level 3e/2e is fine but a Mask of the Betrayer adaptation in 5e would be utterly boring. If they do an expansion, would be cool to see new origin characters, like a Myrkul spawn origin character, new classes like a Psionicist and subclasses and more companions. If Larian must raise the lv cap, I don't wanna any lv above 14 in 5e.
Expansions don't need to take place at the end of the game. Could add some new questlines and areas - I dropped the game after Moonrise but I heard the city of Baldur's Gate felt unfinished.
Wouldn't get my hopes up with new classes or origins because it would be difficult to get all the VA's to record new flavour dialogues ("reactivity") for them.

Blutwurstritter

Learned
A dlc or expansion doesn't have to be directly tied to the main game. They could make some smaller stand alone adventure with the size of a single act. I don't know next to nothing about D&D story lore, but Elturel is mentioned many times in the game. I don't know if it is suited for a dlc, but I certainly wondered what happened there and thought initially we would get to visit it. It is also a bit obscure what happened before the story of game starts. I think an adventure that plays before the main events of the base game, taking place in the town of Baldurs Gate including the upper city, could also work.

Its also likely that the game gets a D:OS1/2 treatment, with an enhanced edition in a couple of years.

Rhobar121

Scholar
Expansions don't need to take place at the end of the game. Could add some new questlines and areas - I dropped the game after Moonrise but I heard the city of Baldur's Gate felt unfinished.
Wouldn't get my hopes up with new classes or origins because it would be difficult to get all the VA's to record new flavour dialogues ("reactivity") for them.
Apparently the voice actors were supposed to return to the recording studio, so Larian is definitely doing something.
Even if it is an expansion, we won't hear about it until next year

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom