Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

It's really bizarre. I can't fathom Larian's story/level design theory at all.

You have a pretty explosive opening with some urgent, heinous shit going on and then the game slams on the brakes so bad the train derails into a gorge. Everything after the intro is pure, unmitigated filler. Oh dear, some goblins are attacking some tieflings who are also tense with druids--EXCUSE ME I HAVE A WORM EATING MY BRAIN. FUCK OFF.

This is worse than Fallout 4 "Gotta find my son--ooh shiny!" for 200 hours.
It's not as bad as Bethesda crap. Remember Oblivion? There are Hellgates appearing next to every town with demons pouring out. Real End of Days shit. Yet, you're sidetracked with 1000 really insipid quests and guild nonsense and busy becoming a gladiator.

In BG3, most of the things you're doing are coincidental to following the main story. Dealing with the Tiefling/Druid situation (or not) is pretty much tied into the looking for a healer plot line (finding Halsin as a potential healer) and that also means dealing with the goblin situation. Same with the hag, she is also presents herself as a potential solution. Other stuff are things you pretty much stumble across. There's a burning inn and you rescue someone from it. Maybe the only real sidetracking is looking for Karlach and then dealing with her situation but that's just killing a bunch of assholes in a house right next to her. It takes a few minutes. I think the only thing that really harms the conceit somewhat is the frequent long rests.
Karlach isn't side tracking -- it's tied to Wyll's story. It's actually interesting though, the thing you point out. There's no theme-park-itis like in Bethesda games here: everything that you see and do is somehow related to the main quest in some way, even minor. And Wyll is tied to a metric ton of early content. There's Karlach, but also you meet an important NPC who shines more light into his situation: a certain individual related to Wyll was kidnapped, by a raiding party of drow and goblins, which you later meet when you go rescue Halsin. In fact, they are celebrating the same raid you see. So yeah, in game worldbuilding is excellent here.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Feels bad that there are no real bros in the game, well, since everything seems to have sexual undertones. Down with romance and up with bromance, I say! I just want an adventure partner of the same sex that don't want to cross swords naked, if you know what I mean. Someone to watch your back, without you having to watch the guy watching your back so you don't get raped.
What we need is a mod that removes all dialogue options that lead to gay sex.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

You have a pretty explosive opening with some urgent, heinous shit going on and then the game slams on the brakes so bad the train derails into a gorge. Everything after the intro is pure, unmitigated filler. Oh dear, some goblins are attacking some tieflings who are also tense with druids--EXCUSE ME I HAVE A WORM EATING MY BRAIN. FUCK OFF.

It's not as bad as Bethesda crap. Remember Oblivion? There are Hellgates appearing next to every town with demons pouring out. Real End of Days shit. Yet, you're sidetracked with 1000 really insipid quests and guild nonsense and busy becoming a gladiator.

In BG3, most of the things you're doing are coincidental to following the main story. Dealing with the Tiefling/Druid situation (or not) is pretty much tied into the looking for a healer plot line (finding Halsin as a potential healer) and that also means dealing with the goblin situation. Same with the hag, she is also presents herself as a potential solution. Other stuff are things you pretty much stumble across. There's a burning inn and you rescue someone from it. Maybe the only real sidetracking is looking for Karlach and then dealing with her situation but that's just killing a bunch of assholes in a house right next to her. It takes a few minutes. I think the only thing that really harms the conceit somewhat is the frequent long rests.
Karlach isn't side tracking -- it's tied to Wyll's story. It's actually interesting though, the thing you point out. There's no theme-park-itis like in Bethesda games here: everything that you see and do is somehow related to the main quest in some way, even minor. And Wyll is tied to a metric ton of early content. There's Karlach, but also you meet an important NPC who shines more light into his situation: a certain individual related to Wyll was kidnapped, by a raiding party of drow and goblins, which you later meet when you go rescue Halsin. In fact, they are celebrating the same raid you see. So yeah, in game worldbuilding is excellent here.

Everything being so directly tied to the main quest is just one of many, many design decisions that makes the world feel tiny (ironic for such an absolutely massive game) and video gamey though. I really like the game, but the lack of feeling like you’re exploring a world is easily its biggest issue in my opinion, and there are so many things causing it. Chiefly, the one-map design, of course.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Where the fuck is Baldur's Gate? They spent all that time hyping up the city and it doesn't even show up in the first two acts of the game.

I would've much preferred it if BG was a hub city and your quests take you out from the city like Athkatla from BG2. It would've also made much more sense with the main plot to reduce linearity.

Big DOS2 vibes.

Everything being so directly tied to the main quest is just one of many, many design decisions that makes the world feel tiny (ironic for such an absolutely massive game) and video gamey though. I really like the game, but the lack of feeling like you’re exploring a world is easily its biggest issue in my opinion, and there are so many things causing it. Chiefly, the one-map design, of course.
It would make sense for a threat like The Absolute to tie up several issues with every group in the land, just like the iron crisis made you wary of the weapons you were carrying in BG1. It feels gamey, but I see it as a positive, since while 5th Ed. might be or not be a good thing for you or any player, it's setting a precedent for the degree of success that a skill intensive rpg should have. It might be wishful thinking, but a lot of people who were playing action games with numbers in the past will notice that the way you design your characters matters, and that every outcome is part of a flow that you experience as part of the game. It's very good that not every outcome is pointed as the "best" way to proceed, which is something that happened way too fucking often in Bioware, Bethesda and Obsidian games.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

It would make sense for a threat like The Absolute to tie up several issues with every group in the land, just like the iron crisis made you wary of the weapons you were carrying in BG1. It feels gamey, but I see it as a positive, since while 5th Ed. might be or not be a good thing for you or any player, it's setting a precedent for the degree of success that a skill intensive rpg should have. It might be wishful thinking, but a lot of people who were playing action games with numbers in the past will notice that the way you design your characters matters, and that every outcome is part of a flow that you experience as part of the game. It's very good that not every outcome is pointed as the "best" way to proceed, which is something that happened way too fucking often in Bioware, Bethesda and Obsidian games.

Might be, but so much is sacrificed. I can’t shake this feeling that one of the biggest RPGs I’ve ever played, here, feels like one of the smallest worlds.

Where the fuck is Baldur's Gate? They spent all that time hyping up the city and it doesn't even show up in the first two acts of the game.

I would've much preferred it if BG was a hub city and your quests take you out from the city like Athkatla from BG2. It would've also made much more sense with the main plot to reduce linearity.

Big DOS2 vibes.
Well, when you got to Baldur's Gate in the first game you already had two thirds of the game over with. You actually spend very little time in the city itself.
And yeah, to counter that they changed it in 2, but in the end the hub system made every branch of the first main quest (money gathering) feel like levels in a videogame.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Game is enjoyable. But man, 5E is fucking gay. Wtf is an "Oath of the Ancients" Paladin? Shouldn't that just be a Druid?

It's almost as if some ponce was like "ermm Paladins are kind of fashyyy...devotion to Gods is offensive. There should be an order of Paladins devoted to nature..." :lol:

Lame.

Last edited:

Kiste

Augur
”I’d suck a bear off to protect the children!!!” - average larian fanboy
Say what you want, that doesn't change the fact that a lot of the shit coming from East Asia is undeniably pedo coded. Screeching about degeneracy in Western games while at the same time extolling creepy-ass Japs shit takes a lot of mental gymnastics.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Having been initially very apprehensive I must say that this is a massive step up from DoS2, having a semi-decent system really helps to restrain the Belgian retardation. So far I'm enjoying myself.

Writing is also far less stupid than I feared and is so far pretty tolerable. Either the wokeness is just around the corner or the people complaining about it are stuck up faggots (maybe both?). It's fine so far.

There are issues though, the most glaring if which is the camera which is complete garbage and makes it a bother to play. The character models are generally pretty good and the facial animations are really good but outside of that the game is fairly ugly. Also the UI is atrocious.

The level design and encounter design is also nothing to write home about but we will see.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
To hide the quest markers, in my signature.

Do the texture files actually have sensible names because all the audio files are just strings of numbers. :negative:
Sensible enough. Also, you can preview multiple textures at the same time, but only one sound file :lol:

I'd like to remove or replace the generic thundering sound when abilities are used/fired. I'm not sure how many different sounds are there but I think they've overdone the effects. I'd like only the sounds of weapons for non-magic abilities and the magic sound effect for spells. I haven't investigated where the files are yet though.

flyingjohn

Arcane
BG3 has broken most codexers. Trying to find something good in Fallout 4 /oblivion just to "spite" Larian is laughable.
Also, somehow this game has magically made the boredom called Poe good in the anti Larian eyes.

This game deserves Goty just by the virtue of pissing of Poe fanboys and Sawyer.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Can we finally say Bioware's romances in BG2 ruined story fag RPGs forever?
No, the romance in BG2 was very low key and immersive. It would trigger dialogues at long intervals so you really feel like there was enough time for some companionship to develop. For me it was a nice experience to get them in some wilderness or dungeon, the music changes and we get to know the love interests backstory some more. And it was actually romance.
How people are describing BG3 romance sounds like an orgy at every long rest, everyone trying to jump on your dick or put their dick inside of you. Just a total coomer shitfest. To me there's another bioware game that seems to be a clear predecessor to this crap, and that's Mass Effect.

Last edited:

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Sensible enough. Also, you can preview multiple textures at the same time, but only one sound file :lol:

I'd like to remove or replace the generic thundering sound when abilities are used/fired. I'm not sure how many different sounds are there but I think they've overdone the effects. I'd like only the sounds of weapons for non-magic abilities and the magic sound effect for spells. I haven't investigated where the files are yet though.

Tens of thousands, and they're not even categorized - you have sound fx, combat lines and actual dialogue one after another without any logic. Sound replacers aren't coming anytime soon because finding the right files would require some weapons-grade autism.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom